Start by marking “The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  94,410 Ratings  ·  12,386 Reviews
"'There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve,' Neeve said. 'Either you're his true love...or you killed him.'"

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them — not until this year, when a boy emerges fro
Published July 30th 2013 by Scholastic Inc. (first published September 1st 2012)

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
    The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
    Release date: Sep 18, 2012
    Enter now for a chance to win one of 50 copies of The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater!

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother a

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 8347 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 01 - Mar 02, 2016

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Boys, please sign up.

Mawkingbird Not at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the…moreNot at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the main characters, and the female protagonist is not a passive one at all. She gets things done, has her own opinions, and while she does have some feelings regarding 'love', the focus is not at all on that.(less)

Emily May
    Quirky loner girl meets privileged rich boy(s). Forbidden love and angst ensue.

I seem to have this habit. For the past couple of years, I've mostly been deliberately avoiding paranormal YA from authors I don't already love. The genre is a hard sell for me, filled with tropes that lead to low ratings and irritated reviews. But really, what tends to happen is this: the first book comes out and I avoid it, look the other way as other bloggers get excited and fangirl over the upcoming sequel.

Then t
    Wendy Darling
    On a cold night every spring, sixteen-year-old Blue and her psychic mother wait in a churchyard for the dead to arrive. Her mother is usually the one who sees the spirits of people who will die within the next twelve months, but this year, Blue herself is startled by the sad, desperate sight of a boy named Gansey falling to his knees before her.

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

With those chilling
    Raeleen Lemay
    May 12, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: own
    OK. SO THIS BOOK WAS PRETTY GREAT.

The book was very slow-moving for the first half or so, but I always found myself drawn in by the beautiful writing and the fabulous characters. This story is first and foremost about the characters, and I completely adored the friendship between the boys, and between Blue and the boys later on. Going into this, I thought it was going to be told solely from Blue's POV, and I am so glad that it wasn't. Getting to know the boys before they got to know Blue was a r
    Lola
    The only character that I liked was Ronan. Which is... very ironic.

It might be time for Maggie Stiefvater and I to part ways.

Truly, there's nothing actually ''wrong'' with her style; it simply does not appeal to me. But, this was the kind of story that I would feel would be read in a better way if written at the 1st person POV instead of 3rd. There was this possibility to feel connected to the protagonists... but a slim and invisible barrier seemed to block that connection every time. Even Ronan
    Riley
    Nov 03, 2015 Riley rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    Easily the best book I've read all year.

I've never read a book before where I love every single character equally.
    Blue: she is everything i aspire to be and i just want to be bffs with her
    Gansey: yes plz
    Ronan: he's so scary and angry but you just know he secretly loves to watch cute cat videos
    Adam: he must be wrapped in a warm blanket and protected at all costs
    Noah: my precious cinnamon bun
    Clau R.
    Jan 17, 2016 Clau R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: cover-love, 2016
    Todo el libro me gustó muchísimo... con excepción de los últimos capítulos. Me confundieron bastante, pero no sólo eso... el "conflicto final" no me emocionó nada, lo sentí flojo.

PERO en sí me gustaron bastante los personajes y claro que seguiré leyendo la saga. La historia me parece original y muy mística, tiene ese aire mágico que me encanta leer.
    Mitch
    Mar 11, 2014 Mitch rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 4-star-favorites
    Up until the very end, I was so sure The Raven Boys would be making an appearance on my top favorites list. Maggie Stiefvater’s latest book has everything I want from a great reading experience, a complex narrative, an intriguing and highly developed cast of characters, an utterly haunting style of writing that just blew me away from the first sentence recounting a dire prophecy. Sadly, my enthusiasm dampened somewhat once I sensed Stiefvater was trying a bit too hard to set up a new series, lea ...more
    Maxwell
    Aug 29, 2015 Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2015
    Do I need to even explain myself? No? Well, I will anyway.

This book has it all:

The best characters.
    Maggie (I feel like we're on a first name basis) doesn't neglect developing any of the characters. Whether they show up for one scene or are a main character, they are real, fleshed-out people. I have a hard time believing Blue and the Raven Boys aren't walking around somewhere in Virginia right now on their search.

