Last Summer

Last Summer

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  422 ratings  ·  84 reviews

Jane always felt l...more
Published June 26th 2012 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Last Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Summer

Trisha
In the last 10 years I can name the 3 books that I have put down without finishing, thi si one of them. It was difficult to get into, I didn't like the characters, I found the writing style confusing. I don't mind an Author focusing on a character per chapter but she started with one ended with another, sometimes it was a journal entry. I did not like this book.
Jessica
From the looks of the cover, I thought this book was going to be a nice beach read about a family or relationships. Needless to say, you really shouldn't judge books by their covers. This book ended up being a really serious story about a girl who is bullied and how her family deals with the aftermath.

Bullying has been a popular topic to write about, just like Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti, and it's definitely a very serious topic. In this story, Rose and Meg are best friends until Meg sp...more
Sandra
I really had trouble getting through this book and only kept reading to see if the girls that bullied Rosie felt any remorse or regret.
The book is supposed to take place in modern times, but it read as being from an earlier decade. I don't really know why I felt this, but it just didn't seem like Rosie and Meg were actually like any 14 yr old girls I knew or know.
I found the writing to be confusing, the story is told from the viewpoints of Rosie, her mother, Meg and her mother. I was confused...more
Erin
I am giving this book two stars because it was easily read in an afternoon, but it was a pretty bland and stereotypical account of one of today's hot topics, bullying. First, this book is the afterwards..we don't see what rosie goes through, we just hear about it afterwards in diary entries as Rosie struggles with whether or not she should fogive her best friend for spilling the scret that she was a bed-wetter until fifth grade. Really???? In high school this would bother you that much? There wa...more
Megan
This was a slow read. I turned to my mother, who read it before me, and said about halfway through, "Is there a huge twist coming up?" Her negative response and look told me she felt the same way I did about the novel. It was just plain. There was not some huge breakthrough; I thought it was a bit flat.
Cindy
I recieved this book from a giveaway.

Last Summer deals with bullying. Rosie's best friend, Meg, is tired of seeing her get bullied and not do anything about it. One day, Meg sees the group of girls that bully Rosie and, unbelievably, decides to tell them Rosie's biggest secret. The next day, everyone in school knows. Rosie is humiliated and stops going to school. She even goes as far as cutting herself. Now Rosie has to see a therapist every week. She is being told that, in order to cope with ev...more
Sharon
Last Summer has an interesting plotline. Two women, Jane and Frannie, are best friends and next-door neighbors. Their 14-year old daughters, Rosie and Meg, are also best friends since toddlerhood. When Rosie becomes the victim of bullying at school, things dramatically change in an instant. Meg betrays Rosie by revealing an embarassing secret to the bullies. The book shows how this incident effects not only Rosie and Meg, but all their family members.

I found Rosie to be really annoying - too swe...more
Seana
I would give this book zero stars if I could. Seriously one of the worst books I've ever read. EVER. A very lame lecture poorly disguised as a novel. Total garbage. Don't waste your time. Ugh. Oh, and NOBODY talks like the characters in this book. Not moms, not dads, and especially not teenagers. Brutal read.
Montserrat Bouvier

Was fooled by the cover: thought it would be a light summer read but turned out to be about a serious and sad issue...bullying. Even though the message is strong, the characters were weak and the storyline not compelling. A disappointment.
Anne
Felt way too much like author wanted to show off the research she did on bullying. Multiple characters quoting the same article while thinking to themselves felt forced and awkward. Dialog between the teens was super-stilted. Not a fan.
Darleen
i hated the whiney, self righteaus (sp?), boring, crazy mother in this book, so it ruined the entire book for me. the book was written almost in a juvinile tone........i went back to make sure it was an adult novel......
Mindy
Since I have nothing nice to say about this book, I am going to say nothing at all. :( Except, thank heavens it came from the Library and I didn't actually buy it!
Amanda Hughes
I kept waiting for something exciting to happen in the book and it never did. You only hear about the bullying after the fact. Not a winner for me.
Jill Heather
It's a message book, with very overt messages and filled with infodumps. If I wanted to read what google said about bullying, I would use google myself.
Amy
Last Summer by Holly Chamberlain deals with bullying and a best friend’s betrayal. Childhood friends Rosie and Meg grew up like sisters until Meg’s betrayal caused a division not only of the two but tore apart their families. Bullying is a central theme and if you stand aside are you condoning the bullying or protecting yourself? The terrifying examination of the social issue through a child’s eyes is haunting as with each page, her fragile life slips away. Only when forced to confront the issue...more
Tammy
Horrible. It read like an anti bullying brochure mixed with an after school special.
Dee Scocos
Read over half of book & could not finish. Too preachy !
Kelsey
Rosie Patterson is the target of a bullying campaign at her school. What starts as just teasing from a group of girls, turns into full on abuse. The ultimate betrayal that Rosie receives is her best friend and next door neighbor, Meg Giroux, lets slip a big secret that is used to humiliate Rosie in front of the entire school. This pushes Rosie over the edge and into a downward spiral and ends with self-mutilation. The aftermath ends up tearing apart not only Rosie’s family but also Meg’s. Both f...more
WifeMomKnitter
From the book synopsis:

"The town of Yorktide, close to Maine’s beautiful beaches and the city of Portland, seems like the perfect place to raise a family. For Jane Patterson, there’s another advantage: her best friend, Frannie Giroux, lives next door, and their teenaged daughters, Rosie and Meg, are inseparable. But in the girls’ freshman year of high school, everything changes.

