Start by marking “The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  122,898 Ratings  ·  16,258 Reviews
"'There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve,' Neeve said. 'Either you're his true love...or you killed him.'"

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them — not until this year, when a boy emerges fro
Published July 30th 2013 by Scholastic Inc. (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Boys, please sign up.

Mawkingbird Not at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the…moreNot at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the main characters, and the female protagonist is not a passive one at all. She gets things done, has her own opinions, and while she does have some feelings regarding 'love', the focus is not at all on that.(less)

Emily May
Quirky loner girl meets privileged rich boy(s). Forbidden love and angst ensue.

I seem to have this habit. For the past couple of years, I've mostly been deliberately avoiding paranormal YA from authors I don't already love. The genre is a hard sell for me, filled with tropes that lead to low ratings and irritated reviews. But really, what tends to happen is this: the first book comes out and I avoid it, look the other way as other bloggers get excited and fangirl over the upcoming sequel.

Then t
Natalie
Jul 16, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“She wasn’t interested in telling other people’s futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

I went into this book expecting to hate it, but I was truly surprised by it— right from page 1.
I read the prologue before I went to bed and I had to convince myself to put it down because I knew if I wouldn’t, I’d be extremely sleep deprived the next morning. It was so good.
And it was constantly on my mind the next morning, I kept thinking about that fat
Wendy Darling
On a cold night every spring, sixteen-year-old Blue and her psychic mother wait in a churchyard for the dead to arrive. Her mother is usually the one who sees the spirits of people who will die within the next twelve months, but this year, Blue herself is startled by the sad, desperate sight of a boy named Gansey falling to his knees before her.

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

With those chilling
Lola  Reviewer
The only character I like is Ronan. Which is... very ironic.

It might be time for Maggie Stiefvater and I to part ways.

Truly, there's nothing actually ''wrong'' with her style; it simply does not appeal to me. But this is the kind of story that I feel would be read in a better way if written in the 1st person point of view instead of 3rd. There is this possibility to feel connected to the protagonists... but a slim and invisible barrier seems to continuously block that connection. Even for Ronan.
Raeleen Lemay
May 12, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
OK. SO THIS BOOK WAS PRETTY GREAT.

The book was very slow-moving for the first half or so, but I always found myself drawn in by the beautiful writing and the fabulous characters. This story is first and foremost about the characters, and I completely adored the friendship between the boys, and between Blue and the boys later on. Going into this, I thought it was going to be told solely from Blue's POV, and I am so glad that it wasn't. Getting to know the boys before they got to know Blue was a r
Maureen
Apr 12, 2016 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't begin to tell you how much I loved this book. THE HYPE WAS REAL AND IT LIVED UP TO IT. The characters, plot, and writing were all phenomenal, and I'm so excited to read the rest of the series!

Reread March 24-April 12th in preparation for THE RAVEN KING!

This book is so wonderful on so many levels. I really loved listening to the audiobook this time around. I JUST LOVE BLUE AND THE BOYS AND THE PLOT AND THE WRITING AND EVERYTHING IS THE BEST.
Riley
Nov 03, 2015 Riley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Easily the best book I've read all year.

I've never read a book before where I love every single character equally.
Blue: she is everything i aspire to be and i just want to be bffs with her
Gansey: yes plz
Ronan: he's so scary and angry but you just know he secretly loves to watch cute cat videos
Adam: he must be wrapped in a warm blanket and protected at all costs
Noah: my precious cinnamon bun
Kat Stark

I will settle for a high three on this one.

I started this book a few months back. It took me so long to read it because after every 10 pages I was like BOOOORING *puts book down* ...a few days pass, start reading again *10 pages later, puts book down* DEAR SWEET BABY JESUS WHEN IS SOMETHING GOING TO HAPPEN. This was like worse then watching paint dry. I don't know when it started getting interesting, but I think it's because the characters started building on each other.

I may have absolutely hat
Katerina
Aug 13, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, favorites
“You're looking for a god. Didn't you suspect that there was also a devil?”

Instant new favorite!!

Psychics. Ghosts. Spirits. Sleeping kings. Legends. Enchanted forests. And a cursed romance. Maggie Stiefvater is an artist, ladies and gentlemen!

“Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.”

