Start by marking “The Devil's Scribe (The Taker, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Scribe (The Taker, #1.5)

The Devil's Scribe (The Taker Trilogy #1.5)

After decades of running from her past, Lanore McIlvrae returns to America for the first time in 20 years to confront the source of her fear. The year is 1846 and Lanore—Lanny—has just landed in Baltimore after a long transatlantic crossing. That very night, she meets an “unattractive man with a high forehead and sunken eyes, and a tiny, pinched mouth like a parrot’s beak” ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Scribe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Scribe

Albert
Mar 13, 2012 Albert rated it really liked it
A wonderfully written short story that happens in the midst of the novel that would be the Taker. It is the tale of Lanore, herione and villian of the Taker as she travels back to America in the 1800s to check on the package, I will be vague here as it does much to do with the novel the Taker and I don't want to give any away; and see that it is still secure as she left it.
As she arrives in the port city she runs into a strange little man who needs to learn the tale that is the life of Lanore. T
Serena
Mar 19, 2012 Serena rated it really liked it
In The Devil's Scribe, Lanore McIlvrae from The Taker meets with the one and only Edgar Allan Poe by chance in an expensive Baltimore hotel in 1846 after having been gone from America for the last 20 years. Poe describes himself as an orphan and a widower able to support himself as the "devil's scribe," but Lanny seems passingly interested in his life story and the fact that he's a writer. However, in spite of her preoccupation with why she came back to America, she walks with this stranger thro ...more
Naomi
Mar 26, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing
I love Alma Katsu's mastery of gothic language. This very short, 19 page novella is simply a prime example of it. It is so dark and gothic, it actually reminded me of some of the classics of Henry James, the Bronte sisters, ect that I devour. I loved this and it simply whet my desire for the new book, The Reckoningcoming out in June.
Nidia
Jun 19, 2012 Nidia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
A dark gothic and moody story! I wanted more!
Michelle
Jun 21, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
"The Devil's Scribe" is just a fun, quick, short peek at the main female character from "The Taker", about 20 years after that book ended, and probably just before the sequel (The Reckoning) picks up. Sorry...I'm terrible with character names...I can't remember hers, but if you read "The Taker", you know who I mean. She interacts with a famous literary figure, which I think is always fun. I love it when writers do that. Definitely worth reading this little short story, if only to reassure ...more
Sonja Arlow

Wow I never thought I would say this about an Alma Katsu book but I was disappointed. Firstly this is the shortest novella I have ever read (around 25 pages NOT 50 as mentioned in the book description). And to be honest it added nothing to the overall storyline.

The story gives a minuscule glimpse of Lanore revisiting the house in Boston after she left Adair there (20 years earlier), and during this trip she meets a slightly creepy character (Edgar) who describes himself as the Devil's Scribe bec
Poppy Fields
Jul 04, 2012 Poppy Fields rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, novella

A nice little story but extremely short. 65% of the ebook is a preview of The Taker, the first book in the trilogy. I spent $2.99 on it and feel like I was cheated. If you haven't read the first book I doubt the short story would be entertaining to you at all.
Scandal
May 01, 2012 Scandal rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story. Katsu's writing style is so fun to read...dark and twisted but fun - I really enjoy her stories and I'm so looking forward to June! Keep writing, I'll keep reading!!
Paperback Dolls
Previously posted at PaperbackDolls.com

Alma Katsu has released a brilliant eShort story The Devil’s Scribe that gives you a little more insight into Lanore (Lanny) the heroine from The Taker. We are immediately taken back to the year 1846 when it is shocking for a young woman to be alone in a bar at night, yet Lanny sits having a drink. Why does she not care what others think about her and why has Lanny returned to Boston after 20 years? Lanny tells us “I’d been fleeing my past, trying to outrun
Carole Rae
Aug 19, 2012 Carole Rae rated it it was amazing
I must give warning.......this is a short story, so things are bound to happen quickly and be rather, well, short. For this review I'll just divide this is two. ^.^:

What I Liked
Well, I really like Alma Katsu's writing for some reason. She has me rather hooked! I loved how she blended Edgar Allen Poe into Lanny's story. It made me smile and chuckle, even though this story was slightly on the darker side.

