Start by marking “Freakling (Psi Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Freakling (Psi Chronicles, #1)

Freakling (Psi Chronicles #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,141 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
In twelve-year-old Taemon’s city, everyone has a power called psi—the ability to move and manipulate objects with their minds. When Taemon loses his psi in a traumatic accident, he must hide his lack of power by any means possible. But a humiliating incident at a sports tournament exposes his disability, and Taemon is exiled to the powerless colony.

The "dud farm" is not wh
Published October 9th 2012 by Candlewick Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Freakling, please sign up.

Lana Krumwiede Yes! I'm happy to say that this book is the first volume in a trilogy called The Psi Chronicles:

Book 1 = Freakling
Book 2 = Archon
Book 3 = True Son

Hope…more

Book 1 = Freakling
Book 2 = Archon
Book 3 = True Son

Hope you enjoy them!(less)
Lana Krumwiede The birth symbols are kind of like horoscopes. Each day has a symbol. The symbol changes every day until all twenty symbols have been cycled through.…moreThe birth symbols are kind of like horoscopes. Each day has a symbol. The symbol changes every day until all twenty symbols have been cycled through. Then the cycle starts over. So the day symbol of the day you were born becomes your birth symbol, or your birthsign.

There are superstitions about what kind of personality you have if you're born under a certain symbol. There are no symbols that are inherently bad, and some may go in and out of favor. But one especially is considered unlucky: Knife.

In Taemon's world, your birthsign has a lot to do with how you are perceived by others. They will interpret your actions based on your birthsign, even if it's not at all true. A Knife, for example, may have a hard time getting a job because of the bad luck that supposedly follows them. And of course, anything bad that happens will probably be blamed on the Knife.(less)

Lana Krumwiede
Feb 01, 2012 Lana Krumwiede rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rating your own book is like voting for yourself. You feel silly if you do it, but stupid if you don't.
Experiment BL626
This dystopian Middle Grade book would have been an easy 3-stars were it not for a few big things.

+ the weak hero

I did not like Taemon. I could tolerate his lack of self-confidence, but his refusal to listen to his common sense pushed my limit. When you live in a society where psychic power is everything and you lose your own, common sense dictates that you should avoid everything that would pull attention to you. That means no participating in sport events where psychic power is the way you pl
Kyra
May 04, 2012 Kyra rated it it was amazing
I just finished Freakling and I thought it was a fabulous story. The book is debuting in October, but I received an advanced copy from a teacher at my school who went to a book convention in Chicago. I was ecstatic to read a book that has yet to be published but little did I know that the plot and characters would be so multi-dimensional and intriguing that I hardly put it down. The main character, Taemon, is a boy with great intellect and deep thoughts. I applaud Lana Krumwiede for her descript ...more
Tara
Sep 02, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it
Let me clarify...I really liked this book for a ten or eleven year old. I would even give it to an older reluctant reader. Despite an interesting premise, the writing is just too simple for the book to go much higher. And, it needs to, because the themes it addresses--pride, loyalty, deception, self-sacrifice and death--are ones that can require a bit of emotional maturity. My eleven year old read this in an afternoon and we had a great discussion about power, knowledge and making decisions for ...more
Bennett
Feb 04, 2013 Bennett rated it really liked it
I gobbled this thing up in one single night. I was expecting a cheap spoof of the The Hunger Games, but I was delighted to find that I was wrong. Freakling is a thing of its own!!! I love the idea of having psi (I'm guessing the P is silent) and moving stuff with your mind. I'm so glad this is a series! This book deserves to be praised heavily.

Alternate Rating: B
Annie
First Look: This looked pretty interesting.  I actually had a similar idea revolving in my head for quite awhile (though it's now been put indefinitely on the back burner).  Ultimately, the execution of this book was very different from my idea, which is perfectly alright with me.  Also, it's kinda refreshing to read middle grade every so often--it gives me a break from angsty romance and love triangles everywhere.

