Hearts of Fire (Deadglass, #0.5)

Hearts of Fire (Deadglass 0.5)

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In the prequel to a stunning new paranormal series, one woman's desire for a forbidden man will spark a centuries-long supernatural conflict--and a love nothing can destroy.

She's the heiress to Seattle's most powerful shifter clan. Her destiny is as controlled and certain as moonrise. However, from the moment Alice Corbette encounters the man known as Brand, she will defy

Published June 26th 2012 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Hearts of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearts of Fire

Jill

Alice Corbette is Kivati a race of supernatural, native shapeshifters. Brand Haldor is Drekar, a dragon and the Kivati's greatest enemy. After a battle between the Kivati and Drekar leaves Alice's father dead, the lovers leave Seattle to settle in the north.

This is a prequel to the first book Hearts of Darkness in the Deadglass series. Set in Seattle, 1889 it prefaces the rivalry between two ancient supernatural races, the Kivati and the Drekar. The world, the mythology is interesting a...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A refreshing dose of mythology with a strong heroine.

Opening Sentence: She didn’t want to like him.

The Review:

Hearts of Fire is a prequel short story in the Deadglass series set many years before the novel Hearts of Darkness. Set in Seattle during the late 1800’s, Alice is a young woman of supernatural descent. Her chance at love is limited to only those of her kind but when she sets her heart on Brand she knows he is the one for her. Alice...more
Brie C.
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

I have a love/hate relationship with prequel novellas. Some are fantastic because they feel like they’re all about their story, truly belong to the series and aren’t there to sell you something else. But then there are those whose only purpose is to sell you the next book. Unfortunately, Hearts of Fire falls under the latter category.

The story takes place in 1889. Alice, our heroine, is the daughter of the Kivati’s leader – a shifters clan residing i...more
Katie
So this is a novella prequel to a new series. I actually preordered this novella because the first book in the series looked interesting and then forgot about it, so it was one of those surprises that showed up on my Kindle!

Anyway, I didn't like this much, but novellas can be so hit and miss. It was instalove and, not just that, but I didn't get to know either of these characters well in their own right. I also didn't get a good enough idea of the world.

So I finished it unsure if I would check o...more
SheLove2Read
I liked the setting and the worldbuilding but I wasn't crazy about the way it was written. It was wordy and somewhat florid. Perhaps the author was going for a period feel, I don't know. I'm intrigued enough to give the next book a shot. B-/C+
Claire
Setting up an alt-history version of Seattle. Viking dragon shifters are moving into the native Kivati shifters land, but we don't get a lot of detail about either race. This novella is filled with the two leads trying to catch the(violet-ringed, natch) eye of the other, with a brief lead up to an off-screen epic battle in which the heroine's father dies, allowing her crazy brother to take over. Hero and heroine flee into the sunset, rather than stay and try and patch up a frontier-era Seattle.
Laura the Highland Hussy
review posted on Got Fiction? blog

Well, this novella has me hooked.

This book begins in 1889 Seattle, but it’s a Seattle of shifters. Native shifters called the Kivati are fierce, but few. They have been living amongst humans, and for the most part, happily intermingling.

The chief is very welcoming to the new peoples, recognizing that if they are to survive, they can’t hide, they’ll have to learn to adapt. However, not all of his people feel the same. This is brought to the forefront as the Dreka...more
Melindeeloo
Hearts of Fire is set in the Seattle when it was first being settled and has a romance between, Alice, a Kivati woman - her shifter race is double-souled, gaining an animal totem soul in puberty - and, Brand, a dragon shifting Drekar from Scandinavia - his is a race of soul eaters. The Drekar's are looking for a new start in a land that offers lots of open space for their beasts to fly free and the Kivati are native to the land and have in the past wiped out all of the indigenous Drekar and cons...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In a few months, Kensington Books is launching The Deadglass Trilogy, a brand new “apocalyptic paranormal romance [series] set in a grisly and gothic modern day Seattle” beginning with HEARTS OF DARKNESS on August 7th. On June 26th, the prequel novella, HEARTS OF FIRE hits shelves with a story set more than a century earlier and providing the history for the feud between the Kivati (bird shifters) and Drekar (dragon shifters) races. In Romeo and Juliet...more
Christine
Hearts of Fire is a prequel novella to the upcoming paranormal Deadglass trilogy by debut author Kira Brady. In this Romeo and Juliet inspired story, readers are introduced to a unique world of shifters living in an alternate, gritty city of Seattle, unbeknownst to humans. The year is 1889 and the Kivati clan has long established Seattle territory as their own, protecting humans from the threat of the nearby cracked Gate to the Land of the Dead. Now the dangerous soulless dragon-shifting Drekar...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)

Boy, do I love me some dragon shifters.

