Start by marking “The Seventh Dragon: The Riddle of Equal Temperament” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Dragon: The Riddle of Equal Temperament

The Seventh Dragon: The Riddle of Equal Temperament

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  2 reviews
A veteran piano tuner presents a literary, minimally technical view of the quixotic tuning systems used on keyboard instruments for hundreds of years. The work explains temperament strategies accessibly and reflects on the technical process of piano tuning in both practical and philosophical terms.

The first edition received the Western States Book Award for creative nonfic
Published September 1st 1986 by Metamorphous Press

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Dragon

Warren
Pitch intervals sound most fulfilling if their frequencies are related by a ratio of small integers. For example, for an octave, the ratio of the frequency of the higher note to the lower note is 2:1. For a fifth, the ideal ratio is 3:2. For a tritone, the ideal ratio is 4:3. For a fourth, the ideal ratio is 5:4, and so on. For a half-step, the ideal ratio is 9:8. These intervals sound ideal to us because their higher harmonics align with and reinforce each other. Several styles of music, such a ...more
Joseph
I really liked this book that my sister sent me about tempering pianos. It's short, information specific (almost academic), and diligently prods the mysteries of music and listening. I've always had lots of questions about key theory and key tones but never received a complete answer. This was my complete answer--written well enough that even as I understood, it allowed the vastness of the incompleteness to consume me.

It also really made me really want to hear music in played in different (orig
Ronan Gil
Ronan Gil marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Krishna Dass
Krishna Dass marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Aghiad Mansour
Aghiad Mansour marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Paul Nance
Paul Nance marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Trkstr
Trkstr added it
Mar 29, 2011
April
April marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2009