Start by marking “The Anathema (The Central, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Anathema (The Central, #2)

The Anathema (The Central #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,033 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
It sounds like a Spring Break out of a dream – a lush island, perfect beaches, and the company of a beautiful girl. But for Alex Warner, things are never that simple. After all, his host for spring break is no other than the tyrannical future head of the Black Sun, Anastasia Martynova. And while Emily Muir is indeed beguiling, she could end up costing him both his freedom ...more
Published January 31st 2012 by ROUS Industries

To ask other readers questions about The Anathema, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anathema

Timmy
May 17, 2012 Timmy rated it really liked it
Nobody's perfect and the Central Series goes to great lengths to show it. There are no totally heroic characters, and you often times find yourself rooting for sadistic individuals in the story. In the second book, the main character Alex is finally starting to adjust to his new life at the Academy and showing some actual progress. the character continues to grow even as all hell breaks loose around him. The true enemy emerges and Alex Warner may not have been their only target.

This story far ou
Chloe
Feb 06, 2012 Chloe rated it it was amazing
I read the first book, The Academy, and really enjoyed it so I was excited to see that the second one in the series was already out. I liked this one even more! The characters are really developing in unexpected ways. Some of my questions from the first book were answered in this one, but others were left to the imagination, hopefully Rawlins will address some of them in the following books. I felt like this second book was better written, and that Rawlins is really getting into a pace with this ...more
Alexander Lesbott
Nov 10, 2014 Alexander Lesbott rated it it was amazing
Why I love this series

I have the same first name as the main character & I may also be able to freeze your brain, given enough time.
I feel like me and him have the same luck with girls. This series gets better and better. Lovable characters and exciting action, where's the next book.
Mark
Sep 07, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
While The Academy had me torn on the rating, The Anathema does not. This is a three star book that could have been better. I don't know if it's the lack of a good editor or just a personal style that I don't quite get but the disjointed story telling that was present in the first book became more prevalent in this one. However the overall writing improved and some of the issues that had me torn on Academy got better here. The overall magic system and the world, in general, got some more backgrou ...more
Bryan Zepp
Jun 21, 2015 Bryan Zepp rated it really liked it
Good book lots of action and sadly a couple of friends were lost in this book. Still there are no answers given as to why Alex was attacked and modified before ever getting to The Academy. After getting all the way to the end I was a little disappointed that I learned virtually nothing more about Alex. There are however an introduction to Eerie's other self or personality, yet as convoluted as her and Alex's love story goes you learn a tiny bit more about her and her abilities.

I had hoped that
Christopher
Jun 13, 2012 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 4-0-plus
By my count, there are about twice as many female main characters than male characters in this series. They all have superpowers, and the male lead has close relationships and emotional entanglements with at least four of them. On that basis, I gradually started to get more of a harem manga / magical girl vibe from the series than I do an urban fantasy feel, although it's that too.

Anyway, these books are a lot of fun, even if they're a bit uneven compositionally. The scene transitions give me a
Mike
Mar 13, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first book! Since the rules and characters were previously established this volume starts off quickly and just doesn't quick. Some of the characters that we have grown to love make choices that but them on the wrong side of this fight, some I grew to love even more (Rebecca, Michael), and somehow Rawlins has the power to make us root for psychotic characters like Alice Gallow as she fights, maims, and tortures her way through a gauntlet of adversaries.

In this volume the work
Taurec
Feb 03, 2016 Taurec rated it liked it
The existing characters were developed and new interesting characters were introduced. The growth of Alex was visible, though he remained quite angsty. In this book particularly i noticed the villains monologueing too often, which i didn't like.

This time, the plot was easier to difficult to follow with less POVs, but contained some actions scenes i found superfluous.

The writing was again clear and descriptive. Some aspects of the world building were described but not in great detail (i.e. differ
E Hempel
Jan 31, 2015 E Hempel rated it really liked it
Compelling dark story line

I really enjoyed Rawlins' second book in this series. His complex dark and twisted characters lead you through the most human of traits and complex emotions - of the adolescent main characters but also the entire alternate world that has been weaved. On its surface the story line is a bit maddening with all of these adolescent girls competing for the affection and attention of this one charismatic and mysterious boy. But on a closer examination it brings out complex soc
Tim Hart
Jul 18, 2013 Tim Hart rated it really liked it
A very nice follow up to the first book. Alex is still pretty clueless, although his life has become much more complicated. There is danger, there is lust and there is Alex, oblivious to everything.

