Start by marking “Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans” as Want to Read:
Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans

Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans

Witty and eccentric Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans traces Hunter Davies' search for the strangest collections in the UK.

There are lots of books about museums -- the art gallery, the town or national museum we all know and love -- but the museum devoted to one specific subject tends to get overlooked, or gets listed in the local guidebook as an oddity. Hunte
Audiobook
Published by Random House Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans

Alexander
Aug 07, 2015 Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Granted, I don't want to visit all of the strange museums Mr Davies spent his time visiting, but as someone who shares his interest in odd and quirky places, I've added a good few to my bucket list. The very nature of the book means that not every entry is of interest, but as a collection of curios, this worked for me.
Stuart Hill
I thought that this was a great idea for a book, but the execution wasn't as succesful as it could have been. It started off with a tour of a fan museum which wasn't really particularly quirky making it an odd choice for the first chapter in the book. Some of the other chapters are great though; it's hard to imagine that anyone wouldn't enjoy spending time in the company of the likes of Captain Beany or light fingered radio enthusiasts.

On the whole it's a worthwhile read but could have done with
Johanne
Hunter Davies is always an easy, engaging read. In this he visits some well known and some rather less well known specialist museums. Almost as interesting as the museums are the people who set these things up - Captain Beany of the baked bean museum.....
John
Jul 09, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, audible
An impulse purchase that didn't really pay off I'm afraid. I ended up skipping a few entries entirely as even the subjects in which I was interested seemed drawn out. Narrator did his best to maintain enthusiasm, but the author's journalistic emphasis on interviewing the museum founders made things seem dull. Print version might be of limited interest (easier skimming/skipping).

Really 2.5 stars for my experience, buy others might enjoy the variety of subjects more than I did.
Sooz888
Mar 31, 2016 Sooz888 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Wonderful!
Andrewl
Nov 06, 2012 Andrewl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book - eighteen chapters each devoted to one museum, covering everything from Fans to Baked Beans to Bagpipes. Hunter Davies writes not only about the museums themselves but includes as much time to the people who created them. Hunter Davies has a lovely writing style - always engaging and often amusingly digressing into anecdotes only tangentially related to the museums. Highly recommended!
angela
Nov 30, 2014 angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a book about museums
Helen Magee
Apr 22, 2016 Helen Magee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given as a gift, but has made me want to visit some the museums mentioned
Jo
Nov 10, 2013 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Davies travels the UK in search of the craziest museums dedicated to just one subject such as baked beans, bagpipes or lawnmowers. Eccentric is probably the kindest thing to be said about some of the creators and curators.
TwoDrinks
Sep 08, 2012 TwoDrinks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love museums. From a practical point of view, it was a good blimmin' job I had read The Lawnmower Museum chapter (in Southport if you're interested) before I went as the actual museum has limited information.
Barry
Dec 25, 2011 Barry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
Whimsical ramble around some more or less oddball museums with more or less oddball creators. I enjoyed the look into "the mind of a collector" as well as the descriptions of said museums and creators.
Al Berg
Aug 10, 2013 Al Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really loving this book, which describes a bunch of small and quirky museums all over the UK. Lots of fun.
Jane Walker
Apr 08, 2012 Jane Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-non-fic
This could have been a pointless ramble but was both entertaining and informative.
Michael Tweed
Michael Tweed is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2016
Adam Jones
Adam Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Plum-crazy
Plum-crazy is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2016
Maggie Hesseling
Maggie Hesseling marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Hayley
Hayley added it
May 16, 2016
James Nicholls
James Nicholls rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
VeganMedusa
VeganMedusa rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Woolly
Woolly marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
David Roach
David Roach rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Johanna
Johanna rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Cassondra
Cassondra marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Shaun Vizor
Shaun Vizor rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2015
Thompson Edward Hunter Davies, formerly an editor for the Sunday Times of London, is the author of numerous books, including The Glory Game. He lives in London.
More about Hunter Davies...