Perfect writing.
    It's almost frightening how accurately the writing fits the mood of
    Regan
    Dec 13, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: books-owned-read
    4.5

Really really liked this!
    Navessa

This book is why I give authors second, third, and sometimes even fourth chances (*cough* Colleen Hoover *cough*). Because while I might not enjoy one book they wrote, I like to think that doesn't mean I'll hate everything they publish.

Take Stiefvater. I tried to read Shiver a while back, and my review for it is literally just this gif:

This book is also why I believe in mood reading. I picked it up a while ago and got about 50 pages in before setting it aside. The opening is...not strong. I me
    Kassidy
    Nov 03, 2015 Kassidy rated it really liked it
    Shelves: books-i-own
    Beautifully written, the characters are wonderful!
    I just wish it didn't take me so long to read it.
    Cait Grace
    SO THIS IS A RE-READ BECAUSE I'M 100000% OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK. But I'm also an idiot and lost my original review. Let me cryyyyy. I desperately wanted to compare my then and now thoughts. AGHHH, CAIT. FIRE YOUR STUPID BRAIN. I'll just blame it on the fact that I am too insanely besotted with this book to be thinking clearly. #legit

Okay so....hm...how do I put it? MAGGIE STIEFVATER IS MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR OF EVER. It's hard to explain all the reasons why, but her writing always just MESHES with
    Maureen
    Apr 16, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I can't begin to tell you how much I loved this book. THE HYPE WAS REAL AND IT LIVED UP TO IT. The characters, plot, and writing were all phenomenal, and I'm so excited to read the rest of the series!
    April
    Jan 25, 2016 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favourites, 2015
    4.5 stars - I LOVED THIS! There's something stopping me from giving it 5 stars, but I was SO intrigued throughout the entire book and I thought it was all really exciting! I can't wait to see what happens next!
    Whitney Atkinson
    May 26, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    Zoë (readbyzoe)
    Apr 23, 2015 Zoë (readbyzoe) rated it really liked it
    Book 34/100 of 2015

I really enjoyed this! I came into this book not knowing anything about the plot, just that there were some weirdly named kids and something about ravens. It was a little difficult to get into as I had no idea where the plot would go and it was just overall pretty slow. However, halfway through it really picked up and surprised me! I will definitely be picking up the next book sometime in the near future.
    Sanaa
    Aug 07, 2015 Sanaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2015-read
    [4.5 Stars] Well, wasn't that a strange book? This book wasn't what I expected. I've only read one other Stiefvater book, and that was the Scorpio Races. I adore that book, especially the writing, so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed when it came to that. I didn't however, expect this to be so incredibly mysterious and magical and just flat out strange. The Scorpio Races is quite linear and this book is pretty much the opposite.

The Raven Boys is slow and languorous and dramatic and sleepy. The c
    Lainey
    Feb 10, 2016 Lainey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Video Review: Coming soon, will update when that's live.

Ok. So maybe you can relate to this or not, but you know when you raged the night before and then you woke up the next morning and you have this stream of consciousness that goes a little like this:
    1. Where am I?
    2. I'm in my bed, good.
    3. Wait, how did I get here?
    4. What's going on?

Well, that's how I felt the majority of this book. I would be in the middle of the paragraph and think, "how did I get here?" Honestly, the writing and the pacing
    Anna
    Sep 30, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: my-bookshelf, 2012
    That is the BEST last line I have read in a while.

This book is strange and magical and also gritty at times, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Well, anyone who likes strange.
    Giselle
    Sep 18, 2012 Giselle rated it liked it
    Shelves: arc, own, paranormal
    The synopsis for The Raven Boys is what first attracted me to this novel. A girl from a clairvoyant family who sees her first "soon-to-be-dead" ghost, the ghost of a boy who is currently a high school student, the ghost of a boy who she can't fall in love with. Because she's pretty sure what kills him is their first kiss. I know! This sounds exactly like a book for me. I was highly intrigued by this premise and especially excited by all the wonderful reviews it has gotten thus far, but I soon ca ...more
    Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
    What a pleasant surprise! The writing, the characterization, the plot.. just all on point! I went in not really thinking I would enjoy it as much as everyone else does but I really loved it! I need to get my hands on the next book ASAP!
    Aly∞
    Jul 25, 2015 Aly∞ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    AFTER REREAD:

[ source ]

After a third reread, I have to admit that the things that bothered me the first time, barely annoyed me. I'm falling hard for all the raven boys and even Blue's quirkiness has become sort of endearing rather than a pain in the ass.

