Start by marking “Infection (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #1)” as Want to Read:
Infection (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #1)

Infection (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Anchorage, Alaska: gateway to serene wilderness of The Last Frontier. No stranger to struggle, the city on the edge of the world is about to become even more isolated. When a plague strikes, Anchorage becomes a deadly trap for its citizens. The only two land routes out of the city are cut, forcing people to fight or die as the infection spreads.
Published January 28th 2012 by Permuted Press (first published August 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Infection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infection

Holden Attradies
I picked this up because I adore zombie lit and I adore Alaska, where I live. I had been warned by, oh just about everyone, that this was a pretty sub-par book and that it was full of typos. Was it? Yeah, it was. But in spite of all it's flaws I ended up enjoying it far more than I thought I would. I think this primarily came from the fact I was so easily able to visually where the events of the book take place, being I have physically stood in pretty much all the specific locations mentioned in ...more
Felicia A
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Another editing project is now a published book! More zombie goodnessssssssssssssssss. And don't forget to watch for the sequel, Containment, out later this year.

Small children vacationing in Alaska find caveman coming out of a glacial ice-block. One gets bitten and that's pretty much it for Alaska. Kid rapidly infects the hospital staff and patients and you soon have a fast-running zombie horde. A store clerk, businessman, two kids, cop, doctor and a couple of others are on the run in two separate groups that eventually converge. No real ending to this one.

Eh. The writing was a little stiff, self-conscious. Characters were not especially engaging and w
Stacey Voss
I started to read this book, but really couldn't finish it. I wanted to like it. I like zombie fic and the premise of having a pre-historic zombie melt out of a glacier was original. I also thought the cover was good.

At first I thought the cheesy writing was because it was aimed at a MG audience, but the swearing quickly showed that this was supposed to be an adult novel.

My main issues were that the story was rushed and the character development was irregular. I didn't need to know a lot about c
Rosann
I actually liked this book. It was very fast paced and the author kept it ( imo) realistic. Even though the zombie "infection" in the book happened current day ( as described in several parts of the book) some of the characters have seen zombie movies so they are not completely blind or dumb.

Other part in book that I like was that the characters in the book didnt automatcially "know" to shoot zombie in the head. Mistakes were made (deadly) mistakes that cost lives because of it.. but gradually t
Badseedgirl
Anyone who has ever looked at my reading list will know that I have a love hate relationship with the genre of Zombie fiction. When it is good, it can be a well written and entertaining. But so often in these days of self and e-published novels that should have never seen the light of day, picking up a “Zombie novel” should come with Vegas odds as to how bad it will be. Fortunately for every double zero that comes up on the wheel, I will also find a novel like Infection: Alaskan Undead Apocalyps ...more
Darren D
No word has been conceived yet to aptly describe how damn amazing this book was. It literally blew me away. Incredibly, deep characterization, with realistic reactions and fears. No gun toting heroes here.
Just terror, brutality, and utter dread.
It is a ZA book which begins with the outbreak, which i enjoy more, and quickly descends into hell on earth. Sean puts you in his world and you feel the fear, and the hopelessness.
By far one of the best books i've ever read.
Brad T.
I read a lot of independent apocalyptic fiction and I have come to expect certain things. Things like editing and writing experience come into play but I don't expect 5 star fiction in this genre. I look for two things: originality and good characters.

Originality - The only thing about this book that was original was the setting, you don't see a lot in this genre written about Alaska. I was disappointed to discover though that this could have been set in any city. The fact that it was Alaska see
Patrick D'Orazio
Infection: Alaskan Undead Apocalypse takes place mainly in Anchorage, and begins with a family of tourists from Minnesota who are traveling to Alaska on vacation. The younger boy, Martin, has brought along a friend, Danny, and the family plans on spending time out in the woods at a cabin near a glacier. Almost immediately upon arrival at the cabin, Martin, his sister Jules, and Danny discover what appears to be a dead body stuck in the melting glacier. Thinking it is a caveman, they pose next to ...more
J.R.

This is one of the few books in the genre that place the outbreak in Alaska. For most people, when they hear Alaska they unconsciously think that it’s always snow and cold. True, there are places in Alaska where snow stays year round but for the most part the state has sun, rain and even times when snow doesn’t cover the ground.