Setting:
I love, more than anything, the fact that this setting made me think quit
Chris Sorensen
Jul 02, 2012 Chris Sorensen rated it really liked it
Actual review is 4.5 out of 5

The premise of 'Freakling' is what drew me in. Young boy, just starting his teenage years, lives in a city where everybody has the same power - that's a pretty good twist. The power to move things with your mind - psi - is also intriguing in how Krumwiede applies it to the book; not only does it serve as a useful tool for action, but it also has a more symbolic purpose as well. Is it possible for somebody to "lose their identity" when everybody has the same identity
Melissa Prange
Nov 30, 2012 Melissa Prange rated it it was ok
In the future, Deliverance is a haven for those with psi (or telekinesis). Those without psi are forced to live in an outer community for those without powers.

At the beginning of the book, Taemon has psi, but he also has the ability to see into the workings of things. This ability makes him different and places him in trouble. If the leaders of their community were to find out, he could be placed in an asylum or banished. It doesn’t come to that, however, because after a failed attempt on his br
Julia P.
Oct 10, 2013 Julia P. rated it did not like it
Lauren
For fans of Powerless or The Unwanteds.
A Book-Nerd
May 26, 2013 A Book-Nerd rated it it was amazing
You know that book that at first it's,Meh, then you are suddenly 230 pages and you just HAD to chuck it at a wall? That is what Freakling fits in. I didn't hate the book, I loved Taemon, he was very curious, it did lead to trouble though. No,what made me throw the book at my wall was Yens and Elder Naseph. I say good ridance for both of them being gone! The book is good, but it is just the villans in the book will make you want to hurl the book at a wall. I loved it. The plot ran very fast,dates ...more
Amanda
Dec 13, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
This is actually my second time reading this book. I didn't realize that she had made it into a trilogy, so I decided to read this one again before reading the others. I quite enjoyed the story. It was different than other books in it's genre (didn't just feel like the same old story) and I liked the main character and how the book ended. It's definitely written for a younger reader, but I still had fun with it.
Amy
Dec 21, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
My middle school book club kids loved it! And it's a great young teen dystopian. It's just not my kind of book. I wasn't in to dystopians that much to begin with, and I'm especially tired of them now. But kids these days can't seem to get enough! Like I said, the 5th-7th graders I know loved it!
Debbie Barr
Aug 02, 2012 Debbie Barr rated it liked it
A nice dystopian for younger readers, the plot was compelling enough for a ten or eleven-year-old, and the world one young readers will enjoy thinking about when the story is over. Although it was at times predictable and the characters a little flat, it was an enjoyable read overall.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Booktalked this one on the recommendation of my colleagues. It was so popular with the kids I had to read it myself. Finished just in time for the sequel's fall release. Perfect example of sci-fi for elementary and middle schoolers.
Colleen Clayton
Jun 20, 2012 Colleen Clayton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Very well done. What I liked best is that I couldn't put my finger on it genre-wise. It is a sci-fi dystopia but also had elements of the fantastical and some steampunky things going on. Great characterization and world-building. Loved it.
Katie Wilson
Oct 11, 2012 Katie Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit

Got Freakling this afternoon, finished it tonight. Great story, fast action, believable world. Krumwiede hit a home run with this one. Loved it!
Renee Rindler
I loved this book!!!!!!
Audrey
Adelie
Jan 25, 2017 Adelie rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars

This book's general idea was fabulous, but how it came out on the page I was not a fan of.
Age Rating: Middle School [6-8]
Taemon lives in a society where everyone uses psi. Psi is a power where you can move things with your mind, and do chores and tasks. Taemon can also see inside of things, which is another form of psi called clairvoyance, which is very rare. His brother Yens wants to take it from him, and almost kills him.
As I said, that sounds like a fabulous idea, but how the book
Adriana
Apr 23, 2012 Adriana rated it really liked it

