Start by marking “No Deadly Thing (A Twisted Tree novel)” as Want to Read:
No Deadly Thing (A Twisted Tree novel)

Read Book

No Deadly Thing (Twisted Tree #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This novel is an episodic genre mash up that incorporates elements of dark urban fantasy and military fiction.
NDT balances its detailed character studies with dazzling action and adventure. If you're searching for something uncommon, this is the novel for you!

Ashrinn Pinecroft has spent a lifetime trying to forget his mixed family’s expulsion from his native Iran, so much
Published August 1st 2012 by Hard Limits Press

To ask other readers questions about No Deadly Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Deadly Thing

Indie Reviews
May 03, 2014 Indie Reviews rated it really liked it

No Deadly Thing by Tiger Gray is the author’s debut novel and the second book in the Twisted Tree series published by Hard Limits Press. The story is set in the American Pacific Northwest and the author fuses the tenets of good and evil of the ancient Zoroastrian religion and philosophy with the theme of environmental contamination to write an elaborate urban fantasy tale that also interweaves strong elements of action/adventure and mystery. The writing is refined and textured and well serves th
Chelsea
Feb 02, 2014 Chelsea rated it really liked it
No Deadly Thing is a thrilling take on urban fantasy. The characters are easy to like, or at least become attached to, and the plot itself is well rounded and well researched. Things start out with what seems to be your standard discovery-of-powers, then quickly devolve into urban warfare with mundane humanity caught in the middle. Romance is present, but secondary to a story that pulls no punches whatsoever.

The only issue I had was a sort of glossing over of certain plot stages. Events would be
KME
Sep 16, 2013 KME rated it really liked it
Tiger Gray is not afraid to let you see the damage.

The story, while being an overarching epic, is primarily driven by its characters, all of whom are self-aware and influenced by their own histories. Histories which can be ugly, and painful. Everyone has made decisions they regret. Everyone has something to hide. Everyone hopes that they’re doing the right thing. I like that I can see the characters struggling to be better than they are, fighting their own fears, fighting their own shame, their
Jason Crawford
Today, I am reviewing the Urban Fantasy/Paranormal story No Deadly Thing by Tiger Gray. This is an action-packed, fast-moving novel that tells a compelling tale, but maybe tries to do too much in too little space. Ashrinn must fight against an evil, corrupting cult using the magic in his world that he isn’t, at first, aware of, but which he learns permeates every aspect of his life—including his wife, a fire mage with a terrible secret; and his neighbor and squadmate who is married to a Fae and ...more
Nick
Sep 15, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently, I’ve been on an indie author binge. After winning a free copy of a book a while back, I decided to give more indies a chance. Typically, the results have been very mixed. Either really good, or horribly bad. I find it fitting that the latest indie I have come across has managed to tick both sides of the spectrum with resounding force, though the bad isn’t quite the BAD I’ve read elsewhere.

No Deadly Thing is a fantasy novel that incorporates religious themes and tones to create a unique
Lily Author
Two paladins discover their true nature and experience a sexual awakening in the middle of a battle for good and evil.

At least, that's the blurb I would have preferred.

I'm usually a speed reader, but No Deadly Thing took me awhile longer than usual.

I loved the ideas. The mythology is well-researched, the characters well developed with emotional depth, crisp entertaining dialogue, and a magical universe that's explained logically. My reading enjoyment, however, was sporadic at best.

A lot of incon
Monica Pierce
3.5 stars/A Writer to Watch

No Deadly Thing is a unique urban fantasy that brings Middle Eastern mythology, an exploration of m/m sexuality, and a military element to the genre.

WHAT I LOVED:
• Sharp dialogue that immediately conveyed the voices and frank military camaraderie of the main characters Ashrinn and Malkai. The everyman lingo snaps and I laughed outright more than once at their repartee. It’s clear that Tiger Gray knows these characters inside and out.

Ex. “Oh, excuse me for having thoug
Katrina Knittle
May 29, 2014 Katrina Knittle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win. Will read and review once received.

