Start by marking “Faces in the Water (The Shades of Venice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Faces in the Water (The Shades of Venice, #1)

Faces in the Water (The Shades of Venice, #1)

Who created that slide of silk across your skin as you reached for your cinematic lover? Who recorded the crushing weight of the grizzly as you fought for your life in the fictional wilderness? It is Lone Pine Pictures’ Alyse Kate Bryant who wraps your body in the story only your mind was privy to before.

A brilliant sensory immersion artist and a wild daredevil, Alyse will
Published 2011 by Crystal Mosaic Books

To ask other readers questions about Faces in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faces in the Water

Connie Jasperson
Mar 20, 2015 Connie Jasperson rated it it was amazing
Today we are visiting one of the more creative post-apocalyptic novels I've ever read, Faces in the Water (Shades of Venice Book 1), by indie author, Tonya Macalino.

But First, THE BLURB:

A brill
Lucinda
Apr 03, 2014 Lucinda rated it really liked it
A hauntingly beautiful story that lingers on your mind…

From the author of ‘Spectre of Intention’ comes a deliciously dark, exquisite novel of multilayered sub-plots that enchants and captivates. Tonya Macalino’s writing style is wonderfully compelling, as she seamlessly interweaves delicious details within an atmospheric backdrop for a ‘realistic’ feel.
Having already read book 2 in the shades of Venice series (stealing Lucifer’s dreams) it was nice to start the story from the very beginning, wi
Dani
Jan 16, 2016 Dani rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
*Originally posted on A Bibliophile's Reverie*

Set in the future, this story’s world is very well developed and fascinating. Macalino did a great job establishing her world and let the reader get the information they needed to understand what’s going on. There were only a few areas where I was sort of confused, especially as to what exactly the main character was. It took a little bit to wrap my head around, but in the end I was able to understand the world.

The main character Alyse was pretty in
Gina -   Behind the Pages
Be at Behind A Million And One Pages on 29 May for a exclusive review of Faces in the Water! Join the blog tour!

I was somewhat shocked when I started this novel. I didn't think I'd get a kind of post-apocalyptic feel to it from Sleepers' Syndrome. OK, well if I wanted to, really it could've been deciphered from the blurb, but still it came as a shock. To be honest, I didn't really understand the disease much at first, but as I got through the novel, I understood it all and how devestating it wou
Mindy
May 16, 2012 Mindy rated it really liked it
A sort of post-apocalyptic book set in a world where a devastating disease, sleeping sickness, traps children in ageless sleep. The disease is carried by adults who were trying to find a cure for another disease and inadvertently created this disease by messing with the DNA of the long dead. Into this setting we place a girl who has been modified to have machines that enhance her abilities and turn her into a sensory gathering being. These sensory experiences are then translated via film to the ...more
Adam Copeland
Nov 07, 2015 Adam Copeland rated it really liked it
In the near future, reality TV has taken the next step with immersion entertainment brought to you by studios employing nano-teched-out “immersion artists” who can record every sensory experience possible. Everything from the simple taste of coffee to swimming with sharks to tastes which run even more exotic...or erotic.

In this world comes Alyse Bryant, a world famous immersion artist who has recently lost her father to a tragic accident, which leaves her reckless in her mourning. She agrees to
Lee French
Mar 05, 2015 Lee French rated it really liked it
This is a ponderous, cerebral book that strays outside my typical fare primarily in its style. It delves into the main character's psyche while exploring a cyberpunk premise with a twist. While there is action in it, the conflict mostly takes place inside Alyse's head. It has a sprinkling of political intrigue, as well, and plenty of relationship dynamics.

Although the writing itself isn't to my taste, I liked the characters and the premise, and the story follows an interesting path. With the foc
Vanessa
Faces in the Water was a well-written and thrilling read. Tonya Macalino had painted a whimsical yet suspenseful world of post-apocalyptic Venice full of intensity and gripping moments. Her ability to blend elements of Venice legends with a bit of sci-fi was unquestionable. I even enjoyed reading the history of Venice inserted in some chapters as I love history and reading about myth and legends. With Faces in the Water, Tonya had started a spellbinding opener to the The Shades of Venice series ...more
Walt
Nov 05, 2013 Walt rated it it was amazing
A satisfying mashup of augmented humans, DNA manipulations and good old human emotions.

The heroine is records her own sensory impressions for high tech voyeurs. But she's got some PTSD from an shark encounter gone bad, so she's sent to a Venice that's both drowning and serves as a residence for carriers of an untreatable but non-communicable genetic disease.

(Spoiler Alert)
So naturally, the non-communicable is communicable. And hints of a conspiracy abound.

What the author has done is to immerse h
K.z. Miller
Mar 14, 2015 K.z. Miller rated it really liked it
Lots of great sensory detail that immerses you in the story! Lots of mystery too, and ambiguity, and always, always, magic that dwells right below the surface that might or might be .... Well, anything I can say about that would amount to a spoiler. Part of a series. I plan to read on, so I can find out what the heck is going on!
Anna Brentwood
Feb 24, 2013 Anna Brentwood rated it really liked it
Not usually the genre I read but very interesting and unique author voice. Characters are strong and author uses sensory images to paint a story that reads very much like a dream.
Jennivie
I have a ton of questions. This will be a hard review. I liked it overall though even those I feel like my brain is melting.
Traci Taylor
Traci Taylor rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Jodi
Jodi rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Shevaun
Shevaun rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Deana
Deana rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Laronda
Laronda rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Poppy Fields
Poppy Fields marked it as to-read
May 20, 2012
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Aleta
Aleta marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
Kirstin Pulioff
Kirstin Pulioff marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Tonya Macalino
Nov 27, 2013 Tonya Macalino added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dana Martinez
Dana Martinez marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
SARIT
SARIT marked it as to-read
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Michelle Willms
Michelle Willms marked it as to-read
SD
SD marked it as to-read
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Darlene Cruz
Darlene Cruz marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Robyn Donnelly
Robyn Donnelly marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Shilo
Shilo added it
Jan 18, 2015
Truble D.
Truble D. marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Mirela
Mirela marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Aurelija Sa
Aurelija Sa marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Erin Sharp
Erin Sharp marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Pacificfire
Pacificfire marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Bobbi Ballou
Bobbi Ballou marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Jesper Bäcklin
Jesper Bäcklin marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Tonya Macalino
is a writer of futuristic paranormal thrillers. An avid collector of folk history and folklore, she weaves the colorful tales of times past into a rich tapestry giving depth to the fast action of her stories. To read more from Tonya’s collection of folklore/history, visit her blog at www.tonyamacalino.com. For news and information drop by and say hello on Facebook at www.facebook.com
More about Tonya Macalino...