Start by marking “Olivia (The Newport Ladies Book Club)” as Want to Read:
Olivia (The Newport Ladies Book Club)

Olivia (The Newport Ladies Book Club)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  530 ratings  ·  151 reviews
The Robbins household looks perfect from the outside: no dust, no stains, no wrinkles. Yet a glimpse into its heart reveals no laughter, no closeness, no joy. Olivia thinks that if she keeps everything tidy and serves delicious meals on time, family life is bound to get better. But when her husband, Nick, misses their anniversary, she realizes no amount of domestic success ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Olivia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia

Heather
This first book in the Newport Ladies Book Club series is simply a delight to read. It’s probably my favorite Julie Wright book so far. The writing is lyrical and beautiful, and the story is hard to put down. Olivia is a 40-something year old mother who does everything for everyone. When she finds herself alone on her wedding anniversary night, she realizes she has lost herself in the process of always being there for everyone but herself. Not only has her marriage suffered, but she doesn’t know ...more
Laura Madsen
OLIVIA, by Julie Wright, is the first of The Newport Ladies Book Club series, which consists of four books, written by four authors, following the stories of four women who are drawn together by their love of reading.

Olivia is a forty-something wife and mother of four. Her husband, Nick, also has two grown children from a previous marriage but from whom he is estranged. Nick has grown distant from Olivia and their children, and she feels like her life is falling apart. Julie Wright perfectly cap
Julie
Olivia is a woman who is trying hard to build the perfect home life on the outside. She does everything a dutiful wife and mother should, but when she spends hours making a perfect anniversary dinner and sits there alone while the candles melt to nubs, she realizes that everything is not perfect in her marriage. And to top it all off, she feels like she's lost her own identity.

When her husband comes home and doesn't even apologize for missing the dinner, Olivia realizes she needs to make some ch
Brandy
I guess I have read too much good literature to enjoy fluffy cheesy LDS fiction. I was really looking forward to this series too. I mean, when I first heard about it and realized it was about a group of women who form a book club and talk about their lives I couldn't resist.

Unfortunately the book focused very little on the actual book club. It was mostly about a bad marriage and the potential divorce that was happening.

This book drove me crazy because the entire time you are in the head of Oliv
Sheila
Reading Olivia was a very emotional experience for me. Olivia told the story of a woman who has always given her all to her husband and children.Along the way she has become lost and doesn't know who she is anymore. The novel starts where Olivia and her husband, Nick, are having marital problems. All of a sudden she realizes that she needs to do something to find herself.This is when she joins a local book club, all strangers. This is a scary prospect for some people.

I loved the whole idea of th
Taffy
Mar 10, 2012 Taffy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
First line:

"He wasn't coming home."

First thing I have to say is how brilliant four author friends are to create The Newport Ladies Book Club! I'm looking forward to reading each book from four different ladies/perspectives/characters.

Olivia is the first book of the series and is written by Julie Wright.

Poor Olivia Robbins! Life is not what it looks like in her home. Her husband works more and more away from home; the children feel his absence; and Olivia cleans.

When he ditches her on their anni
Lisa
I've just finished reading the first of The Newport Ladies Book Club series: Olivia. I expected the book to be a more than adequate read, one that was well worth the time spent. What I didn't expect was to get caught up in the characters, read it in less than twenty four hours and end up in tears before the book was through.

Olivia is not your run-of-the-mill two dimensional character. Rather she's a believable, three dimensional, character with lovely strengths as well as flaws. I found myself c
Angie
I usually don't go for these LDS books about women finding a book club and finding themselves because of it. This book made me happy, though, so I liked it.

Although Olivia's marriage is on the rocks and you really want to smack her husband a couple of times, the author was able to make it so I didn't want to smack MY husband after coming out of "book land." Thank you Julie Wright for helping me avoid book-induced depression.

I like that she was able to approach someone having a struggle within
Stacey Starley
Oh I did love reading this book. It reminded me of fond memories from my own bookclub years in Maryland. I loved the discussions on different books and how the character Olivia brought themes from the book and tied them into her personal trials and joys. I loved how the characters of the club reached out to eachother in their personal lives. What a fun concept of having 4 different authors take a different character to continue the story. Brilliant and fun!
Deleen
I really enjoyed Olivia. It was perfect for what I needed in my life right now. I loved the different stories that unfolded from all the characters lives. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with any kind of problem in their life at the moment. I can't wait to read the other 3 books that are connected!
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I am so intrigued by the concept behind this series of books. It's one of the main reasons I signed on to take part in reviewing The Newport Ladies Book Club series. The genre here can best be described as Women's Fiction. The idea is that these four authors have joined together to write about different women in a book club. The stories happen simultaneously but we get to focus on one lady at a time in each book.

