Start by marking “Admiral Nimitz” as Want to Read:
Admiral Nimitz

Admiral Nimitz

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Chester Nimitz was an admiral’s Admiral, considered by many to be the greatest naval leader of the last century. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Nimitz assembled the forces, selected the leaders, and - as commander of all U.S. and Allied air, land, and sea forces in the Pacific Ocean - led the charge one island at a time, one battle at a time, toward victory. A brilliant ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Admiral Nimitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Admiral Nimitz

Darrell
Admiral Nimitz is my favorite leader of WWII. His leadership was key to the U.S. success in the defeat of Japan. The area of his command was vast and spread out against a superior naval enemy. He was able to facilitate key victories like Midway and Leyte Gulf. He also had the ability to facilitate his command with other, more boisterous commanders, like MacArthur, Halsey and King to achieve his goals.
After the war, he was also played a key role in the current military structure including help
Thomas
I got this book free from the Goodreads give away program. I felt it was an excellent story of an humble man. Admiral Nimitz was not one to seek the lime light. He was a true leader of men. He valued his men and demonstrated that to them. I am a WWII buff and this book had a little different approach to the history of that time. It was more about Naval history, strategies of the pacific war and the huge military egos involved. It addressed the infighting between the men in Washington DC and the ...more
Doug
I enjoyed this book. I have read MANY different books about WWII and specifically the Pacific Theater. None of them have really addresses the man behind the plan. If you are looking for details of the battles and ships, this is not your book. If, however, you would like to learn more about the character of Adm. Nimitz, this book does a VERY good job, by using stories and dialog from his life. An enjoyable read.
Daniel
Brayton Harris's biography of Chester Nimitiz is a short (213 pages) and easy read about the man who headed American naval efforts in the Pacific during World War II. Harris has a clean and expressive writing style and favors the anecdote in describing Nimitz's impressive career. Particularly interesting were stories about Nimitz's time as a young officer in the Philippines (where his XO was John S. ("Slew") McCain) and his time, following WWII, as Chief of Naval Operations.[return][return]The b ...more
Jon
I thought it was well-written but too short. It seemed Harris was in a hurry with some of the more potentially interesting stories about Nimitz that could have been told with more depth. Nonetheless, I learned more insights into this man that I share a bloodline with and felt that Harris served him well. My only issue is that I think he deserves more coverage but appreciate his story being told once more in these contemporary times. Nimitz is a study in magnanimity and humility with a careful do ...more
Pei-jean Lu
Compelling biography of the naval commander in charge of America's pacific fleet
Lee
There were times when things were a bit dull, but Admiral Nimitz did not leave the autobiography or notes of his life for the world to know who he was. He was determined people understand that HE didn't win the war - the men on the front lines did. There was no need for a lot of brouhaha about him. It should all go to the soldiers, sailors, marines, pilots, and their teammates. He was a true class act, and I'm glad the author was determined to get that point across.
Cheryl
Beautiful. I love our armed forces. I'm learning to love history.

I probably learned more about World War II in this one book than I did in all of my high school career. That probably sounds terrible, but I didn't enjoy history at all. I loathed history. Harris took a subject I didn't like and made it interesting for a good 256 pages. War strategies. Anecdotes. Photographs. It's wonderful.
Alex McCabe
The book reads a bit like a story of WWII where Nimitz is the main character and commenting on the events. Would have enjoyed more analysis of the events and less mundane details and anecdotes from Nimitz's side. A good read, especially for someone who isn't a hardcore WWII buff, but I'd skip it in favor of the E.B. Potter biography if you get the chance.
David
A workmanlike, well-researched portrait of a genuine American naval legend. Harris is a better scholar than writer, but the book moves along nicely in chronological order and gives the reader some insight into the political intrigues that define military life at the highest levels.

Some nice shots at MacArthur, too.
Lee
An easy, quick read. It was strong on personal anecdotes, even winkling out rare occasions in which Nimitz let slip some frustrations with his colleagues in the high command.

There was a running theme of press relations through it, which I have not seen many places.

Preston
A decent book that gave a pretty good insight on the life of Nimitz. It was a little boring at times and the author would sometimes incorrectly use words to try to appear eloquent in his writing so that was somewhat irritating.
Marilyn Willis
Interesting book. I don't know much about the Military and I learned a lot by reading this book. Adm. Nimitz was a really good guy and very smart.
Sharon Worsnup
Won a copy through Goodreads' First Reads program.

Superb biography of a down to earth hero who could have been your neighbor.
Rob
If you are a Navy veteran, this book is a must; excellent read!
Shaunessy Mckay
Shaunessy Mckay marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Jill Kaigler
Jill Kaigler marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
John
John added it
Mar 05, 2015
NR Pitaro
NR Pitaro marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Miguel A.
Miguel A. marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Peter Strupp
Peter Strupp marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Navy Times Book of Submarines: A Political, Social, and Military History Blue & Grey in Black & White: Newspapers in the Civil War WAR NEWS: Blue & Gray in Black & White: Newspapers in the Civil War SPECIAL: The Wartime Journals, Dispatches & Selected Correspondence of KIRKPATRICK WEST, Special Correspondent of the New York Record, I1861-1865. - 2012 ABNA Entry Picture.Book