Start by marking “Paradise” as Want to Read:
Paradise

Paradise

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
They promised her that no matter what happened, they would be waiting there for her. They promised that it would only be two weeks, a short vacation, just some time to spend together and away from the daily demands of parenthood. They promised it would be just like going to sleep, and before she knew it, it would be over. These were promises they could not keep.

They always
Kindle Edition, 1, 289 pages
Published January 25th 2012 by Jon Fore (first published December 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise

Jonathan Fore
Feb 06, 2012 Jonathan Fore rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am the author of this book, so I really like it.
Kathleen Ann Bergen
Mar 18, 2012 Kathleen Ann Bergen rated it really liked it
Once you turn off your inner editor, this is a wonderful book. When a young woman from a high tech future manages to survive a near extinction event, she awakens in a woman's body with a mind full of computer generated knowledge, in a world very different from the one she fell asleep in as a child. Sci -fi, adventure, romance and more are mingled in this esoteric novel that beautifully depicts the power of both a culture and individuals to overcome "the way it is" and see the light of "what coul ...more
Regina
Feb 20, 2012 Regina rated it it was amazing
A beautiful work that explores life after the fall of modern civilization when what was left of humanity has returned to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, that is until the appearance of an "ancient" (modern human being) who awakes from the chamber where she has been frozen for generations. This special "yellow haired girl", having been exposed to a wealth of modern information and knowledge during her slumber through the technology of the past, leads her adoptive tribe to a new vision of civilizatio ...more
Lisa
Aug 05, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read sci-fi but a friend recommended it and I was pleasantly surprised! The concept of this book was a really good one, very fresh and unique! Hope is so well developed, and the minor characters were rich and interesting. The twists never detracted from my complete enjoyment of this book. As a story about love, fighting for survival, and (no pun intended) hope even in a dystopian age, Paradise is truly a fantastic book.
Jennifer at BookShelfery
Per Wikipedia:
Paradise is a religious term for a place in which existence is positive, harmonious and timeless. It is conceptually a counter-image of the supposed miseries of human civilization, and in paradise there is only peace, prosperity, and happiness. Paradise is a place of contentment, but it is not necessarily a land of luxury and idleness.
Paradise is often described as a “higher place”, the holiest place, in contrast to Hell.

Paradise by Jon Fore can only be described as a thought-provo
Darby
Mar 19, 2012 Darby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I liked about the story (without trying to give too much away) is that though it was sort of a dystopia kind of book it wasn't all that tragically sad. The ending was very good, a little sad but still happy. Um, yeah. So if any questions feel free to ask.
Cheryl
Feb 29, 2012 Cheryl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Adventure time! Go, call your friends!
Kelley
Oct 24, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved this book!
Chelsea
Jun 20, 2012 Chelsea rated it liked it
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. When I first started reading this book, it seemed like a cross between 'Clan of the Cave Bear' and 'Idiocracy.' I still can't think of a better way to describe the concept/setting of this book. Hope is put in a containment unit that keeps her in suspended animation while her parents go on a trip; however, while she is in there an apocalyptic event happens that wipes out most of the people on Earth. We are then transported to Michigan ...more
John
Apr 22, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great premise, but didn't really feel things were developed. Certain parts of the boom were rushed, which in my opinion were more interesting to explore and certain things had a lot of time spent when I didn't think it was overly important. The ending felt quite a bit rushed as well. There were so many editing errors as well that distracted fem the story.
Icia
Jun 04, 2012 Icia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book was not alltogether great. It was what I had hoped for. It was worth the read however. It makes you wonder about what life may be like after civilization... And that is a question I have wondered.
Marika Taylor
Apr 13, 2012 Marika Taylor rated it liked it
I loved the idea of the book more than the book itself. Had potential but failed to live up to it.
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Katrina Lantz
Katrina Lantz marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Eleanor Nettleton
Eleanor Nettleton is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Silent
Silent marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Daniel Hansen
Daniel Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Brett
Brett rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Ilana
Ilana marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
  • What Came After
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Spire
  • Gyges the Terrible
  • No Shelter (No Shelter, #1)
  • The Great Bay: Chronicles of the Collapse
  • 21 Erased
  • Terminal Point (Strykers Syndicate, #2)
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Getting Out of Jersey (Undead-Earth, #1)
  • The Water Thief
  • Welcome to Adelheid (Adelheid #1-3)
  • From a Distance
  • Vestige
  • Creation
  • Petroplague
  • Wrecked (Bad Metal, #1)
  • Twist
Jonathan Fore was born in Marysville, Ohio in 1968, the third son of Dave and Judy Fore. After graduating Manalapan High School in 1987, Jon enlisted in the United States Navy, serving a combat role during Desert Storm.

Jonathan lives in Florida with his beautiful wife Lisa, and three wonderful children, two dogs (Katie aka. Nutter-Butter-Butt and Po-po), and a cat or two. The cats' names were wi
More about Jonathan Fore...