Start by marking “The Accidental Senator” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Senator
Read eBook* *Different edition

The Accidental Senator (The Accidental President Trilogy #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  38 reviews
No-nonsense, smart and apolitical Dr. Abby Adams reluctantly fills her late sister's Senate seat for a few months. She must learn to groom and dress herself as a woman of power in a subtle and even sinister Senate.

She has her unusually tight family in her corner. Regina Temple, the African American woman who became her guardian when the sisters were orphaned, and her neph
Published (first published September 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Senator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Senator

Sara
Aug 07, 2012 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Deb
Shelves: 2012, adult-fiction
Before Abby's sister, a long-serving Senator, dies, she makes the governor promise to appoint Abby to serve out her term, which comes as a shock to Abby. Abby's actually a doctor but is okay with filling her sister's shoes for the remaining months in her term, as she does well under pressure and thinks she can make her sister proud. Along the way, she learns the tricky political ropes and how to navigate the DC scene, how to make things happen in a land where lots of talking - and sometimes noth ...more
Sheila
I expected a political satire. I got something much deeper, much more convincing and interesting, entertaining, and even thought-provoking when I read Dixie Swanson’s The Accidental Senator.

The story opens with one sister caring for the other as the ravages of cancer bring once-active life to a slow, quiet close. The grieving family with its mixed backgrounds, races and interests, fascinates the reader without ever seeming forced. Food is real and comforting. Clothes and shoes contrive to be int
Heidi
I loved this book! Abigail is the kind of person we all want to have working in the government. She didn't ask for the job and because she promised not to run for office she isn't making her decisions based on what will get her re-elected. She does what she feels is right and sticks with it. She doesn't let the loser politicians push her around and takes her job seriously, even though she is only in office because her sister died and designated Abby to finish out the rest of her term.

I found mys
Kelli
This is an AMAZING book. I absolutely loved every minute of reading it. This book has the most wonderful descriptions- I felt like I was reading Jane Austen or Charles Dickens. The story is excellent. It has something for everyone. I loved the rich tones of family life mixed in with the story of politics. It's nice to read a story about a politician who is in it for the people rather than it for herself. The main character, Abby, was someone I could relate to. I think my favorite character was R ...more
Efox
I won this book through the goodreads first reads program. It was exactly as promised: a fun, fast read.

The book is clearly the start of a much longer story. The heroine, is a doctor whose Senator sister is dying from cancer. When she passes, she asks that her sister is appointed to serve out her term. Dr. Abigail Adams (I know!) becomes Senator Adams and has a series of Senate adventures, including an overseas trip with a twist and a driving a wedge between herself and a prominent Secretary. I
Lynda Esparza
Abby reminds me of our current president in some ways, neither one of them understood how Washington and politics work, but both soon found out. The medical part was very well written and very compelling. The whole book just drew me in. I love how the author writes and I cannot wait for the next book in the trilogy.
Patricia
Terry Crawford Palardy
Dixie Swanson's Political Fable Begins

The Accidental Senator by Dixie Swanson

This book is the beginning of a series of books, collectively called A Political Fable. The author, Dixie Swanson, writes regularly in her blog, using an a-partisan style. Siding neither with the ruling party nor with the underdog, Dixie sides with "we, the people." As a former history teacher I strove daily to bring my lesson back to a reference point, back to the present, and to we, the people who are living in this
Dixie Swanson
Feb 28, 2012 Dixie Swanson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I'm biased. I wrote it!

Here's what others have said:

Oprah's First Book Club Author, Jacquelyn Mitchard, said:
"In The Accidental Senator, Dixie Swanson imagines the snake pit of insider politicls with savvy, snap and an uncommon freshness. Despite their eerie familiarity, her characters feel very real. We might have met them before, wearing the scarlet skirt and scarlet tie of power gone rogue."

"You had me at the root beer float." Rose Graham, Libararian, Rice University (ret.)

"
Kai
With the passing of her sister Priscilla Adams Logan, Abigail Adams is appointed to serve the rest of Priscilla's unserved term as Senator of Texas. Much to Abigail, who is a medical doctor, being a Senator is not what she expected to be. Appearances make a big impression to the public. One wrong sentence will have the media buzzing. Even those who work and are closed to her could be her saboteur. Most important concept is that "no good deeds go unpunished".

