The Lavender Lover's Handbook: The 100 Most Beautiful and Fragrant Varieties for Growing, Crafting, and Cooking

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  11 reviews
With its intoxicating scent, gorgeous wands of purple flowers, and silvery foliage, lavender is one of the most sought-after plants. But the horticultural reasons for choosing lavender go far beyond its beauty. Lavender attracts beneficial insects, requires little water once established, and is deer resistant.

In The Lavender Lover's Handbook, lavender grower Sarah Bader te...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Timber Press

Sara Thompson
I always thought lavender was lavender. I didn’t realize there were hundreds of varieties. I suppose I should have known this since there is no such thing as a singular plant type but it rather surprised me to know that there was so much variety in lavender.
Sarah’s book not only breaks down all the varieties of lavender but helps the reader determine which variety is best for their environment and usage. She starts of discussing soil and planting choices. The book then breaks down the different...more
PEI Public Library Service
Gardeners love this time of year for planning the next season's projects. January offers time to peruse the seed catalogues and check the library shelves for new titles missed during the last gardening season. For the beginning grower or anyone looking to expand their lavender selection, the Lavender Lover's Handbook answers all the questions and provides great photographs - you can almost reach out and touch the lavender! Sarah Berringer Bader has farmed lavender in Washington state for over 10...more
Caro
Beautifully illustrated and well-organized. Yes, 'Grosso' is the best for my climate, and no, now that I've neglected it I can't reshape it and should just start over. Oh, well.
Susan Harrington
Apr 16, 2013 Susan Harrington rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: The home gardener or the serious commercial grower
Recommended to Susan by: a friend
Shelves: lavender-growing
As a lavender grower for more than 10 years, you would think I have all the answers. Not true. This book reminds me of why an investment in additional education gives a return beyond the money. Sarah's book reflects her love of lavender and her generosity in sharing her wealth of knowledge. The bonus in this book is the top 100 varieties. Lists like this make it so much easier to choose the lavender that will work best for your goals for the flowers, whether for crafting or culinary delights.
Brenda Mengeling
Excellent book on growing lavender. Very good photos of many different species and cultivars with enough information on each to determine which would be best for one's particular needs. Also excellent information on how best to grow and care for the plants. I did not do more than skim the chapters on how to use lavender as an herb, but if I wanted that information, it appeared as informative as the gardening info. Highly recommended for those who wish to add lavender to a garden.
Phyllis
I absolutely loved The Lavender Lover's Handbook. The photographs are beautiful. It has information on how to grow Lavender, flower and foliage color, bloom frequency and hardiness on 100 varieties. The book includes the author's top picks. She really knows her Lavenders. Also included is a section on cooking with Lavender and crafting. This will definitely be my "go to" book for Lavender. If you love Lavender I highly recommend this book.
Kat
One of the most beautiful books I've ever owned. Just looking at the cover relaxes me. The insides are good too, of course.
Trish
This was an awesome book. There are a lot of pictures in here. I liked that it has lavender recipes and creations.
Karen
Gorgeous book. Will check out again in early spring before I choose new lavender plants.
Mary Lynn
Fabulous introduction to using lavender in the garden.
Mary
Spring can't come soon enough!
Kristin Ammerman
Kristin Ammerman marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Ladyemero
Ladyemero marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Mary Kelly
Mary Kelly is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2014
Deborah Hindman
Deborah Hindman marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Juan F. Roig
Juan F. Roig marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Eliza Martin-rodrigues
Eliza Martin-rodrigues marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013