Start by marking “The Howling Trilogy ” as Want to Read:
The Howling Trilogy

The Howling Trilogy (The Howling Omnibus 1-3)

THE HOWLING:
Karyn and her husband Roy had come to the peaceful California village of Drago to escape the savagery of the city. On the surface Drago appeared to be like most small rural towns.
But it was not.
The village had a most unsavory history. Unexplained disappearances, sudden deaths.
People just vanished, never to be found.

THE HOWLING II:
For Karyn it was the howling.
Th
Published January 23rd 2012 by Books of the Dead Press

To ask other readers questions about The Howling Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Howling Trilogy

Kristin
Mar 10, 2016 Kristin rated it really liked it
Better Reading

I hadn't connected the dots at first. This was made into a movie in the early 80s. The books are definitely better. I truly enjoyed reading all three books. They're well paced and imaginative. The author easily takes the readers imagination on a very crazy ride with werewolves and the people trying to survive them!
Chibineko
Apr 03, 2014 Chibineko rated it liked it
This is a fairly good series, but I'll admit that it took me a while to really get through all three books. If you're someone who loves cheesy 70s horror fiction or just like the Howling movies, it's worth checking out. There are some slight spoilers here, enough to give a bit of a warning but nothing that would completely ruin the books.

In the first two books you can see Brandner's writing get a bit stronger and how the era influenced his writing. These two books were written during the late 70
J K
Aug 06, 2014 J K rated it liked it
Solid pulpy werewolf horror, loosely inspiring the film, has that odd style of narration where you're quickly introduced to a character shortly before they have sex and get their throat ripped out...compelling despite this, perfect light horror reading where werewolves are the bad guys, but sometimes people are a whole lot worse.

Also, the first two books are closely connected, but the third one appears to be from a sort of alternate universe based on movie events. The third one also mentions Cas
Mehmet
I brought this book on the kindle and my final thought on the trilogy mirrored my thoughts when the end credits of the movie started to roll. The ideas of a hidden werewolf community was a great idea, the actual story line though was very disappointing. The relationships in the story were very cliched and even sexist to a degree, although that might of been because of the year in was written, 1980s. The written style of the novels never caught me as it should. My favourite story was the 3rd one. ...more
Flint Macwood
Mar 21, 2012 Flint Macwood rated it it was amazing
Gary will always be one of the masters of the horror genre, and he knows how to write about werewolves!

Not only does his characters lead with realism, but you can't help but fall in love with them, and the terror tat he builds is remarkable.

I've had the pleasure of speaking with Gary a few times, and he is always a brilliant mastermind no matter what subject he's on.

The Howling was a story that I grew up on, in film and book. Gary was apart of my childhood classics, and one I hope others have, o
Robert
Jun 23, 2016 Robert rated it liked it
This is enjoyable. The premise is a little farfetched: a town of werewolves that absolutely no one know about. I was shocked to learn that these novels are the basis of The Howling movies, some of the cheesiest werewolf movies made.
Cathy
Feb 10, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, kindle
This werewolf trilogy doesn't really deserve three stars -- it's very poorly written. It has a certain harmless cheesy retro charm, though. The Howling in particular reads better if you can put aside your memories of the much cleverer movie.
11811 (Eleven)
Close to 4 stars for book III. You can see Brandner improve as a writer over the 10 years or whatever it was that he produced this trilogy. I enjoyed them all but had to break them up a bit; reading all three in a row was giving me Brandner burnout but I did enjoy the entire trilogy.
Manosthehandsoffate
Jan 04, 2016 Manosthehandsoffate rated it really liked it
Brandner is a competent writer and all three Howling books were enjoyable, schlocky werewolf tales. The first two were quite short and plotted tightly. The third was a bit long and felt like it had two endings.
Craig Hall jr
Apr 02, 2013 Craig Hall jr rated it really liked it
i love the first two Books the third is okay. i highly recommend this books to all horror fans. werewolves are much more scary than zombies or vampires...just sayin.
R. E.
Feb 06, 2016 R. E. rated it really liked it
Well Told Tales

Very interesting take on werewolf lore. I enjoyed the main characters in all three installments.

If you're into horror and enjoy the genre this will be a fun read.
James
James rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Gregory E Cranmer
Gregory E Cranmer rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Sarah Salmon
Sarah Salmon rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Dennis Ferri
Dennis Ferri rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2016
Seth Tucker
Seth Tucker rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Cheryl Alexander
Cheryl Alexander rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Ski Croghan
Ski Croghan rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Gene White
Gene White rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Marjorie
Marjorie rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Graeme Reynolds
Graeme Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Ben O'Ram
Ben O'Ram rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2014
Natalie Mintz
Natalie Mintz rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Caeric
Caeric rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Jeff Denlinger
Jeff Denlinger rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Kieran Bowley
Kieran Bowley rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Gene Ainsworth
Gene Ainsworth rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Rachael Gill
Rachael Gill rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Charlie Purcell
Charlie Purcell rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
  • Suckers
  • Husk
  • Freeze
  • Bestial
  • Blood Soaked and Contagious (Blood Soaked #1)
  • The Forgotten Eden (Talisman Chronicles #1)
  • Wood
  • The Dark Path (The Legacy Chronicles, #0.5)
Gary Phil Brandner (May 31, 1930 – September 22, 2013) was an American horror author best known for his werewolf themed trilogy of novels, The Howling. The first book in the series was loosely adapted as a motion picture in 1981. Brandner's second and third Howling novels, published in 1979 and 1985 respectively, have no connection to the film series, though he was involved in writing the screenpl ...more
More about Gary Brandner...

The Howling (3 books)