Start by marking “Retirement Quest: Make Better Decisions” as Want to Read:
Retirement Quest: Mak...

John Hauserman

Retirement Quest: Make Better Decisions

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  15 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Make better decisions . . .
• Get the unbiased advice you need
• Avoid costly mistakes
Where are you getting your financial advice? How do you know your interests are being safeguarded? How do you know that your advisors are competent? How can you know they’re putting your interests first?
John Hauserman has spent years building a better way for you to pursue your investme
Published 2011 by Retirement Journey, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Retirement Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retirement Quest

Renae Mackley
Feb 06, 2012 Renae Mackley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 124 page book is RetirementQuest: Make Better Decisions by John Hauserman. The back cover states the book's purpose as showing how to get unbiased advice and avoiding costly mistakes."If you want to build a secure financial future, this is the book that will help show you how." I agree that this novice-friendly book is an aid and covers these purposes, but not meant to be all inclusive. It is a good starting place.
Mr. Hauserman begins by pointing out how there is a greater need for financia
Tamera Westhoff
Feb 03, 2012 Tamera Westhoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! There is a lot of information in this little book! It starts off with a lot of scares (if you think that Social Security is still going to be around when you retire). I personally have thought that the only way I am getting any help after I stop working is if my husband or I get a fantastic job that gives retirement. The likelihood is slim, so I am pretty much counting on saving money like crazy, once we both get real jobs and can afford to put away more money. I like the examples used to s ...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
Disclosure: I know nothing about economics or finance, because I'm a college student studying journalism and English. As far as I know, the things presented in this book sounded like good ideas; however, I personally knew nothing about the retirement process before reading this book

My Rating: I never know how to rate non-fiction. But I'll give this a 4, because it was informative, not boring, and put things in terms anybody could understand.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Like I said in the dis
Christine Jensen
Jan 31, 2012 Christine Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be completely honest, when asked to review this title, I wasn't sure what I would think. I often struggle to finish books that don't have a swiftly moving plot line, and non-fiction is the hardest for me. A book about investments and retirement...yeah I pretty much expected to fall asleep quickly when I attempted to read it. But I was surprised to find that Hauserman has a talent for making finances make sense and explaining ideas, that might seem at times overwhelming, in a way that really h ...more
Marcyhowes
Feb 03, 2012 Marcyhowes rated it liked it
I have just finished reading “Retirement Quest: Make Better Decisions” by John Hauserman, CFP. I was more than interested when asked to review this book and looked forward to reading it since I feel that my DH and I could be doing a better job of preparing financially for our retirement years. I have a very basic understanding of financial planning and investments, but I am far from being an expert, and this book is a valuable addition to our bookshelves. I found the book easy to read and unders ...more
Cathy
Feb 14, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Retirement Quest. Sounds like an epic fantasy where the journey ends up in a condo in Florida, right. Actually, that's not far off, it's a book about practical financial planning so that you can retire to that condo in Florida.

With his experience in financial planning, John Hauserman provides you with the tools you will need to plan a strategy for retirement. I found Retirement Quest to be very informative with topics such as goal setting, risk management, investing, the market cycle and choosin
Susan (The Book Bag)
Okay, I am going to be perfectly honest here. I have not thought much about a retirement plan. I know I should, I should have done something a long time ago. My husband got a really late start getting his higher education degrees and was in school a long, long time, we had 4 small children, money was extremely tight ~ you know, excuses, excuses. And now, I try not to think about it because I know we are not prepared ~ head in the sand kind of thinking.

This book got me thinking about what we need
Mormonhermitmom
FYI: I received this book in return for reviewing it. There was no other compensation.

Retirement Quest is aptly named. It seems like it takes a quest of epic heroic proportions to plan for retirement these days. While this book is NOT a primer for those who have never thought of or approached retirement planning, it does add a different perspective into investing.

The author is a certified financial planner with some years of experience. He outlines in this book what he feels are major mistakes t
Bonnie
Jan 31, 2012 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for stopping by on this blog tour, book review, and giveaway! When asked to join this blog tour, I found myself intrigued by the subject. Someday we all want to have the ability to retire—some sooner than others. I wanted to see if my plan was anywhere close to what it should be and hopefully learn something new along the way. It's been my experience whenever I've spoken with finacial people, I find my head spinning, wondering what language they're speaking. So I braced myself for that sa ...more
Lexie
I normally don't review nonfiction books so it was a new experience to study RetirementQuest. And I use the word "study" on purpose since this is a totally interactive book which requires careful analysis. I recommend you read it with a pen and paper handy and also near your computer so you can use the RetirementQuest planning website. I know I'm just supposed to be reviewing the book but I have to say that the website is fantastic! It is clever and creative and most importantly it is useful.

My
MaryAnn Dennis
Feb 09, 2012 MaryAnn Dennis rated it really liked it
This is not your average bedtime storybook, but it is well written with clear-cut information. It is definitely a teaching tool that I could've used 30 years ago.

This book is intended to help young people and those with resources, make educated decisions for their retirement needs. He even has a formula to help you determine what your needs will be.

From this book I learned the difference between stocks, bonds, different types of bonds, and the kind of broker or investment advisor to use to get t
Christy
Feb 15, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Retirement Quest by John Hauserman, CFP
I really enjoyed reading John Hauserman’s Retirement Quest. The information is pertinent, insightful and easy to understand.
Many of the reviews of this book will be by younger people who need to plan for retirement. My husband and I are already retired, and this book was a good reminder that we have done well in preparing for the retirement we are now experiencing. We have a pension and social security, plus our 401K so we have adequate money to live on.
It
Deborah
Feb 17, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
Retirement Quest is a well researched book that opens up the way for those who want to know what to do to be prepared for when they retire. It is well document and will help guide with financial advice and investment decisions and how to go about knowing what is going to be solid or iffy as to determining the decisions with retirement. He shows how to understand all the difficult to maneuver options that sometimes seem overwhelming and hard to decipher. With his easy to follow style, John takes ...more
Lynn
Feb 21, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it
Oh, the excitement of that first job. I worked in a Mexican restaurant. I was thrilled to enter through the "Employees Only" door. My mother made a copy of my first paycheck and framed it. What I didn't realize was that I also needed to begin planning for my retirement.

People who wait until middle age or later to plan for the future may not be able to retire. They face the unappealing prospect of dying at their desks rather than doing what they wish in that beach house. Why do we put it off?

I b
Heather
Feb 10, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RetirementQuest:Make Better Decision John Hauserman, CFP (Certified Financial Planner) has written a well-organized book with clear explanations about making choices in financial planning for your retirement years. He clearly defines different kinds of insurance, the advantages and disadvantages of each; stock, bonds, and other investments; and why one kind of investing might be better for one type of person or couple than for another.

He also discusses not only best-case scenarios, but worst-cas
LuAnn
LuAnn marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2012
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2012
Free Book Giveaway: RetirementQuest Book Giveaway! Ends 3/2/12! 1 4 Mar 01, 2012 10:27AM