Start by marking “Dangerous Duty of Delight: The Glorified God and the Satisfied Soul (LifeChange Books)” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  53 reviews
This compact 96-page book, drawn from Piper's popular Desiring God, emphasizes the importance of strengthening our relationship with our Creator by enjoying Him and His creation. The author's now classic ideas are presented here in an accessible size that will allow readers to absorb and apply them quickly -- leading them to a dramatically different and joyful experience o ...more
Published 2001 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Duty of Delight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Duty of Delight

Danny
Dec 25, 2009 Danny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Really enjoyed this fresh look at desiring God. These are some of my favorite quotes:
“If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.” by CS Lewis
“The great hindrance to worship is not that we are pleasure-seeking people, but that we are willing to settle for such pitiful pleasures.”
“God is not glorified when we keep for ourselves (no matter how thankfully) what we ought to be using to alleviate the m
Randy Alcorn
For years I’ve pointed people to John Piper’s classic Desiring God, which is high on my list of all time favorite books. A year ago I told a friend that I’d love to see a “mini-Desiring God,” a short but sweet version of John’s message on joy and desire, which has touched so many lives, including mine. The Dangerous Duty of Delight is more than I asked for. Dynamic, joyful and lifechanging, this message is biblical, Christ-centered and desperately needed in the church today. I read the book last ...more
Heath Clark
Amazing little book packed with wisdom and insight regarding the Biblical reality and freedom of Christian Hedonism.
Josh
A very readable summary of Christian hedonism for folks who aren't ready to tackle Desiring God.
Michael
Short little book that shows how God is glorified when we delight in Him.
Michael Locklear
Towards the end of the book, Piper gives an overview of his book (page 47):
So far we have seen a brief sketch of the way of life I call Christian Hedonism [pleasure-seeker]. I have tried to give a glimpse of what it means vertically in relation to God and horizontally in relation to man – that it is essential for all true worship and virtue. It glorifies God, it undermines pride, it captures the affections of the heart, and it carries the cost of love. I have tried to show that it is thoroughl
Karen Locklear
Modern Christianity is difficult. I've decided this is because we expect both people and things to fulfill us. Well, neither will. But yet so many of us still are chasing after happiness down a dead end street.

John Piper takes the attitude (which is scripturally accurate) that we are commanded to be happy. And most of us aren't because we haven't figured out that the only way to happiness is through God.

This is a good book in that it spells out how living for God improves the quality of life.
Mark Helfrich
I've read this book more than once. It was an awesome read. It whetted my appetite to read Desiring God, Revised Edition: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper again. Comparing the extremely condensed book (this one) with the complete theology of Christian Hedonism of Desiring God, I believe that this one is lacking in the theology department (broad but not deep), while causing one to want to dig into more about Christian Hedonism. Read this then read Desiring God.
Josue Manriquez
I first read this sometime around 2004, but I didn't really understand it. I was also skeptical when reading it for two reasons:

1. I didn't know who John Piper was.
2. This book was recommended by Rob Bell

For the past couple of years I have gotten to know John Piper (not personally), so I finally decided to read this book again.

I still have much to ponder about it, but ultimately I think it is great! More and more Christians need to understand what it means to find their complete joy and satisfac
Austin Wright
Prosperity Gospel Garbage...God wants you to be selfish!!!
B
This book is for the Christian who questions the pursuit of joy. Is it worthy? Is it Biblical? Do we not become merely Christian hedonists? Piper backs up his position with quotes from C.s. Lewis, Jonathan Edwards, and, of course Jesus. This is fairly light reading on a theological topic. Don't look for him to tell us to do the right thing, the joy will follow. He feels that the delight, and reveling in it, cannot be separated from Pursuing a relationship with Christ.
Jake Jordan
Outstanding look at how our joy is complete in finding joy in God's law. By seeking the thrill, joy, high of serving others (that good feeling you get when doing God's will toward others) you are actually seeking to increase God's glory.

This is a nice precursor to Don't waste your life by Mr Piper, which if not properly prepared can be a little offputting. Read this one first, then consider reading Don't Waste Your Life.
Hank Pharis
This is an excellent summary of Piper's basic, revolutionary message:
God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
Highly recommended.

