Start by marking “A Valentine from Harlequin: Six Degrees of Romance” as Want to Read:
A Valentine from Harlequin: Six Degrees of Romance

A Valentine from Harlequin: Six Degrees of Romance

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  344 ratings  ·  57 reviews

One opening paragraph, six unique stories...

What if you gave six authors the same opening paragraph and let their imagination fly? That’s what we’ve done in A Valentine from Harlequin: Six Degrees of Romance!

Experience the variety Harlequin romance has to offer with this collection of novellas from six Harlequin series, including the passionate drama of Harlequin Present

Published February 1st 2012 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Valentine from Harlequin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Valentine from Harlequin

One opening, six stories. This was actually a really cool idea for an anthology, but I really with the opening hadn't been what it was.

That said, the stories were of wilding varying quality levels.

The first story, Pulse Point by Nancy Warren was probably my favorite, though it suffered from the short length. It is the story of lovers separated due to misunderstanding and stubbornness, but we didn't get to see the cause of the misunderstanding nor have the time for the stubborness to be truly wo
6 different authors start a story of about 20 pages with the same 4 paragraphs.
Charlotte winced as an inebriated party goer stepped on her foot, but she kept moving determinedly towards the doors that led to the balcony. The Duncan's would be delighted with their party. It was clearly the event of the season, and their daughter had been successfully launched into society....
Unfortunately, the noise, the heat, and the crowd combined with Charlotte's pounding headache to make her want to escape fo
Tami Urbanek
6 stories start with the same paragraph....
Unfortunately, the noise, the heat, and the crowd combined with Charlotte's pounding heachache to make her want to escape for a breath of fresh air..Reaching t
Rebecca (everyday reader)
An interesting idea to give several authors the first paragraph of a story and then let them have carte blanche to finish them any way they want. Historical, paranormal, contemporary, and dangerous, all with the theme of love between Charlotte and John. Good read!!
I liked the idea of reading an anthology where the starting paragraphs were all the same.

Pulse Point (Nancy Warren): Completely unbelievable. Heroine is weak-willed.

Charlotte's Angel (Catherine Spencer): I like both the hero and heroine. Best of all the stories.

Duke's Dilemma (Margaret Moore): Quick, thoughtless read.

Dead Man's Woman (Maggie Shayne): Now, I was looking forward to this one. I love Shane's work. And it didn't disappoint. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite.

Night of the Li
Lynda Tatad
I liked the premise of this anthology: six different authors were given the same opening paragraphs to start with, a young woman steps outside for a break from a party she helped plan, only to discover her presumed dead fiancé in the arms of another woman. Each story is also five chapters in length, so it's a quick read through each style of short story.

Each of these six writers have their own take on this romantic tale, from a straight up action adventure, to a historic period romance and a wom
Interesting concept, and two of the stories kept my interest. On the whole, it just didn't work for me.
Boring, only read the first two stories and started the third one. Didn't finish book.
I love the premise of this anthology. Give six authors the same opening paragraph and see what happens. This is how all the stories in the anthology begin:

"Charlotte winced as an inebriated party-goer stepped on her foot, but she kept moving determinedly toward the doors that led to the balcony. The Duncans would be delighted with their party; it was clearly the event of the season, and their daughter had been successfully launched into society. Unfortunately, the noise, the heat, and the crowd
Apr 15, 2015 Linda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone over 18 that likes short romance stories.
The idea of the stories from the same opening paragraphs was good but most of them wasn't the authors best work. The only one I didn't like AT ALL was Michele Hauf story "Night of the Living Wed" using zombies. But that might be because I don't like zombies and the idea of zombie sex, NO but HELL NO! :-(

I think Ms. Bell's "Bold as Brass" was the best of the group!
First story-meh.
Second story-nice. Seems a prelude to a longer work. I dig.
Third story- um. Maybe would work as a full length...
Fourth story-this would be awesome as a full length, still pretty good for a short.
Fifth story- *cackling maniacally* Oh, this is FANTASTIC
Oct 06, 2014 Sidra rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
Admittedly, the foundation of the book was interesting, having different authors from different genres writing a story based on the same beginning. However, much was lost in execution. It was repetitive, choppy and amateur.
Louiseann Walter

