Start by marking “Legion (Legion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legion (Legion, #1)

Legion (Legion #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  21,059 Ratings  ·  1,994 Reviews
"Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his 'aspects' are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing ...more
Published August 31st 2012 by Subterranean Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Legion, please sign up.

Diogo Yeah, they resolve most of the problems that arise within the book, of course there is still the overall plot, and some questions for next book, or…moreYeah, they resolve most of the problems that arise within the book, of course there is still the overall plot, and some questions for next book, or else it wouldn't be much of a series.(less)
The Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Final Empire by Brandon SandersonWords of Radiance by Brandon SandersonThe Hero of Ages by Brandon SandersonThe Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
Best Brandon Sanderson Books
12th out of 35 books — 440 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenInsurgent by Veronica RothGone Girl by Gillian FlynnCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClarePandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Best Books of 2012
405th out of 3,210 books — 9,451 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Jan 29, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I've yet to be disappointed by any Brandon Sanderson story I've picked up, and this novella continues his winning streak.

This is a cool take on a detective story, and honestly, I'd be surprised if someone in LA hasn't grabbed the rights to turn this into a TV show. It's a show I'd love to watch.

I only have two quibbles with this book, and it only relates to the Audio version, not with the story itself.

1. There were only two tracks on the audio version of the book, each about an hour long. Tha
Kat Stark
Feb 29, 2016 Kat Stark rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kat Stark by: Robin (Bridge Four)
Shelves: fantasy, shorts, reviewed

Second Book: Legion: Skin Deep

I really liked this one. Don't hate/judge me but this is my first Sanderson read. HEY! I said don't judge. I'll get to his series soon (all of them are on my TBR practically because you GR people rate them so damn high).

And really, I'm not surprised that this short story turned out to be great. Especially when it starts of with a bunch of people living inside a person's brain. Leeds has handfuls of people living in his mansion...only they're not really people. They
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Nov 22, 2015 Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) by: Kat Stark

2015 reads : Give me a flood of crazy people, 'kay?

Now, that was pretty awesome.

Wow. Stephen Leeds is the most intriguing and fascinating character I've read about for a very long time. Slightly disturbing - but in a good way, if that's possible, as he kept my interest with his multi-layered personality that we can't easily simplify. Now that I think about it, he gives a whole new meaning to the word multi-layered.

"The thing is, I'm really only the reclusive part. And maybe, admittedly, the
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

Brilliant. This is just brilliant. And cool. Very cool.

Do I really have to review this story? It's too awesome for words. You really should just read it.
“Your hallucination . . .” “Yes?” “Your hallucination has hallucinations.” “Yes.” She settled back, looking disturbed.
Brandon Sanderson I love you. The premise of this story is pure genius.
“I’m not a hallucination,” J.C. snapped. “I have state
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This is a nifty little science fiction/mystery novella, with the detective role played by Stephen Leeds and his legion of hallucinatory, brilliant alter egos.

The mystery, which involves a search for a mysterious camera that can take pictures of people and events at any time in the past, a device that's been used before in at least a couple of classic science fiction works that I know of, Isaac Asimov's short story The Dead Past and "E for Effort," a novella collected in The Science Fiction Hall
Armina
Nov 24, 2014 Armina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Armina by: Gavin

Buddy reading book #2: Legion: Skin Deep tomorrow November 25th with the usual suspects. :) If you still haven't read this one, now is the time!

4.5 STARS

One of the best opening lines ever: "My name is Stephen Leeds, and I'm perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad."

This was a hilarious read not less amusing than Steelheart hence the rating I'm giving it.

Stephen Leeds, a.k.a. "Legion", is a genius whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personali
Danae
Feb 26, 2015 Danae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope I meet Brandon Sanderson one day because I'd like to ask him what kind of subliminal drug he puts in his work. That has to be the explanation for why I couldn't stop reading while eating dinner, or why I stayed up extra late to finish the book when I knew it would cost me today and didn't care. Please don't stop though, Mr. Sanderson. I'll take all the subliminal drugs from you I can get.

Legion was a fun, laugh out loud story and I can't wait to see what crazy adventure happens in the nex
seak
Sep 26, 2012 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
With Brandon Sanderson, you can always expect something unique and well thought out. It's not even a question. Well, maybe a bit because of that whole finishing the Wheel of Time thing...but otherwise, you can expect what I just said.

That's one of the best parts about reading Sanderson. Yeah, he's got great characters, compelling plot twists and stuff. But what makes him a pleasure to read is the way he makes something like epic fantasy vibrant and new. His unique ideas and magic systems become
Robin (Bridge Four)
4 I see Imaginary People Stars.

Quick Re-read before Legion: Skin Deepis released.

If that isn’t a great opening line to a story I don’t know what is. Brandon Sanderson is great at thinking outside of the box and congratulations again on coming up with an incredibly unusual premise to write a story on.