Read it again for 3rd or 4th time for our small group.
For those who struggle with the supposed difficulty of Desiring God
this makes things easier and shorter (Desiring God is one of the 2-3
best books I've ever read.)
Josh Smetzer
Piper is clear on his points and this is an easy book to read. We all like to pursue happiness, but often find happiness in shallow things. Our ultimate happiness comes from God.

Piper summarizes his thoughts on Christian Hedonism. I enjoyed his thoughts on how it pertains to worship. I would've liked more detail, but I'll have to read Desiring God to get it.
Everett Ender
This book is just a very condensed version of Piper's "Desiring God". I would urge any reader to get ahold of Desiring God. However this book really changed my perspective on the glory of God and gave me an introduction to the idea of "Christian Hedonism" when I read it at age 13. It's an easy read. Small, and great to give someone as a gift.
clAViD
Nov 15, 2007 clAViD rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who don't do anything while sitting on the toilet
This was my bathroom reader and I read almost all of it while sitting on the throne. It's super short, it's like one of those free books that you get - it's like a condensed version of Piper's "Desiring God." I wouldn't go out of my way to read this, but if you're sitting on the john, you might as well redeem the time and multi-task and read.
Bill
I want to read Desiring God again, but it's a pretty long book! So in the meantime, this little book was a great reminder of John Piper's main (only?) message -- we can and must find our joy in God's glory. It was a small investment of time but it's actually had quite an impact on me in the ensuing week or so since finishing it.
Amy
John Piper is a heavy read. I enjoy theological discussions but they sometimes make my brain hurt and are sometimes hard to follow. This was one of those, even though it was a small book and seemed harmless enough from the outside. I think this one was good?? I think I enjoy listening to John preach vs reading his writing.
Jerry
This book was excellent! I have not yet read 'Desiring God'by Piper, and this book, as it is supposedly a distillation of that volume, has absolutely wet my appetite for more. The book was brief, but it was exactly what I was hoping for as God grows me in the areas of joy, satisfaction, and fulfillment in Christ. Recommended!
Melissa
It's a small book and touches on the subjects Piper touches on in all his books, but is a nice reminder of those ideas. If you want an introduction to the theme he often has in other books to get an idea if you'll like his stuff, this is a good short one for that. I have a couple of dog-eared pages for pondering.
Christina
This short book of John Piper is packed full of the paradoxical truths of the Bible which define the life of a true Christian. After being immersed in the world of reformed theology for a few years now this book was a refreshing reminder that God is the all-satisfying treasure of man. Philippians 3:7-10.
Jeff
Small Book...Big Impact....This one book is so God-saturated and filled with what it looks like to fully delight yourself in God...however as the title suggest it's not safe....This book will challenge you to fully embrace God, and the supreme joy found in God, but also how it will not be easy!
Christine
Somehow this is the most convicting and encouraging book I've read this year. It's a very short little book that I've read probably five time now, it's main point seems to be ~ Joy is not optional in the Christian's life and God is meant to be enjoyed.
yche
I've tried to read this countless times but I wasn't really motivated to read it until now. It was a really great read. Got tons of written notes while reading it. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Jacob
Overall pretty good and a very quick read. It has a very simple yet deep message, and I think ties in with many of Piper's other works. Makes me want to read more of his stuff, and I might reread this to let some of this arguments soak in some more.
Tara
Want to know what glorifying God means? Do you feel guilty about seeking your own happiness? This book will spell out Christian Hedonism--yes, there is such a thing! We are not meant to go around being downcast Christians!
Rebeca
Um livro pequeno, um grande impacto.
Bem escrito, conciso, leitura rápida.
Não é preciso um grande esforço para ler este livro. É preciso um grande esforço, sim, para pôr em prática os ensinamentos que contém.
Emily
Bite-sized Piper. Just right for me. He's such a dense writer that this abbreviated version of the classic "Desiring God" was just what I wanted. It was good enough that I may have to read the full book soon.
Cary Sawatsky
One of those books that I wish I had written myself. This short, little book should be read by everyone who calls himself a Christian. "Christian hedonism" -- gotta love it.
Shannon Slutts
If this doesn't give you a new perspective of God and his delight in you then I don't know what will. John Piper will go down in history as one of the theological greats.
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross...Every Day
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and the Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • Growing in Christ
  • Discipline: The Glad Surrender
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another.
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • Rescuing Ambition
  • The Mystery of the Holy Spirit
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...
Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist Don't Waste Your Life The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God The Passion of Jesus Christ Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions