Start by marking “Sportuality: Finding Joy in the Games” as Want to Read:
Sportuality: Finding Joy in the Games

Sportuality: Finding Joy in the Games

4.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  11 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Sportuality is an examination of sports at all levels from a Western perspective, focusing on how it reflects our cultural belief in separation and dualistic thinking, as well as how sports can grow peace, understanding, and joy. Sportuality crosses disciplines of sports and spirituality to help readers-athletes, coaches, parents, and fans-evolve a higher consciousness wit ...more
Published January 13th 2012 by Balboa Press (first published January 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sportuality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sportuality

Zinta
Jan 14, 2013 Zinta rated it it was amazing

I listened to the news sportscaster and thought of Jeanne Hess. I wondered, what would she think of this fierce language? "Our team will annihilate them," the newscaster swore, lifting a fist of victory in the air, referring to the local football team doing battle with the opposing team. The news anchor tossed her comments into the swirl, using phrases like: beat them into the ground … grind them to dust … smash them to smithereens … flatten and destroy.

One might think this was the language of w
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: Not really.

Mrs. Hess seeks to add a spiritual context to sports and competition. She does this by redefining words and attitudes typically associated with athletic matches into more cooperative, compassionate terms.

This book is well-organized, well-written, and thoroughly researched. On each page she includes copious quotes and examples from every imaginable source from Lao Tsu to Jimmy Buffett.

For me, it just didn’t work. Imagine a cross between Oprah Winfrey and Ben Roet
Emory Daniels
Mar 08, 2012 Emory Daniels rated it it was amazing
A New Look at Athletes and Athletics

A coach who has enjoyed a great deal of success in Western Michigan now has written a fascinating book, entitled “Sportuality: Finding Joy in the Games."

The author, Jeanne Hess, says that words control ideas and ideas impact behaviors and behaviors can change society. And so the author has researched sports words to discover the original meaning and by redefining words she hopes to change ideas and thereby influence behavior shifts.

Hess, a successful woman’s
Karielle
Aug 04, 2012 Karielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
Sportuality by Jeanne Hess
Release Date: January 13th, 2012
Publisher: Balboa (Hay House)
Page Count: 216
Source: Complimentary copy provided by publicist, Westwind Communications, in exchange for an honest an unbiased review

Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Mar 15, 2012 Emily (Heinlen) Davis rated it really liked it
I like the play on words with sports and spirituality. I think the author really hit the nail on the head with this one. I know many people who, without consciously knowing it, use sports as a supplement to or substitution for religion. The author spends just the right amount of time at the beginning of the book setting up her reasoning and providing the reader with the background necessary to understand her argument. Then, she presents information to further her argument coupled with interestin ...more
Nisse
Jan 15, 2013 Nisse rated it it was amazing
A must read for those who believe that positive change & influence can come from sport.
Scott Lorenz
Scott Lorenz rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2015
Diogo Botto
Diogo Botto marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Betsy
Betsy is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2013
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
Jeanne Hess
Mar 20, 2013 Jeanne Hess rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2012
Rob Skirving
Rob Skirving rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2012
Tristen
Tristen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2012
Gayle
Gayle rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012