Very different from what I was used but g liked the premise of six different authors writing about the same story couple they were short and entertaining and quickly read thank you.
Josie Ann
I think this was a brilliant idea to have five different authors take the same opening paragraph and turn it into their own story. The book was supposed to have six different stories, but the version that I have only has five, but that didn't bother me at all. My most favorite stories in this book were "The Duke's Dilemma" and "Dead Man's Woman"; my least favorite story was "Night of the Living Wed". I mean, in a dark, twisted and sick kind of way it was romantic, but that's just my opinion. I d ...more
I liked the concept of the sam opening paragraphs. Some of the stories were moreto my taste than others. I don't like the enjoyable ones enough to open the book again, so not a re-read.
Jul 14, 2015 Kathy marked it as to-read
after reading this... go to lapl... Maggie Shayne page 3 of books... to find other anthologies
The concept here is that six different writers take the same opening paragraph and finish the writing in their own way. Each opening starts with a woman walking in on her fiance kissing another woman. The problems get worse because she thinks her fiance is dead. The writers each put their own spin on it and even change up the settings as well. There is a little something for everyone... contemporary, historical, etc. There is even a science fiction story as well. This one was my least favorite b ...more
This is an interesting set-up from Harlequin. First page is the same for each of the six stories, but then six authors make it thete own. I enjoyed three of the stories tolerated two and just skimmed one of the stories. It is a nice book and offers various styles of writing. It would make an inspirational read for inspiring writers to take an introduction and practice writing different styles and stretch the imagination. Overall the stories were well developed and the characters were enjoyable.
Short and exciting. I got warped into the same beginning of the story, and it made me wish the stories were longer.
This is an interesting concept to have six authors write a story in their sub genres with the same few paragraphs. However, each story was ok. They seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek. Nancy Warren's story was good, almost believable. The most interesting was Christine Bell's story because this was the first time I read steam-punk. I don't think any of these stories are a good basis to determine if you might like the author but it was an interesting read.
This was an interesting read. This has six short stories by different types of romance authors. The authors are given the same start and then to make it their own to show how different romance novels are based on the genre. (Historical, contemporary, paranormal, etc)

Maggie Shayne was my favorite of the six.

This is not a Valentine read if that's what you're looking for as I was. This was just a special treat from Harlequin to you.
I downloaded this book from kindle when it was free. This is a good anthology, although, I skipped the last story which involved zombies. Also, this is not one to read back-to-back, as each author started the story from the same introductory material. I enjoyed the short, compact, quick and easy to read stories. I enjoyed reading the creative twists and turns each author took.
Six different authors are given the same opening paragraphs and create their own story from there.

Interesting concept . . . that was my first thought.

Since it was free, I downloaded and read the stories in one sitting. I loved all of them. Which surprised me, considering that I don't really like Michele Hauf's books, even though I like paranormal romance stories.
Roxane Wilborn
Different authors were given around 6 paragraphs, the same paragraphs, to start with and let their imagination go from there. While there were some stories I liked better than others, I really thought it was interesting how the stories lead completely different paths. From zombies to dead twin brothers, I thought it was a cute, quick read!
Loved it! Cool concept. One opening, six outcomes. And they couldn't have been more different! Who would have guessed that those first four paragraphs could have such a broad range of outcomes! It was kind of like 'Choose Your Own Adventure' but for grown ups, and without having to go on a wild page hunt. Loved it! Are there more??
Dee Renee  Chesnut
This book was free when I downloaded it to my Nook library. It has an interesting concept: give the opening paragraphs to six Harlequin-published writers and see the variety of sub-genres available from Blaze to steam-punk. For this reader, it missed the mark when I did not care to read more by these authors.
It's always difficult to rate an anthology. I'm being generous with this one since two stories I did not finish. The idea of giving six authors the same opening paragraphs was really interesting and it's what made me get the book. But, only a couple of the authors seamlessly merged their story with the start.
A holiday reading treat with an interesting twist which provided a quick diversion. The six short romance stories in this collection all have the same beginning paragraphs and are then developed into various creations (historical, paranormal, contemporary, etc.) by different authors.
i liked the concept and the variety of some of the stories. Felt a few were a little repetitive. I liked that the common opening set it up for reunited lovers, because otherwise I don't think I would have bought into e relationship developed in 20 or so pages
Cute, short romance stories that all start with the same beginning paragraphs and diverge into various types of romance including historical and steampunk (two of my personal faves). They gave you a taste of several genres of Harlequin romances.
  • Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • A Taste of Romance
  • The Life She Left Behind (The Santina Crown 0.5)
  • Fairy Tale Flirts 5 Romantic Short Stories
  • Already Home (Sons of Chance #6.2)
  • A Dixie Christmas
  • The Indie Eclective: The Holiday Collection
  • Triple Threat
  • SEAL of My Dreams
  • The Eclective: The Haunted Collection
  • Gift of Desire
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • Passion to Die For (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1579)
  • No One But You
  • My Boyfriend's Back
  • Love Letters
  • BestsellerBound Anthology (BestsellerBound, #1)
Nancy Warren is the USA Today bestselling author of more than fifty novels.

She’s known for writing funny, sexy and suspenseful tales. She calls Vancouver, Canada home though she tends to wander. She’s an avid hiker, animal lover, wine drinker and chocolate fiend. Favorite moments in her career include being featured on the front page of the New York Times when she launched Harlequin’s NASCAR seri
More about Nancy Warren...