Start by marking “The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)

The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms #2)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
An international bestseller, this spectacular fantasy epic makes its U.S. debut.
Published March 1st 2008 by TokyoPop (first published March 20th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Kingdoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Kingdoms

The Tales of the Otori Trilogy by Lian HearnBridge of Birds by Barry HughartThe Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. BorosonThe Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi OnoEon by Alison Goodman
Chinese and Japanese Fantasy
15th out of 176 books — 354 voters
Norwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiBattle Royale by Koushun TakamiHard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Best Japanese Books
123rd out of 487 books — 2,319 voters

More lists with this book...

planetkimi
May 27, 2008 planetkimi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans looking for something unique
I like Taiki. He's a complex character, and an unusual hero. I can see how his personality isn't to the taste of some readers, but I found myself empathizing with him quite a bit.

Ono's characters overall really shine. It's easy to populate fantasy worlds with cookie-cutter characters, but Ono deftly rounds out even minor characters with sparks of individuality.

I think the way Ono handles the backstory of other characters, Keiki in particular is a nice touch. It doesn't distract from the overal
Verbera Rules
Apr 09, 2009 Verbera Rules rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the anime, fans of fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
Tiny, apologetic boy becomes godlike. Tears ensue. Then MONSTERS. Woo!

Did you like book one? Here's more info about kirin and kings. Did you not read book one? That's cool; book two is it's own story.

Not picaresque, like the first, but the geographic stationarity allows for lovely description of where the hey you are instead of "no time to look at junk! I'ma get killed" as in the first. Also, though the pace is a little slower, the book's also shorter. There aren't as many characters, but we get
Aelvana
Oct 31, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was amazing
In the second of the Twelve Kingdoms books, Taiki was living as an ordinary human in Japan until the day he saw a white arm beckoning him from a corner of his yard. It draws him into the Twelve Kingdoms, a world where he is revered as one of the most sacred forms of life: a kirin. Taiki quickly grows used to his new life, but he is plagued by the worry that it's all somehow a lie. Taiki can't do anything all kirin are supposed to be born knowing how to do. How can he choose a king?

If you've seen
Nicohle Christopherson
Absolutely riveting. I picked up this book in my local library, and as a fan of the Juuni Koku anime series, I found myself absolutely enthralled. Little Kouki's story is probably the most heartwrenching in the whole series, and he is most DEFINITELY my favorite among the Kirin themselves.

In the Twelve Kingdoms, rule is decided by divine right. Literally. Holy beasts called the Kirin choose the Kings for each of these massive kingdoms. Kouki is one such Kirin. However, his birth and raising wer
Katie
Feb 01, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
Out of the 4 books in this series that have been translated into English, this one is by far my most favorite. I loved the characters in this book, the plot, everything. Taiki was adorable and heartbreaking. The details of how they go about choosing the new King/Queen of the Kingdom, and the emotional strain it puts on him is well written. The action scenes are well done as well, gripping you and keeping you turning the pages. The only downside is, that like the rest of the books in the series, ...more
Majo
Al igual que en el libro anterior, esta novela ligera prescinde de grandes descripciones, pero tuvo una enorme cantidad de información nueva sobre este misterioso mundo.

De la mano de Taiki nos metemos en el costado mitológico de la historia. Considero que estas dos novelas han sido más introductorias, una desde el punto de vista de una reina y la otra de un kirin, ambos siendo taikas que no han nacido en este mundo y él cual necesita ser explicado.

El protagonista, Kaname Takasato, un pequeño de
Cornerofmadness
Jan 01, 2011 Cornerofmadness rated it liked it
Mazohyst
To be honest, I was quite disappointed that most of the cast from the first book in this series did not make an appearance. I was under the assumption that the series would focus on Yoko and her reign and not on separate stories for each book. However, Taiki did quickly capture my heart. There's something about a pure and innocent little boy that you can't help but root for him.

