Great Tales of Horror

Great Tales of Horror

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  894 ratings  ·  40 reviews
H.P. Lovecraft wrote horror stories like no other author before of after him. In the pages of Weird Tales and other pulp-fiction magazines of the 1920s and '30s, Lovecraft pioneered a new type of story that fused the thrills of supernatural horror with the visionary concepts of science fiction. His unique style of cosmic horror revolutionized the modern horror tale through...more
Published 2012 by Fall River Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Great Tales of Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Tales of Horror

Wilum Pugmire
This book collects all of the very best magnificent fiction of H. P. Lovecraft. Strangely, the constant complaint against the stories here at Goodreads is that they are all too similar, but this is absurd--none of these stories resemble each other. "The Colour out of Space" is as unique a tale as is "The Haunter of the Dark," with no similarities, except for excellence in the writing. Lovecraft's weird tales have depths that can never be completely plumbed, and thus one can return to his work ag...more
Jenna
Cthulhu thinks you are a dust mote.

I'm just kidding; Cthulhu doesn't think about you at all.

The joy of reading H.P. Lovecraft's fiction in one giant helping is the clear emergence of his mythology: namely, that from the perspective of the cosmos, the fleeting, cranky species known as homo sapien doesn't even register on the radar. Our mistake is not in believing in the existence in aliens, but believing that we are interesting enough to warrant abduction and extensive probing.

Lovecraft's fict...more
Schmacko
So much has been written about him, and I get that he redefined horror, adding several new mythologies. I don't feel the need to review this in depth.

I will only point out my specific opinion. My issue is that his writing style is florid and thick - not easy on the reader at all. He doesn't provide air, choosing a style with very little dialogue. Many sentences run on. He utilizes LOTS of passive sentences, with multiple dependent and independent clauses. I think he was trying to up the fear by...more
Shital
Nov 28, 2012 Shital marked it as to-read
Shelves: horror, classics
Bargain price for the book at B&N. Had to buy it! Hardcover edition.
Brenda Ayala
Jul 01, 2014 Brenda Ayala is currently reading it
Shelves: classics
Oh, if only the Cthulhu story was just a little longer!!! The one South Park episode where the BP oil spill releases Cthulhu is probably the most screen time he's ever gotten, and I can't wait for him to get more. Lovecraft's original story is dismally short compared to my expectation. Still fantastic, though. The creepiness factor is still evident.

____________________________________________

Ooh, that second story was a good one. The movie Signs was the only thing that actually creeped me out a...more
Carol Storm
I've been a fan of H.P. Lovecraft since I was a teen, but I never bothered to buy a good hardcover edition of his works till I found this one at Barnes & Noble for about $7.99. It was a really good buy!

This edition has short classics like "Cool Air" and "The Statement of Randolph Carter" as well as full-length novella classics like "The Lurking Fear" "At The Mountains of Madness" and "The Dunwich Horror." The introduction is really good too. I just wish there was room for my all time Lovecra...more
Tom
If you have never traveled in the world of H.P. Lovecraft then you owe it to yourself to explore. At the very least travel to Arkham, Massachusetts and visit Miskatonic University's library to read the Necronomicon.

On a serious note, H.P. Lovecraft was gifted with the ability to paint vivid pictures and tell fanciful stories that truly ensnare the reader. While this collection is not an all encompassing one, it is a great way to dip one's toes into the dark waters that is H.P. Lovecraft's world.
Connieb
The Whisperer In Darkness
The Haunter of the Dark
The Shadow out of Time
Joel Lantz
Certainly no easy read, it was well worth the effort. Nobody writes horror like this any more.
David Burke
I have very little experience with Lovecraft, but I know what an influence his work has been on 20th Century Horror, and I have been more and more intrigued to explore his works. This volume has about 20 of his stories, and from the looks, they are the most famous ones. I am excited!

5/13 I am now 1/3rd of the way through this collection of stories. I hope to be done by the end of May, but I am not a fast reader, and Lovecraft doesn't really allow you to skim. That's one thing I am consistently n...more
Lee
Apr 13, 2013 Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
A whole range of novels, novellas, and short stories, all set in the same shared multiverse, impassionately overlooked by immeasurably old gods, and based around a city and its satellite towns in New England? It's not hard to see why Lovecraft is considered a major influence on Stephen King.

Having twenty of Lovecraft's works here in one place is both a blessing and a curse for his writing. As noted above, his fiction does take place in a shared universe and oftentimes the action occurs in or aro...more
Catherine
I read this collection of tales one by one over the course of the last few months; usually one short story each night before bed. Despite my personal enjoyment of Lovecraft's lasting influence on the horror genre as a whole, I do feel obligated to be truthful about what others can expect from his work.

Frankly, if you have read one Lovecraft tale, then you have read them all. There is little to no variation in the core makeup of each and every single story. There never fails to be a male scholar...more
barefoot.julie
Read: "The Call of Cthulhu," "The Colour out of Space," "The Shadow over Innsmouth," "The Whisperer in Darkness," and "The Haunter of the Dark" for book club.

