Start by marking “The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  154,155 Ratings  ·  19,689 Reviews
"'There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve,' Neeve said. 'Either you're his true love...or you killed him.'"

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them — not until this year, when a boy emerges fro
Published July 30th 2013 by Scholastic Inc. (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Boys, please sign up.

Mawkingbird Not at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the…moreNot at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the main characters, and the female protagonist is not a passive one at all. She gets things done, has her own opinions, and while she does have some feelings regarding 'love', the focus is not at all on that.(less)

Emily May
Quirky loner girl meets privileged rich boy(s). Forbidden love and angst ensue.

I seem to have this habit. For the past couple of years, I've mostly been deliberately avoiding paranormal YA from authors I don't already love. The genre is a hard sell for me, filled with tropes that lead to low ratings and irritated reviews. But really, what tends to happen is this: the first book comes out and I avoid it, look the other way as other bloggers get excited and fangirl over the upcoming sequel.

Then t
Zoë
Apr 17, 2015 Zoë rated it it was amazing
Reread in 2017:
I loved it so much more the second time! Every character was unique and fleshed out and I fell in love with them all! Well, most of them. Can't wait to pick up The Dream Thieves!

Book 34/100 of 2015:
I really enjoyed this! I came into this book not knowing anything about the plot, just that there were some weirdly named kids and something about ravens. It was a little difficult to get into as I had no idea where the plot would go and it was just overall pretty slow. However, halfway
Natalie
Mar 06, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
“She wasn’t interested in telling other people’s futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

I went into this book expecting to hate it, but I was truly surprised by it— right from page 1.
I read the prologue before I went to bed and I had to convince myself to put it down because I knew if I wouldn’t, I’d be extremely sleep deprived the next morning. It was so good.
And it was constantly on my mind the next morning, I kept thinking about that fat
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 14, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
OK. SO THIS BOOK WAS PRETTY GREAT.

The book was very slow-moving for the first half or so, but I always found myself drawn in by the beautiful writing and the fabulous characters. This story is first and foremost about the characters, and I completely adored the friendship between the boys, and between Blue and the boys later on. Going into this, I thought it was going to be told solely from Blue's POV, and I am so glad that it wasn't. Getting to know the boys before they got to know Blue was a r
Wendy Darling
On a cold night every spring, sixteen-year-old Blue and her psychic mother wait in a churchyard for the dead to arrive. Her mother is usually the one who sees the spirits of people who will die within the next twelve months, but this year, Blue herself is startled by the sad, desperate sight of a boy named Gansey falling to his knees before her.

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

With those chilling
Riley
Aug 31, 2015 Riley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Easily the best book I've read all year.

I've never read a book before where I love every single character equally.
Blue: she is everything i aspire to be and i just want to be bffs with her
Gansey: yes plz
Ronan: he's so scary and angry but you just know he secretly loves to watch cute cat videos
Adam: he must be wrapped in a warm blanket and protected at all costs
Noah: my precious cinnamon bun
Lola  Reviewer
The only character I like is Ronan. Which is... very ironic.

It might be time for Maggie Stiefvater and I to part ways.

Truly, there's nothing actually ''wrong'' with her style; it simply does not appeal to me. But this is the kind of story that I feel would be read in a better way if written in the 1st person point of view instead of 3rd. There is this possibility to feel connected to the protagonists... but a slim and invisible barrier seems to continuously block that connection. Even for Ronan.
Katerina
Oct 16, 2015 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, favorites
“You're looking for a god. Didn't you suspect that there was also a devil?”

Instant new favorite!!

Psychics. Ghosts. Spirits. Sleeping kings. Legends. Enchanted forests. And a cursed romance. Maggie Stiefvater is an artist, ladies and gentlemen!

“Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.”

I was spellbound by this hauntingly beautiful paranormal tale since that very first sentence. Maggie Stiefvater narrates the story of how Blue Sargent met
Steph Sinclair
Sep 29, 2013 Steph Sinclair marked it as on-hold
Recommended to Steph by: Paul, Ameriie, Wendy Darling and a bunch of other people.
I'm finally submitting to peer pressure.
Maxwell
Aug 24, 2015 Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2015
Do I need to even explain myself? No? Well, I will anyway.

This book has it all:

The best characters.
Maggie (I feel like we're on a first name basis) doesn't neglect developing any of the characters. Whether they show up for one scene or are a main character, they are real, fleshed-out people. I have a hard time believing Blue and the Raven Boys aren't walking around somewhere in Virginia right now on their search.