Now this series revolve around this other world or universe. Despite that, it's actually relatively easy to catch on to
Rebecca
Oct 06, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Marissa
Mar 28, 2014 Marissa rated it really liked it
I read the first book of this series and I related well to that main character. I did not think I would like a book about a little boy as much, but I realized that I found many things in common with him. I found this book interesting at first, then I could not stop reading it. I will try to read the other ones.
Pygmy
Apr 11, 2008 Pygmy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, translated
Beautiful, fascinating world with interesting characters. The main character might be considered annoying because he is very weak-minded and apologizes constantly for things that aren't his fault...but it's a 10 yr old boy whose self-confidence has been eroded to nothing because he was born in a world he did not belong in. And the way it was presented evoked my sympathy very easily.

The flow of the English seems to be better than the first volume and I didn't notice any glaring grammatical/typogr
Cibele Andrade
Feb 23, 2014 Cibele Andrade rated it really liked it
Shelves: oriental, fantasy
I read Eugene Woodbury's translation, divided in two parts like the original.
Tells the early life of Taiki, kirin to the kingdom of Tai who was carried by a Shoku to the modern Japan and his return to the sacred Mt. Hou.
Although the story is mostly centered on the boys fears and insecurities, Ono never lingers too long on such matters as to make the reading bothersome. But rather she fills the gaps with explaining minutiae of the world of Twelve Kingdoms. The complex rituals and status privile
Kt
Mar 25, 2015 Kt rated it really liked it
Another great book in the series! Can't get over how awesome and unique the fantasy world is that the author has created. Maybe it would seem less original if I'd read more japanese books?? Regardless, I can't wait to read the next book
Becca
Jul 24, 2014 Becca rated it liked it
This was much better than the first book, as I empathized with the character a lot more (and believed the character's perspective a lot more), but the big twist was completely obvious pretty much the whole way through.
S.Baqer Al-Meshqab
Mar 18, 2016 S.Baqer Al-Meshqab rated it really liked it
Sea of Wind is the second of Seven Books of The Twelve Kingdoms series. For Fantasy lovers, the Twelve Kingdoms is a must read. A Mystical World embodies all kind of mythical creatures, kings, gods, demons, familiars, magicians and unheard of spells and wizardry. From the twelve, Sea of wind deals mainly with the Kingdom of Tai. While outlining the rules of the twelve kingdoms universe, the book tells the story of the "Kirin" of Tai - Kirin is a divine creature born to select the righteous king ...more
Julia Carlton
Jan 28, 2015 Julia Carlton is currently reading it
So the time came when I fucking hate myself for I'm not good with kanji enough to read the original one. T__________T
Those pweaty kanjiiiiissss .-. T_______________T
still....I respect ye, translator. :/
Cynthia
A real shame that the translation is so flat and terribad. It really detracts from the world building which is such a call back to wuxia lore for me.
machinaheart
I liked Taiki's story a lot because it gave more insight into the world of the Twelve Kingdoms and especially about the Kirin. I liked Taiki and the oracles, as well as Gyoso and Risai.
What I loved about it though were the bits about Keiki. I just loved Keiki from the first time I set my eyes on him in the anime (it also may have to do something with Koyasu Takehito, I have no illusions about that). I would love to know more about Keiki and the Kingdom of Kei before Youko became the Lady-King. B
PandaRanda
May 04, 2014 PandaRanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels, books-i-own
Reading this book was characterised by an intensely bittersweet sensation in the back of my mind. Knowing what happens beyond the events in this novel is really quite heartbreaking, especially after reading such a seemingly happy ending to Taiki's story at the end of this volume. I sincerely hope there really is a happy conclusion to Taiki's story, because this darn author really makes you love her main characters! It's like you cannot escape her will for you to connect to them and adore them!

