Start by marking “Closure, Limited” as Want to Read:
Closure, Limited

Closure, Limited

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  867 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
A terrifying new collection of short stories from the master of zombie fiction, Max Brooks, bestselling author of World War Z, The Zombie Survival Guide and Recorded Attacks.
Published February 16th 2012 by Gerald Duckworth & Co Ltd (first published June 1st 2011)

Becky
I really enjoy Max Brooks' stories. I love his insightful way of looking at the zombie culture, what it represents, what it means for us, what we would, or could, do about it if it were to occur.

I recently recommended Max's World War Z to a friend, and loaned him my copy so he could read it. (Don't worry, it's back in my possession now, and unharmed. :D) He returned it with the comment that it was probably one of the best stories about society in crisis he'd ever read, and that the realism was i
Alice
Jan 04, 2015 Alice rated it it was ok
Shelves: zombies
If I had paid 5.99 for this book I'd have been extremely pissed off! It's only 120 pages (the print over covers about three quarters of the page).. and.. well it's not great. I loved LOVED World War Z but this does not live up to it, it's wreaks of cheap, lazy money making off the back of that. Even the writing isn't up to Brook's usual standard.

I can only assume the endorsements on the back are for World War Z, and whoever wrote the blurb that calls this a "terrifying new collection of short s
Georgina
Jun 10, 2013 Georgina rated it really liked it
This is a great little book with a few short zombie stories...If you're expecting descriptions of gore however then avoid this book, this looks more at the survivors and the war they wage upon the undead in order to survive. It deals with self sacrifice, hope and strategy. I particularly enjoyed the story 'The Extinction Parade' because it dealt with vampires too..

All in all a great book if you're after something to read in a day, however it fell short of 5 stars because I would have liked to ha
Chris Bissette
Feb 06, 2013 Chris Bissette rated it liked it
This collection of four stories from World War Z author Max Brooks is good fun, and a nice addition to his growing body of WWZ-related works.

The book opens and closes with stories told in the same style as World War Z - that is, interviews with survivors of the war. It's a style that works well for Brooks, and I love getting a glimpse into the minds of the different characters that he has populated his world with. Opening story 'Closure, Limitied' (the title story of the collection) is the best
Toby
Apr 17, 2012 Toby rated it it was ok
I don't feel that such a short "book" deserves a long review, so it won't get one. Four stories are in this book, none of which are especially good or well written. One features vampires which, for me, was a complete turn off. I love zombies and all they represent, however I find vampires uninteresting and personally would prefer to keep the two undead creatures far distant from each other!

Annoyed by that, the poor quality of the stories, and the sense that I'd paid to read something that has b
Rodrigo Campos
Para ser mi primera lectura de temática Zombie, me pareció "entretenido", tiene 4 pequeñas historias que, según pude leer en internet son de formato similar al libro anterior del mismo autor: "Guerra Mundial Z", [el cuál aún no leo pero pretendo leer próximamente].

La primera de ellas titulada "El camino a la extinción", a mi parecer fue la mejor, explica de manera un tanto humorística la lucha entre vivos y no-muertos, desde el particular punto de vista de un "ser" que se alimenta de humanos (no
Mhairi
Jan 30, 2014 Mhairi rated it liked it
Originally posted at Mhairi Reads.

Coming in at a baby 124 pages, Max Brook’s collection of four short stories continues on from the amazing World War Z. It took me a while to pick up a copy of this, only because it was initially retailing at around $20 (AU) at my local bookstore and I couldn’t justify spending that much on a tiny book, even if its predecessor is one of my all time favourite novels.

I came to this with pretty high expectations. Of the four stories, I most enjoyed ‘The Extinction P
Vold Kira
Por ser Max Brooks, quien considero máxima autoridad en cuanto a universo Zombi se refiere, no me planteé dos veces comprarme este libro en cuanto lo vi. Fue amor a primera vista.
Sin embargo me decepcionó bastante. Me imaginaba relatos del calibre (mínimo) de la Guía de Supervivencia. Ya sabemos que Guerra Mundial Z es la obra máxima de Brooks, y por tanto no esperaba tanto, pero ¡tampoco esperaba algo tan random como lo que me ofreció aquí!
El primer relato, el cual menciona la preocupación de l
Jim Shaughnessy
Feb 22, 2012 Jim Shaughnessy rated it it was ok
Sadly, Brooks fails to live up to the quality of his previous work here. Weak storylines, lack of resolution and one story that is too bizarre even for zombie fiction makes this book one to not worry about missing.
Nona
Jun 30, 2015 Nona rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, read-in-2015
Four stories set during the zombie apocalypse depicted in World War Z. Only one of them takes the exact format of the interviews in the book; another seems to have the same narrator, except that this time the narrator becomes part of the narrative (I don't believe that happened in World War Z, but it has been some years since I read it). The brief slice-of-life vignette is depressing, but it's supposed to be. A story of vampires coming to understand how badly their food supply is threatened is m ...more
Johan Wilbur
Tras la extraordinaria Guerra Mundial Z (Seguramente la versión mas realista y verosímil de una epidemia zombi escrita hasta la fecha) Brooks sacó esta especie de “continuación” que consta de tan solo cuatro historias más y a la vez ofrece un punto de vista nuevo al no ser ya tan parecido, digamos, lo cual está muy bien.