Frankly, I was disappointed. I'm not entirely sure what all the Lovecraft hubbub is about. While the writing is sophisticated, the plots lean toward shallow; each story seems nearly identical to the last, with some character and location swaps. Lovecraft does well at creating near-immediate tension in the reader and sustaining it. However,...more
Kyle Mccall
Certainly nowhere near as good as Poe (who is?), but overall not a bad collection of stories. Would have been better had Lovecraft not used the same set of adjectives in every story. Words like "cyclopean", "eldritch", "fungoid", "foetid" and "daemoniac" are way too unusual to use every other page without the writing becoming a bit repetitive.
Jeanette
Dec 13, 2013 Jeanette is currently reading it
"...the terror that characters (and by extension, the reader) feel when they come to realize the inconceivable horrors that lie in wait just beyond the small, well-lit circle of the familiar world they ahve alwyas known..." (0) // not horror, but true suspense as a genre

"Some said the thunder called the lurking fear out of its habitation, while others said the thunder was its voice." (50)

THE MUSIC OF ERICH ZANN [adapted as a haunting short film by John Strysik] (66) // want to see!

"It isn't so v...more
Nadia
It's weird to review a collection of stories, some of which I loved and some of which I didn't care for, but what I will say is this: it was wonderful to read these tales and feel like I was seeing down to the roots of certain modern fantasy and sci-fi sub-genres. And Lovecraft is one of those authors that occasionally causes one to wince at the racism, which even for his time was excessive.
Caitlyn Paris
Oh Lovecraft,
What can I say that has not already been said?
In my humble opinion this is ,in fact, the best collection of stories in all of horror! Don't get me wrong, I love Poe with a passion! Lovecraft IS horror though, he writes in a way that makes me feel completely sucked in to his twisted universe. Reading this is like entering an extremely well written twilight zone!
Lady
I'm parking Lovecraft for the time-being. In total I read 12 of the 20 stories contained herein and enjoyed what I did read for the most part. My favourite story was without a doubt 'The Colour Out Of Space'. I hope to pick the remaining 8 stories up again in the future, but for now I'm marking this as completed, and lowering my Reading Challenge goal for the year by 12.
Janise Ginel
I loved some of the stories although I will admit that I am more of an Edger Allan Poe fan. H.P. Lovecraft is a classic the stories are amazing. I can't get enough of them but I personally find them a bit dry and dull but it is probably because I don't like science-fiction horror and I'm more of a psychological horror person which is why I like Edger Allan Poe a little more.
Randy
i could not finish this one. its 600 pages of lovecraft, and while the stories are all pretty damn good, it just has not held my interest enough or made me want to sit down with it. i loved the dunwhich horror, and the thing on the doorstep. but i think i am going to have to come back to this one as there are a lot of other books out right now that i am itching to read.
Chloe
The Call of Cthulhu is a must read. I might be the only non-horror fan to read Lovecraft, but I couldn't help enjoying his most famous writing.

And may I suggest reading this aloud.
Jennie
Nov 21, 2013 Jennie marked it as to-read-fiction
Granted, I've only read 3 of the stories so far (including "The Call of Cthulhu"), but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. Lovecraft spends a lot of time describing things that his narrators say are indescribable before they give up in fear of the consequences. Nothing really happens, though: these stories seem to be all adjectives, no verbs.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
DNF just couldn't get into the language limbo from this era.
Josh
Aug 17, 2012 Josh is currently reading it

Great read so far. The Call of Cthulhu, hands down the most captivating story I've ever read. Almost impossible to want to put down, the old English writing makes it a difficult read but well worth it. I'm definitely going to take my time with because of the old writing style.
the writing has been written in a very "claustrophobic" pattern and if there were a small book with a new writing to be made on this edition (for the modern language ) i would say i understand it. however, its not an easy writing and the language is highly unendurable for my ears.
Jodie
May 01, 2013 Jodie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: dark
I didn't read all the stories. Here is a list of the ones I did read and I put an * next to my favorite three.

The Call of Cthulhu
The Music of Erich Zann *
The Dunwich Horror
In the Vault *
the Thing on the Doorstep *
The Dreams in the Witch House
The Rats in the Walls
Tim
Having read most of these short stories in my younger years, it was a real treat to find this huge collection. There are only two or three that I have never read, until picking up this little anthology, but every page is just as thrilling and immersive as I remember them being.
Jackie Daggers
Love the Lovecraft. This is a phenomenal collection of his work, save Herbert West - Reanimator. For me, the best piece in this collection is The Music of Erich Zann. Short, but simply beautiful. If you read nothing else of his, read that.
Andy
This is a great read but it is not quick. I tried reading it as my only book at first, but the constant up and down got boring. It is much better to read with another book, or to read a few stories and then put it away for a bit.
Jacki
Dec 05, 2013 Jacki marked it as to-read
Shelves: adult-fiction
Reading in whatever order I want:

Rats in the Walls
This was the first story I've ever read of HP Lovecraft. And what an introduction! It was haunting and unexpected. I still can't tell if the rats were real or not.
  • The Science Fiction of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Usher's Passing
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Batman Archives, Vol. 1
  • Parasite Eve
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a...more
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu