Start by marking “4000 Years of Uppity Women” as Want to Read:
4000 Years of Uppity Women

4000 Years of Uppity Women (Uppity Women)

Since ancient times, irrepressible women have broken all kinds of barriers. They ruled. They invented. They cured people. They killed people. They ran cities and businesses. The won races, athletic and political. They explored. They bankrolled explorers. They even bankrolled religions. Almost every organized religion, from Christianity to Buddhism to Quaker, has gotten off ...more
Published 2011 by MJF Books

To ask other readers questions about 4000 Years of Uppity Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 4000 Years of Uppity Women

Linda LaRoche
Jul 27, 2013 Linda LaRoche rated it it was ok
While it may be clear to some that author Vicki Leon did research, it wasn't to me. In fact I wondered why she chose to take up space with gibberish instead of real writing material. Uppity Women is written in a way that is ridiculous and gets in the way of the material. She tries too hard to be funny that's she's not. With attempts at being humorous and often referring to women by nicknames that she herself has created, she chooses to use a dated, cool-cat style that just doesn't suit the mater ...more
Kate Lynn
Jun 17, 2017 Kate Lynn rated it it was ok

León's book is absolutely crammed with women throughout the ages. I enjoyed finding women I had never heard of, but I wish the author had chosen less women and then expanded on their life and why they are important to history. Honestly, some of the women shouldn't have been in here. Others who are notable and not well known were missing. Don't get me started on her treatment of Sally Hemings. The section for her is titled "What "Love Slave" Once Meant," yikes.

The language used also bot
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 09, 2012 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it
It was a lot of fun to read about all these women who have been hidden in history.

While the stories were good, I found it best to read a couple in a setting. Too many in one sitting got repetitive. Also, due to the length of the entries (a couple of paragraphs), the ladies sometimes became interchangeable. Don't read this expecting an in depth analysis and also be prepared for a light-hearted biography that's tongue-in-cheek, not serious academia.

But really, this was just a lot of fun and really
Victoria Adams
Dec 01, 2013 Victoria Adams rated it really liked it
There is one aisle I should never, ever visit at Barnes and Noble; but oh the treasurers I would miss. I really can’t walk into one of those stores without browsing up and down the bargain aisle. Not only are there delightful treasures, but they are at such tempting prices. Even though I’m now in publishing and know what those discounts mean to the author; well, they’re irresistible. This past week I finally had an opportunity to check out one of those bargains and had a few much needed giggles. ...more
Dawn
Aug 08, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
People who know me well know that I'm a big fan of women who step out of what's expected of them by "civilized" society, so naturally when I saw this title in B&N's uber-clearance sale, I had to get it. From ancient times to 1899, Leon gives us a peek at the women who dared to be different. There are some expected big names (like Cleopatra), but there are more women you've never heard of doing extraordinary things -- good and bad. Book printers, blacksmiths, pirates, revolutionary fighters - ...more
Red Kempf
This covers all those subjects and more. The uppity women featured have an astounding diversity as a group. Many wouldn't want to be in the same group as the others. 4,000 Years of Uppity Women is as historically accurate as it can, and when the switch from known facts move to probable theories it is well noted.

As with each of the individual Uppity Women books, this only goes in chronological order. It can be picked up and put down or even opened to any page and you won't be lost. Each woman has
Gaby
Dec 27, 2013 Gaby rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the premise of this book and was excited to read about plenty of "uppity women" throughout history as this is an area that I am interested in but haven't done much research on. I thought this was a good introduction to the subject and a good springboard for further research. However, I could not get past the writing style of this author! The informality made her seem almost flippant, and it bothered me to no end, but this is an entirely personal opinion. Some readers may enjoy ...more
Kathryn
Jun 16, 2015 Kathryn added it
Shelves: 2015
This non-fiction book is a very easy read, and does what it promises, giving us mini-biographies of women throughout history who, one way or another, did things their way, without asking permission. I enjoyed reading this book, as it was perfect for reading before bedtime.

The author goes through four major sections: Uppity Women of Ancient Times (ca. 2500 B.C. – A.D. 450), Uppity Women of Medieval Times (ca. A.D. 450 – 1450), Uppity Women of Renaissance Times (1450 -1750), and Uppity Women of th
Brittannia
May 18, 2016 Brittannia rated it really liked it

Really it was a 4.5 out of 5, but there were not enough references for a book citing history. She had an extensive bibliography, but no footnotes. It matters because one can't just blurt out your own opinions when it comes to history. No personal theories, please!