Jane always felt lucky that she was able to work from home, to be there to nurture and protect Rosie. But has she been
Corey
Megan
Maggie
Last Summer features Rosie, a teenager who's been bullied severely, cut herself, and pushed over the edge by the betrayal of her best friend, Meg. Jane is Rosie's mother, and feels guilty knowing the way Rosie was raised--sheltered and over-protected--was to blame for her inability to stand up for herself. Meg is trying to understand why Rosie won't forgive her after all of the apologies and countless attempts to fix her mistake. She is figuring out what she's going to do this summer without Ros...more
Heather
Rosie Patterson Meg Gireux are best friends and neither see's what is about to happen during their 9th grade year. Rosie becomes the target of some bullies. These girls had never paid attention to her before but this year is different. The girl leading the group is Mackenzie Egan and she is out to make Rosie's life hell. As Rosie is bullied the emotional and physical toll reeks havoc on her friendship with Meg and her life in general. Then Meg does the unthinkable and betrays a most sacred trust...more
Judy
Last summer – A Read To Remember!

This novel centers on The Patterson family and The Giroux family; especially the mothers and daughters. Have the events in this story destroyed the relationship between the families? I hope you get a chance to read this book and find out for yourself.

Rosie Patterson and Meg Giroux have been best friends for a long time. They have lived next door to each other for years. Jane Patterson and Frannie Giroux also have been best friends for a long time too.

Over the yea...more
Kristen
I really wanted to like this novel. Unfortunately, it was a struggle for me to finish this book. The characters felt flat and the plot was in-existent. Much of the story took place in the past and is being told to the readers through diary entries. Personally, I really dislike when authors use diary entries in stories; it rarely works. It only seems to work when the diary reveals lies that have been told, what a non-main character thinks, or is about the life of a related character that was aliv...more
Amanda
I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.

I consider this book to be an easy "beach read." The book tackles bullying, which is so prevalent in the media right now. Fourteen year old Rosie is bullied at school and loses her best friend, Meg, when she spills Rosie's biggest secret to the bullies. Rosie's over-protective mother, Jane, shuns her best friend (Meg's mother), Frannie, in retaliation. I liked how this book showed that bullying affects everyone around the v...more
Julie Barrett
LAST SUMMER Holly Chamberlin
This is a story about bullying and it's everywhere these days. The grandmother bus monitor in NY was bullied and when others found out, via YouTube, people around the world donated money for her and her cause to stop bullying.
Rosie and her family, mom and dad live next door to Meg and her younger brother and parents.
Rosie and Meg are lifetime friends but Meg to fit in socially at school told another female Rosie's secret and then everybody in school knew and everybody...more
Joo Young
Despite some of the low ratings on this book, I actually enjoyed it more than I originally thought I would. This book highlights the topic of bullying and the way the story is laid out, I enjoyed how it tangents on each of the character's perspective of the topic and how they relate to it. In particular, I think the main character Rosie is written in such an honest manner where you are able to relate to her and actually walk in her footsteps throughout the book.

Especially in light of many curre...more
Gail
Last Summer is set in Maine and takes place over a year’s time span. It is told in four voices, including diary entries. Rosie and Meg have been best friends and neighbors since they were little. Their mothers, Jane and Frannie, are also best friends. The two families lives are intertwined and have created yearly customs. The girls are freshman in high school, when things change, and Rosie becomes a target of the popular group. Rosie keeps her struggles to herself, suffers an emotional breakdown...more
Diane
I guess I'm one of the few people that really loved this book but I did. I even read the Q&A section at the end. I never do that. The subject of bullying was well portrayed as were its effects on everyone involved. I especially liked that the characters became empowered because of what happenned.
  • Beach Colors
  • A Different Kind of Normal
  • As She Left It
  • The Wishing Hill: A Novel
  • The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane
  • Shunning Sarah (Riley Spartz, #5)
  • The Soldier's Wife
  • Monarch Beach
  • Summer Breeze
  • Eyes of Justice (Triple Threat, #4)
  • The Pied Piper (Boldt/Matthews #5)
  • Tuesday's Child
  • The Cottage At Glass Beach
Holly Chamberlin is a native New Yorker, but she now lives in Portland, Maine - the aftermath of stumbling across Mr. Right at the one moment she wasn't watching the terrain. She's been writing and editing - poetry, children's fantasies, a romance novel or two, among many other genres and projects - her entire life. She has two cats, Betty and Cyrus, and when she's not writing her hobbies include...more
More about Holly Chamberlin...
Tuscan Holiday The Summer Of Us Summer Friends One Week In December Living Single