At one store, Gansey had started to pay for
    Mpauli

and ravens blend.

Also available as vid
    Lotte
    Nov 12, 2015 Lotte rated it it was amazing
    * 4.5/5 stars! The most unique YA book I've ever read. Highly recommend it! I cannot wait to see what Blue and the raven boys are up to next.
    Elisabeth
    I'm so confused...
    I need book two! Stiefvater you've ruined my life!!
    Mikee Andrea Quiambao
    ******************** 4.5 STARS ********************

Before I start this off, I want to thank my fellow bookworms for making this reading experience 100x more entertaining with all the added hints and fun commentary. You guys definitely kept me on my toes the whole time reading this book. <3

I can't even begin to count how many times I've passed this series up. I read the synopsis and I wasn't really wowed or blown away by it. And I just found it so unnoteworthy that I would always have to read
    Chelsea
    *re-read December 2015*

This series is so precious. The characters are very relatable and I love each one to bits. At first, I didn't love Gansey. Don't get me wrong, I really liked him, but I loved the others more. While I was reading this for the second time, I realised more what a good human being he is. He is the best friend you could ever wish for. I wish we got more Noah and Ronan in this book (or series in general) though.

There's quite a lot of foreshadowing (which you don't realise at fir
    Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・
    description

“She recognized the strange happiness that came from loving something without knowing why you did, that strange happiness that was sometimes so big that it felt like sadness. It was the way she felt when she looked at the stars.”

Blurb: Blue has spent the majority of her sixteen years being told that if she kisses her true love, he will die. When Blue meets Gansey’s spirit on the corpse road she knows there is only one reason why – either he is her true love or she has killed him.
    Determined to
    Catie
    Mar 15, 2013 Catie rated it liked it
    Shelves: audio
    2 1/2 stars

When I first started this book many months ago, it fell right into not one, but TWO of my worst book dealbreakers. To quote myself from six months ago (because we all know how much I love to do that):

“Forbidden Love + YA

= No. I just can’t handle it anymore. I can’t handle whatever crazy-ass excuse (different classes, different species, he’s a murderer, he’s a sociopath, he’s a stalker but he’s oh so HOT anyway…) will be used to keep the love interests apart. And even MORE than that, I
    Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
    Just finished re-reading this and it was even more wonderful the second time. I loved it the first time I read it, but I was confused by a few things ... and reading it a second time it was way less confusing, I think because I already knew what all the major plot twists were and whatnot. Anyway ... now I'm going to re-read the second one in anticipation of the third one coming out soon-ish.

I plan to write a new review of this eventually, but my old review is under the spoiler below.

(view spoi
    All the Books!: The Raven Cycle Series by Maggie Stiefvater 22 22 Jan 31, 2016 12:45PM
    Around the Year i...: The Raven Boys, by Maggie Stiefvater 1 18 Dec 31, 2015 09:52PM
    the book eaters: * November BOTM 1 3 Dec 08, 2015 05:16AM
    ignite the books: November - The Raven Boys 12 25 Dec 01, 2015 11:34PM
    • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
    • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
    • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
    • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
    • Lips Touch: Three Times
    • The Dark Unwinding (The Dark Unwinding, #1)
    • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
    • Paper Valentine
    • Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
    • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
    • Spark (Elemental, #2)
    • The Brides of Rollrock Island
    • Carnival of Secrets (Untamed City, #1)
    • Midwinterblood
    • The Blood Keeper (The Blood Journals, #2)
    • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
    • Rotters
    New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
    More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Raven Cycle (4 books)
    • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
    • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
    • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

“My words are unerring tools of
    destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”
    1043 likes
    “Gansey had once told Adam that he was afraid most people didn't know how to handle Ronan. What he meant by this was that he was worried that one day someone would fall on Ronan and cut themselves.” 655 likes