Start by marking “The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book” as Want to Read:
The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book

The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book

"The best beginning sewing book anyone could buy, full of excellent tips and suggestions and patterns, Sharon's and Joan's attitudes are what make it great. Their feeling is that clothes should feel good, be comfortable and sensual, easy to make, inexpensive and groovy to look at. The book is extremely practical and based on down-home common sense."
--Rags Magazine
Published 1971 by Bantam Books (first published November 30th 1970)

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book

Grace
Jul 03, 2010 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really easy to understand, and while way hippied out (among other things, it tells how to make a sorcerer's dress and a hobbitop!), it still has fewer hideous things in it than similar more modern books I've looked at, and has useful ideas. Also, it taught me that the reason "men's" clothing has buttons on the right side is because of swords! (this was told to prove that dividing clothes into men's and women's is passe)
Alessandra
Feb 05, 2012 Alessandra rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
This is an awful book. (I have the 1971 edition, and can't speak for later editions) It gives simple, almost nonexistent instructions. The illustrations are crude and cartoony and do nothing to help you grasp how to do things. If you already know everything about how to sew, this book may help you make shapeless, flat, difficult-to-move in hippie clothes. If you don't know how to sew this book will be a huge frustration.

I swear, it's like Monty Python's sketch about "How to Play the Flute" when
Daryth
Feb 23, 2017 Daryth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, almost more of a self help book. Already made a shirt and am wearing it now.
Chrissy McCann
I'm new to sewing. I don't think this book is meant for a novice. Perhaps using different language in regards to technique would make it easier. I do feel that this book would be better for altering or transforming your current clothes more than actually making something from scratch. She often says to lay out a piece of current clothing and then trace it. Obviously I'm new to this stuff, but that doesn't seem like it would always work...for pants perhaps. She also doesn't seem to go into too mu ...more
Nov 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing
Fun! A reprint of a book first published in 1971. I love the Boston Public Library... I look for books about sewing from your own patterns, and find two books that together answer my questions. This book, along with the more structured "Make Your Own Patterns...." makes it seem very do-able to design and sew some simple things in a few evenings. Last summer I started making skirts because I couldn't find the exact skirt I wanted for summer and then realized how easy it would be to make exactly w ...more
Jen Johnson
Aug 04, 2010 Jen Johnson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty
Interesting in more of a time-capsule way, this is a book that was originally printed in the 70s and it's quite obvious. If you are interested in modifying your existing jeans and scarves to bell bottoms and halter tops (sans bra, of course), then this is the book for you. Not something I would recommend for someone looking to learn how to sew, unless they are a verifiable hippie and would prefer to learn the way people did back then.
Angie
Oct 16, 2008 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The idea is good. The patterns look a little outdated. Maybe if you are into more of a bohemian style....I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could find a way to update the ideas.
Karin
Oct 14, 2008 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft, sewing, hippie
Who knew sewing would be so politically subversive. ;-) My daughter is excited to try some of these projects.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2013
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Muriel
Muriel rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Carmen Leigih
Carmen Leigih rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Kristin Sauter
Kristin Sauter rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Cara Walker
Cara Walker rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2012
Sarah rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2011
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2008
Anne
A dated, yet fascinating look at a sewing culture.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2011
Ustaaza T.
Ustaaza T. rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Kristyn
Kristyn rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2010
Dvorah Chanah
Dvorah Chanah rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2013
Jan Ryberg brod
Jan Ryberg brod rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Athena
Athena rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
L. Beth McKinney
L. Beth McKinney rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Megan Maggot
Megan Maggot rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2010
Rosemary Bagley
Rosemary Bagley rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2012
Belinda
Belinda rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2014
Jojo Bruse
Jojo Bruse rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2015