P
G.
Mar 12, 2014 G. rated it it was amazing
I think Taiki has to be my favorite male character in this series. He's just to adorable for words
James Eckman
Apr 11, 2014 James Eckman rated it it was ok
A very light novel. Not enough character development or action.
Mariana
Oct 01, 2014 Mariana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Loved the story and great continuation of the first book.
Joy
Melissa
Jul 19, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, light-novel
This was excellent. I haven't watched the anime in ages, but now I will have to again. Especially, since the next book in the series is selling for $50 and that is a tad more than I am willing to spend.

The characters is well developed and generally acts his age.

The world is engaging and the side characters are fleshed out.

Worth a look see!
aaron
Aug 15, 2008 aaron rated it really liked it
oh man do i ever love this series. i actually saw it as an anime before i knew it had been a book series for years. this is a great japanese fantasy novel about a world which is connected to ours by storms. different people are blown in and out of this world and we get to read as it happens. if you are look for a good read...pick this up. it is the second in the series and the story centers around the taiki (don't ask...just read). peace.
Jonathan Lupa
Apr 22, 2012 Jonathan Lupa rated it really liked it
An interesting hop back in time from the first story, featuring different characters (mostly) and a much less confrontational storyline (mostly). I enjoy how these are kind of shaping up into history chronicles, which together define the worldbuilding which seems the strongest bit of the story.

Having said that, the author and translator should be credited with very smooth prose, as the action does carry you along quite nicely.
Krystle
Apr 19, 2016 Krystle rated it liked it
Just as in the first book, our protagonist is a fish-out-of-water, so we get quite a bit of expo-speak.

Developments are largely dialogue-based as a result, with not much action going on.

Took me a bit longer than expected to get into the story, but it picks up at around the halfway point ((view spoiler)).

Not as strong a story as the first book, but still quite good.
Melanie
Oct 04, 2012 Melanie rated it liked it
I enjoy this series! It's fun and interesting, really different for me. I like the lore and ideology, it's interesting. I have to say, taiki was a young thing, and I found him annoying at times, but only because I am a bit like the grandmother, a mean old impatient lady XD but I can't help but feel like this world is going to collapse because of all the Hourai influence. Curious to see what actually happens!
Louise Marqvartsen
Aug 08, 2016 Louise Marqvartsen rated it liked it
Now I have tried to read this series two times and both times I have put the book aside at the same spot. There is just so many books that I want to read and there is always one who is more attractive than this series. The first book was quite exciting at some points but I must confess that I'll finish this one. Sadly enough. Though I'm still curious to know what happens to Yoko.
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (Tales of the Magatama, #2)
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
  • Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 3
  • Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
  • Boogiepop And Others
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4)
  • One Night Stand (Full Metal Panic! #2)
  • Slayers - The Ruby Eye (Slayers, #1)
  • Calling You
  • アクセル・ワールド 1 -黒雪姫の帰還- [Akuseru Wārudo 1: Kuroyukihime no Kikan] (Accel World Light Novel, #1: The Return of Princess Snow Black)
  • Ico: Castle in the Mist
  • バッカーノ!The Rolling Bootlegs (Baccano!, #1)
  • Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle
  • Gosick: The Novel (Gosick, #1)
Kanji Name: 小野 不由美.

Fuyumi Ono (小野 不由美, Ono Fuyumi) is a Japanese novelist who is best known for writing the Twelve Kingdoms (十二国記, Juuni Kokuki) series, on which a popular anime is based. Her name after marriage is Fuyumi Uchida (内田不由美, Uchida Fuyumi), but she writes under her maiden name.

Ono was born in Nakatsu, Ōita, Kyūshū in 1960. She graduated from Ōtani University in Kyōto with a degree in B
More about Fuyumi Ono...

The Twelve Kingdoms (7 books)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms, #4)
  • Les ailes du destin (Les 12 Royaumes, #5)
  • 黄昏の岸 暁の天 [Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora]
  • Le royaume de l'idéal (Les 12 Royaumes, #7)

“Taiki was watching the kings talk, feeling the kind of happiness that can only come after a long sorrow.” 3 likes