Start by marking “Running Wild (Northern Shifters, #4)” as Want to Read:
Running Wild (Northern Shifters, #4)

Running Wild (Northern Shifters #4)

"The road to believing can be one wild ride. "

A "Northern Shifters" Book

Seamus O Connor thought his friendship with Zachariah Smithson was just that a relationship born on one horrific night seven years ago. He never thought he d end up inheriting the old man s farm.

Tons of chores and hard work are nothing new for Seamus. The farm comes equipped with all he needs and somet
Published June 19th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Running Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Wild

Mandapanda
May 01, 2012 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Joely Skye writes great m/m shifter romances. This one is very unusual in that it features a horse shifter. Ri is a fantastic character. Like his were nature he is skittish and flighty. It takes a lot for Seamus, the human who has inherited Ri's grandfathers farm, to tame him. Even when making love Ri shows a nervous, trembling passion which is quite special. It contrasts perfectly with Seamus's calm, determined approach. These two guys are a perfect match. I'm hoping we'll see a story about Ri' ...more
Ami
Jun 19, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
The last Shifter book from Joely Skye that I read was Wolf Town back in 2010 and I didn't like it. So I decided not to continue that series. However, when I found out that this was part of the Shifter series instead (after Marked, Feral, Lynx), I decided to give it a try since I love that one.

It feels SO GOOD to have a different animal as shifter. Zachariah III or "Ri" is a horse-shifter. I find Ri to be such an interesting character. Ri feels like a wild horse, like it's in his nature to be ski
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Warning might be some minor spoilers.

In the prologue it's clearly said several times they got his backpack with his Wallet. All his money, his name and address. Then later it's said they spent a year tracking him by scent . A year were he had same name and lived in same place. So reading his address too easy? Have to spend a year sniffing him out?

This story is really slow. Like its on life support and just barely hanging on.

Half the book ri is a horse and nothing happens. Extremely boring and
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 26, 2012 Mandi Schreiner rated it liked it
After a disastrous coming out to his parents, Seamus O’Conner runs away. But as he is running through the woods, he is threatened by a group of guys. Confused as to what is going on, he becomes even more confused when a huge black stallion gallops up to him. The horse is very steady and eventually Seamus realizes the horse wants him to get on. Scared and confused, Seamus gets on the horse. Exhausted, Seamus comes to in a strange house. He meets an elderly man by the name of Zachariah. He encoura ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
There are books when you have to agree with both reviewers who rated it low and reviewers who rated it high, and I think this is one of those.

The best part is, in my opinion, the character of Ri, the horse shifter. It's an interesting departure from the usual cat and wolf shifters and I think the author was successful in showing how the traits of the animal, its wildness and skittishness (sorry, don't know if it's a legitimate word), transfer to Ri in his human form. Ri was really difficult to t
Hannah
Running Wild is a fast, easy read with likable characters and minimal plot. The fact that one of the protagonists is a horse shifter gives it a slightly unique feel, but in all other respects it is a standard shifter romance. There is a good bit of tension between various characters in the story, but at no time are they in much real physical danger. As a result, the ending feels a bit anticlimactic. I did like Joely Skye's writing style, though, so I might try some of her other shifter novels.
Jenre
Aug 08, 2012 Jenre rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, paranormal, romance
I really like these shifter books from Joely Skye. Her characters always draw me in and I quickly become engrossed in her books. This book was no exception. It begins when a runaway nineteen year old Seamus is rescued by a horse from dangerous men he encounters on the road. The horse brings him to an elderly man, Zachariah, who shows him a gruff kindness. Fast forward 8 years and Zachariah has left his farm to Seamus in his will. When Seamus arrives at the farm he meets the horse who rescued him ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5-4*
I enjoyed Ri, I liked that he was a horse shifter, something you don't read about much, if at all.
And Ri had a lot of horse characteristics while he was human, which added to the story, because lots of shifter stories have them acting totally human when not in shifted form and this one showed how the horse influenced a lot of Ri's behavior.
The 'romance' between Ri and Seamus developed very slowly and took a second place to the world building and slight mystery IMO.
Can't wait to see who the
Jaylee
Joely Skye's romances always center around one character being a complete mess, and the other one gently picking up the pieces and teaching them how to trust, how to feel safe, and how to accept love. It's like chapstick to my soul haha and I love reading them.
MLE
Mar 12, 2012 MLE rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-archive, mm
I liked reading about something other than a predatory shape shifter. It was interesting to see how the aspects of the horse's instincts influenced Ri, and I was very glad to see that while fighting is not his first response he isn't incapable of standing up for himself, and those he loves.
Nicole
Feb 26, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: review, m-m, read-in-2012
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/06/18/...

I love me some shifters, and when those shifters are m/m… Even better! Then, getting to read about a horse shifter – something I’d never heard of before – was like the icing on the cake.

Seamus ran away the night he told his parents he was gay, and found himself in more trouble than he ever expected. But a friendly wild horse and an old man save his life, in more ways than one. Now that Seamus is older, he finds that old man h
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Overall I liked the story mainly because it continued the shifter series that I really enjoyed. I liked it because Jonah and Trey from Lynx showed up and it was nice to see them. I liked it because I needed something pretty vanilla after the book I had read earlier in the day. But that's about it. Other than that, I found the story lacked chemistry between the MC's Ri, the horse shifter, and Seamus, the man who inherited Ri's grandfather's farm.

