Start by marking “The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book” as Want to Read:
The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book

The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"The best beginning sewing book anyone could buy, full of excellent tips and suggestions and patterns, Sharon's and Joan's attitudes are what make it great. Their feeling is that clothes should feel good, be comfortable and sensual, easy to make, inexpensive and groovy to look at. The book is extremely practical and based on down-home common sense."
--Rags Magazine
Published 1971 by Bantam Books (first published November 30th 1970)

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book

Grace
This book is really easy to understand, and while way hippied out (among other things, it tells how to make a sorcerer's dress and a hobbitop!), it still has fewer hideous things in it than similar more modern books I've looked at, and has useful ideas. Also, it taught me that the reason "men's" clothing has buttons on the right side is because of swords! (this was told to prove that dividing clothes into men's and women's is passe)
Alessandra
Jul 03, 2012 Alessandra rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
This is an awful book. (I have the 1971 edition, and can't speak for later editions) It gives simple, almost nonexistent instructions. The illustrations are crude and cartoony and do nothing to help you grasp how to do things. If you already know everything about how to sew, this book may help you make shapeless, flat, difficult-to-move in hippie clothes. If you don't know how to sew this book will be a huge frustration.

I swear, it's like Monty Python's sketch about "How to Play the Flute" when
Chrissy Simonsen
I'm new to sewing. I don't think this book is meant for a novice. Perhaps using different language in regards to technique would make it easier. I do feel that this book would be better for altering or transforming your current clothes more than actually making something from scratch. She often says to lay out a piece of current clothing and then trace it. Obviously I'm new to this stuff, but that doesn't seem like it would always work...for pants perhaps. She also doesn't seem to go into too mu ...more
Fun! A reprint of a book first published in 1971. I love the Boston Public Library... I look for books about sewing from your own patterns, and find two books that together answer my questions. This book, along with the more structured "Make Your Own Patterns...." makes it seem very do-able to design and sew some simple things in a few evenings. Last summer I started making skirts because I couldn't find the exact skirt I wanted for summer and then realized how easy it would be to make exactly w ...more
Jen Johnson
Interesting in more of a time-capsule way, this is a book that was originally printed in the 70s and it's quite obvious. If you are interested in modifying your existing jeans and scarves to bell bottoms and halter tops (sans bra, of course), then this is the book for you. Not something I would recommend for someone looking to learn how to sew, unless they are a verifiable hippie and would prefer to learn the way people did back then.
Angie
The idea is good. The patterns look a little outdated. Maybe if you are into more of a bohemian style....I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could find a way to update the ideas.
Anne
A dated, yet fascinating look at a sewing culture.
Delores Jenkins
Delores Jenkins marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Melissa Prange
Melissa Prange marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Jaz
Jaz added it
Jan 18, 2014
Rebecca Burnett
Rebecca Burnett marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Abi
Abi added it
Aug 20, 2013
Alexandra Ward
Alexandra Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Damilola11
Damilola11 marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Maryam
Maryam marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A Practical Guide to Adopting the Universal Verification Methodology (UVM) A Practical Guide to Adopting the Universal Verification Methodology (Uvm) Second Edition Son Of Hassle Free Sewing The Denim Book The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book