Start by marking “Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky, #1)” as Want to Read:
Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky, #1)

Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,121 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
When Iris' mum leaves home, her brother, Sam, goes off the rails and her dad is left trying to hold it all together. So when a family of travellers sets up camp illegally in front of their farm, its the catalyst for a stand-off that can only end in disaster. But to Iris it's an adventure. She secretly strikes up a friendship with the gypsy boy, Trick, and discovers home ca ...more
Published February 14th 2013 by Simon & Schuster UK

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
63rd out of 513 books — 2,461 voters
Undone by Cat ClarkeLegacy by C.J. DaughertyAcid by Emma PassGeek Girl by Holly SmaleDeadly to Love by Mia Hoddell
UK YA in 2013
16th out of 165 books — 329 voters

More lists with this book...

Reynje
"And all the time the same question flails around my head, like a hawkmoth round a light-bulb: Is it possible to keep loving somebody when they kill someone you love?”

C.J. Flood’s debut, Infinite Sky, is a novel that is at once both understated and emotionally devastating; a story that unfolds gradually with a quietness that belies the impending tragedy.

The prologue hangs like a shadow over the following pages of the novel. It is made clear from the start that this is a story marked by death,
Neil (or bleed)
My detachment with this book is so high that even the later parts should be deftly sad and moving, I wasn't moved and felt sad. At all. I don't exactly know why but I just can't connect with Iris (the mc) and the other characters involved in this story.

Infinite Sky is not a bad book. It's not even boring, too, but when I'm not emotionally invested with the characters and even with the story, it tends to topple on the boring direction even it wasn't.

Infinite Sky is a family story. Iris is trying
Isamlq
Mar 30, 2013 Isamlq rated it it was amazing

I'm still crying. This despite knowing early on that something sad was going to happen (the very first chapter prepares us for it, but not really.. not at all!) Reading this one and feeling all the things that it has me feeling, has me wanting to reevaluate what type of book gets a four or five star rating from me nowadays, because honestly, if it's about the emotion, Infinite Skies deserves all my 4-5 star emotion based ratings ( and then some, because I'm still crying here)

I am certain that an
Irshad
Jan 23, 2016 Irshad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Infinite Sky by C.J Flood is a 4/5 star for me.

I picked this book out just based on the synopsis that some betrayal was about to take place. I wanted to indulge myself in a bittersweet novel and this definitely filled that pothole for me.

The story starts out slow with background information being delivered. This included the location of the protagonist, her surroundings, her family members and also the gypsy boy. This was crucial in the development of the story. And to top that, a map of Iris's
L. Lim
Jun 28, 2013 L. Lim rated it did not like it
Martinxo
May 23, 2013 Martinxo rated it really liked it
Recommended to Martinxo by: Tracy Hager
Shelves: fiction, 2013
This excellent book comes under the category of 'young adult' but don't let that put you off. It's a great story and I shed a little tear at the end. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
Becky
Jul 08, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
Infinite Sky is a beautifully written story of first love and loss. It’s a bittersweet read which squeezes the heart and fills you with a longing for something that’s just out of reach.

From the very first page, the most striking thing about this book is the quality of the writing. It has a beautiful simple sound to it. It reads as if the author considered every beat, every single word, every simile. It doesn’t come across as flowery language or particularly poetic. It’s more an earthy, honesty i
Soumi
An exceptionally good coming of age story of a thirteen years old girl Iris, which broke my heart and mended it at the same time.
The book was told from POV of Iris, narrating in a voice which was pretty unusual yet believing. It felt like I saw her world through her eyes.

Living in a broken family and dealing with her own teenage problems was pretty hard for Iris, until a new gypsy family moved to her father's land and she quickly developed a friendship with their boy Trick Deran. Her father tol
Lucy (Queen of Contemporary)
You can read more of my reviews at Queen of Contemporary

In this deep and heartfelt novel, Flood appeals to the readers emotions and sends them on a whirlwind journey of discovery.
When a family of travellers move into the paddock behind Iris Dancy’s farmhouse, she is immediately transfixed. Who are these people, and why does her dad hate them so much?

This book deals with tough subjects such as prejudice and discrimination and I think those subjects were dealt with in a very good manner. The hosti

Ever since her mum left Iris's family has been falling apart, her dad has been drinking too much and her brother Sam has become angry and withdrawn. Iris is only 13 years old but she is the one who is trying to hold them together, she does her best to take care of the house and cook for them all but it isn't easy and she's left feeling sad and alone. The day a family of travellers move onto their land changes everything, her father and Sam are both angry and want the travellers gone but
Kit Grindstaff
Mar 23, 2013 Kit Grindstaff rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. As a Brit expat, its Englishness gave me a sweet longing for those slow, lazy summers that Flood describes so well here. But don’t be fooled by sunny fields and cornfield hideouts: they’re woven through with the very gritty stuff of abandonment and loss, judgment and prejudice, in a compelling and heartfelt story told through the understanding eyes of its main character, Iris.

