Start by marking “Exit Papers from Paradise” as Want to Read:
Exit Papers from Paradise

Exit Papers from Paradise

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Frustrated thirty-five-year-old plumber Isaac Sullivan believes he has both the intellect and skill to be a surgeon. Forced to take over his father's plumbing business straight out of high school, Isaac's had dreams of attending the University of Michigan that fell by the wayside. However, the unfortunate setback didn't stop him entirely. For the past decade, he has absorb ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Dundurn Press (first published October 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Exit Papers from Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exit Papers from Paradise

J.T. Therrien
After reading Exit Papers, I'm adding Liam Card to my "Must Read Author" list! Although the ending to Exit Papers left me slightly disappointed, it was the perfect ending to a weird and wonderful novel. I loved the premise: Isaac is a small-town plumber who resents his job, having been forced into the family business after high school. His dream has always been to go to medical school and become a surgeon. I love the juxtaposition of the ideal scrubbed-clean, antiseptic environment of an operati ...more
Waj Hoda
A dark, yet humourous story that had me engaged from the very beginning. I found Liam Card's writing style refreshing and unique, and his use of Issac Sullivan's inner dialogue was brilliant--and disconcertingly, at least for me, strangely identifiable. The pacing was superb, and I had to take a deep breath when I turned the last page. Kudos to Liam Card on this entertaining piece of work.

If this is a debut effort, I am truly excited for what comes next.
Ami Bruce
I absolutely loved this book. The way that Liam Card writes his dark humor, I could identify with and found it funny. His character says the things you have swimming in your mind on a daily basis. If you've ever longed for a life different than that in which you're living or ever had the 'what ifs', this book is for you.

I would definitely recommend it!
Jay
Enjoyed the story and the unique way it is told - you really get inside the main characters head. Great job by Liam Card, looking forward to the next one!
Shannon
What a weird book. I don't know if it was genius and I wasn't or what. I kept wanting to put it down but kept reading. It did pick up once the main characters life started to pick up but this is a book that I found that I skimmed a lot. I usually don't skim but I didn't feel like I was missing anything by skimming this very strange book.

The writing was good. The ending abrupt. The daydreams - weird and his real life - weird. I think the book will stay with me for a long time and that in itself i
Diane
This book is a bit bonkers! IT's about a plumber who wanted to be a doctor but got locked into the family business when his father became injured. He immerses his life in medical theory and research, even hunting animals to practice surgical procedures on them. He wants to go back to school but can't bring himself to apply. He daydreams all the time, quite bizarre daydreams that, at first, you aren't sure aren't real until they get way over the top. He can't seem to make a committment in relatio ...more
Bonny
This has to be one of the funniest, quirkiest books about a funny, quirky character that I've ever read. Isaac is a plumber in Paradise, Michigan but he really wants to be a surgeon. After high school, he dutifully took over his father's plumbing business, but he's been dreaming about attending the University of Michigan as the first step toward becoming a surgeon. For many reasons, he's been afraid to actually apply to college, but he has been busy conducting surgery on animals, reading medical ...more
Meghan
I was a little unsure of this book, however is had a hard time putting it down. There was everything I enjoy in a book: humour, romance and character. The ending definitely left me wanting more. Can't wait to read the author's next book!
Jodi
It took me a few chapters to get into this book and other than the ending I enjoyed it especially the humorous parts that had me giggling out loud. I would give this book 3.5 stars.
Lori
What a really great read! The inner dialogue is so well written - you don't feel crazy for talking to yourself...... never mind the story itself. Thanks for the fun.
Alex
A very entertaining read. I'm looking forward to Liam Card's next novel.
Steven Buechler
We have all spend sleepless nights pondering what we have done in our lives. "What could we have become if opportunity X had only happened to us when we reached station Y." We tossed and turned and looked ourselves in the mirror in the morning wondering if we still have time to do something with meaning or are we delusional in our dreams. That is the thought process Liam Card has his protagonist go through in his brilliant novel Exit Papers from Paradise.

Gretchen
Quirky, but intelligently written. I loved the story and found it a bit sad. The inner dialog was both familiar and at times, funny. I look forward to more from this author. Great debut novel!
Donna
Ahespeler
I wanted to like this book, I really did...but I just couldn't. Obviously lots of other people on this website did but I don't really understand why. If you do decide to read it, maybe wait until it hits the bargain shelf at your local bookstore.
Thea
I don't know what's worse: the utterings of a neurotic genius trapped in a tragic set of circumstances or the abrupt cliffhanger of an ending (spoiler alert) that leads nowhere.

Why did I waste my time???
Rebecca
Interesting and kind of funny, but just not my style - Also, although it matched the rest of the book and the overall tone and theme of the story, I was not pleased with the ending.
Steven Elliott

Very interesting read with wonderful dialogue and a fine main character. Too bad the ending sort of killed the book and left me with an ugh.
Anna
Delightfully silly and quirky; very well done. . . but a crappy-ass ending you did *not* want to see.
Jacob Earl
I'd give it a higher rating, but I don't think the ending was a good wrap up. It felt like a cop out.
Kim Curran
This was a great story, right up until the ending,which I hated!
Margaret Bryant
Unique plot, great pace.
Cachelle
I enjoyed how Liam Card seemed to have and write a deep understanding of the neurotic genius main character. I enjoyed the character development the most and enjoyed reading a book that highlighted the depth that one might go if they cannot stand up for themselves and make decisions that impact their life and future. Let this be a lesson to us all - don't wait, go for it!.
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Pattie
Pattie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Penney
Penney marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Liam was born in Paisley, Ontario. While attending Saugeen District Secondary School, Liam was a two-time Canadian Jr. Champion (400m) and represented Canada at the Pan-Am Jr. Games and the World Jr. Track and Field Championships. From there, Liam attended the University of Iowa and the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill on a full athletic scholarship. While attending these two universitie ...more
More about Liam Card...