Perfect writing.
It's almost frightening how accurately the writing fits the mood of
Clau R.
Mar 31, 2015 Clau R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Todo el libro me gustó muchísimo... con excepción de los últimos capítulos. Me confundieron bastante, pero no sólo eso... el "conflicto final" no me emocionó nada, lo sentí flojo.

PERO en sí me gustaron bastante los personajes y claro que seguiré leyendo la saga. La historia me parece original y muy mística, tiene ese aire mágico que me encanta leer.
Petrik
Jun 07, 2017 Petrik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Shelves: owned-physical
Raven Boys turns out to be more interesting that I thought it would be.

I was reluctant to start this series, not only that most of the hyped YA series always disappointed me, this one also seems like a book written specifically for girls. Don’t kill me SJW, here’s the fact and statistic. If I go to the front page of Raven Boys, out of my friend list (right now around 600), 200 of them has read and rated it. Out of those 200, only 13 of them consists of male. Yes, 13 out of 200 AND this is only b
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

Really really liked this!
l a i n e y
Review with my funny face? http://youtu.be/mZyzt0qw7tg

I enjoyed the hell out of this book. At one point, and I shit you not, I literally yelled "FUN!". Don't worry I was in my bedroom so no side eye whatsoever.

I was simply enthralled.

I've seen people said so and so is an 'atmospheric book' and I have never truly understood what they meant before. Until i picked this up. The Raven Boys was the definition of ambien and mystery . And I was simply lost to hours of intensely joyful read.

I got so inv
Mitch
Sep 19, 2012 Mitch rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-favorites
Up until the very end, I was so sure The Raven Boys would be making an appearance on my top favorites list. Maggie Stiefvater’s latest book has everything I want from a great reading experience, a complex narrative, an intriguing and highly developed cast of characters, an utterly haunting style of writing that just blew me away from the first sentence recounting a dire prophecy. Sadly, my enthusiasm dampened somewhat once I sensed Stiefvater was trying a bit too hard to set up a new series, lea ...more
Navessa

This book is why I give authors second, third, and sometimes even fourth chances (*cough* Colleen Hoover *cough*). Because while I might not enjoy one book they wrote, I like to think that doesn't mean I'll hate everything they publish.

Take Stiefvater. I tried to read Shiver a while back, and my review for it is literally just this gif:

This book is also why I believe in mood reading. I picked it up a while ago and got about 50 pages in before setting it aside. The opening is...not strong. I me
Justin
Aug 15, 2016 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday I walked into my library's Young Adult section which is inside its own special Young Adult room. There were all these kids hanging out playing video games when this bearded 31 year old man walked into the room. He was a man on a mission, a mission to quickly identify the YA Series section, track down the YA SER RAV label on the spine of The Raven Boys, and get the heck outta that room before anyone knew I (I mean he) was there.

Mission accomplished.

Then I walked around the library loo
Ben Alderson
Nov 16, 2013 Ben Alderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RE READ THIS BOOK AND OMG YES!
LOVED IT A SECOND TIME ROUND
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 Kai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A TV SHOW GUYS! A TV SHOW OMFG

“Watch for the devil. When there’s a god, there’s always a legion of devils.”

When I first read The Raven Boys a year ago, I never thought I would fall in love with it, and then all over again and again and again. I didn't expect it to turn out this way.
I expected a cheesy romantic up-and-down relationship between Blue and Gansey. Ghosts and foretellings, sure, but definitely not this good. In fact, I expected an average teen fantasy novel, but Maggie Stiefvater did
Cait (Paper Fury)
SO THIS IS A RE-READ BECAUSE I'M 100000% OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK. But I'm also an idiot and lost my original review. Let me cryyyyy. I desperately wanted to compare my then and now thoughts. AGHHH, CAIT. FIRE YOUR STUPID BRAIN. I'll just blame it on the fact that I am too insanely besotted with this book to be thinking clearly. #legit

Okay so....hm...how do I put it? MAGGIE STIEFVATER IS MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR OF EVER. It's hard to explain all the reasons why, but her writing always just MESHES with
Ryan
4.5/5 stars

"Fortunate is the soul who finds the king and is brave enough to call him to wakefulness, for the king will grant him a favour, as wondrous as can be imagined by a mortal man."