They kind of slipped into having sex together beca
Diane
Jul 03, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of shifter stories and this series features everything I love about them. While the third book (Lynx) remains my favorite, this installment is a quality read. In a good shifter story, you should be able to recognize the character's animal alter ego in their general personality and this trait is exemplified in our leading man. Ri is a horse shifter and he behaves like a wild horse. From his skittish nature to the fact that he's a vegetarian... Ri is one fine equine. And his human l ...more
Deanna Against Censorship
A horse shifter is unique. I have read many shifter stories but never one of a horse shifter. I was not sure I would like it. I did enjoy it. Ri (the Horse) is an intriguing character. He is skittish like a horse. He does not trust easily and his first instinct is to run. So horse.
Seamus is his rock although he had never been anyone's rock in the past. His past record with love is not good. His last love was Pete but that has ended, although Pete seems to want in contact. Seamus was saved by a
Courteney
Apr 22, 2013 Courteney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very surprised to read a book about a horse shifter. It is not very common at least in what I have come across and it was a really good book. It was a good adventure and I wouldn't mind hearing more about Seamus and Ri's. I loved the characters and I think Pete added a twist to the story in a good way but I was happy with how things turned out. Since I didn't read the first three books in the series as this is a new author discovery for me I am excited to go and read the first books in the ...more
Yvonne
Apr 07, 2012 Yvonne rated it really liked it
3.5 stars The other reviews have been pretty much on the mark with this one (See MandyM and Ami). It's great to read about something different in the shifter world, a skittish horse shifter, & I think the characterization of Ri was great. I love the dynamics between Seamus & Ri & I seem to always enjoy Joely Skye shifter world.

Still, it did peter out at the end & the conflict between the wolf shifters just fizzled. It does seem to set up a couple of characters for their own stor
Ije the Devourer of Books
I gave this 3 stars because unlike the earlier books in this series, this one just didn't grab me. For me the action didn't really start until I was about 70% through. It just felt as if the main part of the story and the tension and drama came very quickly at the end and that was that. Earlier books have had tension and some mystery and suspense from the very beginning. I do like this series though and I am a great fan of shifter stories so I will read the next one.
Jennifer Wright
Oct 10, 2012 Jennifer Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I give this book a 2.75
I think Running Wild had a good plot, just not so well executed - at least for my tastes. I felt like certain things - more like certain thoughts - were repeated way too much. Take out all the repeats and the story would be better - shorter - but better.
I will say that the last quarter of the book was good, the story flowed well and the plot was interesting.
Meggie
Jun 23, 2012 Meggie rated it liked it
The story was solid and enjoyable. But truthfully I don't really enjoy horse shifters compared to wolves. Seamus and Ri were a strange couple. I didn't feel connection between them, sure there was friendship, but somehow I didn't like them as a couple. At the end we never found out what happened to Zach.
Jen
I gave this an extra star for being original and not playing on some silly humor about being hung like a horse or something. I liked that Ri was totally lacking in social skills as that feels more realistic.
Chris
Jun 19, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Ok paranormal m/m romance about a college student who's rescued from some bad guys by a strange black horse, then left at an old man's farm, with his rescue seeming more like a dream... Besides a major plot hole (what, wolf shifters can't read, only sniff?), this seemed to drag a bit.
Manee
Aug 16, 2012 Manee rated it really liked it
A great addition to the Northern Shifter series, as it is a wonderful way to bring in to amazing and powerful characters -- snow leapord Jonah and lone Alpha Wolf Trey. Reading from the point of view of a horse shifter is great, fun and exciting.
The smut is definitely a 5/5.
Anne
Feb 19, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2014-bir
Really lovely story. Can't wait to read more from this author!
Kiki
Jun 19, 2012 Kiki rated it liked it
3.5
Charneen
Nov 20, 2012 Charneen rated it liked it
of all the books from this series this one i found lacking.
Meg
Jun 22, 2012 Meg rated it really liked it
I like this series a lot. This book however did not have the same suspense story as the others. So even though I stll liked it, not as much as the others in this series.
Heather♥
Jun 26, 2012 Heather♥ rated it liked it
Cyndy Aleo
Feb 24, 2013 Cyndy Aleo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for RT Book Reviews May 2013 issue: http://www.rtbookreviews.com/book-review/running-wild-3
Ashley♥Alexis
I didn't like this one as much as the others in the series. it didn't really seemed like it fit. I still enjoyed it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Silver/Steel (Arcada #4)
  • Unexpected Demands (Hidden Wolves, #2)
  • Broken Memories (In the Shadow of the Wolf, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Triad #4)
  • The Love of a Mate (Pack Discipline #4)
  • Blood in the Sand (Sanguis Noctis, #2)
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Bastet (Earth Warriors, #1)
  • Into the Woods
  • Finding Release (Wild R Farm, #1)
  • Taming the Bander (Solitary Shifters #1)
  • Hawaiian Gothic
  • Monkey Wrench (Were Menagerie, #2)
  • Bound By Nature (Forces of Nature, #1)
  • Midnight in Berlin
  • Touch of a Wolf
  • Gumption & Gumshoes
  • Without Secrets (With or Without, #4)
Joely Skye has written for more years than she can remember. Her latest writing passion is romance and shapeshifters. She lives with her husband and two children in Canada.

To learn more about Joely Skye, please visit www.joelyskye.com or her Yahoo Group.

She also writes as Jorrie Spencer (www.jorriespencer.com).

More about Joely Skye...

Northern Shifters (4 books)
  • Marked (Northern Shifters #1)
  • Feral (Northern Shifters, #2)
  • Lynx (Northern Shifters #3)