Start by marking “Charitable Getting” as Want to Read:
Charitable Getting

Charitable Getting

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Charity in the twenty-first century is a game. The players are artists, salesmen, and idealists, all working together to get something for nothing. At the center of the game stands Bo Sparks, charismatic CEO of SparkVISION Consulting, which runs campaigns for the charities under its care. Surrounded by the wealthy and the desperate, Sparks just wants to do a little good in ...more
ebook
Published October 17th 2011 by Extribulum Press (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Charitable Getting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charitable Getting

Lesley Hastings
This is an utterly charming novel about the ins and outs of the not-for-profit sector in the 21st century. Ostensibly, the novel centres on SparkVISION, a company specialising in PR for not-for-profit agencies, and the way that it's employees become embroiled in the mystery surrounding the identity of "Non-Prophet", a peseudonymous blogger whose incisive insights into the not-for-prophet world antagonises the producers of traditional print media. Things come to a head when SparkVISION falls afou ...more
Priscilla
Jan 01, 2012 Priscilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book of 2012!

"Charitable Getting" is the first non-fanfic fiction I've read from Sam, and I really enjoyed it! Sam has a gift for writing complex, likeable characters.

I suspect anyone with passing familiarity with Sam's blog will have no difficulty sussing out the big reveal from the first mention of the mystery, but I nevertheless enjoyed the chase. I look forward to reading more from him.
Caitlin
Dec 27, 2013 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Available for free online. (One such place is at http://extribulum.wordpress.com/free-...)

This story follows the workers at a charity consulting company called SparkVISION. They help charities rebrand themselves, do ad campaigns, run damage control, etc. Because they're working for charities, it's very important that they earn their money, and many of them are doing their work more for the love of it than their pay--they're a small group, often over-worked and hassled. And yet they're a tight-kn
erforscherin
A quick read for a lazy day, and a reasonably entertaining read at that, though there's little here which feels particularly memorable in the long-term - (view spoiler)

As is Starbuck's skill, the banter between the characters flows smoothly as always, and frankly Bo Sparks has enough charisma to
Anna Marie
Dec 31, 2013 Anna Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A fun and entertaining read about some serious issues in the not-for-profit world of SparksVISION a PR company for charities. The characters are believable but quirky, for instance the new interns get to go through the Sarah "gauntlet" guaranteed to make some of them cry and run away in terror and the members of SparksVISION place bets on the outcome.
Anna
Feb 02, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a joy to read; having intended to read it for years, I finally picked it up to distract myself from my own life and found myself thoroughly and pleasantly swept away. Perfectly-paced, witty, warm, and thoughtful, full of delightful, ridiculous characters I wish I knew, I would recommend this to anyone: it's worth it.
Oh_no_not_now
Sep 01, 2012 Oh_no_not_now rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely charming, but left me feeling as if I hadn't really read anything when I was done. I love Sam Starbuck, though, and his style is really a treat.
Meg
Meg is currently reading it
May 27, 2016
Nandini
Nandini rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Xenia
Xenia marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Inês
Inês marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Chahrazed
Chahrazed rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Sol
Sol rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Jenn Walker
Jenn Walker rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Nepreading
Nepreading marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Silvain
Silvain rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Charity
Charity rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
S. H.
S. H. rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Alina
Alina rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Ngaio
Ngaio rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Luce1980
Luce1980 rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Nine
Nine added it
Jul 13, 2014
Ania
Ania rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Boss W.
Boss W. marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Alison Ross
Alison Ross marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sam is a corporate samurai, blogger, and former theatre punk who lives and works in Chicago, Illinois.

Secretly, he is a Time Lord.

He writes literary fiction, magical realism in specific, as well as steampunk-oriented fantasy, the occasional satire (he can quit any time he likes) and sometimes even fanfic.
More about Sam Starbuck...