Start by marking “The 15 Minute Rule” as Want to Read:
The 15 Minute Rule

The 15 Minute Rule

3.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Fifteen Minute Rule sets out to help us tackle those things that we are always putting off: starting an exercise regime, looking for a new job, doing our tax returns or learning a new skill. Or perhaps doing something to improve the quality of life, by learning to fight depression or confront an annoying habit. Perhaps it's simply clearing the huge pile of clutter from ...more
Published January 5th 2012 by Robinson

To ask other readers questions about The 15 Minute Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 15 Minute Rule

Nikki
Apr 14, 2012 Nikki rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
It's not a bad book, in the sense that it's a good core idea: any task can be handled if you give yourself fifteen minutes to make a start, and work on it for fifteen minutes straight, and then take a break and then do another fifteen minute stint. It's basically the Pomodoro technique, though, and one I've been familiar with for years -- it's not precisely revolutionary. It might be interesting if you're not familiar with the technique, or if you need a bit of a pep talk. As it is, it felt padd ...more
Dec 15, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle
Starts out okay, as a slight twist on the pomodoro technique - either variation of the approach can be very useful! However, a few chapters is then padded out into a full book and becomes a rather twee list of ways people spent 15 minutes solving the problems of the universe: "I spent 15 minutes thinking about how to solve the world's energy crisis, a second 15 minutes phoning the President, and a final 15 minutes saw the whole thing implemented! Phew, thank goodness for the 15 minute rule (and ...more
Pen
Jun 14, 2012 Pen rated it liked it
I liked the concept and am using the 15 minute rule. But really, the whole thing could have been done and dusted in a few pages, didn't need a whole book.
Carolin
Dec 10, 2012 Carolin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I have read articles, blog posts and similar along the same lines - probably in order to avoid other things - before but this one has some good examples and a friendly tone. Who knows, maybe it can really work when you try - and find a quiet corner to do it in!
Jo King
Mar 14, 2012 Jo King rated it really liked it
This book was inspirational and is helping me to actually get off my backside and get things done!
Devon Harper
Mar 24, 2016 Devon Harper rated it really liked it
Interestingly, I bought this book as something to read when procrastinating instead of doing homework and coursework. I was shocked at how useful it turned out to be and it provided insights into my life that i'd never considered before. This includes that my tendency to want to finish things all in one go actually leads to me procrastinating more than if I stopped and did other more useful things in suitable time slots.
Emily
Feb 18, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
A nice little pep talk about how "you can do anything for 15 minutes" but she could have stopped after the first chapter. Other other chapters were just how you could apply this concept to different areas in your life. Perhaps this would have been a better blog post than book? The first chapter is definitely worth reading though, if you are bogged down in procrastination somewhere.
Jacqui Allen
Sep 30, 2014 Jacqui Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-keeper
This was a quick, concise read about how to effectively tackle those projects that just seem too big/scary/overwhelming. It's primary idea is to work on these projects for 15 minutes (setting a timer) and break them down until they are achievable and you have a plan to complete. This seems easy and I have started using this with good success.

Simple and effective for those of us stuck in a rut/procrastiontown.
Stefanie
May 10, 2014 Stefanie rated it liked it
I skipped 30% of the examples because they didn't apply to me. There are some pretty food ideas in this one, though. The case studies are what makes the book useful. Anything else is pretty much common knowledge by now.
Denise Mitchell
Mar 20, 2012 Denise Mitchell rated it did not like it
Sadly there isn't anything in this book that hasn't been said before.

I have followed the Pomodoro Technique for years and this is exactly the same - the only difference is that you work in blocks of 15 minutes instead of 20.

There were many case studies clearly included to pad the book out but to me they didn't add anything.

Disappointing on the whole.
Penny
Nov 27, 2012 Penny rated it did not like it
Like a lot of others I'm glad I only paid 99p for this book. It had a good idea but over-applied it, I think. Some of the visualisation elements bothered me, but they are simply not my style. Interesting to have read, but only a limited amount to take away from it.
Marina
Apr 06, 2012 Marina rated it liked it
A useful book with helpful advice on tackling those overwhelming tasks that you can't face and keep putting off.
Rich Bright
Mar 08, 2013 Rich Bright rated it liked it
Good central idea and I have been using some of the concepts, but it could have been more developed and focused.
Yorky Caz
Apr 29, 2012 Yorky Caz rated it really liked it
A simple idea and who doesnt have 15 minutes to spare so no excuses!
Helen Messom
Helen Messom rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Mihaela Munteanu
Mihaela Munteanu marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Zahra
Zahra marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
cometstrike
cometstrike rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Liz Chamberlain
Liz Chamberlain marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Mizzv
Mizzv marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Audra
Audra is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2016
WILLIAM DEE
WILLIAM DEE rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Adam Sulkowski
Adam Sulkowski rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Sue Deeley
Sue Deeley marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Georgina Chinaka
Georgina Chinaka rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Fiona
Fiona rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Tricia Neville
Tricia Neville marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Debbie Glover
Debbie Glover rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016