Expediente X: Calcinación Espontánea

Expediente X: Calcinación Espontánea (X-Files #3)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  1,017 ratings  ·  44 reviews
En este tercer título de Expediente X, colección basada en la popular serie norteamericana galardonada recientemente con un Globo de Oro, los agentes Mulder y Scully deben investigar varias muertes por calcinación. En todos los casos los cadáveres aparecen prácticamente reducidos a cenizas debido a incendios muy violentos y provocados por causas desconocidas. Con la ayuda...more
Published June 28th 1996 by Plaza & Janés (first published January 1st 1985)

Dolly
Jun 25, 2008 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: X-Files fans
Not a very memorable book. I would recommend this only for hard-core X-Files fans.
Kate
I read this back in my days as an X-phile... don't remember too much about it, so it can't have been that great, but I don't remember hating it, so... I think I just preferred to watch Mulder instead of reading about him.
Dale
Duration: approximately 3 hours
Read by Gillian Anderson
Abridged

So, how can I say this succinctly and clearly?

The abridged audiobook of The X-Files: Ground Zero is not good. It is bad. It is not well read. It has few of the best qualities of the TV show.

Read by Gillian Anderson, the abridged audiobook clocks in at about 3 hours and read unenthusiastically by Gillian Anderson. One of the reasons I picked this one up is that I figured she'd read it well. It says it was recorded in Vancouver in 1...more
Timothy McNeil
There are several problems with Ground Zero .

There is the engineer/nuclear physicist who doesn't know how an internal combustion engine or microwave oven works. UC Berkeley, a state school, is described as having a high tuition cost (one can argue whether or not $1200/year would have been exorbitant, but it is about 11% of what Harvard would have been charging at the time). The USS Dallas is a Spruance class destroyer (no Spruance class ships are named after American cities) in a novel that ins...more
Christopher Hivner
In Ground Zero Mulder and Scully investigate the mysterious deaths of two people involved with a secret government project that involves a new type of nuclear device and an above ground test that is against international law. They manage to get a trip to the test site to watch the detonation. Once there they meet up with one of their suspects, a scientist turned nuclear protester and her friend, a blind man whose skin is covered in burn scars and who carries the secret to what has been happening...more
Martyn Perry
Another surprisingly readable entry in the X-Files Novel series. Kevin J. Anderson creates a brilliantly unique story with enough paranormal elements, government conspiracy elements and unexplained deaths to feel like a true X-File. The nuclear weapons program in the US provides plenty of interesting discussion points and the supernatural tie in to historic events is a good concept.

There are unfortunately some weaknesses to the book. Mulder feels like a one trick punch line spewing jackass and d...more
Kay Iscah
KJ does a better job in Ground Zero of bringing in the humor aspect that makes X-files so endearing. He doesn't always captured Mulder and Scully's voice, but his secondary character have more dimension to them. They seem more tangible, easier to visualize.

As I've said before in my Star Wars days. K.J.A. can create interesting characters. He just doesn't seem to know what to do with them. In Ground Zero, he kills them all off...one of those, "everyone else died, but Mulder and Scully made it, so...more
Emily
This book's story was true to a certain style of X-Files episodes. Unfortunately it's my least favorite style.

The writing was okay. I felt it was a little . . . much at times.

My biggest complaint is that it didn't have enough Mulder and Scully, and when the two did show up they weren't very true to character. It may have been a better book without the X-Files association.

I would unenthusiastically recommend it to X-Files fans.
Meagan
Mulder and Scully are called in to investigate the murder of nuclear weapons researcher Dr. Gregory. Dr. Gregory was in charge of an illegal project: a new nuclear explosive with destructive power but leaves no radioactive fallout. From there ensues mystery and adventures where Mulder's sarcastic sense of humour and Scully's scepticism are apparent throughout the story, where a reader can envision a real X-files episode.
Mollie Trail
I could picture this as an episode so clearly. Kevin Anderson really got in the minds of Mulder and Scully. The case itself was mytserious, only unraveling when Anderson wanted it to. He was a bit too descriptive with what USS Dallas looked like and on a few other little points, but beyond that it was a very good book.
Chris Brigante
As a college student that is constantly reading very heavy material, this book was a fantastic break for my brain. Though the author fails to capture Mulder and Scully, if you are an x-files fan, you will still enjoy this book. The plot is fairly good and will keep you reading, just don't expect a masterpiece.
Isabel
The story begins with a scientist leading the development of a new kind of atomic bomb being found dead after an atomic explosion in an office where they only ever ran computer simulations of explosions.[return][return]Exciting but extremely far-fetched!
Katie
Not bad for a TV tie in. The story was good, and kept me guessing for a while. The characters were okay, but not the best. And it got really annoying to keep reading long chapters by random people. But overall, a fun quick read for any die hard x-philes.
geekboy42
If you're an X-Files fan, then you will surely like this book.
The authors nail Mulder's smart-assed sense of humor and Scully's skeptical view of Mulder's theories. You can picture watching this on TV as you read it, very image forming descriptions.
Brenda
We are watching the entire 9 seasons and have nine episodes to the end. This book takes up with the characters of the series and really captures their mannerisms and relationship. I thought it was really good.
Fayd Eaton
It's always a pleasure reading a good X-Files book and this one is good.
Jamie
While Kevin J. Anderson is an able writer this book just sort of fell flat for me.
Unusual, I know...I may need to genre hop for awhile and see if I cna renew my interest level in the story.
Kat
Audio book performed by Gillian Anderson. The story was good but listeneing to a monotone voice for hours on end...I susect "reading" the pages would have been much more enjoyable.
Christie
Leslie got me this book to read since I am such a huge X-files fan. I think even those who aren't big fans would like this book. Especailly if you like to read mystery.
Doug Roberts
No thinking involved, just along for the ride. This was nothing special, and the narration by Gillian Anderson was nice, although it felt a little uninspired. Meh.
Coinboy
Living in Livermore (motto: "50 Wineries and Nukes!") made me interested in this book, which was a quick fun read, and made me nostalgic for the series.
Jillian
This is the book read on tape by Gillian Anderson. Her voice is melodic and she definitely gets into the reading. I found it at an antique store! yay!
Lauren
This book was a fun, quick read, but probably only because I am already an X-Files fan. It was decently written, just not very suspenseful.
Kitty
Wow! I absolutely loved this book. it wasn't nearly as wierd as some of the episodes were, but I think it was just as good, if not better.
Beka
An interesting case file written in a manner that makes it almost like watching an episode of the show.
Oceana2602
More official X-Files Fanfic. Maybe I should reread this, now that I know what "real" fanfic is like.
Read1000books
Captures the "voices" of the characters and the atmosphere perfectly. X-philes will love it.
Seawater
Snorefest. Bought it at a yard sale. Paid 25 cents Canadian. Still felt ripped off somehow.
Arnita Medina
I thought it was a good read, thought Mulder and Scully were pretty true to character.
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • Goblins (The X-Files)
  • The Truth Is Out There: The Official Guide to the X Files, Volume One
  • Fight the Future
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume 1
  • Darkness Falls (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #2)
  • Alien 3
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • Descent (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Balance of Power (Star Trek: The Next Generation #33)
  • Unification (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Rogue Saucer (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #39)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 2
  • The Star Trek Chronology: A History of the Future
  • First Born (Torchwood, #16)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation #29)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll...more
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite Darksaber (Star Wars)