It's 1889. Brand has left his home in Sweden with others of his kind to start his life over again in the growing town of Seatttle. He knows that some of his companions have nefarious intentions, but he needs to get away from the woman who broke his heart... the woman who rejected him when she learned he could turn into a dragon.

The moment Alice lays eyes on Brand, she knows their destinies are entertwined. She is an Owl shifter, daughter to Seattle's leader...more
Jenn
While I quite enjoyed HEARTS OF DARKNESS, the first novel in Kira Brady’s Deadglass trilogy, I was underwhelmed by HEARTS OF FIRE, the e-prequel that was released last month. Set in the late 1800s at a pivotal point in Seattle’s history, HEARTS OF FIRE documents the building of the city, a forbidden love, and the beginning of the outright hostilities between the Kivati and the Drekar, two shapechanging clans. The Kivati transform into all sorts of creatures, including those of legend like Thunde...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
I had the pleasure of reading Hearts of Darkness as an ARC from the publisher a month before Hearts of Fire was available for sale. I can honestly say that Hearts of Darkness is a fine place to start with this series. Looking back now I wish I had read this prequel first though.

Readers are introduced to a Seattle in the year 1889. The Kavati (animal shifters) are still living a peaceful existence among the humans. Seattle is growing rapidly with industry and new comers who are seeking a claim o...more

Hearts of Fire is a prequel novella for Kira Brady's new Deadglass series, the first full length book Hearts of Darkness will be published in August. As a prequel this story definitely did the job of creating excitement for the series, I'm intrigued by the world building and definitely want to learn more about both the Kivati and the Drekar.

The Kivati are a race of shapeshifters who have made their home in Seattle and worked hard to build a life where they can live in secret amongst the...more
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)

3.5 Feathers
Review also posted at Under the Covers Book Blog

This is my first read of Kira Brady’s work and I have to say that she has captured my interest in this world of Dragons and other Shifters.

Set in the late 1800s in Seattle, a world of Shifters/Other beings living among humans but not necessarily in peace. A Bomb waiting to explode, the tension between the Drekar Dragons and Kivati (other) Shifters has worsen.

Brand Haldor, a Drekar dragon has recently migrated from Scandinavia hoping for...more
Iris (Paranormal Cravings)
Sounds great! Can' t wait for Hearts of Darkness.

My Thoughts
This is a prequel to the first bookHearts of Darknessin theDeadglassseries. BecauseHearts of Darkness is only 55 pages thelimited word count allows little time for romance, story line or world building, but just enough to interest you that you want to read the first book of the Deadglass series, Hearts of Darkness . The first book Hearts of Darkness will be released August 7th 2012.

Debbie (at) I Heart YA Books
Hearts of Fire is Kara Brady's beautifully written prequel that introduces readers to Brady's new Deadglass series, a supernatural world of shape-shifter. Hearts of Fire gives the history of how this war of hate all begun between the Kivati and Drekar race in Settle in the year 1889. Also, how the forbidden love of a Kivati woman for a Drekar man fuels the fire of hate even further between the two supernatural races. And this war is still waging between the Kivati and Drekar in present day Settl...more
Lizzy Lessard
With a low page count, Kira Brady crams action and romance into every word. I adore the fast pace and while the romance struck quickly, so did the disgust in the townsfolk of Alice and Brand’s coupling. Just as soon as the two spend a moment together, they are thrusted into opposite sides of an ancient war between Shifters and Dragons.

I liked Brand more than Alice, as we learn he has a troubled history, while her background is limited to being the daughter of the town’s leader. Norgard was the o...more
Casey
Well written introduction into an elaborate supernatural world of shifters. Not usually a fan of historical romance but this was more supernatural and worked for me. I received a ARC of the third book of the series and after a chapter I decided to stop so I can read from the beginning.
Erin
What comes to mind immediately after reading this is "oooooooooh". I think that for a debut author, this is one of the best marketing tools ever. These novellas are a perfect way to drum up interest in a new book. Just enough to get a reader hooked. It introduces a new world and characters and especially for me, if I like it, I will immediately preorder the upcoming novel.

