Start by marking “The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  76,011 ratings  ·  10,192 reviews
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue never sees them--until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks to her.

His name is Gansey, a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is
Published July 30th 2013 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Boys, please sign up.

Mawkingbird Not at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the…moreNot at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the main characters, and the female protagonist is not a passive one at all. She gets things done, has her own opinions, and while she does have some feelings regarding 'love', the focus is not at all on that.(less)
Rumesa I have recently reread the book The Raven Boys and I am absolutely in love with these books. The characters, the writing style (once you adjust to…moreI have recently reread the book The Raven Boys and I am absolutely in love with these books. The characters, the writing style (once you adjust to it), the plot and setting, everything is just so different from what I've been reading, and so rare. It's YA, but at the same time, it gives off a very mature and adult vibe, especially in the way the characters think and interact. The details were a little blury and I don't remember being so into the book the first time I read it, but once I came around, I just grew to love almost everything about this well constructed story. Its an amazing and unique read. I would definitely recommend it,.(less)
YA Novels of 2012
54th out of 1,318 books — 10,406 voters
The Raven Boys by Maggie StiefvaterAlice in Zombieland by Gena ShowalterWhat's Left of Me by Kat ZhangUnspoken by Sarah Rees BrennanHidden by Sophie Jordan
September 2012
1st out of 185 books — 303 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
On a cold night every spring, sixteen-year-old Blue and her psychic mother wait in a churchyard for the dead to arrive. Her mother is usually the one who sees the spirits of people who will die within the next twelve months, but this year, Blue herself is startled by the sad, desperate sight of a boy named Gansey falling to his knees before her.

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

With those chilling
Cas
Post Reading:

Absolutely adored this book! An amazing start to a new series; plus, Ms. Stiefvater's writing style and story telling just gets better and better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before Reading:
Maggie! A new series by Maggie!

Can't wait for you, Raven Boys!!

Raeleen Lemay
OK. SO THIS BOOK WAS PRETTY GREAT.

The book was very slow-moving for the first half or so, but I always found myself drawn in by the beautiful writing and the fabulous characters. This story is first and foremost about the characters, and I completely adored the friendship between the boys, and between Blue and the boys later on. Going into this, I thought it was going to be told solely from Blue's POV, and I am so glad that it wasn't. Getting to know the boys before they got to know Blue was a r
Emily May
Quirky loner girl meets privileged rich boy(s). Forbidden love and angst ensue.

I seem to have this habit. For the past couple of years, I've mostly been deliberately avoiding paranormal YA from authors I don't already love. The genre is a hard sell for me, filled with tropes that lead to low ratings and irritated reviews. But really, what tends to happen is this: the first book comes out and I avoid it, look the other way as other bloggers get excited and fangirl over the upcoming sequel.

Then t
Mitch
Up until the very end, I was so sure The Raven Boys would be making an appearance on my top favorites list. Maggie Stiefvater’s latest book has everything I want from a great reading experience, a complex narrative, an intriguing and highly developed cast of characters, an utterly haunting style of writing that just blew me away from the first sentence recounting a dire prophecy. Sadly, my enthusiasm dampened somewhat once I sensed Stiefvater was trying a bit too hard to set up a new series, lea ...more
Lola
The only character that I liked was Ronan. Which is... very ironic.

It might be time for Maggie Stiefvater and I to part ways.

Truly, there's nothing actually ''wrong'' with her style; it simply does not appeal to me. But, this was the kind of story that I would feel would be read in a better way if written at the 1st person POV instead of 3rd. There was this possibility to feel connected to the protagonists... but a slim and invisible barrier seemed to block that connection every time. Even Ronan
Regan
4.5

Really really liked this!
Maureen
I can't begin to tell you how much I loved this book. THE HYPE WAS REAL AND IT LIVED UP TO IT. The characters, plot, and writing were all phenomenal, and I'm so excited to read the rest of the series!
Zoë (readbyzoe)
Book 34/100 of 2015

I really enjoyed this! I came into this book not knowing anything about the plot, just that there were some weirdly named kids and something about ravens. It was a little difficult to get into as I had no idea where the plot would go and it was just overall pretty slow. However, halfway through it really picked up and surprised me! I will definitely be picking up the next book sometime in the near future.
Anna
That is the BEST last line I have read in a while.

This book is strange and magical and also gritty at times, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Well, anyone who likes strange.
Giselle
The synopsis for The Raven Boys is what first attracted me to this novel. A girl from a clairvoyant family who sees her first "soon-to-be-dead" ghost, the ghost of a boy who is currently a high school student, the ghost of a boy who she can't fall in love with. Because she's pretty sure what kills him is their first kiss. I know! This sounds exactly like a book for me. I was highly intrigued by this premise and especially excited by all the wonderful reviews it has gotten thus far, but I soon ca ...more
Hailey LeBlanc (HailsHeartsNyc)
What a pleasant surprise! The writing, the characterization, the plot.. just all on point! I went in not really thinking I would enjoy it as much as everyone else does but I really loved it! I need to get my hands on the next book ASAP!
Aly∞
AFTER REREAD:

[ source ]

After a third reread, I have to admit that the things that bothered me the first time, barely annoyed me. I'm falling hard for all the raven boys and even Blue's quirkiness has become sort of endearing rather than a pain in the ass.

