I'm Deborah Sampson: A Soldier In The War Of The Revolution

I'm Deborah Sampson: A Soldier In The War Of The Revolution

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Relates the experiences of the woman who disguised herself as a man in order to enlist and fight in the American Revolution.
Published March 1977 by Lothrop, Lee and Shepard Books

Hannah B
When I was in late elementary school and early middle school I was obsessed with the American Revolution and Deborah Sam(p)son was pretty much my ultimate hero. Needless to say this was my favorite book back then. My 5th grade teacher had it in his class room and when I moved to 6th grade my middle school's library had a copy. I'm not even sure how many times I read it but it was many. Not to mention I was very ADHD back then so for any book to hold my attention like this one did was a grand acc...more
Cinnamon
When the boy that Deborah Sampson was going to marry was killed during the American Revolution, she needed a direction in her life. She felt like she didn't have a home or a cause to turn to. So, she decided to pick up the cause that Robbie died fighting for, the freedom of the colonies. Deborah Sampson dressed as man, became Robert Shurieff, and joined the Continental Army, where she fought and was wounded in more than one battle. Fiction story based on real life events.
Yasmin
The best thing about Patricia Clapp's books is they have a little bit of romance in them...perfect for that 5th grade girl!
Katie
Loved this book as a child. How many times did I check it out from the Loving Branch of the A2 library?!?!?
Megan
Not first reading: [March/April] 1997 With (above)
Randi
Randi marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
TheJediPoet
TheJediPoet marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
theFonz
theFonz marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Sharon Schlup
Sharon Schlup marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013
Ronel
Ronel marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012
Angie Williams
Angie Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012
Zxx405
Zxx405 marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2012
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2012
Patricia Clapp was born in Boston and attended the Columbia University School of Journalism. Her first novel, Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth, was a runner-up for the 1969 National Book Award for Children's Literature. Her other books include, I'm Deborah Sampson, King of the Dollhouse, Dr. Elizabeth, and Jane-Emily. She also authored many plays for children.
More about Patricia Clapp...
Jane-Emily Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth The Tamarack Tree Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Witches' Children