Start by marking “Anno's Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Anno's Alphabet

Anno's Alphabet

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Each letter of the alphabet accompanies a full-page picture puzzle of an object whose name begins with that letter: anvil, bicycle, etc.
Hardcover
Published 1988 by Trophy Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Anno's Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anno's Alphabet

Jess
Picture books - alphabet book
For preschool up

In this wordless alphabet book, each letter is shown as though carved out of wood; the facing illustrations and borders show objects beginning with that letter.

This is no beginner's alphabet book. Sure, it could be read on a basic level, identifying the letter. But a child can do that with any alphabet book - this one offers something more. Many of the letters are constructed like Escher drawings, showing impossible perspectives and curves. Many of th
Rick Bavera
Each letter of the alphabet is accompanied by full page object beginning with that letter, and borders of smaller objects.

The details of the borders make this a "puzzle book" as much as an alphabet learning tool. The book could be used in developing vocabulary (some of the hidden objects were of things new to ME), and could be used as a starting point for a creative project making a project using alphabet pictures of one's own choosing.

References say this is a book for K-2, but the puzzle aspec
Janet
While this was an award winning title when it was published over 35 years ago, I am not certain today's child will embrace it. These are two page spreads of the letter rendered in wood with the corresponding picture on the right. Around each of the pages is a border done in pen and ink containing just a few items beginning with the same letter. With the lack of color in those borders will children pursue those illustrations? This probably needs to be an adult/child adventure.
Ms Threlkeld
I liked the fact that the letters look like wood carvings and some kids might really be engaged in finding other pictures in the borders on each page, but a lot of the objects are old-fashioned and many of my students wouldn't have any idea what they were.
Mary Helene
Aug 04, 2014 Mary Helene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those hungry for a visual feast
Recommended to Mary Helene by: Peggy Greer
it's a totally amazing book. I love it. Here's the rub: the children I have read it to are not nearly as fascinated as I am. I think it is - unbelievably - too subtle for most children.
Fibersian
A beautiful wordless alphabet book. Pure letter recognition without the addition of phonics.
Adrienne
This alphabet book deserves to be read multiple times - each letter contains an optical illusion and each picture is detailed with all kinds of hidden things in it. Anno is a talented artist, and while some of his letter choices may confuse children (T is for typewriter, and who has those anymore?) most are easy to understand.
Nikki
Basic concept book on the alphabet. Each spread is a letter on one side and a drawing of something that stars with that letter on the other side. But nothing about the artwork grabbed me one bit, and I don't think it would entertain a little person for the whole alphabet.
George Miles
An absolute classic. Better for older kids who can appreciate the intricacies and impossibilities of the drawings.
Kate Mowery
Whoa! G is for gun! Sweet!

This is on the Entering Kindergarten list. I can see a lot of these being hard for kids that young to figure out. Even I had to think about some of them for a second or two. It is pretty neat and different though.
Nancy
A unique ABC book with each letter painted as though made of wood and appearing 3-dimensional. I also like the borders on each page that have hidden images illustrating each letter.
Betsy
Invites contemplation--lots of hidden pictures beginning with each letter.
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Kaycie
Kaycie added it
Jan 08, 2015
Jacob
Jacob added it
Jan 25, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Sammy
Sammy added it
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
72077
Mitsumasa Anno (born March 20, 1926) is a Japanese illustrator and writer of children's books, known best for picture books with few or no words. He received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1984 for his "lasting contribution to children's literature".

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Mitsumasa Anno...
Anno's Journey Anno's Counting Book Anno's Magic Seeds Anno's U.S.A. Anno's Math Games