Which, whilst speaking of it, was another reason this book caught my interest. It has a small
Shelby Murrell
Jan 29, 2014 Shelby Murrell rated it liked it
I love The Taker Trilogy by Alma Katsu and have been desperate to read this for a while but reluctant because it was only available as an eBook which I purosefully avoid, but it was 99p and the app was free on my tablet so I decided to read it. I have only given it 3 stars because I liked the story and I think it added to the trilogy had I read it in between the taker and the reckoning, but I would have enjoyed it if there were more short stories collected as one book and sold as a paperback ...more
Johannah Gage
Apr 14, 2012 Johannah Gage rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
An exciting and unexpected side route for fans of "The Taker" -- Lanny arrives back in Boston to check on the home she lived in there, and encounters a mysterious writer who claims to be "the devil's scribe." It's Edgar Allen Poe, and he's just as creepy and odd as you might imagine. This short story was a fun way to whet my appetite for the second book in The Taker Trilogy, "The Reckoning" which is due out in June 2012.
Ria
Jan 20, 2014 Ria rated it really liked it
I did not want to miss a single word written about Lanny so I had to get my hands on this little gem as soon as I could. This is a very very short novella its gone at the blink of an eye…BUT if you are as big Lanny fan as I am its no matter. Ms Katsu’s writing is fun and enchanting dark and alluring. Meeting Poe was very entertaining I’m glad I was able to read this. Just know its short and sweet we get some great insight to Lanny’s inner thoughts and fears. To me it was totally worth it!
Stacy
Feb 16, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
This was probably closer to a 3.5, but in order to contrast it with my rating for The Witch Sisters, I've bumped it up to the high side. While short, this is just the kind of fun interlude that you want from a series' companion story. The idea that Lanny would bump into Poe and inspire one of his best stories is a hoot, and does just fine as a standalone episode.
Tameka
Jun 01, 2014 Tameka rated it liked it
A short story about Lanore's return to America 20 years after entombing Adair. During her return she meets Edgar Allan Poe and she is the inspiration for 'The Cask of Amontillado'.

I love The Taker Trilogy, but this short story added nothing to the overall plot. The story is shorter than reported due to a preview of 'The Taker'.
Allison
Sep 04, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good, but I didn't like it as much as her other three. I'm not totally sure why, perhaps it just didn't feel quite as in-depth. I realize it was a short, but it fell just a wee shy of the finish line for me.
Cassandra (The book & movie dimension blogger)
A Fun, Quick novella read

I liked reading about how skittish and haunted Lanore was after Adair's imprisonment. Only reading the full length novels doesn't show you this much. Just wish the novella could have been longer.
Gem
Mar 01, 2016 Gem rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
Similar to the Witch Sisters, I hope this short story has a significance with the whole story. But I think not having this part is okay.
Shannon
Great novella by Alma Katsu. Lanny's story is truly amazing and I'm so excited to start reading "The Reckoning"!
Christine Bode
Jul 13, 2014 Christine Bode rated it really liked it
I love everything that I've read that Alma Katsu has written including The Taker trilogy, of which, this is a spin-off novella featuring some of the same characters.
Amanda
Jun 18, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
I understand this is just a short novella, but I don't feel it really added anything to the story. I kept waiting for something interesting/surprising to happen...but it didn't.
Jen
Dec 25, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Wonderful short story. Worth the $.99 on Amazon. This may not make sense unless you have read the Taker. Alma is becoming one of my favorite writers.
Wendy
Jan 23, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Don't know that this short story would make sense if it did not follow The Taker. However, read in succession, it's a wonderful addition!
Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Super short novella. But I loved it! Lanore returns to the US and meets a famous literary character. Interesting.... Waiting for the second book in the trilogy.
Folliesgirl14
May 21, 2012 Folliesgirl14 rated it really liked it
Kind of expected more, but oh well. Still a great story. Can't wait for next month and The Reckoning!
Ayelet
Feb 01, 2012 Ayelet rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
This is a fun edition to the series. I won't revel any spoilers, but it has aspects that remind me of Shakespeare in Love.
Tracy Goretzki
Feb 07, 2013 Tracy Goretzki rated it really liked it
Another terrific read! I love Alma`s style of writing, a lot of suspense as well as twists and turns you do not expect. ...more
Liz Smith
Liz Smith rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Suzanne Murphy
Suzanne Murphy rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bound to Me (Dark Days, #0.5)
  • Dance Of The Goblins (The Goblin, #1)
  • The Demon Bride (The Witching Pen series, #3)
  • Getting Caught
  • Demon Evolution (Oceans of Red, #2)
  • Demon's Caress (Demon Heat, #1)
  • Rumors of Eden
  • The Dome (The Dome Trilogy, #1)
  • Catriona
  • AngelKiller
  • What the Kid Says (and Sometimes What I Say)
  • Silver Lake
  • A Gentle Hell
  • An African Affair
  • The Rift (Vessel of Souls, #1)
  • Carnal Moves
  • Chasing Smoke
  • The Closet (Summerset Tales #1)
I'm the author of THE TAKER, THE RECKONING and THE DESCENT (Gallery Books/Simon & Schuster), a trilogy about desire, obsession and the dark things we sometimes do for love. The Taker, which has been widely compared to the early work of Anne Rice, was selected by ALA/Booklist as one of the top ten debut novels of 2011 and translation rights have been sold in over a dozen languages.

More about Alma Katsu...

The Taker Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Taker (The Taker, #1)
  • The Reckoning (The Taker, #2)
  • The Descent (The Taker, #3)