Start by marking “Murder in Store” as Want to Read:
Murder in Store

Murder in Store (Quint McCauley #1)

Preston Hauser, owner of a famous department store, asks his head of security, Quint McCauley, to investigate some threatening letters he has received. No sooner does Quint take on the job, than Preston is poisoned by one of his own vitamin pills. With Quint looking on. Suspicion falls on Hauser's young wife, Diana, but Quint quickly learns she's not the only one who might ...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Store, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Store

Britney

This book caught me by surprise. It has been on my TBR for years. Glad I read it.

Quintus McCauley is a former police officer who now does security at a high end department store in Chicago. His boss asks him to look into some letters he's got.

I liked that the protagonist is a male. Quint was a very likeable character. He's level headed and doesn't get upset even when people accuse him of murder. He has a way getting information out of people without coming off as a douche.

The story mo
Francis
Jan 14, 2015 Francis rated it liked it
Lets start with the detective. Middle-aged, a touch cynical, not very successful (he is a detective, right?), not bad with the one-liners, ladies like him and he is kind of a likeable kind of guy. Let me add, not to serious, not particularly ambitious, willing to admit his mistakes, loyal. (If you were a dog or cat you would want this guy to own you.) So what's unusual about him? Well for one thing he is a Department Store detective and this story takes place in modern times.

Other characters, tr
Jaret
Jan 27, 2013 Jaret rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-star-books
I really liked this cozy mystery. It was different from other cozies I have read before. This one starred a male lead and I'm used to the female perspective in a cozy. The mystery was interesting and I liked the way the lead character, Quint handled situations. He was an unambitious man who had a laidback view of the world. I enjoyed seeing him forced into action. I would have liked a little more resolution to the end of the story simply because I want to know where Quint's life will take him ne ...more
Linda
May 01, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quint McCauley, head of security at a major Chicago store, has to deal with the wife of the owner, who delights in shop-lifting in her own store. When called into Preston Hauser's office, he thinks it's because of Preston's wife, Diana. However, Preston has been receiving threatening notes, and he wants Quint to investigate, on the QT. Shortly thereafter, Preston drops dead, in Quint's presence, from a poisoned vitamin pill. Quint decided to continue the hunt for the note-sender, and hopefully, ...more
Donald
Jun 01, 2008 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first novel (of five) for D.C. Brod's policeman-turned store detective-turned private investigator Quint McCauley. What sets this novel apart from the run of usual detective stories is the graceful quality of the prose, the tender building of character, and the gritty, compelling setting. I admit I'm prone to like Chicago stories, but more often find greater fault in the detail because I'm partial to and knowledgeable of the city. I admired and enjoyed the atmospheric detail in this ...more
Johnny
May 04, 2013 Johnny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
A very decent whodunnit, a classic style story which reminded me of the old tv shows like "Matlock", "Murder, she wrote", "Father Downing", etc. A very likeable main character, extra characters were good too. The only reason I'm not giving it more than three stars is that I had a problem with the dialogues. I don't know whether I just had a faulty copy or something, but I got confused who was saying what when sentences said by two different people were standing side by side in the same paragraph ...more
Nancy Rogan
Jul 31, 2013 Nancy Rogan rated it it was amazing
This is another older mystery and it's a winner. The writing flows smoothly with natural dialogue and there were a few twists along the way. I love the protagonist - an ex-cop turned department store security head. He is funny and smart and very likeable. The only thing that's not appealing about the older mysteries I've been reading is that everybody smokes! Quite a contrast to current writers who seldom (but occasionally) have good guys who smoke. I'll be looking at the library for another one ...more
Anne Huddleston
Oct 06, 2015 Anne Huddleston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable characters

Good read with a plot that keeps changing direction. Main characters were fairly well developed. Some parts of the plot felt more like filler than a necessary part of the story. The ending came together quickly and left interest in what the future holds for the main characters.
Amanda
Jan 29, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a very odd tone. It seemed like it wanted to have a noir feel to it, but then the author realized they couldn't pull it off. It was written in 1993, but had more of a 20s to 50s feel to the setting and the characters. It certainly wasn't the most horribly written thing I've ever read, but I found it tough to mesh the tone it seemed to want with the tone it achieved.
Debra
Dec 25, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
This book kept me guessing and it took me most of the story to figure out "whodunit". I found myself rooting for McCauley more than once. I will be reading more in this series and any others D.C. Brod writes.
Beverly Mccarter
it was an ok read not something I would usually read but, I got through it.U get what U pay for FREE. Not a bad read also not a page turner. I just wanted to know WHO DUN NIT? So my curosity wouldn't let me put it down. Eventho I read 3 books before I finish this one and started this one first.
Joseph W. Dobrowolski
A nice easy read.

I read a chapter or two when I have the
time. The plot is easy to follow and uncomplicated. It took me several weeks to finish reading this book, with no trouble following the plot.
Jane
Mar 12, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
A fun read.
Mary
Apr 03, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
quirky and fun- a lot of characters and motives to keep up with, but I'll probably read another in the series.
Adrienne
Feb 13, 2012 Adrienne rated it liked it
This was an easy read. Nothing special, but it kept my interest on the elliptical and made my workouts bearable.
Lillie
There are plenty of murder suspects among the staff and owners of a department store.
Marilyn
Jan 31, 2012 Marilyn rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story. It reminded me of the 1930s/40s detective movies. You could almost hear him as he talked over the action in the movie. I will read more of this series.
Therese
Jan 28, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
$0.0 regularly $9.99
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Brenda Abbott
Brenda Abbott rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
May 25, 2012
Dean Prosser
Dean Prosser rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Jenn Ravey
Jenn Ravey rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Anne Harris
Anne Harris rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
  • Murder Over Easy
  • Gifted Apprentice
  • Pets in a Pickle
  • Double Exposure
  • Chosen (Line of Descent #1)
  • Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist (Dotsy Lamb, #1)
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Fever Moon
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • As a Decade Fades
  • Gypsy Moon
  • She's Me
  • Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1)
  • Antiques Bizarre (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #4)
  • Prophecy (Slave Empire, #1)
  • Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater
  • Before Dawn (The Hunters, #1)
  • Absolutely Organize Your Family
DC Brod, author of Getting Lucky, has written fiction most of her life, but didn't think she had a novel in her until she graduated from Nothern Illinois University with an MA in journalism. It was then that she decided if she could spend 120 pages discussing postal oppression of the radical press, she could write a novel. She was right.

"Caper fans will relish Brod's offbeat stand-alone thriller.
More about D.C. Brod...