I really like that the main character is a functional crazy person. Sure he has hallucinations bu
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I am quickly becoming a HUGE Brandon Sanderson fan. I only recently become introduced to Sanderson a couple of months ago when I read Steelheart and I am starting to realize that I have really been missing out. This story was completely unique and entertaining. I love how different this story was from anything I have ever encountered before. This story is short but it is highly complex and detailed.

I decided to read this story becaus
Kelly
Jan 09, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
"Your hallucinations has Hallucinations"

Well, Well, Well, this was such an intriguing read. It goes without saying that I love legion and his band of weird but loving personalities/aspects, that comes along with him. JC I must admit was my favorite. He had me in stitches.

This concept is amazing. The only downfall was that this was way too too short. I'm speeding off too read Skin Deep. I want more from these characters and Mr Leeds.

~~Sanderson Never Fails~~
Michael
Sep 27, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
I've been a big fan of Brandon Sanderson for a number of reasons. His excellent Mistborn (he really knows how to develop a magic system and kick off a story with a bang). His participation with readers (such as him stopping in on reddit), his desire to bundle print and ebooks, and for his excellent writing classes (which have been video taped and posted).

So when I heard about this short story I picked it up immediately and read it in a single sitting. It was nice seeing the humor of this piece a
Paige  *an exploding fluffball* Bookdragon
Why so shoooort?

description

Legion is a short story about Stephen Leeds who has multiple aspects.

I’m a Sandersonitis for life and when I saw this book in a book sale, I immediately grabbed it. (Of course I paid for it.) I know this book wouldn’t disappoint because it’s A BRANDON SANDERSON BOOK . His name alone is guarantee.

Although this book is only 88 pages (sooo shoooort), it’s still as awesome the way a S
Phrynne
Mar 16, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
Only eighty pages long but they are eighty pages of sheer genius! Brandon Sanderson is a truly remarkable author and to be able to include so much in such a short novella is amazing. Luckily there is a sequel already in print which I believe is a bit longer. I will be searching it out immediately to find out what happens to Stephen Leeds and his multiple personae.
Evgeny
May 27, 2013 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Stephen Leeds also known as Legion has multiple personality disorder. He would be a schizophrenic, but actually he is a genius, most probably the smartest currently living person. People ask him for help in two cases: either to study him, or to solve a very difficult problem - like an inventor disappearing with his invention and all related notes.

It is Brandon Sanderson. What else needs to be said? Good writing, interesting story. My only problem is that I could swear I read about exactly the sa
Vilda
Rating: 3,5 stars

This was good, but I wish it had been longer. I'm very glad it has a sequel right now! I loved all of his hallucinations and they totally made the story. Especially the three we got to know the best; our walking Wikipedia, the Navy SEAL who doesn't believe he's a hallucination and the psychologist who's very aware of being a hallucination and analyzes our main character... I want a lot more of them!

My first Brandon Sanderson story and I can't wait to try more. I've heard great t
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
Legion reminds me of Sherlock.

Legion has a "mental condition" and creates hallucinations - imaginary people with specialized abilities that help him solve things. This was a pretty good short story. I'm not sure I'd want to read a full-length novel about Legion, but this was an entertaining, quick read. There were a few really good one-liners. One of his hallucinations has hallucinations. It was fun.

Gavin
Nov 24, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've read this short contemporary fantasy novella multiple times and it is always an entertaining read. In this story Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,'and his multitude of 'aspects' are hired to track down the missing inventor of a potentially magical camera, which has the ability to take photos of the past. Stephen is a very likable character and he uses the knowledge gleaned from his various aspects to help him solve the case.

The best part of this has to be the witty banter between Stephen and his
Kaora
Jun 12, 2014 Kaora rated it it was amazing
Short Stories.

I hate them. They are over FAR too quickly.

And never has this been more true than with this one: a story about Stephen Leeds, a unique (to say the least) who lives with hallucinations with a variety of skills (and mental conditions). A Navy Seal, a schizophrenic philosopher and many more. Skills he puts to use
solving the mystery of the stolen camera.

Never have I been more happy to see an expected publication date on a book.

GIVE ME BOOK TWO BRANDON.

Becky
I scooped this one up quicker than lightning when I heard it was available for free on Audible. I love me some BSands. And this story did not disappoint, though it wasn't at all what I expected.

In fact, the first little while of the story reminded me a lot of a Joe Hill story. I love both authors, and both are men I'd gladly leg-hump in a flicker of a heartbeat were I to run into either of them on the street... or in a bar... or in their kitchens.

But I digress.

I love both authors, but they ha
Desinka
Nov 24, 2014 Desinka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read January 24-28, 2014: 4.5 stars but I'm rounding up because of the entertainment level. I really enjoyed this.