The Accidental Senator provides the r
Jeepster
Jennifer R  Ricketts
I won this book for free from the giveaways here on Goodreads. This typically isn't the kind of book I normally would choose to read--if I had seen this at a bookstore, I probably wouldn't have even picked it up to read what it was about. Ultimately, I decided to just go for it and try something different.

This book was a fun, fast read with likable characters, especially the main character, Dr. Abby Adams, though I felt I didn't get to see enough of their depth. I did enjoy Abby's spunk; she is
David Ketelsen
I received this book free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I really enjoyed the book and heartily recommend it for others. The characters are strongly delineated and they quickly grabbed my interest. Dixie Swanson's eye for detail and ear for dialog are quite good. Her early chapters dealing with Priscilla Adams, the main character's sister, and her fight with cancer were particularly effective. Abigail Adams's character as a sister, doctor, and woman are well established here and that i
Deb
The characters are interesting and the sentences flow smoothly, but what I found myself staying up late into the night to read more of were the details.

Details of caring for a dying sister.
Details of preparing oneself for the publicity of a nation grieving.
Details of handling the politics of becoming a United States senator.

Abigail Adams, the main character of The Accidental Senator, manages all of these details in an efficient and clever manner. She's a woman worth rooting for.

Almost as interes
Crystal
There are a few words and phrases I really don’t like running across in a book, to me they are nails on a chalk board. One of those words is “Ditto” and it showed up repeatedly in this book. I’ll admit it drove me crazy.

This book is not meant to be realistic, plus because of the title you pretty much know how it’s going to end, so really the point of the book is to get lost in a fairytale story. I found that hard to do with this book. While I really enjoyed the idea behind the story as a whole i
Claire
I got this free as a First Reads. It was another one where I really wish I could give half stars. I was torn between 3 and 4. There were areas where the writing felt a little weak and underdeveloped, particularly when it was supposed to be highlighting how inspiring the main character was supposed to be be. In addition, sometimes I felt that the details and timelines probably had a better flow in the author's head than they did on paper. That said, however, I found the book to be a fun, if predi ...more
Meghan Green
First of all I'd like to thank the giveaways section for the opportunity to read this book, I don't think I would have known of its existence otherwise.

This book though I feel was very... fluid. And though that is a good thing, when it is too present, however it seems like everything's perfectly timed, with no "roadblocks" in the plot or anything. As soon as she got somewhere, something else happened immediately. If you like that kind of book then go for it!