Como digo, es cierto que como continuación de GMZ sabe a muy poco, pero de las cuatro historias, sobre todo dos de ellas están muy bien y no me arrepiento de haberlo leído. Pero
Adam
Mar 20, 2014 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
A very short book - disappointingly short. The stories within were worth reading, however perhaps only buy this book if on offer.
Natalie Bowers
Yvette
Apr 29, 2016 Yvette rated it did not like it
this book is a mess, and none of the short stories had any of the greatness of World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. i have major issues with the formatting too - did anybody even vet through before they published?? it's hard to read when you can't even figure out who is speaking. ugh. i knew there was a reason i put off reading this book even though i love wwz so much.

what a disappointment. i don't want to have this book associated with wwz :(
Mel
May 25, 2015 Mel rated it it was amazing
The only problem with this collection was it was too small! But what was there was great. The first story was a rather disturbing consequence of WWZ which was very good. There was a very claustrophobic story of a man starving to death while zombie hoards waited outside. There was a story about how Vampires weren't comping with the zombie plague, and one about the zombie war in China. (Which was only let down by the mention of the Xia dynasty building the wall. I think he meant Qin!) I'm not norm ...more
Javi
Mar 21, 2015 Javi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi relación con el señor Brooks es amor-odio total. Me gusta darle una oportunidad a sus libros ya que me gusta el género y lo considero un buen escritor; y con potencial suficiente como para que alguno de sus libros termine por gustarme de principio a fin; pero por ahora, aunque me pese, no ha sucedido con ninguno.

Este libro está formado por cuatro relatos.

Lo empecé especialmente por el primero: una historia narrada por vampiros en la que se cuenta cómo los primeros humanos se convirtieron en z
Dawn Peers
Mar 21, 2013 Dawn Peers rated it it was ok
"No closure, whatsoever"

I am a huge fan of Max Brooks' work and of World War Z, as I am sure practically everyone who buys this is.

If you have never read any of Brooks' work before, do not buy this as a first foray in to his work, it doesn't do him justice at all.

I was so excited to hear another Brooks' compendium of stories was coming out. Imagine my disappointment when a wafer thin 'tome' with paper quality matching that of a pulp paperback landed on my door.

Still, not to be one to judge the b
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
Jul 21, 2013 Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) rated it really liked it
Max Brooks has such a way of bringing his writing to life that I can scarcely wrap my mind around it. He mingles fantasy and the paranormal so seamlessly into our reality that I find myself getting ready to defend myself against the "subdead" hordes and pray I have enough knowledge to survive the onslaught.

I truly enjoyed all the short stories in this small anthology. I enjoyed the contrasts of each story while enjoying the similarities in turn.

The "Introduction" gives a nice introduction into t
Marcos Bolaños
Dec 19, 2012 Marcos Bolaños rated it liked it
Un libro demasiado corto con 4 historias, 2 de las cuales al parecer fueron "deshechadas" de su magnifico libro World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War y con buena razón, ya que esas dos historias no estaban a la altura de las que si fueron incluidas en el otro libro.

La mas rescatable, desde mi punto de vista, es la historia de los vampiros, probablemente por ser la mas larga, pero te da una visión totalmente diferente a lo que ya se había visto, por eso me gusto.

Este libro es para alguie
David McDonald
Sep 15, 2013 David McDonald rated it liked it
Closure, Limited and other zombie tales is written by Max Brooks, the man behind World War Z, one of my favourite books EVER.

So, with this much anticipation built up, you can imagine my disappointment when this book arrived and I found it to be very slim indeed. In fact, there's less than 130 pages and only four short stories, of which, Closure, Limited only takes up TWELVE pages.

