Start by marking “Above the Bridge (Paige MacKenzie Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Above the Bridge (Paige MacKenzie Mystery, #1)

Above the Bridge (Paige MacKenzie Mysteries #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When Paige MacKenzie arrives in Jackson Hole, her only goal is to complete a simple newspaper assignment about the old west. However, it's not long before her instincts tell her there's more than a basic story to be found in the popular, northwestern Wyoming mountain area. A chance encounter with attractive cowboy Jake Norris soon has Paige chasing a legend of buried treas ...more
Published April 6th 2012 by Wasteland Press

To ask other readers questions about Above the Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above the Bridge

LORI CASWELL

Dollycas’s Thoughts

I purchased this book a few weeks ago because it was set in Wyoming and I needed to read a book set in that state for my Where Are You Reading? Challenge and the synopsis intrigued me too.

I was very surprised by this story led us readers and Paige MacKenzie and I don’t want to give anything away but the mystery does take a track off the well trodden path the Jake was taking.

I liked these characters. Paige is an adventurous woman and proves it more than once. Jake is searching
julieAnn edwards
Fun reading

Fun quick book just enough magic and adventure with a bit of love. looking forward to reading the next one.
Suz
Great book! This is a light, quick mystery with adventure and a hint of romance. The author’s bio says she is a travel writer and you can certainly tell that from her writing. Her descriptions of scenery and the towns are so vivid and appealing! The story takes place in and around Jackson Hole, Wyoming which never appealed to a city girl like me but, after reading this book, I’ll have to consider it! This is her first novel and I hope there are more to come in the future.
Patricia
A nice little mystery, set in romantic Jackson Hole, Wyoming. An enterprising free-lance journalist (or more or less free-lance) comes to town to pursue a story. Story is unknown, she'll find it when she gets there.
Our story opens with the heroine getting acquainted with the old time characters in the town (having spent a summer there, I don't think they'll be anywhere near the center of town, but oh well). She discovers her story - and a hot guy with an obvious secret at about the same time. T
Michelle
Deborah Garner makes the landscape and the people come to life. This story was enchanting with a hint of romance, intrigue, and an unpredictale story line. I received this book as part of the Goodreads giveaways. I thoroughly enjoyed this light, descriptive story.
Elizabeth
I loved this book. Time travel, mystery, a touch of romance, and a setting that is so well described I felt like I was there! I can't wait until she writes another! :)
Allison Kohn
This was a fascinating and enjoyable read because there were pages and pages of very well done descriptions of the area and its history. Jackson, Wyoming is my home town and I have been back to visit once in the last twenty-five to thirty years. Besides the atmosphere of the book, there is a good mystery and an even better solution to it by way of fantasy. The trip through the portals of reality are just what a book about a mystical area like northwest Wyoming needs. I recommend this book to any ...more
Sue
My apologies to the author for this - but I could not finish this book. At 48% into it I could not tie it together. The two main characters still had not 'connected' and the story just wandered all over Wyoming. An author friend of mine, while mentoring me with my own work-in-progress, reminded me of a plaque he saw..."A smart woman gets to the point". Hmmm, I think that would have been a good rule-of-thumb here! I rarely, really rarely, leave a book behind unfinished. I just can't find enough i ...more
deeann linford
A light fun easy read chasing gold.

A light fun easy read chasing gold.

A nice romance with the scenic beauty of the Jackson Hole country as a backdrop. The history of this rugged land is intertwined with delightful fantasy for a good story. It is a bit slow at times and needs a few editing tweaks to improve the whole flavor of the experience. Overall it left you with a good feeling about life in the future for the main characters. The possibility for future in-depth adventures is a definite hope.
Beth
This was a very fun read -- New Yorker Paige MacKenzie arrives in Jackson Hole Wyoming to write an article about the area. She (literally) runs into a handsome cowboy, chases buried treasure, unravels long-hidden mysteries, and even encounters the supernatural. It's very well-written, and the imagery and descriptions of the gorgeous area made me feel like I was there myself. I wish I could give it four and a half stars- the only reason I bumped it down from five was because the supernatural sect ...more
Patricia Gligor
"Above the Bridge" by Deborah Garner is definitely a book you won't want to miss. Ms. Garner has an extraordinary ability to immediately draw the reader into the story and immerse them in it. As I read the book, I felt as if I were in Jackson Hole, Wyoming with reporter Paige MacKenzie as she endeavored to solve the mystery of the missing gold. I highly recommend this novel!
Liz Wood
interesting

interesting

This,was an entertaining story, with good character development. The end is quirky enough to throw me completely off balance. I loved the descriptions of Wyoming's wonderful natural beauty. I live in the West, and felt that Ms. Garner painted word pictures adequate for the wonders of the West.
Lynda Breeding
Very nice