Overall I think I would read the seco
Jasmyn
If you can look past the few flaws in the political structure (which the writing made very easy) then this book is fantastic. Who would have thought that someone who had no intention of ever being involved in politics could cause such a storm without even trying. The characters were charming and memorable. The ending was great and leaves you somewhat satisfied, while still wanting to read more - it's hard to find a satisfying cliffhanger and Dixie Swanson nailed it. I hope I have a chance to rea ...more
Tracey Farley
I was happily surprised with this novel! I won the book in the Goodreads giveaway. Swanson developed a strong female protagonist. Adams is an intelligent, empathetic, educated female who doesn't seem to take any nonsense from other characters. The plot had some unexpected turns in the story which included some heartfelt moments. I highly recommend the read. There was some difficulty in putting the book down to get some sleep at night! I most definitely plan on purchasing the next novel in the de ...more
Nancy
If you want a fun read with a different look at inside politics, this is one of my favorite books. It's not about the Parties (after reading all three of her books I still don't know which direction her politics lean). It was entertaining and I enjoyed all the characters. I even had an opportunity to email the author and found her delightful.
Arjun
A pretty fun read, overall. My only big complaint is that things are "too easy" for the protagonist, but that can certainly be nice at times. Especially after reading novels in A Song of Ice and Fire. I intend to read the rest of the trilogy, because there are some definite loose ends, apart from the cliffhanger, that I'd love to see resolved, particularly the story surrounding the ex-Secretary of Defence. The last few chapters reminded me of The West Wing. This is a compliment!
Geri
I hate reading about politics and anything to do with Washington D.C. So why did I read this book. Because Dixie Swanson is my favorite kind of author. She took a subject I hate and wrote an interesting and enjoyable story. She made her characters so real that I cared about everything that was happening to them. I tried to read as slow as I could to make the book last as long as possible. I didn't want it to end. I got this book free through Goodreads First Reads.
Julie
I received a copy of the Accidental Senator through a goodreads giveaway. The book offers an inside look into the world of politics through an interesting plot. Abigail Adams, is appointed to fill a seat in the senate after her sister dies. It is a true fish out of water story that brings to mind- Mr Smith Goes to Washington. I appreciate the chance to get to read this book and am planning to read the second...
Shannon Lovejoy
I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Great book! It is an easy read and very enjoyable. The characters are believable and scenes are described with enough detail to envision them but without wordiness that'll lull the reader to sleep. Looking forward to the next book in this trilogy!
Glenda L
I really enjoyed this book. The author seems to have a handle on Washington politics and being a doctor ... putting the two together makes for a great tale. This is a novel you can't put down until the last page ... and then you wish is wasn't over. I can't wait to read the Accidental President.
Shelby
This was a fairly enjoyable adventure story, with the usual elements. I did feel at the end that I did not "know" the characters as well as I would like, but overall the book delivered the type of story that kept me interested. I look forward to reading more by this author. I won this book from goodreads.
Glenda L
I really liked this book ... the author has a good handle on all things Washington. I have read The Accidental President and it is equally as good in content ... can't wait to read the third installment. This is about a lady through circumstances became Senator and then became President.
Ellie Revert
Enjoyed this--will look for the next one. Hadn't remembered the succession plan of our government--great reminder. (nook)

Brent has just reread Irving Wallace's book, The Man, which covered this ground 40+ years ago---and brilliantly at that---I'll reread it too. It's on our Nooks.
Jeannie
I won this book on Goodreads but I will go out and purchase the 2nd book today. I could not put it down. I wish everyone in Washington had the heart and intelligence of Abby. The world would be a better place.
Rick Kenoyer
I was plesantly surprised with this story. I won it as a free Goodreads giveway, and I highly recommend it. Swason's characters are unique and very imaginable. Can't wait to read next book.
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • Women and Other Monsters
  • Oxford Messed Up
  • Rizzo's Daughter (Joe Rizzo, #3)
  • Alexios, Before Dying ( Complete Books of Alexios)
  • Double Daggers
  • Wanted: Gentleman Bank Robber: The True Story of Leslie Ibsen Rogge, One of the FBI's Most Elusive Criminals
  • Visions of You
  • Treasure of Egypt: Treasure of the Ancients
  • The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross, #3)
  • Black Oil, Red Blood
  • First You Try Everything: A Novel
  • Myth Man
  • One on One: Behind the Scenes with the Greats in the Game
  • To Remember Love, Two Promises That Led Me to the Notes in the Ashes
  • Make It Happen, A Healthy, Competitive Approach to Achieving Personal Success (3 Off the Tee, #2)
  • Bryan's Brain: Volume I
  • Running of the Bride: My Frenzied Quest to Tie the Knot, Tear Up the Dance Floor, and Figure Out Why My 15 Minutes of Fame Included Commercial Breaks
I read like you breathe and after nearly a lifetime of inhaling books, it is time for me to write a few.

I'm a native Texan, but have lived in Washington, D.C. where I worked for a very influential lobbyist. then I went to Boston for four years, returning to Texas after that. We try to spend the summers in Maine.

I had two successful careers as a pediatrician and a television health reporter (and
More about Dixie Swanson...

The Accidental President Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Accidental President, Volume 2 in the Accidental President Trilogy: A Political Fable for Our Time
  • The Accidental President Returns (Vol. 3 of 3 in The Accidental President Trilogy)
The Accidental President, Volume 2 in the Accidental President Trilogy: A Political Fable for Our Time The Accidental President Returns (Vol. 3 of 3 in The Accidental President Trilogy) The Accidental President (The Accidental President Trilogy) The Accidental Senator