Start by marking “Diane Arbus Revelations” as Want to Read:
Diane Arbus Revelations

Diane Arbus Revelations

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,377 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Diane Arbus redefined the concerns and the range of the art she practiced. Her bold subject matter and photographic approach have established her preeminence in the world of the visual arts. Her gift for rendering strange those things we consider most familiar, and uncovering the familiar within the exotic, enlarges our understanding of ourselves.

Diane Arbus Revelations a
Published September 30th 2003 by Random House (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Diane Arbus Revelations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diane Arbus Revelations

National Geographic by Leah Bendavid-ValChina by Tom  CarterThe Art Book by Phaidon PressSea of Ink  by Niamh King"Vanity Fair" Portraits by Graydon Carter
Best Coffee Table Books
12th out of 113 books — 76 voters
Ansel Adams by Ansel AdamsBrassai by BrassaïThe Americans by Robert FrankLet Us Now Praise Famous Men by Walker EvansA History of Women Photographers by Naomi Rosenblum
Exceptional Photography Books*
124th out of 346 books — 102 voters

More lists with this book...

Caris
Dec 14, 2009 Caris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Diane Arbus was an amazing woman. Her work really makes me think, which, up to now, was a reaction I had never had to a photograph. I don't know anything about photography, I'd like to say that up front. All that follows is completely amateur speculation and analysis of a few pictures that made an impression on me.

The first photograph that hit me was this one, which, due to the fact that it contains nudity, I am linking to rather than posting. Arbus went to lengths to incorporate the photographe
Vivienne Strauss
Even knowing how this book/life will end it was no less a tragedy. One of the quotes that really stuck with me was how so many people work a job and collect a paycheck so their days are not filled with searching for answers to unanswerable questions. The downside of being an artist. I think I'll not try to work today and just watch the birds from my window instead.
Íris
An exquisite personal author book, an open window to the soul of one of the greatest portrait photographers.
There's a strangeness, an odd approach to her subjects in the way they are photographed. As soon as the shutter clicks, something wonderful happens and is captured.
She knows how to approach the outcasts and freaks of society and give them an identity and an irrevocable place back into the world everyone else belongs. She enters their world and brings them out into ours.
Even her self-portra
Maureen
Sep 25, 2011 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alana, Becca
This is the most informative, thorough, and exquisite book on the life and work of Diane Arbus to date. The book is massive, and is an authority on the history of the photographer and her body of work. Featured in the book are the large scale prints everyone knows and loves, but there are also other images that are relatively rare, difficult to find on even the internet. Also included are high resolution images of Arbus's personal journal, contact sheets, negatives, postcards, filmstrips, and ot ...more
Zanzon Ahmed
Can anyone tell me how i can read books in this app ?
Michael
I'm not exactly sure how to review this. I picked it up because I saw the movie 'Fur', and I really enjoyed it, and I wanted to see what Arbus' work was like. The middle third of the book is biography and I wasn't as interested in that (but it's there and it's detailed).

Unfortunately, I am not well educated in photography, so I can't adequately describe her work, but I enjoyed it; she had a gift for capturing the strange and slightly off-kilter world around us that most people never see or choos
I have lusted over this book for years and now it's in my hands. Arbus was an amazing photographer in love with the underbelly of American culture.
"It would be beautiful to photograph the winners of everything from Nobel to booby prize, clutching trophy, or money or certificate, solemn or smiling or tear stained or bloody, on the precarious pinnacle of the human landscape."
Ivy Jeanne
I saw the Diane Arbus exhibit 3 times, first to view the photographs then to read the writing. I couldn't believe how amazing her writings were! I was torn between attempting to do both at first then decided to keep coming back. What a rare and beautiful soul to have a glimpse at. And she would have been a rad punk lyricist!
Shutterboy
This is a very in-depth biography about the life of Diane Arbus. It is extremely personal. Letters that she wrote, personal photos from childhood, diary pages, & personal thoughts & dreams are all reprinted in this book. Here photography work is all throughout the book. A very informative & gorgeous book. A must read!
Elyssa
I own this book because I could not get enough of the Diane Arbus exhibits in NYC. This is a solid overview of the artist which includes photographs and her biography. Most interesting is being able to view and read the handwritten excerpts from her diary, to-do lists, and random scribblings which reflect her creative process.
Eugene Goodale
This is a great book - a thorough, fascinating, fleshed out portrait of one of America's most influential photographers. It could also be used a a model for photographer monographs in general.
Margarite Baltruweit
Her documentary-style photos of society's margin-walkers were objective and reverential, while she often portrayed so-called normal people looking far more freakish than the freaks.
Mary
Jul 15, 2007 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: finito
When this exhibit came to LACMA, I took nearly everyone I knew to see it. I must have gone eight or nine times myself. It was amazing and wonderful.
K
Aug 29, 2007 K rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who will buy it for me
I didn't read every part of this book yet, but plan on renewing it from the library as much as possible. Amazing layout. Amazing photos. Great.
Rose
If you are familiar with Arbus, this is a must have. If you do not know her, wait for an exhibition before getting this book.
jojo the burlesque poetess
Spencer Reece wanted me to write with her photos around. and i can make arts from them too. i like poeting & paintry.
Cheri
This is my favorite "art" book that we own. I look at it all the time and I am never nothing but inspired.
David Barker
Oct 30, 2011 David Barker is currently reading it
Wonderfully detailed. A must have if you're into Arbus. Great illustrations. A huge book.
Alice
The best comprehensive collection of Diane Arbus's photography, plus notes about her life.
Brenda
The notes, work and a glimpse of the mind of this artist. I enjoyed it very much.
Jenny
The biggest gift to myself this year. And how I thank myself for it. LOVE her work.
Allyssa
I couldn't afford this book, but went to go see the show several times in L.A.
Allison
I love the library for letting me borrow this beautiful glossy book.
Lindy Loo
Didn't read it, but I viewed it. And it was fascinating.
Julie
did i mention how cool i am. You are impressed, right?
I just got this book. It's gorgeous. Marvelous.
Thea
Intriguing-whether intentionally shocking or not.
Sharon
  • Ansel Adams: 400 Photographs
  • William Eggleston's Guide
  • The Americans
  • Francesca Woodman
Diane Arbus was an American photographer, noted for her portraits of people on the fringes of society, such as transvestites, dwarfs, giants, prostitutes, and ordinary citizens in unconventional poses and settings.

Arbus' early work was created using 35mm cameras, but by the 1960s Arbus adopted the Rolleiflex medium format twin-lens reflex. This format provided a square aspect ratio, higher image r
More about Diane Arbus...
Diane Arbus: Monograph Diane Arbus: Untitled Diane Arbus: Magazine Work Arbus, Model, Stromholm Diane Arbus, a monograph of seventeen photographs /

“The thing that's important to know is that you never know. You're always sort of feeling your way.” 83 likes