Start by marking “Trusting Evil” as Want to Read:
Trusting Evil

Trusting Evil

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In the summer of 1966, Richard Franklin Speck, a twenty-two year old Ordinary Seaman, waiting for a berth aboard a merchant ship, murdered eight student nurses inside a townhouse in South Chicago, shocking the surrounding hardworking, religious community to its very core. Twenty years later, Carly Rocket and her business partner, Mike Holtzer, find themselves inside Statev ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by Books We Love, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Trusting Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trusting Evil

Lynda Kelly
Dec 16, 2015 Lynda Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a great book and mostly based on fact. Spookily I started reading on July 14th, the 46th anniversary of the terrible murders of Richard Speck of eight nurses in Chicago.
The book's author lived around the corner from the townhouse where they died and her life was clearly affected by the awful atrocity going on so nearby.
The book is about a girl who grew up in the area too and she's now a partner in a film extras company. They need some real-life prisoners for a film so head off to where
Valerie
Sep 14, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is a hard book to review for me.
I was a young girl in the 60's, younger than Carly was when evil entered her young life.
I can go back in time in so many parts of this story, not the bad bits but the good old days that were full of day dreams and using your imagination when life was simple, innocent, trusting...
What happened to Carly could only effect you in years to come in the worst possible way, you'd be scarred for life.
This is one of these books that made me thankful for all the
Beth Lechman
Mar 18, 2016 Beth Lechman rated it it was ok
This book is based on an actual event. 8 student nurses murdered and a young woman struggling with the trauma and guilt she experienced living only a few blocks from the scene. Carly was 14 at the time and saw things that she felt as she got older if she had told it might have saved them. This is a powerful story but it jumps from decade to decade and for me made it hard to follow.
Sheri
Jan 09, 2014 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Trusting Evil (by Mary Leo)

Carly Rocket and Mike Holtzer are filming a movie in Stateville Correctional Facility outside of Chicago. She finds that notorious killer Richard Speck is housed there. He killed eight nurses in the South Chicago neighborhood where Carly grew up. Memories of the 1966 murders are haunting her and they decide to film the "good life" Richard has in prison. Little does she know her life is in danger.

A fantastic thriller. I grew up in Chicago and do remember the murders. I
Elizabeth Jane
Mar 01, 2013 Elizabeth Jane rated it really liked it
I always like to read stories that are written based on actual facts. I enjoyed this book, however there were times that the flashbacks became redundant. Especially the ones dealing with Carly and her friends obsessing over the Beatles. I guess, in a way, they were integral to delving into Carly's psychosis, but it made a very difficult reading experience because I would wander mentally as soon as I realized a passage was going to describe more Beatle mania. I kind of wish the ending had been di ...more
Kim
Jan 12, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Gripping, as I was the same age as the main character in the book in 1966 and live not too far from the South Chicago neighborhood where Speck murdered 8 student nurses. Very relatable for me, and I found I could not put this well-written book down.
Nicole
Jan 07, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
what a fantastic read! grabbed my attention from beginning to end. very well written.
Iyanna
Apr 18, 2012 Iyanna rated it liked it
Mary Leo is well written,you will get caughtup with the characters,in the mist of the murders you have an love story.Trusting Evil is a haunting and chilling story.the more you read the more you cant put it down,and i dont like reading True Story,so coming from me ,this is a good read
Nancy
Feb 24, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Clever blend of history and fiction. A little slow-going at times. The intermingling of the story's present day and the past was well-done. I liked the special passages that were from the point-of-view of the nurses Richard Speck murdered in Chicago.
Kathy Lewis
Jun 21, 2012 Kathy Lewis rated it liked it
After reading this book, I would probably not read any others by this author. Far too slow and never really goes anywhere. Curious about the true story it was based on.
Lisa Gatts
May 30, 2013 Lisa Gatts rated it it was amazing
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! One of the best freebie books Ever!Just can't say enough about this book. Get it you will love it I promise.
Susan O'Neill-Wood
Apr 24, 2012 Susan O'Neill-Wood rated it really liked it
A truly good read based in reality, with all of the details. I especially loved the characters who are as flawed as real humans.
Janet Wellington
Aug 14, 2012 Janet Wellington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Spine-tingling page-turner. Start it early in the day because you won't be able to put it down!
Linda
Jun 10, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
A little hard to get into, but all in all, it was good.
Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Laura Peichel
Laura Peichel marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Brandolin
Brandolin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Marissa Caldwell
Marissa Caldwell rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2016
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Karl Hardman
Karl Hardman is currently reading it
Feb 14, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Mommacat
Mommacat marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kays
Kays marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
  • The Weight of Glass
  • Soul and Shadow (Lily Evans Mystery #1)
  • Badwater (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • Under-Heaven
  • Deep Waters
  • Shadows of St. Louis
  • Undetectable (Great Minds Thriller, #2)
  • Listen to the Shadows
  • The Real
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Rumors of Savages
  • Bad Spirits (Kate Jones Thriller, #1)
  • Malice