I liked this "prequel" and I loved how it sets up the novel (which I know is set in "present" day from the blurb) by introduc...more
Michelle
this is really more like a novella...not much character development here, but maybe it was just designed to frame the series that follows? In any case I'll plan to read book 1 later and give it a chance. If its Anthony like his though I'm not expecting too much.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3.5 to 4 stars

This teaser novella worked its magic to get me totally invested in the release of Hearts of Darkness, the kickoff to Kira Brady's Deadglass series. The world building is fascinating, and the chemistry between Alice and Brand zinged from the pages. The ending was like hitting a brick wall, though, and left me more than a little frustrated, because I wanted more. NOW! The first novel hits stores in August, and it's at the top of my wishlist.

Full review soon at www.mangamaniaccafe.com
Lovelee
3.5 a promising 4. A very quick read. I know its a prequel but IMO its a bit too short. the MC's were very quick to fall in love. They needed a little more time to build the relationship, romance, to be believable for me. The action was good. The world building is interesting, this story has promise to be really good. Love to read more about the Dragons and how the deadglass plays a role in the story. Looking forward to the release of Bk1 - Hearts of Drakness.
Mara
Dec 15, 2012 Mara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mara by: Meljean Brook
This novella is a nice intro to a new PNR trilogy (or series?) by a new author. The mythology involves some Native American elements, and the world-building looks like fun. This is just a short story, so the characters are a bit bland due to the format constraints, but I've bought the first book, and plan to read it as soon as it gets here.
Pam
A great prequel to introduce you to the world Kira Brady has created.

I enjoyed the characters and the connection they had from the minute they saw each other. The forbidden love story is compelling and interesting and I am excited to continue the series.

Dr susan
Hearts of Fire showed me that I was right to give Kira Brady another chance. Alice and Brand's story held my attention, and I really cared about their characters. I did not skim this story, but even before the Unraveling, Seattle was a grim, dark place.
Jaime
An interesting take on the shifter world. With Native American, Norse, and other European influences. A war amongst shifter’s, not another race could be very cool. A good novella, I look forward to the first book in the series.
Peter
A great Romeo and Juliet story introducing the titular deadglass and the rivalry between the Kivati and Drekar. It's not necessary to read this before HEARTS OF DARKNESS, but it's a good companion and back story.
Sherida Stewart
Fascinating prequel to the enchanting Deadglass Trilogy. Kira Brady's writing is amazing---great characters, involved plots and intriguing stories. This is Alice and Brand's happily-ever-after story.
  • Desert of the Damned (Demons in Exile #1)
  • Wraith's Awakening (Para-Ops, #0.5)
  • The Mysterious Madam Morpho (Blud, #1.5)
  • The Blushing Bounder (Iron Seas, #0.4)
  • Dire Warning (Eternal Wolf Clan, #0.5)
  • Cynders & Ashe
  • Death's Servant (The V V Inn, #0.1)
  • Shadow Play (Shadow Touch Novella, #2)
  • Demonically Tempted (Frostbite, #2)
  • A Demon and His Witch (Welcome to Hell, #1)
  • Mystical Seduction
  • The Lady Always Wins
  • Eternity and a Day (Desires of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Grave Intentions (Grave, #1)
  • Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)
  • Night Forbidden (Envy Chronicles, #5)
  • Legacy (The Niteclif Evolutions, #1)
  • A Tale Of Two Dragons (Dragon Kin, #0.2)
Author of the Deadglass Trilogy (Kensington Zebra). Hearts of Darkness was selected by Publishers Weekly as one of the Best Books of Summer 2012!

A native Seattleitte, Kira spent her childhood hiking the rainy forests of the Pacific Northwest and drying out by the fire with a good book and a mug of something hot. She graduated with honors from the University of Pennsylvania, where she met her real...more
More about Kira Brady...
Hearts of Darkness (Deadglass, #1) Hearts of Shadow (Deadglass, #2) Hearts of Chaos (Deadglass, #3)