Start by marking “Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans” as Want to Read:
Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans

Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Witty and eccentric Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans traces Hunter Davies' search for the strangest collections in the UK.

There are lots of books about museums -- the art gallery, the town or national museum we all know and love -- but the museum devoted to one specific subject tends to get overlooked, or gets listed in the local guidebook as an oddity. Hunte
Audiobook
Published by Random House Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans

Stuart Hill
I thought that this was a great idea for a book, but the execution wasn't as succesful as it could have been. It started off with a tour of a fan museum which wasn't really particularly quirky making it an odd choice for the first chapter in the book. Some of the other chapters are great though; it's hard to imagine that anyone wouldn't enjoy spending time in the company of the likes of Captain Beany or light fingered radio enthusiasts.

On the whole it's a worthwhile read but could have done with
John
An impulse purchase that didn't really pay off I'm afraid. I ended up skipping a few entries entirely as even the subjects in which I was interested seemed drawn out. Narrator did his best to maintain enthusiasm, but the author's journalistic emphasis on interviewing the museum founders made things seem dull. Print version might be of limited interest (easier skimming/skipping).

Really 2.5 stars for my experience, buy others might enjoy the variety of subjects more than I did.
Andrewl
This is a great book - eighteen chapters each devoted to one museum, covering everything from Fans to Baked Beans to Bagpipes. Hunter Davies writes not only about the museums themselves but includes as much time to the people who created them. Hunter Davies has a lovely writing style - always engaging and often amusingly digressing into anecdotes only tangentially related to the museums. Highly recommended!
angela
a book about museums
Jo
Davies travels the UK in search of the craziest museums dedicated to just one subject such as baked beans, bagpipes or lawnmowers. Eccentric is probably the kindest thing to be said about some of the creators and curators.
TwoDrinks
I love museums. From a practical point of view, it was a good blimmin' job I had read The Lawnmower Museum chapter (in Southport if you're interested) before I went as the actual museum has limited information.
Barry
Whimsical ramble around some more or less oddball museums with more or less oddball creators. I enjoyed the look into "the mind of a collector" as well as the descriptions of said museums and creators.
Al Berg
I am really loving this book, which describes a bunch of small and quirky museums all over the UK. Lots of fun.
Jane Walker
This could have been a pointless ramble but was both entertaining and informative.
Cassondra
Cassondra marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Jamie Rosen
Jamie Rosen marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Phil
Phil added it
Sep 05, 2014
Karen Smith
Karen Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Rae Gee
Rae Gee marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Phil
Phil added it
Apr 12, 2015
John Barnes Odonkor
John Barnes Odonkor marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2012
Thompson Edward Hunter Davies, formerly an editor for the Sunday Times of London, is the author of numerous books, including The Glory Game. He lives in London.
More about Hunter Davies...
The Beatles The Glory Game The Beatles Lyrics: The Stories Behind the Music, Including the Handwritten Drafts of More Than 100 Classic Beatles Songs Wainwright: The Biography Flossie Teacake's Fur Coat