At one store, Gansey had started to pay for
Catie
Mar 15, 2013 Catie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
2 1/2 stars

When I first started this book many months ago, it fell right into not one, but TWO of my worst book dealbreakers. To quote myself from six months ago (because we all know how much I love to do that):

“Forbidden Love + YA

= No. I just can’t handle it anymore. I can’t handle whatever crazy-ass excuse (different classes, different species, he’s a murderer, he’s a sociopath, he’s a stalker but he’s oh so HOT anyway…) will be used to keep the love interests apart. And even MORE than that, I
Mpauli

and ravens blend.

Also available as vid
Elisabeth
I'm so confused...
I need book two! Stiefvater you've ruined my life!!
Tammara
I'll admit it - I'm a sucker for a guy with the ability to command a room, his peers, and total strangers by the tone of his voice, his vocabulary, and the absolute knowledge of who he is. He has money, or he will, and he knows it. If there's a dilemma he wants to solve, he'll solve it. If an injustice annoys him, he will right it. Insecure superiors are a bit afraid he makes them something less just by sharing physical space, and their fears are probably founded.

So unlike our heroine, the very
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Just finished re-reading this and it was even more wonderful the second time. I loved it the first time I read it, but I was confused by a few things ... and reading it a second time it was way less confusing, I think because I already knew what all the major plot twists were and whatnot. Anyway ... now I'm going to re-read the second one in anticipation of the third one coming out soon-ish.

I plan to write a new review of this eventually, but my old review is under the spoiler below.

(view spoi
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The Raven Boys is not a book you can just breeze through and immediately forget. Once again Maggie Stiefvater wrote a story that refuses to be categorized, or even properly described. For me, discovering it and its characters was a slow process. It was like scratching off a lottery ticket when you have no coin to scratch with, so you use your fingernails, and it’s messy and infuriating right up until the point you uncover it all and realize you’ve actually won. That’s what The Raven Boys really ...more
♥Rachel♥

Wow! I just now finished this and I'm sort of speechless, in a good way, but now somehow I have to form a coherent review.

Every April 24th, St. Mark's Eve, Blue Sargent and her psychic mother wait in an old church yard to see the spirits of anyone who will die in the next twelve months. When Blue shows up to write down the locals names, it's the first time she actually sees one of the spirits, a boy that is clearly a student of Aglionby, the local private school of Henrietta's privileged. When
grace
4.5! This was unlike anything I've read before. Loved this book so much. Maggie Stiefvater is an incredible writer.
Christine Riccio
SO SURPRISED at how much I ended up enjoying this,here's my extensive Booktalk/discussion: http://youtu.be/IQ1VoYa_PBU =D
Keertana
A little over a month ago, I finished my first Stiefvater novel, The Scorpio Races and ever since, The Raven Boys has, quite unexpectedly really, become one of my most anticipated books of the year. While The Raven Boys most certainly did not disappoint, I found myself to be strangely disappointed. Yet, this, by no means, means that The Raven Boys is a bad book - quite the contrary in fact. It's an atmospheric tale whose crazy story will suck you in, whose characters will become your friends, an ...more
Chelsea Goranson
Me the entire time I was reading this: ?????????????????????? (but in a good way, u feel me)
Anabel (inthebookcorner)
4.5

SOOOO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS. It was everything I wanted and more.
Kiki
*choking noises*
Lisa Johnson
"I never taught him to break his thumb."
"That's Gansey for you. Only learns enough to be superficially competent."
"Loser," Ronan agreed, and he was himself again.

-- 4,5 stars --

90% of the reason I liked this book so much was the characters; Gansey with his words simultaneously being his strength and weakness, Adam combining pride and being selfless and Ronan being honest because he has lost interest in sugarcoating things to make other people feel better about them.
I don't feel like I have learn
Ariel
Review (both on Goodreads and YouTube) coming soon.. I just need to gather my thoughts. Basically, AHHHHHHHH. CANT WAIT TO READ BOOK #2 SUPER SOON. THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE FANDOM. AHHH.
Rachel
Initial Thoughts: Mind = Blown. This book was so different and much better than I'd thought it would be! I loved the characters and the plot and the writing and everything.

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

There are certain books that basically everyone loves. The mere mention of the book sends people into a gushing session. The Raven Boys is one of those books, and I can honestly say that it deserves all the gushes and the praise.

I love the premise of this story. There's a little
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine, #1)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
  • The Dark Unwinding (The Dark Unwinding, #1)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • The Brides of Rollrock Island
  • Jackaby (Jackaby, #1)
  • The Blood Keeper (The Blood Journals, #2)
  • Night Beach
  • Carnival of Secrets (Untamed City, #1)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Eternally Yours (Immortal Beloved, #3)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Raven Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) The Scorpio Races The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)

“My words are unerring tools of
destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”
791 likes
“Gansey had once told Adam that he was afraid most people didn't know how to handle Ronan. What he meant by this was that he was worried that one day someone would fall on Ronan and cut themselves.” 505 likes