Start by marking “Beginning Again (Finding Peace, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Beginning Again

Freddy MacKay

Beginning Again (Finding Peace #1)

Months after waking from a car accident that took everything David held dear, he's trying to settle into a new life at CRU. There's only one problem. Well, three, his roommates: Bobby, Chris and Austin. They want to experience life now that they're out from under their parents' watchful eyes, and for David to partake in the fun with them. David feels he's experienced enoug ...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 427 pages
Published February 25th 2012 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Beginning Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginning Again

Betryal
Mar 02, 2012 Betryal rated it it was amazing
A horrific story that affects your mental way of thinking, bursts your emotions and mind. They are many moments in the beginning that had me laughing and in stitches, but they changes and you soon find out why along the way in reading this book. I enjoyed this book a lot, but some scenes are not for those who have and had issues with rape and battery.

But dayum I'm gonna say that I'm left unable to wait for the next book that will follow this one. My morbid brain enjoyed it.

Diane
Feb 25, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Most people who know me would agree that I'm a little odd, and to that end, if a book manages to make me cry, I consider it a great book! And this book made me cry in a big way!
This is first in a series and if you enjoyed JP Barnaby's Little Boy Lost series, I think you will enjoy this book with the similar themes of dealing with prejudice, being true to yourself, overcoming abuse and bullying,learning to trust people and letting them in to your life and your heart.

The setting is a conservative
Td
Mar 12, 2012 Td rated it liked it
The cover and the blurb were enough to make me go into this read with a sense of dread. When we meet David we know he's scarred, he's had a traumatic past, and he's suffered through loss. The first 80% of this book or so wasn't as angsty I was prepared for. The author spent a good amount of the book gradually building David back up. David slowly opens himself up to a circle of caring friends, to the possibility of truly moving on, becoming intimate again, to wanting more. It is mostly beautiful, ...more
Gem1
Jul 22, 2012 Gem1 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
This book started off slow but quickly pulled me in. Because of that fact, I finished it in less than 2 days. Within that time, I went through a gambit of emotions. Sadness and anger on behalf of the main character David are the two emotions that stands out the most. Now I don't know what I feel. I'm upset about David's mistreatment throughout his life, I want the next book, and I'm upset that this series will continue to plague us with cliffhangers. Not sure If I should just wait until the end ...more
Whitney
Aug 08, 2012 Whitney rated it really liked it
Yes! I loved this book
Even with the length, I didn't feel like it was dragging on. I just wanted it to keep going. Can't wait to read the second book.

Most of the book is David working on opening up, to trust people. He doesn't go out much. But when he does start to open up, first with Bobby, then the other's. I loved the friend ship between all the boys. I like how they all wanted to take care of David. But they did baby him to much, after all he is a grown man.

It was a beautiful book. Recommen
Sue
Dec 17, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok
I was ultimately disappointed by this, as I'd expected far more from its high rating and rave reviews.
I dunno - it just didn't work for me. I found the characters didn't grab me, and I became irritated by my lack of connection. I did manage to finish it, but couldn't be bothered to see more of them, so won't be buying sequels.
Alison
Jun 12, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing
Recommended read. Make sure tissues are handy.
Tana
Mar 03, 2012 Tana rated it really liked it
To read my Review please go to:

Susan65
Feb 12, 2012 Susan65 marked it as to-read
I can't read this until the next one comes out...me and cliff hangers do not get a long.
L. Layale
I must be one of the odd out because there's so many 4 and 5 star and I can't say that it was that great. I like the concept of the story. Abuse stories are always hard in some way and evoke strong emotions towards character attachments. David is 26, but is rooming with 3 18 year old kids. He's been in a serious relationship and even fathered a child. He's the product of severe abuse to boot. What I didn't like is that he's supposed to be 26 with a kid, but behaves more like a 12-16yr old abuse ...more
Joy
Mar 12, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Intense, heartbreaking story about a man who has survived abuse and lost his family. He goes to college to "begin again," and living in the dorms and working in the labs bring him friendships despite his reluctance to get involved with other people again. He also secretly reaches out to two men who could become lovers. Then a horrifying assault threatens everything.

