Start by marking “The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)

The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  974 ratings  ·  58 reviews
An international bestseller, this spectacular fantasy epic makes its U.S. debut.
Published March 1st 2008 by TokyoPop (first published March 20th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Kingdoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Kingdoms

Bridge of Birds by Barry HughartThe Tales of the Otori Trilogy by Lian HearnThe Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi OnoEon by Alison GoodmanThe Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Chinese and Japanese Fantasy
14th out of 166 books — 276 voters
Norwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiBattle Royale by Koushun TakamiHard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Best Japanese Books
119th out of 452 books — 1,986 voters

More lists with this book...

planetkimi
May 27, 2008 planetkimi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy fans looking for something unique
I like Taiki. He's a complex character, and an unusual hero. I can see how his personality isn't to the taste of some readers, but I found myself empathizing with him quite a bit.

Ono's characters overall really shine. It's easy to populate fantasy worlds with cookie-cutter characters, but Ono deftly rounds out even minor characters with sparks of individuality.

I think the way Ono handles the backstory of other characters, Keiki in particular is a nice touch. It doesn't distract from the overal
Verbera Rules
Apr 09, 2009 Verbera Rules rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the anime, fans of fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
Tiny, apologetic boy becomes godlike. Tears ensue. Then MONSTERS. Woo!

Did you like book one? Here's more info about kirin and kings. Did you not read book one? That's cool; book two is it's own story.

Not picaresque, like the first, but the geographic stationarity allows for lovely description of where the hey you are instead of "no time to look at junk! I'ma get killed" as in the first. Also, though the pace is a little slower, the book's also shorter. There aren't as many characters, but we get
Aelvana
In the second of the Twelve Kingdoms books, Taiki was living as an ordinary human in Japan until the day he saw a white arm beckoning him from a corner of his yard. It draws him into the Twelve Kingdoms, a world where he is revered as one of the most sacred forms of life: a kirin. Taiki quickly grows used to his new life, but he is plagued by the worry that it's all somehow a lie. Taiki can't do anything all kirin are supposed to be born knowing how to do. How can he choose a king?

If you've seen
Katie
Out of the 4 books in this series that have been translated into English, this one is by far my most favorite. I loved the characters in this book, the plot, everything. Taiki was adorable and heartbreaking. The details of how they go about choosing the new King/Queen of the Kingdom, and the emotional strain it puts on him is well written. The action scenes are well done as well, gripping you and keeping you turning the pages. The only downside is, that like the rest of the books in the series, ...more
Majo
Al igual que en el libro anterior, esta novela ligera prescinde de grandes descripciones, pero tuvo una enorme cantidad de información nueva sobre este misterioso mundo.

De la mano de Taiki nos metemos en el costado mitológico de la historia. Considero que estas dos novelas han sido más introductorias, una desde el punto de vista de una reina y la otra de un kirin, ambos siendo taikas que no han nacido en este mundo y él cual necesita ser explicado.

El protagonista, Kaname Takasato, un pequeño de
Cornerofmadness
Mazohyst
To be honest, I was quite disappointed that most of the cast from the first book in this series did not make an appearance. I was under the assumption that the series would focus on Yoko and her reign and not on separate stories for each book. However, Taiki did quickly capture my heart. There's something about a pure and innocent little boy that you can't help but root for him.

Now this series revolve around this other world or universe. Despite that, it's actually relatively easy to catch on to
Rebecca
Marissa
I read the first book of this series and I related well to that main character. I did not think I would like a book about a little boy as much, but I realized that I found many things in common with him. I found this book interesting at first, then I could not stop reading it. I will try to read the other ones.
Pygmy
Beautiful, fascinating world with interesting characters. The main character might be considered annoying because he is very weak-minded and apologizes constantly for things that aren't his fault...but it's a 10 yr old boy whose self-confidence has been eroded to nothing because he was born in a world he did not belong in. And the way it was presented evoked my sympathy very easily.

The flow of the English seems to be better than the first volume and I didn't notice any glaring grammatical/typogr
Cibele Andrade
I read Eugene Woodbury's translation, divided in two parts like the original.
Tells the early life of Taiki, kirin to the kingdom of Tai who was carried by a Shoku to the modern Japan and his return to the sacred Mt. Hou.
Although the story is mostly centered on the boys fears and insecurities, Ono never lingers too long on such matters as to make the reading bothersome. But rather she fills the gaps with explaining minutiae of the world of Twelve Kingdoms. The complex rituals and status privile
Kt
Another great book in the series! Can't get over how awesome and unique the fantasy world is that the author has created. Maybe it would seem less original if I'd read more japanese books?? Regardless, I can't wait to read the next book
Becca
This was much better than the first book, as I empathized with the character a lot more (and believed the character's perspective a lot more), but the big twist was completely obvious pretty much the whole way through.
Julia Carlton
Jan 28, 2015 Julia Carlton is currently reading it
So the time came when I fucking hate myself for I'm not good with kanji enough to read the original one. T__________T
Those pweaty kanjiiiiissss .-. T_______________T
still....I respect ye, translator. :/
machinaheart
I liked Taiki's story a lot because it gave more insight into the world of the Twelve Kingdoms and especially about the Kirin. I liked Taiki and the oracles, as well as Gyoso and Risai.
What I loved about it though were the bits about Keiki. I just loved Keiki from the first time I set my eyes on him in the anime (it also may have to do something with Koyasu Takehito, I have no illusions about that). I would love to know more about Keiki and the Kingdom of Kei before Youko became the Lady-King. B
PandaRanda
Reading this book was characterised by an intensely bittersweet sensation in the back of my mind. Knowing what happens beyond the events in this novel is really quite heartbreaking, especially after reading such a seemingly happy ending to Taiki's story at the end of this volume. I sincerely hope there really is a happy conclusion to Taiki's story, because this darn author really makes you love her main characters! It's like you cannot escape her will for you to connect to them and adore them!