Overview:
Taemon lives in a world that revolves around a person's ability to use psi - a power to control objects and people with your mind. But with this power comes rules. In the city where Taemon lives he isn't allowed to see inside a body. This is so that he won't learn how the body works and use that knowledge to harm other people. He must not show too much promise with his power or he might be declared the True Son and be taken away by the government
Abby
Jan 26, 2017 Abby rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book although the beginning bored me. It was a good book and I will probably read the sequel, but the writing was a little simple fro me at times.
Mckinley
Jan 08, 2017 Mckinley rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, scifi
Ok idea, found not very flushed out.
Eli Hernandez
Nov 13, 2016 Eli Hernandez rated it liked it
I was to enraptured by this story that I couldn't down once I picked it up.
Liz Overberg
I would give this book 3.5 stars. The concept was a 5, (so cool!), but the book just didn't live up to its potential.

Freakling is a story about Taemon, a twelve-year-old boy, who lives in a city where everyone uses psychokenesis (commonly called psi) to carry out all of their daily tasks. It is considered taboo to touch food, tools, or even other people. (Hugging? Forget it.) Most tasks, even easy ones like zipping a zipper or flushing a toilet, cannot be completed manually, because even the si
J.C.
Nov 23, 2015 J.C. rated it really liked it
A uniquely plotted dystopian with great writing and great characters, Freakling was an enjoyable read, full of action, clever plot twists, and a believable world/setting.

Themes: My one confusion which lowered my rating was the themes. A main theme of this book is the religion the characters have. The religion in this book is its own thing, not directly related to anything in the real world, and tied directly to the fictional setting. However, there were things in this religion such as “the Sabba
Jen
Mar 24, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Taemon is one of the residents of a psi city called Deliverance. In the city everyone uses psi for absolutely everything. The residents don't use their hands for anything, all aspects of their lives are psi based (mind control of objects). People without psi are not allowed in the city. They are sent to the colony where, without psi, the residents must use their hands to control their surroundings.

In the beginning, Taemon is a very strong psi user. He's also able to "mind read" objects to figur
Patricia
Sep 08, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
Rachel Telford recently posted her own review of Freakling, by this LDS author, Lana Krumwiede. I put the whole Psi Chronicles trilogy on hold and read it fairly quickly. The books and storyline became more and more engaging for me, and I recommended it to my 13-year-old daughter. I think, though, the books and writing are meant for a slightly younger audience, 10-12 year olds.

Freakling is the first book in the trilogy. It was published in 2012 and tells the story of Taemon, a 12-year-old Nathan
Amy Nicole
Angie
Mar 04, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Taemon lives in a Deliverance, a city where everyone uses psi. No one uses their hands for anything, not eating, not opening doors, not putting on clothes. All of these tasks are accomplished through psi, the ability to move things with your mind. If you have very weak psi you are considered a Freakling and if you have no psi you are banished to the powerless colony. Deliverance has been cut off from the world ever since the prophet Nathan created a mountain to hide them.

Taemon is a strong psi
Ask Lana Krumwied...: Publishing Tips 12 28 Sep 02, 2013 05:44AM
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Eye of the Storm
  • Kizzy Ann Stamps
  • Iron Hearted Violet
  • The Prince Who Fell from the Sky
  • Rise of the Corpses (The Undertakers, #1)
  • What Came from the Stars
  • Above World (Above World, #1)
  • Sky Jumpers (Sky Jumpers, #1)
  • Homesick
  • The Boy at the End of the World
  • The Planet Thieves (The Planet Thieves, #1)
  • Project Jackalope
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief #1)
  • All Good Children
  • Aquifer
  • Saving Sky
In third grade, Lana wrote in her autobiography that she wanted to be a mother, a writer, and the church organist. Two out of three ain't bad! Her work has appeared in Highlights, High Five, Spider, Babybug, The Friend, and Chicken Soup for the Child's Soul. Freakling is her first novel.

Lana has tried psi many times, particularly when it comes to household chores, but she could never make it work
More about Lana Krumwiede...

Psi Chronicles (3 books)
  • Archon (Psi Chronicles, #2)
  • True Son (Psi Chronicles, #3)

“Where you look is where you go, remember? Don't look at hopeless. We don't want to go there.” 0 likes