Start by marking “The Lavender Lover's Handbook: The 100 Most Beautiful and Fragrant Varieties for Growing, Crafting, and Cooking” as Want to Read:

With its intoxicating scent, gorgeous wands of purple flowers, and silvery foliage, lavender is one of the most sought-after plants. But the horticultural reasons for choosing lavender go far beyond its beauty. Lavender attracts beneficial insects, requires little water once established, and is deer resistant.

In The Lavender Lover's Handbook, lavender grower Sarah Bader te
Published May 1st 2012 by Timber Press

To ask other readers questions about The Lavender Lover's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lavender Lover's Handbook

Sara Thompson
Apr 13, 2012 Sara Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I always thought lavender was lavender. I didn’t realize there were hundreds of varieties. I suppose I should have known this since there is no such thing as a singular plant type but it rather surprised me to know that there was so much variety in lavender.
Sarah’s book not only breaks down all the varieties of lavender but helps the reader determine which variety is best for their environment and usage. She starts of discussing soil and planting choices. The book then breaks down the different
PEI Public Library Service
Jan 04, 2013 PEI Public Library Service rated it it was amazing
Gardeners love this time of year for planning the next season's projects. January offers time to peruse the seed catalogues and check the library shelves for new titles missed during the last gardening season. For the beginning grower or anyone looking to expand their lavender selection, the Lavender Lover's Handbook answers all the questions and provides great photographs - you can almost reach out and touch the lavender! Sarah Berringer Bader has farmed lavender in Washington state for over 10 ...more
Brenda Mengeling
Mar 13, 2013 Brenda Mengeling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, 49, gardening
Excellent book on growing lavender. Very good photos of many different species and cultivars with enough information on each to determine which would be best for one's particular needs. Also excellent information on how best to grow and care for the plants. I did not do more than skim the chapters on how to use lavender as an herb, but if I wanted that information, it appeared as informative as the gardening info. Highly recommended for those who wish to add lavender to a garden.
Phyllis
May 02, 2013 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
I absolutely loved The Lavender Lover's Handbook. The photographs are beautiful. It has information on how to grow Lavender, flower and foliage color, bloom frequency and hardiness on 100 varieties. The book includes the author's top picks. She really knows her Lavenders. Also included is a section on cooking with Lavender and crafting. This will definitely be my "go to" book for Lavender. If you love Lavender I highly recommend this book.
Martin
Nov 04, 2015 Martin rated it really liked it
Very well organized book. Hundred varietes with detailed photos (I didn't found a list like this elsewhere yet). Unfortunately, no varietes I am planning to plant in my zone, but anyway - a good list :-)

Author is not only describing parameters for planting lavenders, but also explaining that parameters and steps. I am missing detailed info about the essential oil, but I undestand that the book is primarily for small gardeners.
Susan Harrington
Apr 16, 2013 Susan Harrington rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The home gardener or the serious commercial grower
Recommended to Susan by: a friend
Shelves: lavender-growing
As a lavender grower for more than 10 years, you would think I have all the answers. Not true. This book reminds me of why an investment in additional education gives a return beyond the money. Sarah's book reflects her love of lavender and her generosity in sharing her wealth of knowledge. The bonus in this book is the top 100 varieties. Lists like this make it so much easier to choose the lavender that will work best for your goals for the flowers, whether for crafting or culinary delights.
Carmen
Jul 30, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-gardening
Although I bought this two years ago, I didn't read it until after my trip to the lavender festival in Palisade. The book had a nice mixture of how to grow lavender, identifying different varieties, cooking tips, craft tips and a list of current festivals. I enjoyed reading the part about which lavender grew in which part of the US as Colorado can be a difficult place to garden.
Caro
Apr 17, 2014 Caro rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Beautifully illustrated and well-organized. Yes, 'Grosso' is the best for my climate, and no, now that I've neglected it I can't reshape it and should just start over. Oh, well.
Kat
Aug 13, 2013 Kat rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful books I've ever owned. Just looking at the cover relaxes me. The insides are good too, of course.
Trish
Apr 07, 2013 Trish rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book. There are a lot of pictures in here. I liked that it has lavender recipes and creations.
Seianna
May 03, 2016 Seianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mom
Lots of good uses for lavender,and good tips on pruning lavender. Made me feel like I was smelling lavender while I was reading it!
Mary Lynn
Jul 12, 2012 Mary Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
Fabulous introduction to using lavender in the garden.
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Cary
Cary rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Sheri Arroyo
Sheri Arroyo rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Georgia
Georgia rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
Ifurita
Ifurita rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Doug Schmidt
Doug Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Eleadari Acheson
Eleadari Acheson rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Arthur Savchenko
Arthur Savchenko rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Theresa J Beaudry
Theresa J Beaudry rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Dan Blumeyer
Dan Blumeyer rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Monique
Monique rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Daphne
Daphne rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Sabra Ann
Sabra Ann rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016