P
G.
I think Taiki has to be my favorite male character in this series. He's just to adorable for words
James Eckman
A very light novel. Not enough character development or action.
Mariana
Loved the story and great continuation of the first book.
Joy
aaron
oh man do i ever love this series. i actually saw it as an anime before i knew it had been a book series for years. this is a great japanese fantasy novel about a world which is connected to ours by storms. different people are blown in and out of this world and we get to read as it happens. if you are look for a good read...pick this up. it is the second in the series and the story centers around the taiki (don't ask...just read). peace.
Jjlupa
An interesting hop back in time from the first story, featuring different characters (mostly) and a much less confrontational storyline (mostly). I enjoy how these are kind of shaping up into history chronicles, which together define the worldbuilding which seems the strongest bit of the story.

Having said that, the author and translator should be credited with very smooth prose, as the action does carry you along quite nicely.
Krystle
Just as in the first book, our protagonist is a fish-out-of-water, so we get quite a bit of expo-speak.

Developments are largely dialogue-based as a result, with not much action going on.

Took me a bit longer than expected to get into the story, but it picks up at around the halfway point ((view spoiler)).

Not as strong a story as the first book, but still quite good.
Melanie
I enjoy this series! It's fun and interesting, really different for me. I like the lore and ideology, it's interesting. I have to say, taiki was a young thing, and I found him annoying at times, but only because I am a bit like the grandmother, a mean old impatient lady XD but I can't help but feel like this world is going to collapse because of all the Hourai influence. Curious to see what actually happens!
Catherine
This is all in the cartoon show, but there were things that were certainly nice to read rather than just see--emotions and thoughts. This is the second in the series, by the way. You could get away with reading this one first, but some of the relationships and events aren't as meaningful when you don't know what happened in the first book (with takes place after the second).
Anne
What an amazing book.

I love the anime version, and I love the book even more.

Shouryuu, as always, is such an excellent character, despite his short appearance.

Gyousou is powerful and glorious.

Keiki is stoic, and yet so adorable.

And Taiki is just amazing.

I'm looking forward to read the next one even more now.
Amy
Overall, I liked this book but not as much as the first volume. I liked Taiki well enough but not much happens. I did like the back story (more development for Keiki) and more details of the Twelve Kingodom's world.

I will be checking out next book as soon as it's released. (When will it be release? Does anyone know?)
Charity
Goes back in time to tell a story set in the original twelve kingdoms universe but from the point of view of a different type of sentient being. The magical world described is strictly designed, no question of evolution etc. Fairly interesting overall however, though the main character seemed a bit weak sometimes.
LaLine
The translation in this book was better than the first book. The prologue was especially beautiful in writing style. While I had a harder time connecting with the characters in this book, it is still very much worth reading. You learn so much more about the fantastic world the author has created.
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • Dragon Sword and Wind Child (Tales of the Magatama, #1)
  • Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 2
  • Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
  • Boogiepop And Others
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4)
  • One Night Stand (Full Metal Panic! #2)
  • Calling you
  • Zaregoto, Book 2: The Kubishime Romanticist
  • Scrapped Princess: A Tale of Destiny (Scrapped Princess, #1)
  • Trinity Blood: Rage Against the Moons, Volume 3: Know Faith
Kanji Name: 小野 不由美.

Fuyumi Ono (小野 不由美, Ono Fuyumi) is a Japanese novelist who is best known for writing the Twelve Kingdoms (十二国記, Juuni Kokuki) series, on which a popular anime is based. Her name after marriage is Fuyumi Uchida (内田不由美, Uchida Fuyumi), but she writes under her maiden name.

Ono was born in Nakatsu, Ōita, Kyūshū in 1960. She graduated from Ōtani University in Kyōto with a degree in B
More about Fuyumi Ono...

The Twelve Kingdoms (7 books)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms, #4)
  • Les ailes du destin (Les 12 Royaumes, #5)
  • 黄昏の岸 暁の天 [Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora]
  • Le royaume de l'idéal (Les 12 Royaumes, #7)
The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1) The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3) The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms, #4) La Mer de L'ombre, Tome 2 (Les 12 Royaumes, #2) La Mer de L'ombre, Tome 1 (Les 12 Royaumes, #1)

“Taiki was watching the kings talk, feeling the kind of happiness that can only come after a long sorrow.” 3 likes