Just read it and enjoy. Once again, the editing is horrible, not so bad that you can't understand it, but bad enough that sometimes you have to reread a sentence or paragraph and decode it.

I will read the next one, if it ever comes out.
Paul
Aug 19, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Well the second book, was a better effort, and things are moving better than I expected. I don't want to say too much a spoil the book for future readers, lets me just say its a good book, with a great lead in to the next book, lots of plots and subplots with people coming into the picture as they grow more and more important.
A great sequal to a fresh idea by Rawlins.
Liquid Frost
May 16, 2014 Liquid Frost rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Book two was more entertaining since characters were fairly developed and we could jump into some action. The premise was good but I found myself skimming, which isn't a good sign. I"m writting this real quick as I just reviewed book 3 - so I will say that I did enjoy books 1-3 (4 and 5 not released yet).
Luis
Mar 26, 2012 Luis rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a little more than the predecessor putting it at a solid four. The only issue that I had with this book was that I really don't enjoy Anastasia's character that much. I love Erie though, and am really looking forward to her character development. I think Alex is growing...slowly, but there is growth and I'm curious to see what will come of Emily down the line.
Damgaard78
Feb 23, 2012 Damgaard78 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Good followup to a great series. Corrects some of the small flaws in the first book and gives a lot more substance to some of the characters.
Book 2 of 5. It does end its subhistory, but 2015 is a long time away to get the rest of the story that can be seen already is plotted out to a degree in the head of the author.
M.L.
Jan 01, 2016 M.L. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a much better book than the first one. The protagonist is still an agent-less nobody, but at least the other characters have managed to pick up the slack in terms of plot advancement and character development.
Mnoraznan
May 19, 2014 Mnoraznan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A definite thrill-ride, with interesting characters and heart-pounding action!
Fred
Jun 03, 2012 Fred rated it it was ok
Still think this series could have been so much better. The potential is there. Some scenes just fall flat from sloppy storytelling.

Lilibeth Legrand
Feb 21, 2015 Lilibeth Legrand rated it really liked it
better than the first

I liked this book much better than the first. Can't wait to read the 3rd. Still a lot of unanswered questions.
George
Oct 07, 2012 George rated it liked it
Pretty good. The ending felt rushed and unclear but a good middle book in the series. I will read the next one.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I had such an amazing time reading this. Review tomorrow.
Gwen
Sep 27, 2014 Gwen rated it really liked it
This book is better than the first. Nothing particularly fancy or high-brow. But it's a "rollicking good time" as they say. I enjoyed it, and it's a fast read.
Riley Nelson
Riley Nelson rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2017
Nicholas Pennington
Nicholas Pennington rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
The Moops
The Moops rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Lauren Kirsch
Lauren Kirsch rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Anant Pal
Anant Pal rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Jolin
Jolin rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Dominique Brieger
Dominique Brieger rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2017
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Echoes of the Past (Demon Squad, #4)
  • Shift (The Protector, #2)
  • The Changing (Blood and Brotherhood, #3)
  • Counselor (The Young Ancients, #5)
  • Dread Nemesis of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #4)
  • Battle of Dignity (Martial God Asura, #1)
  • Psion Delta (Psion, #3)
  • The Veil: Corruption (Hasea Chronicles #2)
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • She Who Has No Name (Legacy, #2)
  • The SteelMaster of Indwallin (The Gods Within, #2)
  • The Road to Magic (Дорога демона, #1)
Zachary Rawlins lives in Oakland, California, with his amazing wife Chloe and his genius Corgi, Ein. During the day, he works in the Environmental industry. In his free time, he enjoys hiking, comic books, urban exploring, and writing. To date, much of his work has been in two novel series, as well as a variety of other side projects.

The Central Series spans five volumes, concerning the remarkable
More about Zachary Rawlins...

The Central (5 books)
  • The Academy (The Central, #1)
  • The Far Shores (The Central, #3)
  • The Outer Dark (Central, #4)
  • The Church of Sleep (Central, #5)