Trusting Evil

Trusting Evil

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In the summer of 1966, Richard Franklin Speck, a twenty-two year old Ordinary Seaman, waiting for a berth aboard a merchant ship, murdered eight student nurses inside a townhouse in South Chicago, shocking the surrounding hardworking, religious community to its very core. Twenty years later, Carly Rocket and her business partner, Mike Holtzer, find themselves inside Statev...more
Published January 24th 2012 by Books We Love, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Trusting Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trusting Evil

Lynda Kelly
This was a great book and mostly based on fact. Spookily I started reading on July 14th, the 46th anniversary of the terrible murders of Richard Speck of eight nurses in Chicago.
The book's author lived around the corner from the townhouse where they died and her life was clearly affected by the awful atrocity going on so nearby.
The book is about a girl who grew up in the area too and she's now a partner in a film extras company. They need some real-life prisoners for a film so head off to where...more
Valerie
Wow! This is a hard book to review for me.
I was a young girl in the 60's, younger than Carly was when evil entered her young life.
I can go back in time in so many parts of this story, not the bad bits but the good old days that were full of day dreams and using your imagination when life was simple, innocent, trusting...
What happened to Carly could only effect you in years to come in the worst possible way, you'd be scarred for life.
This is one of these books that made me thankful for all the...more
Sheri
Trusting Evil (by Mary Leo)

Carly Rocket and Mike Holtzer are filming a movie in Stateville Correctional Facility outside of Chicago. She finds that notorious killer Richard Speck is housed there. He killed eight nurses in the South Chicago neighborhood where Carly grew up. Memories of the 1966 murders are haunting her and they decide to film the "good life" Richard has in prison. Little does she know her life is in danger.

A fantastic thriller. I grew up in Chicago and do remember the murders. I...more
Elizabeth Jane
I always like to read stories that are written based on actual facts. I enjoyed this book, however there were times that the flashbacks became redundant. Especially the ones dealing with Carly and her friends obsessing over the Beatles. I guess, in a way, they were integral to delving into Carly's psychosis, but it made a very difficult reading experience because I would wander mentally as soon as I realized a passage was going to describe more Beatle mania. I kind of wish the ending had been di...more
Kim
Gripping, as I was the same age as the main character in the book in 1966 and live not too far from the South Chicago neighborhood where Speck murdered 8 student nurses. Very relatable for me, and I found I could not put this well-written book down.
Nicole
what a fantastic read! grabbed my attention from beginning to end. very well written.
Iyanna
Mary Leo is well written,you will get caughtup with the characters,in the mist of the murders you have an love story.Trusting Evil is a haunting and chilling story.the more you read the more you cant put it down,and i dont like reading True Story,so coming from me ,this is a good read
Nancy
Clever blend of history and fiction. A little slow-going at times. The intermingling of the story's present day and the past was well-done. I liked the special passages that were from the point-of-view of the nurses Richard Speck murdered in Chicago.
Kathy Lewis
After reading this book, I would probably not read any others by this author. Far too slow and never really goes anywhere. Curious about the true story it was based on.
Lisa Gatts
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! One of the best freebie books Ever!Just can't say enough about this book. Get it you will love it I promise.
Susan O'Neill-Wood
A truly good read based in reality, with all of the details. I especially loved the characters who are as flawed as real humans.
Janet Wellington
Spine-tingling page-turner. Start it early in the day because you won't be able to put it down!
Linda
A little hard to get into, but all in all, it was good.
Dalia
Dalia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Swamp Ophelia
Swamp Ophelia marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Mel Murdock
Mel Murdock marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lianne
Lianne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Lavada
Lavada marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jennifer Peters
Jennifer Peters marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Christina Robinson
Christina Robinson marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Barbara Brabank
Barbara Brabank marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
The Spia Family Presses On It's In His Kiss Falling for the Cowboy Romancing Rudy Raindear Irish Kiss (Love, Lore &  A Wee Bit of Larceny)