Start by marking “Anno's Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Anno's Alphabet

Anno's Alphabet

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Each letter of the alphabet accompanies a full-page picture puzzle of an object whose name begins with that letter: anvil, bicycle, etc.
Hardcover
Published 1988 by Trophy Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Anno's Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anno's Alphabet

Jess
Oct 11, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picture books - alphabet book
For preschool up

In this wordless alphabet book, each letter is shown as though carved out of wood; the facing illustrations and borders show objects beginning with that letter.

This is no beginner's alphabet book. Sure, it could be read on a basic level, identifying the letter. But a child can do that with any alphabet book - this one offers something more. Many of the letters are constructed like Escher drawings, showing impossible perspectives and curves. Many of th
Kathy Gunn
Mar 18, 2015 Kathy Gunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
(1975)

Definitely not a beginner's alphabet book. Each letter has a full-page spread and designed in an Escher-style where the wood pieces twist and turn into themselves. On the opposite page there is a full-page puzzle picture of an object that begins with that letter. Each double-page spread has a hand-drawn border, but you have to look closely because there are hidden pictures everywhere! Lucky for me, there is "cheat sheet" in the back of the book of some of the objects to be found.

Themes: A
Rick Bavera
Feb 17, 2014 Rick Bavera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Each letter of the alphabet is accompanied by full page object beginning with that letter, and borders of smaller objects.

The details of the borders make this a "puzzle book" as much as an alphabet learning tool. The book could be used in developing vocabulary (some of the hidden objects were of things new to ME), and could be used as a starting point for a creative project making a project using alphabet pictures of one's own choosing.

References say this is a book for K-2, but the puzzle aspec
Julie
Aug 12, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My most favorite of the picture books by this author. The pictures are so visually rich they can't be looked at once, inviting the "reader" to peruse over and over. I think this is such a great learning book, as the child and parent look again, more things get discovered, and the older child will delight in the I Spy experience. Gives the parent an opportunity to explain some older items as well. Wish I had this for my children when they were younger. Someday maybe a Grandma Present.
Janet
While this was an award winning title when it was published over 35 years ago, I am not certain today's child will embrace it. These are two page spreads of the letter rendered in wood with the corresponding picture on the right. Around each of the pages is a border done in pen and ink containing just a few items beginning with the same letter. With the lack of color in those borders will children pursue those illustrations? This probably needs to be an adult/child adventure.
Megan Miller
This is defenitely a concept book for older studnets . The picture are difficult to understand, some are obvious and others not so much. A is for anvil, O is for orange oil paint. The pictures do make you think. I did like the glossary in the back explaining all the pictures.
Ms Threlkeld
I liked the fact that the letters look like wood carvings and some kids might really be engaged in finding other pictures in the borders on each page, but a lot of the objects are old-fashioned and many of my students wouldn't have any idea what they were.
Mary Helene
Aug 04, 2014 Mary Helene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those hungry for a visual feast
Recommended to Mary Helene by: Peggy Greer
it's a totally amazing book. I love it. Here's the rub: the children I have read it to are not nearly as fascinated as I am. I think it is - unbelievably - too subtle for most children.
Dana
I like this book because the reader has to find the letter on each page. It's almost as if it is hidden but its not. The author used pictures to surround the letter. It is great book for children who are just starting to read.
Taylor Rhoades
I enjoy the idea of how educating children the alphabet is carved wood, and showing an image on the right page.
Fibersian
May 28, 2014 Fibersian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful wordless alphabet book. Pure letter recognition without the addition of phonics.
Donna
Apr 15, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever!
Adrienne
This alphabet book deserves to be read multiple times - each letter contains an optical illusion and each picture is detailed with all kinds of hidden things in it. Anno is a talented artist, and while some of his letter choices may confuse children (T is for typewriter, and who has those anymore?) most are easy to understand.
Nikki
Feb 13, 2011 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Basic concept book on the alphabet. Each spread is a letter on one side and a drawing of something that stars with that letter on the other side. But nothing about the artwork grabbed me one bit, and I don't think it would entertain a little person for the whole alphabet.
George Miles
Jan 01, 2014 George Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
An absolute classic. Better for older kids who can appreciate the intricacies and impossibilities of the drawings.
Kate Mowery
Whoa! G is for gun! Sweet!

This is on the Entering Kindergarten list. I can see a lot of these being hard for kids that young to figure out. Even I had to think about some of them for a second or two. It is pretty neat and different though.
Nancy
Jan 25, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, alphabet
A unique ABC book with each letter painted as though made of wood and appearing 3-dimensional. I also like the borders on each page that have hidden images illustrating each letter.
Jennifer Heise
Mar 07, 2016 Jennifer Heise rated it it was ok
A lot of detail in the borders, but too many of the puzzles depend on spotting plant names that aren't familiar to the modern child. Pretty, though.
Betsy
Jun 05, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
Invites contemplation--lots of hidden pictures beginning with each letter.
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Sarah Sammis
Sarah Sammis marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Jamielynn
Jamielynn rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Isabella
Isabella rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Nancy
Nancy added it
Apr 10, 2016
Aolund
Aolund rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2016
Denise Patterson-Monroe
Denise Patterson-Monroe rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
grace
grace rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
72077
Mitsumasa Anno (born March 20, 1926) is a Japanese illustrator and writer of children's books, known best for picture books with few or no words. He received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1984 for his "lasting contribution to children's literature".

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Mitsumasa Anno...