Start by marking “Bailey at the Museum” as Want to Read:
Bailey at the Museum

Bailey at the Museum (Bailey the Dog)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  39 reviews

Bailey is very excited about the school trip to the Museum of Natural History. After all, he loves to dig up bones even more than an archeologist!

And besides bones, there's lots of fun to be had with tepees, totem poles, and dinosaur skeletons. Bailey's classmates never know what will happen next: maybe that's why the museum guard becomes Bailey's special partner.

Bailey is
Published September 1st 2012 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Bailey at the Museum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bailey at the Museum

Maryam
My kindergarten students were under-whelmed. Maybe a 1st or 2nd grade class would have appreciated it more. I was not as happy with this book as with the first Bailey. I think there was a little too much grown-up humor in the speech bubbles. And even though I know that's what I initially appreciated about Bliss's first Bailey, there was something a little "too-too" about it in the museum book.
Cathy
I liked this one even more than the first Bailey book, it was just really cute. Bailey's personality came across more in this one and the situations he got into seemed funnier to me. There were just so many opportunities to highlight how Bailey was different from the other children in the class in cute ways. I really liked when they learned about dream catchers and Bailey wondered if they could help him with his squirrel problem, as a dog companion myself, I know how much that rivalry can be wor ...more
April
1. Rating: 4
2. A book review by Publisher's Weekly says, "Precocious, school-going dog Bailey joins his human classmates on a field trip to the Museum of Natural History in his second picture book. As the class observes a dinosaur exhibits, Bailey gets distracted by T. rex bones. An understanding museum guard swoops in (“I think he’s hungry. I feel his tummy growling,” he reports), and the two become friends. Bliss strikes a note of hilarity with the combination of serious museum decorum and Bai
Kylie
Oct 22, 2012 Kylie added it
Shelves: habelldigital
Summary:
“Bailey at the Museum,” is an adventurous book for elementary children. Bailey is the only dog is class and she’s excited for their class field trip. Their class is heading to the Museum of Natural History. Once their class is at the Museum Bailey learns quick on how to act inside a museum. She even gets partnered up with a special security guard. Bailey has fun discovering new things inside the museum as well as making new friends.

Audience:
This book would be great for children prepar
Lisa
Bailey is a likable dog, the only non-human student in Mrs. Smith's elementary school class. In this book, the class takes a field trip to a natural history museum. Bailey is very excited about the field trip, but early on he becomes a bit too interested in the dinosaur bones, starts to chew on them, and is assigned a new "buddy", a museum security guard. From there on, Bailey is very well-behaved, and the guard likes him very much. When Bailey takes a quick nap in a teepee, he and the guard bec ...more
Marissa Reyes
The piece of writing Bailey at the Museum by Harry Bliss is a well written children's book because it gives kids in the classroom, who have never been exposed to a Museum, the opportunity to see that a Museum has the ability to freeze history in time in order to teach children what they would not learn in the four walls of a classroom. The illustrations are creative and let the children's imagination run wild as it feeds off children's humor. A prime example is when Bailey begins to chew on the ...more
Elaine Heumann
It seems a theme about museums are they are big and easy to get lost in, guards are friendly and give you presents and guides walk you around an point. It is the most traditional and boring view of museums. So not a good rating here.
Maddypictures
Bailey the dog is excited to head out to the Natural Science museum on a school field trip. He's a bit naughty (goes to chew on a dinosaur bone!) but pulls himself together by the end of the story and saves the day by sniffing out the rest of the group when they get lost. The thing that struck me the most about this book were all the characters who loved to read! All the kids are reading graphic novels and comic books on the bus ride. Even the museum guard whips out a book about how to guard thi ...more
Julee
Bailey the dog is off to the Museum of Natural History where he learns about Dinosaur bones (yum) and other interesting topics while also making a new friend.
Denise
Easy quick read.
Courtney Angelo
This book was very playful! I enjoyed hearing the adventure of Bailey and the guard. This book is enjoyable for children because it brings one of children's favorite pets to life. I like that it addresses the lesson of behaving at important places like museums, and knowing to be respectful. Often times, children misbehave in the wrong place because they don't know any better. I would enjoy bringing this into the classroom because it would be easy-going and silly for the children. Fun illustratio ...more
Rosa
Bailey and his class go on a class trip to the museum. How it is that Bailey (who is a puppy and does walk on four leg) became part of a human class must be from a previous book. There are all kinds of funny and silly visual jokes that I think will make kids love this. Bailey makes a new friend in the security guard. I think this is best for one on one sharing b/c there are lots of side conversations and thought bubbles that would be awkward for group read aloud.
Kristen Dota
I really enjoyed this book, I thought it was creative how the author used comic bubbles to tell half the story has well as the original text of the story. This is a perfect book for all classrooms since they will be going on field trips of their very own and it is important to know the rules in order to be safe. This book was very humorous and also I found myself learning as if I was actually there in the museum with them. Great book!
Ariel Cummins
Bailey, the very mischievous dog, goes with his class to the natural history museum. He tries really hard to be good, but its so hard! He gets in the usual trouble, but he learns stuff and makes a friend or two in the process. Fun and funny, with lots of jokes, word play, and sight gags.

