Start by marking “The Book of Styling: An Insider's Guide to Creating Your Own Look” as Want to Read:
The Book of Styling: An Insider's Guide to Creating Your Own Look

The Book of Styling: An Insider's Guide to Creating Your Own Look

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This guide explains the what’s, why’s, and how’s of styling; so whether you’re looking to update your wardrobe or curate your closet, this book has the answer. Accomplished stylist Somer Flaherty helps readers figure out what their look is (or ought to be), and how to tailor that look to their own particular body type. Also, for all of the future Rachel Zoe’s out there, Fl ...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Zest Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Styling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Styling

Mandy
Jan 28, 2016 Mandy rated it it was ok
The book didn't seem to have a set audience. It started out like it was for teens, but later gave suggestions for things to 'tuck in your desk drawer at work'. It was pretty generic, and the last couple chapters dealt with being a stylist, which is not why I was read it.
Claire
Dec 23, 2014 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Not much in here that I didn't know, but it was still a good exhortation to my stony heart.
Tina
Jul 17, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Excellent styling advice that really got me thinking about outfits, colors and "looks" that would fit my body type.
Liesl
Feb 24, 2015 Liesl rated it liked it
Good book/advice for a younger age group--I would say teens-college
Stephanie
Oct 28, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
The Book of Styling was a really fun read! As a self-proclaimed fashionista I didn't think I'd learn a lot, but boy was I wrong! I followed the tips in this book and re-vamped my closet, and I can say in all honesty that I've never been happier with the result. After learning all the little tips and tricks contained in this book, finding something to wear is a snap. If you guys haven't heard of "The Rule of Threes" I definitely recommend you check out The Book of Styling and take control of your ...more
Kathy
Dec 29, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
I appreciate receiving this as a GoodReads winner. I felt it was well laid out, and had something for everyone no matter what their sense of style. It had good basic info on how to dress flatteringly for your body type, to how to put together fun outfits. This was more a book for younger women- perhaps late middle school through high school or early college. After I read it, I gave it to a young friend in college and she has very much enjoyed going through it for tips and ideas.
Bunny
This is another book from ZEST BOOKS that Sis keeps swiping off my TO READ pile. Its a beginners guide to fashion, with tips on how to attain certain "stylized" looks, and how to dress best for your body shape, etc.

Took me about an hour to flip through, but Sis has been keeping it in her room for "reference". I don't know how many times Ive had to put it back on my TBR after finding it in her room. lol
Melissa
May 25, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
I read books like this all of the time. Why have I not been keeping track of them? This one was a favorite because it talks about the power of three, how to dress for your body type, shows different types of style, how to curate your closet and more. The only read downside was the lack of real pictures.
Kenya Rodriguez
Jan 05, 2016 Kenya Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
This book is a perfect tool for the beginner of styling. This book will help you to know what to wear according to body type , and it will teach you how to mix clothes, and how to give a better use to your wardrobe.
Janet
Sep 18, 2012 Janet marked it as to-read
If anyone has seen me or my closet - they will definetly say I need this book. Any kind of help is very appreciated. Really hope I win this book. Will update with style makeover upon completion of book if I win !
Jordan
Dec 22, 2012 Jordan rated it liked it
Lots of usefull advice, but the activities seemed to be for someone more into fashion than me. The las two chapters were abot how to be a stylist so I didn't read them.
Dani
Feb 24, 2013 Dani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Somer Flaherty did an amazing job creating descriptions for fashion in this book of styling. I loved reading it and learned a lot. :)
Anja Manning
Oct 01, 2012 Anja Manning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
An excellent guide to the basics, with really cute illustrations, usable information. Suitable not only for teens!
Tiffany Newman
Feb 10, 2013 Tiffany Newman rated it it was amazing
really awesome book talks about how to style like a pro and a cheep way to make u look good and save money
Nicole
Jan 26, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
I'm kind of embarrassed by how actually helpful I found this YA style book...
Diamond
Diamond marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Arie Smith
Arie Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Kaider-Lover
Kaider-Lover rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Ashley Pearson
Ashley Pearson marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Emily Hratchian
Emily Hratchian marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Mary Compton
Mary Compton marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Chantal Gonzalez
Chantal Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
elin
elin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
  • Style Me Vintage: Make Up: Easy Step-by-Step Techniques for Creating Classic Looks
  • Style Me Vintage: Clothes: A Guide to Sourcing and Creating Retro Looks
  • Born Ugly
  • Seventeen Ultimate Guide to Style: How to Find Your Perfect Look
  • The ELLEments of Personal Style: 25 Modern Fashion Icons on How to Dress, Shop, and Live
  • Birthday Blues
  • The Color of Style
  • Library Lily
  • Amazing Face: clever beauty tricks, should-own products + spectacularly useful how-to-do-its
  • How to Hepburn: Lessons on Living from Kate the Great
  • Story Starters: A Workbook for Writers
  • What the Dog Said
  • Homer
  • A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book: 95 Inspiring Ideas for Photographing Your Friends, Your World, and Yourself
  • Rae: My True Story of Fear, Anxiety, and Social Phobia
  • When Love Comes to Town
  • Cupcakes and Cashmere: A Guide for Defining Your Style, Reinventing Your Space, and Entertaining with Ease
  • Secrets of Stylists: An Insider's Guide to Styling the Stars