Olivia is the first book and the first character we really get to know. I love the c
T.J. Bronley
First, this is definitely a book written for women. More than likely, I would not have picked it up...well...except to buy it for my wife. It also helped that it is written by Julie, who is awesome if you did not know. But honestly, I liked the book. I didn't have to force myself to read it. I didn't have to use toothpicks to keep my eyes open.

Second, I actually really liked the theme I found in Olivia, which (to me) was revolved around independence. Olivia is a woman who has seemingly done what
Melissa
Even though this wasn't the "happily ever after" sort of sweet love story I have come to love from Julie Wright, I still enjoyed this book tremendously.

Olivia is a middle aged mother of four dealing with marital struggles that she doesn't understand. Her husband, Nick, has become detached and disinterested in her and, often, their family altogether. She cannot figure out what has happened or what she has done to cause this void between them. On a whim, and looking for something to bring a bit of
Nicole
Chanae
I like the idea of this series: 4 women becoming friends through a book club and each book is told from the point of view of one of the women.

This was a pretty good book. There were some touching moments. I was a little disappointed at the end. Olivia just seems too perfect. I remember at one point Olivia wonders if she has become to selfless toward everyone, except her husband... 'has she just left him to fend for himself?' That thought/idea was never resolved. We find out later why Nick (the
Terrie
This series THE NEWPORT LADIES BOOK CLUB, got my attention right away. I didn't realize it was published by Covenant (meaning it is LDS fiction), or I probably would have passed it by. For some reason LDS fiction comes across as a conversion story or Polly Perfect Profile- which I hate.

This was an ok book. Although it was shallow, it did hold my attention. I was connected to the main character's feelings and frustrations. Olivia, mother of 4, is feeling neglected by her husband, Nick, who has 2
Dlora
This is a new series about four different women in a book club, all written by different LDS authors. Only one of the ladies is LDS, which makes for some interesting discussions. I really enjoyed "listening in" on their comments about the books they read: The Poisonwood Bible, My Name is Asher Lev, Silas Marner, and they were about to read The Help when the book ended. I've read all of those except My Name is Asher Lev, and they made me want to read that one too. Olivia is the central character ...more
MaryAnn Dennis
Olivia is the first book of the series The Newport Ladies Book Club.

This is a unique series in that, each of the books are written by a different author, from a different character's point of view.

This book introduces the members of the book club from Olivia's point of view. It's almost like being a part of the club. Each member of the club has contrasting backgrounds and similar needs. They need to be needed and they need support from each other.

Olivia's story feels very real--almost too real.
Kaye Hanson
I’m intrigued by the premise—four books in a series by four different authors. In the Newport Ladies Book Club: Olivia we meet eight women. Eventually each will have a book of her own.

Julie Wright, in Olivia, has launched a “must-read” with her themes, characters, plot, humor, and style.

Wright’s theme of friendship is strengthened and modeled by the books within a book. The books the friends study together are reflective of the issues Olivia is facing in her own life. Good books they are. In fa
Sharee
I love the range of emotion that Julie has shared in The Newport Ladies Book Club’s first book of the series—Olivia! The ladies not only build lasting friendships, but they have intelligent and enlightening book discussions. Focusing on her desire to serve and eager to find out who she is, Olivia joins a ladies book club. True friendship grows and, in the dark times, her friends are a haven for her delicate emotions. She is able to share herself and her talents with her new-found friends. They i ...more
I received this book in the mail last week. I got it for free, and agreed to read it and review it.

I read the back of it the first day I got it, and new that it wasn't going to be a happy-go-lucky book. I knew that I was going to have to be in the right mood to fully appreciate it. And, I was right.