(Maybe mild spoilers? Take heed, my friends.)

description

Let me get this out of the way: I'm not even going to pretend that this is a review. This is a long, fangirly, incoherent mess of my thoughts, that may contain minor spoilers. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Dear Raven Boys:

The Raven Boys has been on my TBR for a very
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
“My words are unerring tools of destruction,
and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”

I've never reviewed any of these books, but I'm going to attempt today. Here goes nothing.

This is not a recommendation. Go ahead, read it if you want to read it. This series is definitely not for everyone, so I won't hold it against you if you ended up despising it. I have read these books multiple times already and will continue in the future. Since this is a character driven book I'll go
Kassidy
Jul 15, 2012 Kassidy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Beautifully written, the characters are wonderful!
I just wish it didn't take me so long to read it.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
4/21/17 - ON SALE for $3.99:

Urban Fantasy is a hugely popular genre, both adult and YA versions.

The majority of the world's inhabiting such books are as different, as other, as any of the worlds in a traditional fantasy, just more . . . modern.

There are cars and gas stations, cell phones, fast food chains . . . An infinite number of familiar things, yet, for various reasons, these alternate realities are still alien.

Occasionally, you find one that isn't.

The author so vividly capture
Lala BooksandLala
This is favourite series of all time. I can't even write a review about it, I would just end up copying the entire novel down verbatim and saying, "This is my favourite part. And this part. And that part. And that quote and these characters and all of it and everything forever and always."
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

4.5 stars, one stunned face, one hundred facepalms, a dozen OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WROTE IT THEN AND I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE, one brilliant book.

"Ronan said, "I'm always straight."
Adam replied, "Oh, man, that's the biggest lie you've ever told."

Truth be told, I wasn't fully immerged in The Raven Boys when I first read it, and it took Ronan's amazingness in The Dream Thieves to make me fall in love with these boys and their strange quest.

Honestly, I didn't even want to give another chanc
Lainey
Feb 09, 2016 Lainey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Video Review: Coming soon, will update when that's live.

Ok. So maybe you can relate to this or not, but you know when you raged the night before and then you woke up the next morning and you have this stream of consciousness that goes a little like this:
1. Where am I?
2. I'm in my bed, good.
3. Wait, how did I get here?
4. What's going on?

Well, that's how I felt the majority of this book. I would be in the middle of the paragraph and think, "how did I get here?" Honestly, the writing and the pacing
Andreea Pop
“Keep being brave.”

Unique, eerie, compelling and magical. These are the attributes that perfectly describe The Raven Boys. But perhaps I am redundant in my words due to the fact I am a few years late to the hype and all I could say has been already said. Rest assured though, I'll keep my fangirling to a minimum. I do have a series to finish.

The story in this book is the epitome of weeeeird. Strange and otherworldly. Original and enthralling nonetheless. I mean -- ley lines and Welsh hidden ki
Maureen
Apr 14, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't begin to tell you how much I loved this book. THE HYPE WAS REAL AND IT LIVED UP TO IT. The characters, plot, and writing were all phenomenal, and I'm so excited to read the rest of the series!

Reread March 24-April 12th in preparation for THE RAVEN KING!

This book is so wonderful on so many levels. I really loved listening to the audiobook this time around. I JUST LOVE BLUE AND THE BOYS AND THE PLOT AND THE WRITING AND EVERYTHING IS THE BEST.
Kaylin
4 Stars

Overview:

I FINALLY READ IT, OKAY.

I’m pretty sure this was recommended to me no less than 2,347 times, and it’s been all over my Goodreads and Tumblr feeds for what feels like forever. So I’m a little late to the party, but SO glad I started this series

Pros:

Most of my thoughts about this can be summed up by the Adam Parrish wiki:

description

Adam Parrish is a cinnamon roll who needs to
Forgotten YA Gems: June 22-28: chapters 37-46 10 44 Jun 23, 2017 08:35PM
Forgotten YA Gems: June 15-21: chapters 25-36 16 44 Jun 23, 2017 08:27PM
Forgotten YA Gems: June 8-14: chapters 13-24 10 39 Jun 22, 2017 05:02AM
Doubleinfinity Bo...: Průběžná diskuze ke knize The Raven Boys 4 7 Jun 19, 2017 01:30PM
Forgotten YA Gems: June 1-7: chapters 1-12 26 86 Jun 18, 2017 11:11PM
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
  • Carnival of Secrets (Untamed City, #1)
  • The Strange Maid (The United States of Asgard, #2)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone, #1)
  • Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1)
  • Rotters
  • The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Raven Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

“My words are unerring tools of
destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”
1607 likes
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.” 1112 likes