Reread November 24, 2014: Same rating, not full five stars because it was too short! I loved Steven and his aspects even more this second time:) I'm looking forward to learning more about the mysterious camera and his even more mysterious girlfriend tomorrow:)
Alexa
Aug 27, 2015 Alexa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
When I was young I read Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities and while the book has been proved to be a sham, I still find the idea of multiple personalities fascinating, so I was obviously interested in this book.

And I have to say I loved Sanderson's take on multiple personalities and how it differs from the textbook disorder.

The characters (or should I say character?) are well thought, each quite distinctive and filling a specific niche in Stephen's lif
Sid
Feb 15, 2015 Sid rated it really liked it
Legion (1st instalment of the series) is a novella (and a short one at that) so I'm not telling you anything about the storyline. In true Snaderson style, it reads beautifully and unlike his immensely acclaimed Mistborn series which is an epic fantasy, this one is a sci-fi/crime hybrid. The premise is unique and intriguing. The characters are tremendously fascinating! I can't wait to start the next book. I took one star away only because i reserve 5 stars for books that leave me with myriad insi ...more
Athena Shardbearer
Jun 17, 2014 Athena Shardbearer rated it it was amazing
I don't know if there is anything that Sanderson writes that I will not like. He straight to the point, give you the facts and lets you process the rest on your own. He knows how to develop characters that you both hate or love. This was short and good, and I want more!!!

Kat  Hooper
Sep 08, 2012 Kat Hooper rated it liked it
3.5 stars Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

I’m a fan of Brandon Sanderson’s vivid imagination, so I was happy to get a copy of Legion, his new 88 page stand-alone novella. It’s about Stephen Leeds, a man who’s been diagnosed with schizophrenia because he sees and hears people who don’t exist. The thing about Stephen, though, is that unlike most schizophrenics’ hallucinations, the people in Stephen’s head actually help him. They all have their own talents and areas of expertise (and their
Amar
Sep 09, 2015 Amar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015, kindle
Huh , mogao bi ja dobit batina zbog ovih niskih ocjena koje dajem Sandersonu :)

Ideja jeste interesantna i u trenutcima jako smiješna zbog likova , ali sam neimpresionisan realizacijom .

Od mene trojka .
Leon Aldrich
A long time fan of Sanderson's, I reserved this book from my local library. A novella of less than 100 pages, this paranormal fare should be read by anyone who likes: fantasy, science fiction, paranormal fiction, thrillers, and the authors Stephen King, Dean Koontz, & Anne Rice (just for starters).

Maria (Big City Bookworm)
3.5 stars rated up

A lot of book bloggers praise the work of Brandon Sanderson and he is mentioned in a lot of people’s favourite authors list, but I personally had never read a novel written by him. I honestly had no idea where to start. I have recently started listening to audio books through Audible which was where I spotted Legion on sale for a great bargain price. The synopsis intrigued me and I thought, what better way is there to join the Brandon Sanderson experience other than a cheap a
Jaya
My second Sanderson.
This man has the strange (& incredible) ability of making you believe into his fantasies as reality (atleast I did, for the second time).

Less than a 100 page novella which pulls you right in and packs quite a punch.

" your hallucination has hallucination"

Definitely recommended.

* where is the second book, now...*

Krbo
Jul 03, 2016 Krbo rated it liked it
Simpatično.

Odlična ideja, glavni junak je običan, normalan čovjek (kako i sam često ističe) jedino su njegove višestruke halucinacijske osobnosti lude. A poneke halucinacije imaju i svoje halucinacije :)

I to bi bilo to, Stephen bi bio stalni pacijent institucija da se on s tim nije savršeno uklopio, da ti "aspekti" njega (kako ih naziva) nisu super stručnjaci u raznim područjima što mu omogućuje da bude prilično tražena roba u svijetu, prije svega detektivskom, da odlično zarađuje (jer je skupo
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • METAtropolis: The Dawn of Uncivilization
  • Earth Below, Sky Above (The Human Division, #13)
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar, #1)
  • Into the Storm (Iron Kingdoms)
  • Unfettered
  • Dominion (The Coldfire Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Working for Bigfoot (The Dresden Files, #15.5)
  • By Grace and Banners Fallen: Prologue to A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #13.5)
Brandon’s major books for the beginning of 2016 are The Bands of Mourning , the sixth Mistborn novel, and Calamity , the finale of the Reckoners trilogy.

He also released his longest novella yet, Mistborn: Secret History , which explores behind the scenes of the original Mistborn Trilogy and thus is filled with spoilers for those three books; it also has some spoilers for The Bands of Mourning.

B
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Legion (2 books)
  • Skin Deep (Legion, #2)

“My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.” 48 likes
“I’m not going more mad,” I said. “I’ve stabilized. I’m practically normal. Even my non-hallucinatory psychiatrist acknowledges that.” 11 likes