This is obviously the first in a series--a lot of plot threads are unresolved, but the book wasn't so short I felt ripped off. This
Christina
i like it but some of the characters anoyed me.
(view spoiler)
Kittykills
Mar 20, 2016 Kittykills rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
VERY SLOW MOVING PLOT!!!!!

about half way through I realized that I had read this once before. and since insomnia struck I finished reading it a second time. I can honestly say I have no trouble never reading this writer even again. must have blocked the first time.... god awful slow moving in the first part of the book, the Jackson/David one off disturbed me, Eddie I somewhat liked nut the helping hand not do much.... David the suffering twink? David the greiving father? David the scarred one h
Liza
Mar 20, 2014 Liza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have so many feelings about this story. It was heart-breaking, but hopeful. A little sexy, but sad. There were times that I laughed and then I was crying.

David has been through hell. He is trying to start over at 27 at a new college. His roommate, Bobby, thinks he is shy and needs a little help coming out of his shell. Just when things seem to be going his way, tragedy strikes David again, plunging back into hell.
Even with all the darkness, I can't wait to read more of David's story. It ends
Jen
There were quite a few editing mistakes or oversights in the book but they were easy to ignore. I was getting about 3/4 of the way through wondering what everyone was saying was so traumatic and then WHAM! So terrible!

I read this in one day because it kept me glued to the story. Up too late and blubbering at the end. Good story :-)
Jae
David was so lovable, everything he went through just broke my heart. I was glad to see him open up and get new friends and learn to accept that people could care for him no matter his history. I really wanted Chris and Jackson to open up a can of whipass on Mike. Hopefully he and his cronies will get everything they deserve and more.

I look forward to reading the next.
Alison
A must-read if you like stories about people who have suffered and are trying to put their lives back together, this story has it all: good characters, realism, and a writing style that makes a novel seem like a short story.
jules0623
Apr 05, 2012 jules0623 marked it as dnf
I don't know what's going on but there's a real annoying lack of connection. I just don't care about any of the characters, despite the fact I obviously should, and there's something a bit scattered about the story.
YullSanna
Привычный m/m романчик...
Portia
Feb 25, 2012 Portia rated it it was amazing
Review to follow
Robbie
Feb 04, 2012 Robbie rated it it was ok
This was a little too much for me. I'm sorry. I liked the author's voice but it's just not for me.
Jen Wilson
Mar 08, 2012 Jen Wilson rated it it was amazing
There is so much to say but no words. All emotions play out in this book. It also leaves you with so many questions. I cannot wait for the next one to come out in May.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Tana
Genre: M/M contemporary
Rated: 4 hearts

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
Morgana_lefay
Morgana_lefay rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Sara Harrison
Sara Harrison rated it really liked it
May 05, 2017
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2012
Evelyn Victoria
Evelyn Victoria rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Havannah
Havannah rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Megan L Harnett
Megan L Harnett rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Abandoned (Little Boy Lost, #2)
  • Ink
  • Mourning Heaven
  • Whatever the Cost (Whatever the Cost, #1)
  • A Red-Tainted Silence
  • By That Sin Fell the Angels
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • Everything That You Are
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • 911
  • Silent
  • An Immoveable Solitude
  • Danny and Mike
  • Out of the Blackness (Avery, #1)
  • White-Knuckled Moments
  • Infected: Undertow (Infected, #7)
  • Hidden Away
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
Freddy grew up in the Midwest, playing sports and running around outside. And honestly, that much has not changed since Freddy was small and throwing worms at other kids, expect worm throwing has been replaced with a healthy geocaching addiction. Freddy enjoys traveling and holds the view a person should continually to learn about new things and people whenever possible.

Freddy's contemporary LGBT
More about Freddy MacKay...

Finding Peace (3 books)
  • Incubation (Finding Peace, #2)
  • Days Gone By (Finding Peace, #3)