Bright, cartoony art compliments the story without overwhelming it.

This could definitely be a fun read for slightly older kiddos.
Samantha
Bailey the dog goes on a school trip to the Museum of Natural History and causes a little chaos. This would be a great book to share with early elementary classes getting ready to go on a field trip, especially to a museum. The text/story covers some of the dos and don'ts of field trips and incorporates a lot of humor. Illustrations contain many speech/thought bubbles giving the story a comic book feel. Fun read aloud.
Rachel
I am always on the lookout for cute picture books which take place in a museum. I rather liked this one, where a young dog named Bailey goes with his elementary school class to the Natural History Museum (the Smithsonian one is still one of my favorite museums) and gets to see dinosaur bones, cave men, and Native American exhibits. He makes a friend and gets a gift. Recommended for ages 4-7, 4 stars.
Meg McGregor
Bailey takes a class trip to the Museum of History and certainly enjoys himself. Little ones will laugh with glee at his adventures, especially when climbing one of the dinosaurs, and sleeping in the teepee!

Great to read before and after museum trips which I encourage parents and caregivers to do at least once a month - if not more!
Marcia
The illustrations in this book are so cute, the story almost doesn't matter. PrK-2 will love this story of Bailey, the school going dog, as he visits the nAtural History Museum with his class. He tries to behave, but his natural dog instincts kick in. Reminds me of Curious George a bit with his mischievous curiosity. A fun read aloud.
Peacegal
3.5 stars -- This book does not star the Bailey I know--a cross-eyed and frequently drooling Siamese cat--but rather a cute little cartoon dog. This book was very nicely illustrated (the dinosaurs especially so). I was also impressed that a children's book had the guts to show a museum chart depicting evolution--good for them.
Margie
When Harry Bliss first introduced readers to the school loving pooch in Bailey laughter was the main event. In this title Bailey goes to the Museum of Natural History with humor prevalent in text and illustrations.

My full review:
Amalia Ricksecker
PB 2: A little bit longer than expected, but this book was fun and interactive. There was a narrative on each page describing what was going on, but what each character was saying was put in speech bubbles which made reading each page a little more fun and interactive (doing different voices for different characters)!
Taylor Brune
Bailey at the Museum is a great book for 1st and 2nd graders. There is a small amount of text on each page, with great illustrations. It shows how Bailey is different from his other classmates (he is a dog and they are not), but does a great job at showing how everyone accepts him, despite his differences.
Alice
I fell in love with Bailey. He;s my kind of enthusiastic student on his museum field trip. Naturally his curiosity tempts him to bend a few museum rules. Who hasn't wanted to stop at a museum for a nap in a nice quite out of the way place! This is a keeper.
Mary
This is a great introduction to speech and thought bubbles for children and is the adorable story of a little dog who gets too excited in a museum. His antics get him in trouble, but all ends well. The images are very entertaining and would be a good read aloud book.
Emily
I liked this book because it reminded me of "Curious George." It's a cute little book that shows Bailey getting into all sorts of situations! I think that children would find it hilarious. It even made me laugh out loud a few times!
Great Books
This book is a fun romp through a museum through Bailey the dog's eyes. A good natured guard becomes his partner to help keep him out of trouble and learn a bit too. Lots of fun pictures. reviewer 12
Ellen Ramsey
Bailey is fascinated by dinosaur bones, totem poles, and tepees, and of course lunch. Funny, funny, funny with marvelous details in the illustrations. Bailey is a lovable, earnest dog!
Lorna
Bailey is an adorable puppy who gets into some mischief on a school field trip with humans. He's not a bad dog, just a curious puppy. Nice illustrations and lots to look at.
Lorna
Part of the Harry series... Harry joins the class on a field trip to that natural history museum and gets into some predictable trouble. Younger kids will get a kick out of Harry.
Holly Thompson
Bailey is at it again. Being mischievous on his field trip is a great way to remind all of our students of the rules when we are on field trips. Plus, it's funny and a nice book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • Nelly May Has Her Say
  • Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money
  • Another Brother
  • Where's Mommy?
  • Brave Squish Rabbit
  • Back to Front and Upside Down!
  • Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas
  • Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
  • Because I'm Your Dad
Harry Bliss grew up in upstate New York in a family of successful painters and illustrators, so it wasn’t any surprise that he, too, went on to study painting at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and illustration at the University of the Arts and Syracuse University. He has illustrated numerous book covers and is a cartoonist and cover artist for THE NEW YORKER magazine. In the tradition o ...more
More about Harry Bliss...
Bailey Luke on the Loose Death by Laughter Diary of a Worm Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?