Start by marking “When Knighthood Was in Flower” as Want to Read:
When Knighthood Was in Flower

When Knighthood Was in Flower

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Subtitled, "The Love Story of Charles Brandon and Mary Tudor the King’s Sister, and Happening in the Reign of His August Majesty King Henry the Eighth," When Knighthood Was in Flower is a fascinating novel set against the historic backdrop of the palaces and political intrigues of England and France. Based on the memoir of Sir Edwin Caskoden.
Hardcover, Theatre Edition, 359 pages
Published 1907 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about When Knighthood Was in Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Knighthood Was in Flower

Amy
Nov 24, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most outrageously romantic stories I've ever read. I giggled through most of it. Impossible not to think of Henry Cavill too, which is not a bad thing at all. Thanks trashy tv!
Redsteve
Totally not an accurate historical novel, but rather a late Victorian (the edition I have is a rather battered hardcover printed in 1899 and purporting to be the memoirs of Sir Edwin Caskoden - Charles Major's name appears no where on the cover) romance set early in the reign of Henry VIII. I don't know when I've read Charles Brandon treated so well in print. He's really the perfect knight in this one, rather than the brave, but self-centered butthead he was in real life. Still, an entertaining ...more
Shannon
I asked my grandmother, shortly before she died at 93 years of age, what her favorite book was. She was an avid reader her whole life and she said that there were many over the years but that this book was one she remembered very fondly. It was a sweet story and although the writing was very flowery, it was also quite clever at times. I liked the insight to human nature from Edward's perspective and enjoyed thinking about how my grandma must have felt reading it. It was quite humorous at times a ...more
Ramon4
A highly enjoyable historical romance set in the court of King Henry VIII. The story concerns the young sister of Henry, Mary Tudor (1496-1533) and her efforts to marry for love and not state reasons. At age 18, Henry forced her to marry the King of France, Louis XII, even though she was in love with Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk. Mary was married to the French king for 3 months, when he died unexpectedly.

With the death of the French King, Henry ordered that his sister return to England for a
Angie
Feb 15, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
What do kings, queens, princesses, arranged marriages, a failed attempt at escape to "New Spain" and a burning passion that doesn't make any sense have in common?

A great recipe for a love story.

I liked it. The plot had a tendency to get buried between descriptions of the princess's beauty and the language was a bit flowery. It was exciting enough that I wanted to read on.

I loved the hero. He was a man's man and so manly. Who doesn't love a m-a-n in a story? He made for a good counter part to Pri
Melissa
Mar 05, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, history
What a surprise, I seriously thought I would not like this book. It was such a fun love story, hard to put down. Based on true events in history.
Judith
Nov 10, 2012 Judith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: female readers
Recommended to Judith by: No one recommended this book to me; I found a copy at a used-book store and was intrigued by the publication date of 1898.
A refreshing - although not historically accurate - account of an old-fashioned love story. The "hero" truly is a hero, and the maiden is a beauty to behold. There are just enough facts woven into the episode to make the events recognizable which adds to the enchantment. A knight in shinning armor on a white horse appeals to almost every female reader, and the author presents this version in an easy-to-follow format. This book is a welcome retreat from today's publications. I intend to include m ...more
Irene
Oct 12, 2014 Irene rated it liked it
Vicky Harris
Jul 25, 2013 Vicky Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Late Victorian American view of the romance between Charles Brandon and Mary Tudor. Absolutely adorable. Sweet and innocent account of their relationship told by an author from Indiana, of all places. Not historically accurate but still a nice (quick) read. Free ebook on Amazon.
Magda
Read this because of the Little Britches books, in which his mother reads this to the children. Was quite surprised. Seems better than, say, Elsie Dinsmore, but ... Just kinda weird, with frequently annoying characters.
Colleen Lynch
Jul 04, 2010 Colleen Lynch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got lost in this book. I was surprised how easily I fell into it. Recommended for anyone interested in this time period, or who have seen/watched the show The Tudors. It is tudor-esque.
Laura Quilter
When Knighthood Was in Flower by Charles Major (?)
Valdamerca
Didn't capture me, skimmed through most of it.
Megan
June 22, 2003
Marita
Marita added it
May 02, 2016
Kyara Floris
Kyara Floris marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Tanja Glavnik
Tanja Glavnik marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Courtney Peebles
Courtney Peebles rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Janette P.
Janette P. rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Barney
Barney marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
lynda lou
lynda lou rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Lianne-Blue Hodgkins
Lianne-Blue Hodgkins rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2016
Callie Craighead
Callie Craighead marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Acid Drop
Acid Drop marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2016
Stacey Wilson
Stacey Wilson marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Fifth Queen
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The King's Touch
  • The Tudor Wench
  • The Tudors
  • The Story of English: How an Obscure Dialect Became the World's Most-Spoken Language
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Hostage Queen
  • All For Love: The Scandalous Life and Times of Royal Mistress Mary Robinson
  • Death And The Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robsart
  • Elizabeth I
  • Silver Woven In My Hair
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason. The Secret Wars against the Tudors
  • The Lost Prince: The Survival of Richard of York
  • The White Queen of Middleham (Sprigs of Broom #1)
  • The Origins of the British: A Genetic Detective Story
  • My Enemy's Tears: The Witch of Northampton
  • Court of Traitors (Bridget Manning #2)
Charles Major (July 25, 1856 – February 13, 1913) was an American lawyer and novelist.

Born to an upper-middle class Indianapolis family, Major developed in interest in both law and English history at an early age and attended the University of Michigan from 1872 through 1875, being admitted to the Indiana bar association in 1877. Shortly thereafter he opened his own law practice, which launched a
More about Charles Major...