Start by marking “Little Fur Family” as Want to Read:
Little Fur Family

Little Fur Family

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  651 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
There was a little fur family
warm as toast
smaller than most
in little fur coats
and they lived in a warm wooden tree.

The Little Fur Family tells the story of a little fur child's day in the woods. The day ends when his big fur parents tuck him in bed "all soft and warm," and sing him to sleep with a lovely bedtime song.

Cuddle up to a classic with this timeless story! Garth W
Published January 21st 2003 by HarperFestival (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Little Fur Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Fur Family

The Story About Ping by Marjorie FlackThe Little House by Virginia Lee BurtonFive Children and It by E. NesbitMillions of Cats by Wanda GágThe Adventures of Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard of...
97th out of 1,032 books — 743 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Favorite Comfort Reads
400th out of 1,021 books — 600 voters

More lists with this book...

Cristin
This isn't the right edition...The one I had was tiny and gray and made entirely of fur. It was nothing short of amazing. My sister still has it somewhere.
I wanted to lick the illustrations and adopt the little fur child and squeeze the little fur parents and dive right into the little fur house!

Shawn Thrasher
Aug 15, 2012 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was amazing
When you read Little Fur Family in the 21st century, it's an almost sadly nostalgic picture book. The Fur Mother bathing her child in a old fashioned tub, the Fur Child's Depression-era coat and hat; the glow of lantern and candle and firelight as night falls at the end. This isn't necessarily a deep story (although I've since read that there are themes of life and death, and the power over death, which is faintly disturbing to me); it's powerful because it's simple. Small adventures - catching ...more
Kathy
May 09, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
"There was a little fur family
warm as toast
smaller than most
in little fur coats
and they lived in a warm wooden tree."

Margaret Wise Brown always combines the magical, the poetic, and the comfortable into her books in varying degrees. This is a simple story about a day in the life of a little fur boy. He is washed, explores the woods and is sung a bedtime song by his parents. There is a lot of rhyme, but it is not forced into a pattern. My boys laugh when the child and the grandpa sneeze.

John's fa
Kristen Eckhardt
Category/Genre: Picture Book
Age Level: Pre K-3rd Grade
Reading Level: 1st/2nd grade, approximately

This edition of “Little Fur Family,” small and covered in (faux) fur, reflects its very characters—charming for those just becoming acquainted with the wonder of books, or for the elementary reader who recognizes just how clever the production of this tome is. This story showcases the cozy family life of an indeterminate species of small, furry animal who lives snugly in a tree and who have at their
Kristl
Apr 25, 2012 Kristl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of small children
Favorite bedtime book for the boy. As always, Brown's words are poetic and in this case, drift you slowly into sleepiness. Williams's illustrations provide ongoing conversation for our family as well. Got it as a gift and will give it as a gift any chance I get.
Joshlynn
Jul 28, 2013 Joshlynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Am I the only one who thinks this is menacing as hell? What are these ambiguous "fur animals" and why are they wearing FUR COATS?
Stephanie
May 25, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE BOOK in the ENTIRE history of my reading career
Jamie Niedecker
Apr 09, 2015 Jamie Niedecker rated it it was ok
Sarah Sammis
An old favorite shared with my son.
Donna Davis
This darling little children's book was a part of all of my babies' childhoods, which is saying a lot, since there is a fifteen year gap between oldest and youngest. It is a tiny volume, not a board book, but rather it comes clothed in a very soft fake-fur cover that a small child can readily hold, and which is not so easily torn, since it takes fine motor skills to rip such little pages. It is a traditional tale of great comfort (perhaps more useful in traditional families). The fur father goes ...more
Denis Markell
Aug 27, 2013 Denis Markell rated it it was amazing
What can be said about this book other than I doubt it could be published today - Margaret Wise Brown was true to her own muse, and I doubt any editor could tell her what to write. It is bizarre (what kinds of animals are these? Why is a bear's grandfather a dog? What is the littlest creature?) It is amazingly comforting for most small children to have this read to them, and I set the song to a melody which I sang to my son as part of a medley of songs I had to sing over and over every night bet ...more
Laura Verret
I love Garth Williams’ illustrations. I really do. His job on the Little House on the Prairie Series is positively legendary, and he created darling illustrations for several of Margaret Wise Brown’s stories as well. However, his illustrations in this particular story are a tiny bit creepy. I guess it is less the style, so much as the fact that the little creatures themselves had strange faces.