This was a wonderful read and a quick read. The style of writing just grabbeds a hold of you and makes you fly through the pages. The characters in this book are well thought out and all interesting. The book is fill with adventure, magic, action, and ,mystery. I really loved this book and would definitely recommned to other readers.
S.B. Stewart-Laing
Aug 19, 2012 S.B. Stewart-Laing rated it it was amazing
The novel was a quick read-- the prose style is taut and flows quickly, and the characters are intimately drawn. It weaves together action, magic, and mystery with the subtle inner conflicts of the characters. The mythology and religion which underpins the action is handled with nuance and detail which speaks to a high level of research, and the reader is allowed a window into the main character's cultural experience. Highly recommended for those who like their action-adventure taken up a level ...more
Kaite
Jun 13, 2014 Kaite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a free copy from the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Program and think that it interesting. I would recommend it to everyone.
J.F.
Mar 15, 2015 J.F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75/5

Ashrinn Pinecroft is an ex-Special Ops soldier who discovers that he has the ability to channel the Divine and swiftly finds himself heading a supernatural military order designed to combat the evil and corruption in the world.

I want to start by saying that I enjoyed this book, particularly the characterization, and that I would recommend this book to fans of Contemporary Fantasy and Indie Authors, as well as anyone who loves gut-wrenching tragedy in their stories.

However, I had a lot of d
Fangs for the Fantasy
Aug 14, 2013 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it it was ok
There is just too much of this book to summarise – Ashrinn, an ex-special forces soldier returns, injured from Iraq and discovers a whole new magical world, powers he never imagined, his own personal connection to the divine and, above all, a purpose. A purpose to save not just his home, not even just the magical community – but the entire world. And in the process find his own personal family life shook to the core.

That is such a brief and pared down summary of the vastness that happens in this
Candice Bundy
This is a unique urban fantasy book with strong military avataristic components in the form of modern day Paladins who safeguard against those who would use magic for ill. I enjoyed the author's strong creative skills and well-honed writing style, painting a lush and vivid world. This universe lacks tired tropes and instead shows us new takes on the old which are very inventive. It's filled with a great deal of action and a colorful cast of characters, which usually keeps me engaged.

Although I w
Michael Dally
I read this book after winning it in a Goodreads giveaway. Though I felt the book had an interesting concept, it didn't really feel like it came together. Seemed like the author kind of threw a lot of things on the wall to see what stuck, but most of it didn't. My biggest gripe though was large chunks of time were passed over leaving me feeling pretty disoriented and pulling me away from the story. Though the author tries to fill you in, going from calmness into major action, back to somewhat ca ...more
Leanna
Leanna marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Hels
Hels marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Pastel
Pastel marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Joshua Beane
Joshua Beane marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Debera Harrington
Debera Harrington marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Bobby Corry
Bobby Corry marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Diane Murray
Diane Murray marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Rubi
Rubi marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 24, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Sabrina Street
Sabrina Street marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Pia Veleno
Pia Veleno marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Alice Reed
Alice Reed marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Fringe Fiction: No Deadly Thing and The Wicked Instead free all week 15 15 Jul 24, 2014 03:33PM
Fringe Fiction: No Deadly Thing by Tiger Gray 2 33 May 19, 2014 05:11PM
  • StarCrossed 1: Demon Tailz
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Light
  • The Unwanted
  • The One that Stayed (One and One, #3)
  • Out on the Net: A Love Story in Blog Form
  • Bitter Orange
  • A Horse Named Sorrow
  • Foolish Hearts: New Gay Fiction
  • The Sight of Home
  • Lost and Found
  • Shell Shocked
  • Missing
  • Dear God (Tales from Foster High, #4.5)
  • Billy's Boy (Harlan's Story, #3)
  • Between Brothers
  • Running Away to Home
  • Songs for the New Depression
5619790
"Some folks will say — okay, there are topics and subjects you can’t write about. Which is nonsense, obviously. Everything is the domain of fiction. Nothing is forbidden, everything is permitted. It must be, for fiction to maintain its teeth. Fiction only has meaning when everything is permissible."

--Chuck Wendig, Terrible Minds

Tiger Gray writes serious and seriously twisted LGBT speculative ficti
More about Tiger Gray...

Twisted Tree (2 books)
  • The Wicked Instead (Twisted Tree #1)