Trying to set this negative feeling aside, I started reading and easily chewed my way through the contents of this bo
Tom
Dec 12, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok
Shelves: other-books
The book was alright; the stories were riveting to read and it was short enough to digest in a single day, although you can probably get more from it. Again, it is really fantastically written and a solid read. The small collection is let down by two stories: the first story is taken from the World War Z book; and while fun it's not really new. If you'd read Z you can probably just skip it.
The second let down was the incorporation of Vampires in the the Extinction story. Brooks' work has alway
Valeottantadue
non ho letto World War Z e la mia conoscenza di Brooks si limita a questo libercolo. Davvero poco in effetti..
Si tratta di 4 storie brevi a tema zombie. la prima la parata degli estinti è quella che mi è piaciuta di più. All'inizio non riuscivo a capire chi o meglio cosa fosse il protagonista,non capivo la curiosità morbosa di voler vedere i non morti e il fatto che questi non potessero nuocerlo,anzi nemmeno lo notano, come sottolinea lui stesso..beh era anche lui un non morto..ma di natura div
Matteo Pellegrini
Feb 03, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror

In un mondo devastato da scenari apocalittici, vampiri e zombi si contendono la vittoria sull'umanità per garantirsi la sopravvivenza eterna. Una giovane operaia cinese ricorda con orrore l'attacco dei morti viventi alla Grande muraglia. Fred è rinchiuso in uno stanzino senza cibo né acqua da non sa più quanti giorni, braccato da orde di zombi che gemono e si agitano là fuori. Un "sopravvissuto" racconta il suo nuovo lavoro: ricostruire i corpi e gli effetti personali delle vittime della guerra

René Venegas
Apr 06, 2016 René Venegas rated it it was ok
it plainly sucks, horrible for a good part of it only the last and first stories are any good in the world war z universe though the first one was good it just doesn't fit within the world war z Canon or lore

the second one had a nice twist but it was sort of hard to follow not at all in his style it really disappointed me
Cody
Mar 21, 2016 Cody rated it liked it
Though the stories are short, each one is great in its own way. Brooks thinks of complex ways of coping with the zombie apocalypse, but more importantly the self. The addition of vampires into this apocalyptic world may be disliked by some. Not as good as world war z, but overall enjoyable.
L.K. Jay
Aug 16, 2012 L.K. Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I was introduced to this by a friend and by reading this series of short stories, I was encouraged to read World War Z by the same author.

It does help to have read the novel first before reading these as you will understand the world better but nonetheless, I was able to understand the basic principles of the zombie world. I liked the tone of the stories, they treated their subject seriously, thus lending them more credibility rather than being tongue in cheek and losing their impact.

I thought i
Colin
Aug 16, 2012 Colin rated it really liked it
I powered through this on my lunch breaks at work over the past week. A very enjoyable little read. Normally I'm not a fan of short stories, because if they're bad, well... they're bad, and if they're good, then it leaves you with literary blue-balls, despite how enjoyable they might have been.

This gets four stars purely for the segment about an undead plague from the point of view of a vampire. Zombies and vampires are my two favourite fictional supernatural phenomena, and this story looked at
Gretchen
Feb 19, 2014 Gretchen rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed the two stories that bookend the collection, because both are further tales from WWZ. The other two stories were fair to okay. I enjoyed the vampire tale more than the other one, which I didn't find engaging.
Gerardo Lozano
Feb 03, 2016 Gerardo Lozano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me dieron ganas de leer de nuevo sus otros libros. El último cuento me puso a pensar en la situación de muchos de nuestros compatriotas que no han vuelto a ver a sus seres queridos desaparecidos en por la inseguridad en el país. triste...
Max Gearing
May 17, 2014 Max Gearing rated it it was amazing
I loved this book i bought it the other day beacuse i love max brooks and his work it shows how good a writer he is by the fact he can write a short story and still get you hooked great book.
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • The Book of All Flesh
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • The Living Dead 2 (The Living Dead, #2)
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205
  • The Wind Through the Fence
  • Crusade (Eden #2)
  • Necrópolis (Los caminantes, #2)
  • Best New Zombie Tales Vol. 1
  • Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • Monster Planet (Monster Island, #3)
  • In the Dead: Volume 1
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • Shattered Hourglass (Day by Day Armageddon,#3)
  • History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • World War Moo: An Apocalypse Cow Novel
Max Brooks is The New York Times bestselling author of The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. He has been called ”the Studs Terkel of zombie journalism.“

Brooks is the son of director Mel Brooks and the late actress Anne Bancroft. He is a 1994 graduate of Pitzer College. His wife, Michelle, is a screenwriter, and the couple have a son, Henry.
More about Max Brooks...