Charitable Getting

Charitable Getting

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Charity in the twenty-first century is a game. The players are artists, salesmen, and idealists, all working together to get something for nothing. At the center of the game stands Bo Sparks, charismatic CEO of SparkVISION Consulting, which runs campaigns for the charities under its care. Surrounded by the wealthy and the desperate, Sparks just wants to do a little good in...more
ebook
Published October 17th 2011 by Extribulum Press (first published November 1st 2010)

Lesley Hastings
This is an utterly charming novel about the ins and outs of the not-for-profit sector in the 21st century. Ostensibly, the novel centres on SparkVISION, a company specialising in PR for not-for-profit agencies, and the way that it's employees become embroiled in the mystery surrounding the identity of "Non-Prophet", a peseudonymous blogger whose incisive insights into the not-for-prophet world antagonises the producers of traditional print media. Things come to a head when SparkVISION falls afou...more
Priscilla
My first book of 2012!

"Charitable Getting" is the first non-fanfic fiction I've read from Sam, and I really enjoyed it! Sam has a gift for writing complex, likeable characters.

I suspect anyone with passing familiarity with Sam's blog will have no difficulty sussing out the big reveal from the first mention of the mystery, but I nevertheless enjoyed the chase. I look forward to reading more from him.
Caitlin
Available for free online. (One such place is at http://extribulum.wordpress.com/free-...)

This story follows the workers at a charity consulting company called SparkVISION. They help charities rebrand themselves, do ad campaigns, run damage control, etc. Because they're working for charities, it's very important that they earn their money, and many of them are doing their work more for the love of it than their pay--they're a small group, often over-worked and hassled. And yet they're a tight-kn...more
erforscherin
(3.5 of 5 stars)

A quick read for a lazy day, and a reasonably entertaining read at that, though there's little here which feels particularly memorable in the long-term - (view spoiler)

As is Starbuck's skill, the banter between the characters flows smoothly as always, and frankly Bo Sparks has eno...more
Anna Marie
A fun and entertaining read about some serious issues in the not-for-profit world of SparksVISION a PR company for charities. The characters are believable but quirky, for instance the new interns get to go through the Sarah "gauntlet" guaranteed to make some of them cry and run away in terror and the members of SparksVISION place bets on the outcome.
Oh_no_not_now
Completely charming, but left me feeling as if I hadn't really read anything when I was done. I love Sam Starbuck, though, and his style is really a treat.
Alison Ross
Alison Ross marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Alden
Alden marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Chaifanatic
Chaifanatic marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Amy Fuller
Amy Fuller marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Anna
Anna added it
May 15, 2013
Mac
Mac marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Sam is a corporate samurai, blogger, and former theatre punk who lives and works in Chicago, Illinois.

Secretly, he is a Time Lord.

He writes literary fiction, magical realism in specific, as well as steampunk-oriented fantasy, the occasional satire (he can quit any time he likes) and sometimes even fanfic.
More about Sam Starbuck...
Nameless The Dead Isle Trace The City War (Warriors of Rome, #3) Other People Can Smell You