Left by their mum, Iris and Sam face summer with their dad, who's busy drowning his sorrows. Sam, par
Matisse
Jul 13, 2015 Matisse rated it it was amazing
It's been months since I read a book as touching and heart-achingly beautiful as Flood's 'Infinite Sky'.

The novel opens simply enough. We meet Iris, the thirteen-but-not-yet-fourteen-year-old protagonist. There is her broken family, the gypsy caravan that has taken residence in her farm, and Trick, the cute traveler boy who lives with them. It's all set up to be a cute little boy-meets-girl story. Not until the fifty-page mark or so do we realize that 'Infinite Sky' wants to transcend YA conven
Kristine
May 06, 2014 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced readers copy of this book from Atheneum Books for Young Readers via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I am writing this review minutes after putting the book down and I will warn you that my eyes are puffy and my emotions are raw. This book did not just give me that awful lump in my throat but tears that ran down my cheeks.

It is evident from the prologue that something terr
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Infinite sky is a beautiful book which will make you smile and break your heart at the same time. I enjoyed it thoroughly and whizzed through it in one sitting because I literally couldn't put it down.

For me this book was really about the relationships you form with people and the challenges those relationships can face. The story follows Iris a teenage girl who makes friends with the gypsy boy who are camped up on her father's land. Her father is very prejudice against the gypsy family from th
Heather
Dec 11, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
(This review can also be found on my blog (The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

When I first heard of Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood, I knew it was a book that I was going to have to read as soon as possible. Firstly, because I have a thing for Irish travellers. I find them fascinating. Secondly, it sounded like a really good read. I must say that I fell in love with this story.

Infinite Sky is a coming of age story told by thirteen year old Iris. Iris' mother has left her, her br
Siew Ee
May 20, 2013 Siew Ee rated it really liked it
With these words in the prologue, “Is it possible to keep loving somebody when they kill somebody you love?“, I asked myself whether I should go on. After all, the author has prepared the reader for the worst. I did read on because of two main reasons : 1) to find out who was the killer and the victim, both of whom were close to her heart; and 2) What happened? Ahem … that basically meant reading the whole book.

There’s Iris, a thirteen-year-old girl weathering a difficult teenage phase followin
Jodie (Books for Company)
Jun 07, 2013 Jodie (Books for Company) rated it really liked it
www.booksforcompany.com
In Short
- Infinite Sky is a unique read which tackles difficult 'subjects'.
- I loved both the main characters and felt they were developed well.
- I like how C.J. let the reader make their mind up about Trick and his character.
- The storyline kept my attention throughout the book.

In Long
I haven’t ever read a story like Infinite Sky before and I was excited to start reading it. I was intrigued by the storyline and wanted to get to know Trick’s character and see how C.J. had
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack
Apr 28, 2013 ReadingToTheStarsAndBack rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at: ReadingToTheStarsAndBack

Infinite Sky was so emotional, I actually teared up towards the end.

Some reviewers have pointed out that it can be a little vague in places, but I think that’s how it’s meant to come across.

There was an innocence to Iris that was refreshing after reading YA novels that are about older teens.

In some ways it reminded me of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Not just because it contains death, but there was a spark in this novel similar to TFiOS.

T
Nicole McInnes
Jul 24, 2013 Nicole McInnes rated it it was amazing
Though I know Chelsey through our mutual author group The Lucky 13s, that has no bearing on the fact that INFINITE SKY is one of the most gorgeous YA novels I have ever read.

The story of young teen Iris simultaneously dealing with her mother's essential abandonment and her own curiosity about the gypsy-like boy and his family who have set up camp nearby is unusual and compelling. Characters are explored so beautifully through their actions and dialogue that I often marveled at the author's abil
Iffath
Jan 04, 2013 Iffath rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-ya, read-in-2012
I started INFINITE SKY with the expectation of something pretty, something that would take my mind off things. It was, and it did.

The novel is about 13-year-old Iris, who befriends a mysterious gypsy boy, whose family has taken up residence near her home. Gypsy travellers are seen in a very negative manner in the story, Iris' father even forbidding her to talk to any of them. But her eyes are not prejudiced, and so begins a heart-warming relationship with the boy, Trick.

I really liked Iris' char
Jun 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Summary:
Iris's family has been torn apart. Her mom left and her dad doesn't seem to be handling things really well. Her brother has become withdrawn and she is left taking care of everything. She's feeling lonely when all of a sudden a family of gypsies moves into the area illegally. She secretly gets to know Trick, a boy from that family, but when things get to be a little more, she discovers that her father is trying to get them evicted.