Olivia is in her mid-forties. She has a husband and six kids - two of which are step children from her husbands (Nick) previous marriage. But something's been missing for the past few years, and it t
Andrea
OLIVIA, by Julie Wright, is the first of The Newport Ladies Book Club series, which consists of four books, written by four different authors (who collaborated together), following the stories of four women who are drawn together by their love of reading. It's fun to get to know the four ladies and see what trials they are facing and how they handle them.

I really liked the main character, Olivia. She's very relatable and likable. She goes through a lot in this book and you're heartstrings are p
Andrea
I received Olivia in the mail yesterday and was very excited to start reading this first book in the Newport Ladies Book Club series. The series is written by four authors well-known in the LDS market (Julie Wright, Josi S. Kilpack, Annette Lyon, and Heather Moore). Part of what drew me to The Newport Ladies Book Club is that it is intended for a national audience. It always makes me happy seeing LDS authors using their talents for a broader market.

I don't always read book dedications and acknow
Gayle
Probably more like 4.5 stars, but I'm going to round up today. :-) I really enjoyed this story about a 40-something mom with four kids who works to please everybody but herself. She's struggling with an emotionally-absent husband and joins a neighborhood book club where she meets several other women who prove to be a great support to her. I was glad that the main character eventually realized that the problems with her marriage were not entirely her husband's fault and that she had contributed a ...more
Toni
The book brought a lot of tender feelings to the surface. I almost wondered if somehow Julie had gotten hold of my journal. As I read the story (which I had a hard time putting down) I couldn't wait for the next book in the series to come out. Even though there are four seperate authors, they are doing such a fantastic job at inteweaving the main characters lives and stories. The next book in the series (The Newport Ladies Book Club) is titled "Daisy" by Josie S. Kilpack, Then comes "Paige" and ...more
Katie Watkins
Olivia seems to have the perfect house and the perfect life...except for he fact that her husband is increasingly distant. She joins a book club and forms a bond with this eclectic groups of ladies and it becomes her lifeline.

I'm really curious how this series will play out--each book is written about a different member of the book club and by a different author. Will the story pick up where it left off, but be told from a different point of view? Or will it backtrack to where this story began,
Lara
I really enjoyed this book. I LOVE the concept of having four different authors write four different books about the same story from different characters' points of view. Brilliant.

The story was about friendship and drawing strength from those friendships during times of trial. I related a lot with Olivia, as I tend to not let anyone know when I am struggling. And then I feel like I have no friends, when I know I do, it's just they don't know I need them. :)

I also loved the book club aspect. I l
Tamera Westhoff
This was a fantastic book! I laughed, I cried and I really want to join a book club! Poor Livvy really gets put through the ringer, when she thinks that she is doing everything for everyone. Her house is always clean, she always does service for others when they ask,a nd has no idea why her husband is acting so strange. Luckily she knows he would never cheat on her. So, that is one less worry. But, she has no idea why he left. Luckily, she joins a book club that helps her by letting her serve ot ...more
Mina
This one was a slow start for me. I really didn't like Olivia much at all. She seemed to complain that things were terribly wrong, but refused to really address those issues, and at first refused to see her part in any of it. Luckily, it was one of those amazing books where the character actually developed. (Where is that sarcasm font? Not because of this book, but because of all the others where no one seems to grow or change at all.)

But I like the idea of this series, liked the relationships f
Kathy
This is the first book in The Newport Ladies Book Club series. I enjoyed the story of Olivia. Her story seemed real and relevant to women today. When her husband misses their anniversary dinner, she is forced to recognize that her life is no longer what she thought it was. She joins the book club to make friends and to try to find herself. As she gets to know the other women, she realizes that they all have struggles and everybody needs a friend. I really liked the references to the books they w ...more
Review of book 4 13 Jun 14, 2012 01:53PM
  • Daisy (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Paige (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Athena (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Twitterpated
  • Code Word
  • Rearview Mirror
  • Before I Say Good-Bye
  • Abish Mother of Faith
Julie Wright wrote her first book when she was fifteen. She's written twenty novels since then and has nine traditionally published. She is represented by Sara Crowe at Harvey Klinger Inc. She is a Whitney Awards winner for best romance with her book Cross My Heart and a Crown Heart recipient for the novel The Fortune Café.

She has one husband, three kids, one dog, and a varying amount of fish, fro
More about Julie Wright...
Cross My Heart My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life Eyes Like Mine Loved Like That Victoria's Promise (The Newport Ladies Book Club)