Start by marking “The Anatomy of Murder” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Anatomy of Murder

The Detection Club

The Anatomy of Murder

Seven famous murders explored in essays by Detection Club members Helen de Guerry Simpson, Margaret Cole, Dorothy L. Sayers, John Rhode, E.R. Punshon, Francis Iles, and Freeman Wills Crofts
Published 1937 by The Macmillan Company

To ask other readers questions about The Anatomy of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anatomy of Murder

Diane
Jan 18, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, true-crime
"The Detection Club" (founded in 1930) was a group of mostly (but not exclusively) British mystery writers. The club was largely the brainchild of Anthony Berkeley (a/k/a Francis Iles). He wanted to create a network of the leading mystery novelists of his day. The club included Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, John Dickson Carr (a/k/a Carter Dickson), G. K. Chesterton, and Freeman Wills Crofts. The Club funded its dinners and pay for the rent of their club building through "round robin" myste ...more
Damaskcat
May 06, 2017 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of essays covering seven crimes - all baffling in some way or another - written by seven of the Golden Age of crime writers including Dorothy L Sayers. One case is from Australia, one from New Zealand and one from France and the rest from the UK. I was particularly interested in the Wallace case as I haven't read much about it before and Dorothy L Sayers clearly went into it in some detail.

The Rattenbury case was totally unknown to me and while I didn't particularly apprecia
Jules Goud
Not what I was expecting.

This book was a little bit hard to read because it was a book of essays. And, I didn't realize that.

Some of it was interesting, and some of it was slow. It was an interesting idea to have authors comment on real life crimes. The points that they raised were pretty good ones and it was cool to see how the processed the evidence and their take of the criminals that performed the crimes.

But, I didn't realize that it was a book of essays, and so, it was pretty hard to read.
Rog Harrison
I had thought this was a novel but it is actually seven essays about real murder trials by members of the Detection Club first published in 1936. For me some of the cases were not that interesting to start with and certainly I found some of the transcripts from the trials boring. So it took me a couple of weeks to get through this whereas I usually read a novel within a couple of days.

I probably enjoyed the essays by ER Punshon and Dorothy L Sayers the most. Francis Iles (Anthony Berkeley Cox) w
Rachel
As you might expect the stories are told in a procedural way, but a good read nevertheless. I enjoyed the concept of true crime told by authors of fiction, it certainly helped with the flow of the individual plots.

However if you like your crime novels to have the story tied up in a bow, this isn't for you; as this is true crime, the story can only be told with the information available, which does leave a lot of room for uncertainty.
Helen
Oct 23, 2016 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very interesting and different to see these crime writer giants commenting on real life cases instead of inventing their own. My favourite section was the one by Francis Iles, I just love his perceptive and sardonic style and he is certainly the master of the understatement.
Swathi Singh
Swathi Singh rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Stephen Collins
Stephen Collins rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2016
Dr K M Lifsey
Dr K M Lifsey rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Anker
Anker rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Rosemary Orme
Rosemary Orme rated it it was ok
May 28, 2015
Catherine CB
Catherine CB rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Pip
Pip rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Anya Ameen
Anya Ameen rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Lanea
Lanea rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2016
Emily Cook
Emily Cook rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2016
Soltaniuc Elena
Soltaniuc Elena rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Malini
Malini rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Meaghen
Meaghen rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Flora Robison
Flora Robison rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
David McDonnell
David McDonnell rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2017
Karan Saxena
Karan Saxena rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Myeongeun Kim
Myeongeun Kim rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Miranda
Miranda rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Helen Smith
Helen Smith rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Thomas Clements
Thomas Clements rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Pinky Anderson
Pinky Anderson rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2013
Ban
Ban rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
The 1931 newly formed Detection Club members wrote one chapter each, one the prologue, and another a close for The Floating Admiral, and all devised solutions included in final publication. Authors then: Anthony Berkeley, G.K. Chesterton, Agatha Christie, G.D.H. Cole, Margaret Cole, Freeman Wills Croft, Clemence Dane , Edgar Jepson, Milward Kennedy, Ronald Knox, John Rhode, Dorothy L. Sayers, Henr ...more
More about The Detection Club...