My thoughts:
This is a story that investigates several lar
Annette Hall
Mar 16, 2016 Annette Hall rated it really liked it
Infinite sky by C.J.Flood was a Maximum Pop Books win

I liked the title and the book cover illustration, I thought it looked rather ethereal and sensitive.

The story is about a young girl, Iris, and her first love- with all its wonder, innocence and intensity. It is spoilt when it came up against the assumptions of her father, who can’t understand that the relationship is platonic, and tries to end it.

There is a theme of prejudice woven into the story. Iris’s boyfriend, Trick, is a gypsy boy. He
Charles
Nov 18, 2014 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of lovers from widely different backgrounds meeting under difficult circumstances is of course an old one. In this case the boy and girl are young and their lives are in a state of turmoil, meaning that for each of them the other is a stable point in their existence.
The story is set in England and Iris is in her early teens. Two months earlier her mother had packed up a van and left for North Africa, abandoning the family in her search for adventure and discovery. Iris' father and her
Keiraobrien
Jul 23, 2014 Keiraobrien rated it it was amazing
Considering this is CJ Flood's debut novel- it is of a really high standard and is possibly one of the best books I have very read.

The story has three main characters (Iris, Trick and Sam)- Iris and Sam are siblings who live on a farm with their father, their mother leaves them on a trip to go and "find herself". Trick is one of the young gypsies who come and illegally set up camp in the Paddock. We do not meet Iris' s mother until near the end of the boom when a family disaster brings them all
Kayla
Aug 01, 2014 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still in a bit of a shock after reading this story and am unsure how to explain it. All I can say without spoiling it is that C.J. Flood is a great writer, her writing allows you easily slip into Iris's skin, thinking her thoughts and feeling her emotions.

The story starts off with the this under lying tension in Iris's life now that her mother is gone, at any moment the thread holding her family together could snap. This becomes more evident once the Gypsies move into the paddock. In fact I
Amanda Sun
Mar 01, 2013 Amanda Sun rated it it was amazing
What an astonishing book. Lyrical and beautiful, Flood finds deep meaning in the smallest of things, each feeling familiar and at the same time, a wonder. I saw myself in Iris, trying to make sense of the complex adult world that we must live in, even as a child. This is a stunning debut by an incredible talent. Infinite Sky is an absolute delight, and Flood is an author to watch.
Barbara
It's clear from the beginning of this book that someone has died, which means readers will read furiously in order to find out who that someone is. But that's not the only reason to read this well-written exploration of first love, the tangled webs of friendship, betrayal, and the danger of assumptions. Thirteen-year-old Iris feels increasingly distanced from her father and older brother Sam after her mother leaves the family in search of adventure. While she catches up with her mother in weekly ...more
paula
Infinite Sky is a book that grows on you. Its beauty, like that of the book’s setting in rural England, builds with every scene, at first prosaic like a sunny summer day and at length revealed to be as profound and brutal as nature itself.

Thirteen-year-old Iris has a lot to deal with as summer commences. Her mother has left home, throwing the remaining family - Iris’s dad and older brother Sam - into a state of withdrawn, bitter depression. When a family of gypsies set up camp in the paddock adj
Amber (Books of Amber)
Jan 22, 2013 Amber (Books of Amber) rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-debut
I was expecting Infinite Sky to be a beautiful and captivating read, but unfortunately it didn't live up to those expectations. It was pretty dull. Despite being bored for most of the book, I did get kicked right in the feels towards the end.

Full review: http://www.booksofamber.com/2013/01/i...
Caroline Hedges
May 27, 2015 Caroline Hedges rated it really liked it
Her other book is hugely popular with my 10 - 12 year old students so I thought I would try this, her debut. I thought she pitched it just right to this age group and slightly older. I could see how their mums departure could lead them down the paths they chose and I really felt for Iris, trying to carry on when everyone around her fell apart. Trick was exotic enough for me to understand her fascination and because I knew where the story was going to end, it was sad to see how they got there and ...more
  • Undone
  • Brianna on the Brink
  • Bruised
  • Me, Him, Them, & It
  • Dead Romantic
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • Fault Line
  • That Time I Joined the Circus
  • The Flame in the Mist
  • The Symptoms of My Insanity
  • Nobody But Us
Hi, I'm Chelsey. I grew up in Derby, and now live in Bristol. I like fire and the sea and trees.
More about C.J. Flood...

Infinite Sky (2 books)
  • Untitled (Infinite Sky, #2)

“There was nothing I wished I'd said to him. There was nothing I wished I hadn't said.” 10 likes
“For some reasonthen, I remember how Sam hated to be laughed at, and all of the times I did it anyway, because I wanted him to feel stupid, and I wonder how anybody can be cruel to someone they love. How can anyone do anything but love each other and be kind when at the end of it all, waiting quietly, sure as the dark at the end of the loveliest day, is only this?” 7 likes