I was spellbound by this hauntingly beautiful paranormal tale since that very first sentence. Maggie Stiefvater narrates the story of how Blue Sargent met
Steph Sinclair
Apr 29, 2016 Steph Sinclair is currently reading it
Recommended to Steph by: Paul, Ameriie, Wendy Darling and a bunch of other people.
I'm finally submitting to peer pressure.
Clau R.
Jul 21, 2016 Clau R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-love, 2016, my-sons
Todo el libro me gustó muchísimo... con excepción de los últimos capítulos. Me confundieron bastante, pero no sólo eso... el "conflicto final" no me emocionó nada, lo sentí flojo.

PERO en sí me gustaron bastante los personajes y claro que seguiré leyendo la saga. La historia me parece original y muy mística, tiene ese aire mágico que me encanta leer.
Maxwell
Apr 28, 2016 Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2015
Do I need to even explain myself? No? Well, I will anyway.

This book has it all:

The best characters.
Maggie (I feel like we're on a first name basis) doesn't neglect developing any of the characters. Whether they show up for one scene or are a main character, they are real, fleshed-out people. I have a hard time believing Blue and the Raven Boys aren't walking around somewhere in Virginia right now on their search.

Perfect writing.
It's almost frightening how accurately the writing fits the mood of
Regan
Dec 13, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

Really really liked this!
Mitch
Mar 11, 2014 Mitch rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-favorites
Up until the very end, I was so sure The Raven Boys would be making an appearance on my top favorites list. Maggie Stiefvater’s latest book has everything I want from a great reading experience, a complex narrative, an intriguing and highly developed cast of characters, an utterly haunting style of writing that just blew me away from the first sentence recounting a dire prophecy. Sadly, my enthusiasm dampened somewhat once I sensed Stiefvater was trying a bit too hard to set up a new series, lea ...more
Navessa

This book is why I give authors second, third, and sometimes even fourth chances (*cough* Colleen Hoover *cough*). Because while I might not enjoy one book they wrote, I like to think that doesn't mean I'll hate everything they publish.

Take Stiefvater. I tried to read Shiver a while back, and my review for it is literally just this gif:

This book is also why I believe in mood reading. I picked it up a while ago and got about 50 pages in before setting it aside. The opening is...not strong. I me
Kassidy
Nov 03, 2015 Kassidy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Beautifully written, the characters are wonderful!
I just wish it didn't take me so long to read it.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

4.5 stars, one stunned face, one hundred facepalms, a dozen OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WROTE IT THEN AND I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE, one brilliant book.

"Ronan said, "I'm always straight."
Adam replied, "Oh, man, that's the biggest lie you've ever told."

Truth be told, I wasn't fully immerged in The Raven Boys when I first read it, and it took Ronan's amazingness in The Dream Thieves to make me fall in love with these boys and their strange quest.

Honestly, I didn't even want to give another chanc
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads

Urban Fantasy is a hugely popular genre, both adult and YA versions.

The majority of the world's inhabiting such books are as different, as other, as any of the worlds in a traditional fantasy, just more . . . modern.

There are cars and gas stations, cell phones, fast food chains . . . An infinite number of familiar things, yet, for various reasons, these alternate realities are still alien.

Occasionally, you find one that isn't.

The author so vividly captures the world in which you live
Cait (Paper Fury)
SO THIS IS A RE-READ BECAUSE I'M 100000% OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK. But I'm also an idiot and lost my original review. Let me cryyyyy. I desperately wanted to compare my then and now thoughts. AGHHH, CAIT. FIRE YOUR STUPID BRAIN. I'll just blame it on the fact that I am too insanely besotted with this book to be thinking clearly. #legit

Okay so....hm...how do I put it? MAGGIE STIEFVATER IS MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR OF EVER. It's hard to explain all the reasons why, but her writing always just MESHES with
Cait • A Page With a View
This book definitely took me some time to get into and I wasn't sure exactly what to make of it at first, but I ended up LOVING the characters so much by the end!

I don't even know how to explain this story, but here are some basics: Blue lives with a family of psychic women in a cramped, eclectic house that's described super vividly. On St. Mark's Eve she sees the ghost or whatever of a boy named Gansey who's going to die within the coming year. She's told that she can see him because either he
Lainey
Feb 10, 2016 Lainey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Video Review: Coming soon, will update when that's live.