The story itself doesn’t have much to it – little fur child goes out for a walk and meets various fur p
Rbettermann
This book is about a little fur family that dresses up and lives their life in a warm wooden tree. A simple, rhythmic and comforting story that would bring wonderment and joy to any child. I would recommend this book for grades k - 2.
Lori
Feb 28, 2014 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
This is kind of a quiet little book that I didn't love, but a young child might really like. It is typical Margaret Wise Brown...kind of comforting.
Liz Burke
May 14, 2015 Liz Burke rated it it was amazing
One of the best children's books, ever! Margaret Wise Brown is a favorite of many, and Garth Williams is my favorite book illustrator.
Tanya
Mar 19, 2014 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My daughter loves this book and I thought it was pretty cute to. it was fun to read
Emma
May 21, 2015 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: children-2015
Margaret Wise Brown's Little Fur Family is the glimpse into the lives of a family of small fur critters that is both poetic and nostalgic. My own little critters enjoyed this tale although my 3 year old insisted that the little fur family was a family of monsters. You win some you lose some, I guess.
Amar Pai
Dec 18, 2013 Amar Pai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
The art in this book feels like slides from a slideshow. (Not in a bad way) The story is similar to Little Bear. It's mostly "realistic", except for when little bear is at the river looking at stuff. First he picks up a fish... then he picks up a lady bug... then he sees a miniature version of himself walk right by. I enjoyed this one page hallucination in midst bear family neorealism

This book came out in 1946. It's 30 years older than me. Older than ISBN
janet, j. & callum morgan-robbins
this book is surreal, but very sweet.
again, it is a callum favourite.
the phrasing is kind of weird and cal is mostly excited about the sneezing and the "thump thump thump" action words.
again, it's a gentle book that end with a song - the lyrics are there, but we have to make up the melody, which is cool because it naturally changes with each read.
it's the trippyness of the book makes it enjoyable for me as a parent to read.
Robert
Nov 09, 2014 Robert rated it it was ok
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: animals, fiction, 2-6, donated
I guess it is me, but this story didn't do much for me. Sure, I liked Garth Williams' illustrations. I always like his work. The story is supposed to be one of those gentle loving ones. Yeah, I don't care much for them. :)

Do we know what kind of animal this is? Why is it that I am supposed to be all mushy after reading this?

To each his own. If you like it, enjoy! I'll skip this one in the future.
Kat
Mar 04, 2009 Kat rated it it was amazing
The size! oh, it is all about the size and the fur and the tininess of the entire book, illustrations, and mood. I treasure the bazillions of times I read this book snuggling with my son - it was pricey for the time I bought it, but worth every cent. I have given this book as a gift over and over again and it is a simple treasure. The fur cover is just the best, ridiculous touch - this book is such a treasure.
David
Nov 26, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
This is some freaky stuff. It took me a looooong time to figure out what this story was REALLY about. A totally puzzling experience--I think that is the point. Life is very puzzling, and so is the book Little Fur Family. There is some weird thing in it about holding a vole, and being much larger than a vole, and then running through some woods that are much larger than you.
Marie
Apr 05, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poetic warm, cozy story- nice use of alliteration- lovely book to read aloud to 3 years and up. Margaret Wise Brown's language is spot on. Another genius! It is also a nice book, after having it read to him or her, for the young elementary reader to read to someone. :) Her language makes it easy to remember the story, even if the child doesn't yet know all the words.
Sally Stap
Jan 08, 2014 Sally Stap rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. I read this to my daughters when they were young and now I am buying it for my grandson. A great story. Adorable.
Jenny
Jan 19, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
I remember checking this book out from my primary school library in first grade, and LOVING it. I thought it was so cute, and especially loved the tiny tiny fur animal, the littlest fur animal in the world. I just checked this out of the library for Annea and I love it all over again. Garth Williams' illustrations are so incredibly wonderful.
Marcy Ongert
Jan 31, 2015 Marcy Ongert rated it really liked it
I really like this book. It is simple, yet somehow profound. I like the way it describes going out on an adventure into the world and returning to a safe, cozy home at the end of the adventure. I want to live in the little tree! I hope my son feels like our home is a cozy, safe place to return to at the end of his daily adventures.
Vicki
Nov 08, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone buying gift for a preK child
Had to re-read before making a gift. I was a Family Literacy specialist in Head Start (1450 families, staff and parents in the 100s). This is a favorite of all! Mine, too, and my own children's.
Kelda
Aug 20, 2008 Kelda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents and Children
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a funny little book about a simple day in the life of a little fur child. He runs out to have an adventure in the "wild wild woods" around his home. The use of the word "wild" repetedly in discribing aspects of nature is moody and fantastic. Yet the comfort and safty of his home is a sturdy presance.
Amy Burrous
Jan 12, 2008 Amy Burrous rated it it was amazing
This book was written by the author of Goodnight Moon, a book every child receives several copies of upon being born. She was a Greenpointer and went to Bankstreet. The illustrations were done by the same guy that did the Little House on the Prairie books. The book is really quirky and the drawings are beautiful.
Lisa
Sep 22, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
This little book is so fabulous. It appealed to my kids so much, that now I have it memorized. Its a little hard to find (I usually have to ask the bookstore to order it if I am buying it as a gift), but worth the effort. I had a copy when I was a child, and am glad it is still in print.
  • Oh, What A Busy Day!
  • The Lonely Doll
  • The Jolly Christmas Postman
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
  • No No Yes Yes
  • Hands: growing up to be an artist
  • Mole Music
  • Toot & Puddle: Let It Snow
  • Adèle and Simon
  • Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...