This book was tragic and hilarious. An easy, enjoyable read.
Lindsay
So this book was overall okay. It divided the stories up into different times, and they were all mostly short. Some longer stories featured multiple women if they were all in the same vein. It was actually an easy read since the stories were maybe 1/2 pg - 1 pg so putting it down, starting & stopping was not an issue (clearly... since I put it down for about 2 months straight).

It was definitely interesting, and I learned about a lot of people I had otherwise never heard of. She covered the
Jun 10, 2017 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I have nothing against colloquial, casual writing about history, that's how I talk about historical figures all the time. However, I felt like this book frequently came off as extremely flip about the suffering these women experienced, especially when it came to enslaved women like Sally Hemings. 2 1/2 stars for at least appearing to be well researched and for not glossing over evidence that many of these notable women were romantically involved with other women.
Melynda
Jun 26, 2017 Melynda rated it it was ok
It was an interesting list of women's names but barely any information is given as you are reading through and I don't know about anybody else, but I was reading for information, not a list of names that I should independently research.
Kaylee
Jul 06, 2017 Kaylee rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Loved flipping through and picking random pages to read. Lots of really interesting and sometimes hilarious history. Really enjoyed.
Casey Clementine
Sep 27, 2016 Casey Clementine rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. It was interesting reading about so many cool and interesting women but some of the entries weren't as detailed as they could have been. Definitely a fun read though!
Kayla
Apr 19, 2015 Kayla rated it it was ok
I was pretty disappointed with this book, which is a shame because I really wanted to like it. It was just way too much in too short a book and no one profile really went as in depth as I wanted. Every time I found myself stumbling on an interesting fact about one of the women in the book, I also found about one sentence describing that fact and then it was on to the next person! I get that this may have been meant to just be an exposure to these great women throughout history, but I felt like t ...more
Michelle
May 18, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
This is a fun collection of snippets covering four millennia. It's strength is certainly not in depth of coverage for the individual but it's breadth of personalities. This is the perfect introductory antidote for anyone who thinks history is just a bunch of dates about things done by dead white guys. Here we find examples of successful and pioneering women in business, medicine, military, literature, art, science, technology, and more.

The brief biological sketches are written in an engaging and
Katie Tatton
Jan 30, 2014 Katie Tatton rated it it was ok
4000 Years of Uppity Women gives brief reviews of women who were unwilling to behave as society would have them, instead becoming the movers and shakers of their respective time. We are given bite sized histories of Joan of Arc and Cleopatra, as well as heretofore unknown women (at least to most of us) who stepped up in times of crisis and took over everything from businesses to wars. The prose in this book is witty and rollicking, but the meat of the stories is often left just out of reach. I'd ...more
Steve Wiggins
Dec 23, 2015 Steve Wiggins rated it liked it
No doubt, women often get overlooked in history. Vicki León provides a fresh, snappy history in snippets of women who somehow managed to make it into the history books mostly written by men. There are some fascinating facts to be found here, but probably nothing that will stun the reader permanently. Like many books that cover a wide swath of history, some sections are better than others. Still, supporting the effort to make women visible in the historical records, fun books like this are import ...more
Corey
Jul 19, 2014 Corey rated it really liked it
I wish this book had more detail and the stories were longer, but other than that it was a pretty interesting read! This book will lead me to looking into many of these women, and the history surrounding women in general.

Its really just a bunch of short stories, some as little as a page, which is unfortunate. However this was done well, had an interesting style and was fun to read!