I normally do not read or enjoy books that have flashbacks in them, especially not where there is time travel, but I really enjoyed this book. My husband and t had lived in Montana many years ago and I enjoyed the part about Jackson Hole, as we had visited the area while in Montana.
Cecelia Winkle
Loving the legends of the west.

I really enjoyed reading Paige MacKenzie mysteries. She made me fall in love all over again with Jackson Hole. I also love clean reads without the unnecessary sexual and profanity additions.
Can't wait to read another of her books.
Darlene Edwards
Above the Bridge

Paige MacKenzie is a wonderful heroine. she's intelligent and insightful. at times, she seems to be very unsure of herself, but always manages to surprise you. a really good read and a great change of pace.
Becky
Definitely a fan of Ms. Garner. She tells an excellent story that is so easy to read and so engaging that it is hard to put down. It is fun too to read of an area that I am fairly familiar with. makes it a bit more personal to recognize some of the places and businesses in the story.
Mystery and just enough romance to make it a huge hit!!
Elizabeth Bailey
Good mystery, interesting take on dual time and historical detail. Enjoyed the pace of the book and the environment was brought vividly alive for me. I liked finding out about an area I knew nothing about before.
Colleen Ray
I found this to be an entertaining cozy, even with the addition of the science fiction element. There wasn't really enough room to explore the time travel aspect of the story in any depth, so it would be nice if the author delved into that in another book.
Elizabeth Pitt
Actually only got 37% into this book, it was a free book from amazon so I don't really feel bad not finishing it. I found it boring and too in depth with the detailing of the surroundings. It's just too slow, maybe it would have gotten better but I don't really want to spend the time to find out.
Elaine
The time-travel was a little too far out for me, but the rest of the book was a nice read. Glad I read book 2 first; I maybe wouldn't have read book 1.
bev westbrook
Great Story

I love this story. I worked in Jackson Hole for to weeks and my family has camped there. It was a great story.
Nannette Thomas
Mystery and history

A great mystery with a bit of history thrown in and a look at what the area of Wyoming is like
Karen Furlong
I read about 1/5 of the book and gave up on it. It was just too slow paced for me - just didn't seem to be going anywhere.
Deliasue
I love the western theme books by Deborah Garner, hope she writes a lot more books.
Rj Mallien
1 1/2 stars. The summary never mentioned time travel. If it had I'd never wasted my time.
Yvonna
A somewhat odd story that had the main character traveling back in time.
Heike Mershon
Pretty average. Not bad as an airplane read.
TeriC
The time travel turned me off.
Gwynn
I enjoyed this book. Will read more from this author.
Goodreads Librari...: GR Author removed all data from edition of her book 20 122 Mar 04, 2013 12:27PM
  • No Game for a Dame (Maggie Sullivan mysteries)
  • A Dead Red Oleander (A Dead Red, #3)
  • Playing With Poison (Cue Ball Mysteries, #1)
  • Just Add Salt (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #2)
  • Death Comes eCalling
  • Country Girls
  • Deadly Arrangements (The Flower Shop Mystery Series, #2)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Magic Mirror (Georgia Lee Maxwell, #1)
  • Nursing a Grudge (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #4)
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Bluff
  • Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery, #1)
  • Who, What, Where, When, Die (Avery Shaw, #1)
  • Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #2)
  • Maui Widow Waltz
  • A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries #1)
Deborah Garner is an accomplished travel writer with a passion for back roads and secret hideaways. Born and raised in California, she studied in France before returning to the U.S. to attend UCLA. After stints in graduate school and teaching, she attempted to clone herself for decades by founding and running a dance and performing arts center, designing and manufacturing clothing and accessories, ...more
More about Deborah Garner...
The Moonglow Cafe (Paige MacKenzie Mystery, #2) Cranberry Bluff