Start by marking “Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, Book 7)” as Want to Read:
Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, Book 7)

Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna #7)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  23 reviews
First published in 1927, this international bestseller is now back in print. Jalna is the first book in the popular series about a Canadian family named Whiteoak, who live in southern Ontario in a red-brick house called Jalna. In Jalna, the unforgettable family makes its first appearance. Two grandsons cause tumult when they bring their brides to live at Jalna, and Grandmo ...more
Hardcover, Whiteoak Edition, 348 pages
Published 1955 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Jalna, please sign up.

Jay So far not--I tend to read one a year--usually in the summer.

Janet Barclay
Jul 24, 2011 Janet Barclay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janet by: my mother
Shelves: canadian
I read and enjoyed the entire Whiteoaks of Jalna series as a teenager, beginning with The Building of Jalna and finishing with Centenary at Jalna. When my mother passed away in 1996, I discovered that somewhere along the way she had acquired the full set in paperback. Since I had always intended to read them again some day, I took them home and added them to my own library.

This summer, I decided to re-enter the world of Jalna, but this time I'm reading the books in the order they were written, r
Helmisade
So I finally gave in and started reading this series. My mother has been going on and on about Jalna since I can remember and she finally bought this one for me at a used books store, because she "just knows that I will love it".

And of course I was forced to admit that mom was right and I fell in love with the Whiteoaks. This one (the 7th in the series chronologically) has a lot of characters and juicy drama and it also got me curious about what happened before. So now I'm working my way throug
Kathy  Petersen
Jalna is totally absorbing. Like all the Jalna novels, it is well written and its characters well drawn. De La Roche makes the landscape here is especially lyrical, the multifaceted plot especially interesting, and the many characters of the Whiteoak family distinctive and, not always attractive, but generally sympathetic and, well, real. The rascally matriarch celebrates her 100th birthday, and while no completely "happy endings" are in sight, Jalna and the Whiteoaks endure.
Maria Rihte
Funny and interesting to re-read something from your childhood. I remember going to the library in Helsinki and the the first book suggested by the librarian in the adult-book-department was the Jalna series by Mazo de la Roche. Little did I know that I would be living, for a while, not too far from the original Jalna.
Interesting how life surprises you.
I do understand why I loved the series madly when I was a younger…and I enjoyed the re-read experience for nostalgic reasons.
Edith
I read the whole series as a teenager. Even though I haven't read them in years I still give 5 stars. Just for the memory. I was leaving with the Whiteoak when I read them for sure.
Holly
JALNA is a beautifully written story set in Ontario, Canada. There are lyrical descriptions of Nature, for the Whiteoaks live on a large country estate with horses, dogs, livestock and even a pet parrot! As early as chapter two we learn the family history which is dominated by Adeline Whiteoak, now a 99-year-old grandmother. But the real appeal lies in the shocking, semi-incestuous relationships of her grandchildren. In many ways JALNA qualifies as soap opera, but it's a magnificent one on a par ...more
Annette Hart
Its been a long time since I read the Whiteoak saga and I am enjoying a revisit to the series. It's interesting how some of your view points change and some don't as you get older. In my teens I was very interested in the Piers/Pheasant romance but now I find Piers irritating. I also have a lot more sympathy and interest in Finch. I used to feel sorry for Alayne but now I feel irritated with her and sorry for Renny! But I still enjoy a good book version of a soap.
Carolyn Agosta
Since this is the book that began the series, I'm surprised to find that I didn't enjoy it all that much. Okay, I can understand that the author got better as time went by, but the point is, THIS book was what made people interested in reading more and I just don't really see why. It was only OKAY. I had originally intended to read all the books in order of their events (she wrote them out of chronological order), but probably won't finish now.
Meg Ulmes
This novel was the first to be published and its popularity started the Jalna series. After reading it I can understand why. So far, it is the strongest book so far. It is has the most serious plot and the most carefully drawn characters and an open ending that obviously invites more books. I'm ready to read the next one....
Valerie
Jul 26, 2009 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, romance readers
I read this book in Jr Hi and escaped into another time and place. I have read it more times than I can count and eventually bought the entire set at garage sales, booksales and the internet. I want to be part of the Whiteoak family! I especially enjoyed it because my father was from Ontario Canada.
Amma
Aug 04, 2007 Amma rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic minds
Shelves: ammahasread
this is a family history that starts around year 1900.

If you are depressed then this is an excellent read that takes you far away from the depressing troubles of the world today.
Anne
I read this whole series when I was a teenager and loved the books ever since. I have tried to find them in used bookstores and hope to someday complete the collection.
Bea Alden
Good wholesome family story - read it more than once - compare to a good macaroni cheese casserole.
Original publication date was way, way back. 1920s or '30s.
Fran Piercey
A family saga set in Southern Ontario. Won Best Novel in 1927, th author went on to write 15 more following the Whiteoak family.
Jo-Lane Birkigt
Quite enjoyable, wish I'd known this one wasn't the first in the series, will have to see if I can get the rest.
Shirley
Read the whole series early in my teens and seeing them on here has tempted me to read them again
Patty
I love this series. I just got the next book and can't wait to read it.
L.  (I've Stopped Counting)
A book about a bunch of assholes. And who would name their daughter Pheasant?
Carolyn Johnson
This is a very well written book in the Jalna series, one of my favorites.
Gail Treloar
Not what I thought it would be. Not a bad story but not very exciting either.
Jean
Loved this whole series!
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
  • The Rules of Engagement
  • Barometer Rising
  • Raymond and Hannah
  • Leaving Earth
  • Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2)
  • The Incomparable Atuk
  • The Blue Helmet
  • In a Glass House
  • In the Land of Long Fingernails
  • The Thai Amulet (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #7)
  • Roughing It in the Bush
  • Martin Sloane
  • Strangle hold (Detective Greene, #4)
Mazo de la Roche, born Mazo Louise Roche, was the author of the Jalna novels, one of the most popular series of books of her time.

The Jalna series consists of sixteen novels that tell the story of the Canadian Whiteoak family from 1854 to 1954, although each of the novels can also be enjoyed as an independent story. In the world of the Whiteoaks, as in real life, people live and die, find success
More about Mazo de la Roche...

Whiteoaks of Jalna (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Building Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #1)
  • Morning at Jalna (Whiteoaks Of Jalna, #2)
  • Mary Wakefield (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #3)
  • Young Renny (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #4)
  • Whiteoak Heritage (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #5)
  • Whiteoak Brothers (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #6)
  • Whiteoaks Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #8)
  • Finch's Fortune (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #9)
  • The Master of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #10)
  • Whiteoak Harvest (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #11)
The Building Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #1) Mary Wakefield (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #3) Whiteoaks Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #8) Morning at Jalna (Whiteoaks Of Jalna, #2) Return to Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #13)