Ok. So maybe you can relate to this or not, but you know when you raged the night before and then you woke up the next morning and you have this stream of consciousness that goes a little like this:
1. Where am I?
2. I'm in my bed, good.
3. Wait, how did I get here?
4. What's going on?

Well, that's how I felt the majority of this book. I would be in the middle of the paragraph and think, "how did I get here?" Honestly, the writing and the pacing
Christine Delilah (Maramochabooks)
"What she wanted was to see something no one else could see or would see, and maybe that was asking for more magic than there was in the world."

"They filled the hallway to overflowing, somehow, the three of them, loud and male and so comfortable with one another that they allowed no one else to be comfortable with them. They were a pack of sleek animals armored with their watches and their Top-Siders and the expensive cut of their uniforms. Even the sharp boy's tattoo, cutting up the knobs
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve, Blue. Either you’re his true love or you killed him.”

In Blue's case it's both. Because fate is a bitch tricky little thing.

I don't know how to put into words how much this book, this series, means to me. It's one of those stories that leaves you breathless. That leaves you wanting to unrepentantly commit the act of verbal diarrhea and a sway anyone with an ear to read this book. But at the same it, it makes you want
Renata
Apr 24, 2016 Renata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro FUE MUY OMG Y LA HISTORIA Y LOS PERSONAJES Y LA ORIGINALIDAD Y OH MY GOD LITERAL JGKSDGFDJKGDFVFDJAKLGSHGJDFKLGSDJFHD. Bueno, intentaré escribir algo coherente. No sabía que esperar de este libro, la portada me enamoró (por que seamos sinceros, las portadas de esta saga son increíbles) y había leído que la trama era original pero no esperaba algo así. Para nada. Y me enamoré, muchísimo, demasiado, kgjdfgjdsf.

En un principio me gustaba y pensaba que estaba genial y tal pero a partir d
Zoë
Apr 23, 2015 Zoë rated it really liked it
Book 34/100 of 2015

I really enjoyed this! I came into this book not knowing anything about the plot, just that there were some weirdly named kids and something about ravens. It was a little difficult to get into as I had no idea where the plot would go and it was just overall pretty slow. However, halfway through it really picked up and surprised me! I will definitely be picking up the next book sometime in the near future.
Andreea Pop
“Keep being brave.”

Unique, eerie, compelling and magical. These are the attributes that perfectly describe The Raven Boys. But perhaps I am redundant in my words due to the fact I am a few years late to the hype and all I could say has been already said. Rest assured though, I'll keep my fangirling to a minimum. I do have a series to finish.

The story in this book is the epitome of weeeeird. Strange and otherworldly. Original and enthralling nonetheless. I mean -- ley lines and Welsh hidden ki
ravngirl // 6:21

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED.

“But the problem with being weird was that everyone else was normal.”

Alright, guys. I stand corrected. (Actually, I sit corrected. But whatever.)

I have been so very wrong. I have been wrong from top to bottom, left to right, my wrongness splashing everywhere like a Pollock painting.

The Raven Boys was actually more than a few notches above painless, which makes it about a hundred times better than anything I’ve expected.

It’s not that I’m surprised, exactly. It is just t
April
Jan 25, 2016 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, 2015
4.5 stars - I LOVED THIS! There's something stopping me from giving it 5 stars, but I was SO intrigued throughout the entire book and I thought it was all really exciting! I can't wait to see what happens next!
Whitney Atkinson
May 26, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ryan (The High-functioning Fangirl)
4.5/5 stars

"Fortunate is the soul who finds the king and is brave enough to call him to wakefulness, for the king will grant him a favour, as wondrous as can be imagined by a mortal man."

description

Let me get this out of the way: I'm not even going to pretend that this is a review. This is a long, fangirly, incoherent mess of my thoughts, that may contain minor spoilers. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Dear Raven Boys:

description

The Raven Boys has been on my TBR for a very long time, until Zaira and Kainat (who I am
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
  • Carnival of Secrets (Untamed City, #1)
  • The Strange Maid (The United States of Asgard, #2)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
  • Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1)
  • Rotters
  • The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Raven Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

“My words are unerring tools of
destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”
1359 likes
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.” 879 likes