Start by marking “Bombshells” as Want to Read:

Three women and two girls face political, racial and personal bombshells during the tension-filled days of the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962.

Flossie Johnson is a housekeeper who wants to sit in the front of the bus instead of the back on the way to her new job at the Adams house.

Six-year-old Birdie Adams wants to run away and join the circus but guesses she’ll have to go t
Kindle Edition
Published 2011 by InkOutLoud

To ask other readers questions about Bombshells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bombshells

Aug 06, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely enjoyable story told alternately through the eyes of Norah, Mellie, Birdie, Flossie and Lola, showing people trying to get on with their daily lives in the shadow of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The story is set in Florida and the family lives very close to a military base and has friends in the armed forces, so the threat is all too real and although, on the whole, the story has a light hearted tone it really demonstrates the escalating fear that hangs over them with daily real life d ...more
Feb 09, 2012 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish the book was longer, I would love to revisit these characters.

Mellie - My favorite character - 12 year old girl coming of age during this turbulent time. She is a thoughtful sweet girl, dealing with starting Junior High, starting her period, helping her mom with a new baby. Starting to find out how disillusioning life can be.

Flossie - The African American woman that comes and works as a maid for Mellie's Mom - I LOVED her - my 2nd favorite character. In some ways she reminded me of the le
Editing Services by Cynthia Shepp
I read this book awhile back but it made an impression on me. Couldn’t put it down. I would and will recommend it to moms and teenage girls everywhere. I loved the depth and the reality in this book. The characters were wonderful and the story line tugged the heartstrings. I related to the women in this book from the little girl to the grown women. It is a story that everyone needs to read. The situations in the book are heartbreaking but the courage the girls and the women show about their situ ...more
I was 6 art the time when this story takes place. While reading the story I thought back at how save I felt at that age while outside of my safe world my parents and others were worrying about what was happening in the world.r
Feb 15, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1962
Great historical fiction. This novel ties together the stresses of the Cuban Missile Crisis with a family.
Cindy Jackson
This isn't generally my kind of book, but it was well-written. Without giving things away, I disagree with some of the commenters. The book has two concurrent plotlines, the Cuban middle crisis and the events in the main character's life. I'm not sure the author could have found a better place to tie up Mellie's plotline had it continued on longer than it did.
This book also deals with some pretty heavy topics (racism, and while some people might debate whether tape actually occcurs, it's a litt
Based on the description, it's not normally something I would have chosen. But seeing as it was a free kindle book, I figured why not. It took awhile to get used to the format... each chapter is written from a different character's perspective. It got a bit confusing at times, especially since a lot of the characters' voices were not unique. Not as political as I thought it would be - and that's a good thing in my opinion. Overall, not bad.
Feb 09, 2012 Kelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm...Was not expecting this one to have such a high Goodreads review. My review is really 2.5 stars. The book started out great and then it kind of in my opinion went off on a tangent. It was not a waste of time. I did enjoy most of it. Just thought end was a bit abrupt. Got it free on Kindle though so no worries!
Jul 24, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed all the characters in the book. It was a quick easy read. I probably would have rated this book a 4 if the author had tied more of the loose ends up. I felt the book ended quickly and left me wondering what would happen to some of the characters.
Feb 04, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting coming of age book set in the 1960's around the Cuban Missle Crisis. It brings in a lot of issues as it takes the lives of three women and two girls in Florida though this tense time in American history.
Stephanie Otteni
Dec 11, 2012 Stephanie Otteni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book. It was easy to read but close to the end it kind of went off direction and the end felt like a half attempt to get back on track.
Jun 22, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an endearing coming of age story about a family during the Cuban missile crisis. I really enjoyed the characters.
Theresa C
Loved the voices of the different characters. Loved the real look at adolescence and it's hardships. Great read.
Cheryl Norman
May 08, 2012 Cheryl Norman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very engagine, nostalgic story told from the viewpoint of five people during the Cuban Missile Crisis 1962.
Jennifer Nelson
Jun 01, 2012 Jennifer Nelson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-book-dump
Stopped reading this one because of lots of taking God's name in vain and other dirty language.
Karen Valerio
About a kid in the 1950's. Good read!
Katy is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
Leslie Crane
Leslie Crane marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Conni marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Linda Buzard-Moffitt
Linda Buzard-Moffitt marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
thaddeus c. klejka
thaddeus c. klejka marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Michelle Duffy
Michelle Duffy is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Kris Debenport
Kris Debenport marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Angel marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Brandolin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Kaylee Smith
Kaylee Smith marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
April rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
  • Mirror Talk
  • The Mancode: Exposed
  • Drawing Free
  • The Battered Heiress Blues
  • The Wedding Ransom (The Wedding, #2)
  • Love Is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive
  • Song In The Wrong Key
  • Epiphany
  • The Mountain and The City, Part I
  • Timesplash (Timesplash, #1)
  • Love's Fate (Love Trilogy #1)
  • Leftovers
  • Yesterday's Flight
  • Dragon Lady
  • Chihuahua Karma
  • Nickels
  • Silver Lake
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
Teresa Elliott Brown studied poetry and creative writing at the University of Central Florida. She reads too much, write's women's fiction, loves to cook, play tennis and travel in our RV.
More about T. Elliott Brown...