Keeping that in mind, Infection- Alaskan Undead Apocalypse follows the story of an eclectic group of survivors. We have children, doctors, officer workers and retail sto
Jennifer Macdonald
At most times, it felt more like I was reading a synopsis for a novel than a novel itself. There were characters added, presumably to give the reader a feeling for how terrible this apocalypse was and how it took them unaware; however, for me, it detracted from the story and the main characters and felt unnecessary. I'm left wondering what happened to the older brother, Alec; what happened to him? I can't bring myself to read the second in this series because, quite honestly, I just don't care a ...more
Gar
Spoiler:

Nice take on the apocolypse genre. As would be in real life and not fiction, real established characters can and will be killed off before your eyes. I kind of find it hard to believe that up in Alaska, there would be so many of the undead as in the books but hey.... whatever. Definitely not the best zombie books but still a good read. These books had me anywhere from 2-4 stars at different times. overall, 3.5
Miranda Grimes
I was a little more than halfway into reading this book (on Oyster), when my 5 day free trial was through. I about cried. I don't like not being able to finish a book, but can't afford to pay a monthly subscription, either. Tried to see if I could read it on here (frustrating that I can't)... I'll have to just order this series myself *sigh*
Daphne
This was recommended to me by a student of mine. I do like the Walking Dead TV series and thought it would kind of be fun to read something about Anchorage and Zombies, a light read. This it was. Don't be looking for superior writing and a dynamite plot. This doesn't have it, however, it'll pique your interest enough to keep you entertained. Sometimes we all desire an easy quick read and this would be perfect for that. I read the second book, Containment quickly after this one. It gets better. I ...more
Pam
I get books on kindle now and really only buy those that are at least 300 pages. But i bought this because he donated a signed copy for a auction for Zack Mohs..It was kind of cool reading a book where you know all the places, the roads, streets, stores and hospital. Would have gave it a higher rating but it seems all books today are shorter and left open with no ending so they can make book 2,3,4 on and on...i like more books in a series but not if there is really no kind of ending and if the b ...more
Drew
Infection is your run of the mill Zombie book. It has a lot of flesh tearing action, but doesn’t add anything to the genre or some great character to separate itself from other zombie books. Most of the characters are pretty quick to realize what is happening which is the only way they survive, but there is nothing that draws you to these people and many of them aren’t likable. Finally the book doesn’t really resolve anything. It needs to be read as a series so you have to commit to more than on ...more
Laura Battle
Continuity problems, repetitive descriptions and poor character development. Where were the editors?
Scarlett B
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are well developed and the author keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Nikki Finney
This was a great short read that left me, impatiently, waiting for the next installment.
Sean
I gave up on this book after 3 chapters because even though it's a rather brutal zombie story, it felt like it was written for a 10 year old. I'm usually an easy-going guy, but some things aren't meant to be geared towards kids.

At first I thought the writing style was based on the character's focus (the first chapter is from a kid's POV) and would change as other characters were the focus of future chapters, but that didn't turn out to be the case. Even when the focus shifted to an adult in the
Emily Nolan
Re-reading bc I can't remember this book to be able to follow the sequel :X #bookaddiction I like the characters I also like that the kids are part of this. A huge thing I enjoy about this zombie book is that some actually prepare for Zombies! Like in this day in age we wouldn't know what zombies were? I think not! Yes there can be complaints about character development but it's bc this is meant to be a series. So read the next rinse and repeat :D
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This book started off great and then it just stayed dormat. Other than the people trying to evade the zombie-mash, there wasn't much going on between the characters that was dramatic or made for a high climax. Overall though I did enjoy the book and liked the descriptions when the zombies would tear the flesh off their victims.
Ruth
I'm not a huge fan of Zombie stories, but just couldn't resist this one simply because it's set in my home town. It was kind of neat to "follow" the main characters as they made their way thru the story.
Amber
I would have given it 3 stars if the ending was better. I will say that it was engrossing and I wanted to find out what would happen next.
Krystal K.
very conversationally written, quickly draws you in, loads of character development, plus it is based in Anchorage.
William
It was very fast paced and I love it. I want more!!!! Will be buying the second book soon!!!
Robert
Not too bad; I've definitely read better. I'm hoping the next books are an improvement.
Bempa
Very well written with all the appropriate elements. I really liked this book!
David Colenutt
Loved the book, read it in a day because it was so hard to put down
Penny
Meh. Good zombies. Boring characters, bad writing. Problematic.
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Sunrise
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • Mad Swine: The Beginning
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Dying to Live: Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Deluge of the Dead  (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #3)
  • Down the Road: On the Last Day
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • The Hungry (The Hungry #1)
  • Raft People
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Comes the Dark
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • Apocalypse End: Reign of the Dead
  • Plague Zone
Sean Schubert has lived in Anchorage, Alaska since 1993. After earning his degree in English from Wabash college that year, Schubert immediately relocated to Alaska.

It's clear that he enjoys and appreciates his new home. Schubert makes Alaska itself an integral part of his unfolding series. The people of Alaska respond to hardship with equanimity.

Sean Schubert says: "Alaska poses its own set of ch
More about Sean Schubert...

Alaskan Undead Apocalypse (4 books)
  • Containment (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse, #2)
  • Mitigation (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #3)
  • Resolution (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #4)
Containment (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse, #2) Mitigation (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #3) Resolution (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #4) Infection and Containment (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #1-2) Resolution (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse Book 4) (Volume 4)