Something of a coffee table book, you probably won't be reading this for hours on end, its something you'd pick up
Nick Sweet
May 08, 2015 Nick Sweet rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite go to books that I have read over and over again. While this work does cover some well known women that have been explored in other historical works and books, for the most part the women mentioned here are ones you may not be familiar with, and covers a wide ranger of women from the early days of Mesopotamia and ending in the early years of the New World. I love this book and still do.
Gary Fowler
Oct 29, 2013 Gary Fowler rated it liked it
Good fun! This book is a good intro to the entire "Uppity Women" series by the author: brief stories of many dozens of women from about 2500 B.C. to 1900 A.D., who stepped up to and beyond the limitations and tradtions of their times. She has obviously done considerable research. The history is solid, but the writing style is far from stiff and scholarly: alternately casual, conversational, flippant, funny, punny, sometimes suggestive--or combinations of all of the above.
Echo
Nov 01, 2012 Echo rated it really liked it
An interesting look at women throughout history and all over the world. There wasn't a lot of information on any of the woman, sometimes just a sentence or two and never more than a couple of pages. But the entries were never long enough for me to get tired of reading about anyone, and there were certainly a lot of interesting women to read about. There is a list in the back of other books to seek out more information on some of them.
Dee
May 20, 2013 Dee rated it it was ok
It was really interesting to discover how many women in the ancient world were "uppity", since we've been led to believe women's lib is something new. This book easily dispels that notion with over 120 short stories about women from c2500 B.C. through 1899 A.D. The authors' cutesy writing style annoyed me, but the fact that she could track down information on that many daring women surprised me. It just proves, you can't keep a good woman down!!
Barb Martin
Mar 29, 2015 Barb Martin rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed in this book. It was flippant and mistakes personal tragedy for strength. Hint. A 10-year-old girl forced into marriage or a sexual relationship with a much older man isn't a sign of female strength. It's a sign of a sick society that would allow such a thing. Too many of the book's snippets outlined the bad things done to women but failed to offer any insights into how these women might have found strength to overcome and persevere in the face of adversity.
Amanda
A great compendium of women -- some I knew of, but many I did not! I'm always fascinated by women's roles in history, as they've been relegated to the sidelines. Leon takes these women, obscure or not, and makes them interesting, hilarious, and relevant to women and historians alike. I can't wait to dive into the bibliography and links she provides to learn more.
Deb Marlowe
Feb 07, 2017 Deb Marlowe rated it it was amazing
Light hearted look at hundreds of women who had the strength of mind and spirit to be themselves.
Miranda
Jun 01, 2014 Miranda rated it really liked it
This was a quick read and an easy one at that. Very enjoyable to read the exploits of daring women who were lost to history. Particulary loved the ancient women section as so much history has downplayed or eiminated the role women have played in shaping the world in which we now live. To be so wonderfully remembered in print is certainly an achievement for all the women in the book!
Cynthia
The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because it was too short! I get why, the publishers probably wanted it to be a quick read, but I felt like all of the women in the book deserved their own chapter. At times, they even shared paragraphs.

It's a great jumping point for any research though.
georgia
Mar 12, 2015 georgia rated it liked it
2011 207 pages

this is a quick read filled to the brim with historical information about women from 2500 B>C> to 1899. Women who were pirates, beer makes, queens, voodoo priests, first woman born on American soil, medical inventors and so. I quick one page read about each of these women. A good book for a woman's history college course.

Savina
Jul 25, 2014 Savina rated it it was amazing
While I had heard of a few names that were mentioned, the remaining hundreds were a fascinating read. Vicki Leon really brings women of history to the front of the class and makes for a fascinating read. I look forward to reading her other books as well as the historical documents that she used for her research.
  • Hell Hath No Fury: True Stories of Women at War from Antiquity to Iraq
  • Bad Girls
  • Scandalous Women: The Lives and Loves of History's Most Notorious Women
  • The Death of Kings: A Medical History of the Kings and Queens of England
  • Ask the Past: Pertinent and Impertinent Advice from Yesteryear
  • Chronicle of the Queens of Egypt: From Early Dynastic Times to the Death of Cleopatra
  • The Butcher's Tale: Murder and Anti-Semitism in a German Town
  • Education's End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the Meaning of Life
  • A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans: Pirates, Skinflints, Patriots, and Other Colorful Characters Stuck in the Footnotes of History
  • Shakespeare's Pub: A Barstool History of London as Seen Through the Windows of Its Oldest Pub - The George Inn
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • Royal Affairs: A Lusty Romp Through the Extramarital Adventures That Rocked the British Monarchy
  • Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped
  • Warrior Women: An Archaeologist's Search for History's Hidden Heroines
  • A Dark History: The Kings and Queens of Europe
  • Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty
  • Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs
  • Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics
A prolific author of non-fiction, author of numerous books for young and old, Vicki León delights in unearthing unusual facts, fresh anecdotes, and uncommon statistics to create her books on the natural world and the flip side of history. Her book have won rave reviews from a long list of media that includes People magazine. Publishers Weekly, the Los Angeles Times, Voice of America, and numerous ...more
More about Vicki León...