Saddled and Spurred

Saddled and Spurred (Blacktop Cowboys #2)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  3,564 ratings  ·  264 reviews
Cattleman Bran Turner is left shorthanded during busy calving season when a bull tramples his hired hand. Rural Wyoming isn't exactly a hotbed of qualified candidates, and the only applicant for the position is the pampered town beauty, Harper Masterson. The curvy cowgirl gets under Bran's skin at every turn, but with no other options, he reluctantly hires her.

When sexual...more
Audio CD, Unabridged
Published March 5th 2012 by Tantor Media (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Saddled and Spurred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saddled and Spurred

Auntee
Mar 01, 2011 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of erotic romance; Fans of Lorelei James's Rough Riders series
I really liked this one! A welcome improvement over the first book in the series (Corralled), mainly because I liked the heroine, 24 year-old Harper Masterson, so much.

Former pageant queen and 'girly-girl' Harper, the middle of three sisters, is the family's caretaker. Her older sister is overseas serving in the military, her bad-rep Mom flew the coop with her boyfriend and left Harper to tend to her younger (and self-centered) teenage sister. Responsible Harper has put her education and her dre...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness

Dear Lorelei James,

Today I finished your erotic masterpiece ‘Saddled and Spurred’. Ms. James there is something special about your stories. I have a bad habit of forgetting I have two small children needing my upmost attention and a hubby waiting for dinner when Im reading your books. I think im in need of a dirty spanking. Well in my defence I only think this way because you seem to always include spanking in your books and all the chic’s love it.
I was so excited when your second in this serie...more
Splage
Now I see the potential in this series!! I am a diehard fan of Lorelei James'. I love her Rough Rider series and thought the first book of Blacktop Cowboys was good, but lacking compared to Rough Riders. Saddle and Spurred has made the turn back to what I love about Lorelei James; hot, hot adventuresome sex with characters you love and good stories. When I am finished with a LJ book, I can't wait for the next one to come out because the potential characters and story lines are alluring and entic...more
Robin *loves sexy books*
Loved it. Harper was sweet and strong and Bran was so delicious. I really loved them together. I also liked that she wasn't so hung up on not wanting to be her mom that she put Bran off over and over. I hate when a character is too stubborn. This flowed a lot better than the first book for me. I think with the first book of a series there is so much set up and character introductions that sometimes the story between the main characters isn't as prominent as I think it should be.

Having said that,...more
Bookaholics
Saddled and Spurred by Lorelei James
Western Romance -March 1st, 2011
4 ½ stars

This is the second in Lorelei James’s contemporary western series called Blacktop Cowboys. The first was Corralled and some of the characters are featured in Saddled and Spurred. However, Saddled and Spurred can easily be read by itself.

In this enjoyable western, Bran Turner is a rancher down on his luck in a depressed area of Wyoming. His only ranch hand suffered an injury during the busiest time of the year and help i...more
Isis FG
I've read a large majority of Lorelei James's book and enjoyed them - some I loved - but the first book in this series was a total dud for me. So I was wary of this second book but I knew I had to give it a chance because LJ had proven time and again before that she can write a good erotic romance. And I'm so glad I gave this book a chance. I really enjoyed it, so much more than the first book.

Series Note:
Second book in Lorelei James's series "Blacktop Cowboys" about rodeo cowboys. I wouldn't sa...more
Wminbc
Hot, sweaty, sticky and sweet...just how I love my cowboy stories. And this one had it all...real, ranching, raunchy cowboys...smart, sassy, sweet women and a whole lot of "gettin' to know ya" smexing.

Just a little thought on Bran: Here's his photo

description

Harper is the middle child labelled with her mamma's whore tag. Harper moved back to Muddy Gap during her third year of college to take care of her baby sister, while her older sister was in the Army. Bailey, the younger sister, takes her sister's mon...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
4.5 Stars

This review was posted at Under The Covers

Words that can best describe this book for me:
Rough, Hot, Dirty, Fast, Dominant, Wild

Don't let the inspirational cover look-a-like fool you! =) This book is hawt! After finishing Corralled, and even though I liked it, there was something missing. I think that something was the family and community bond that is now present in Saddled and Spurred.

Hank and Kyle, the men of book one, are actually all part of a group of friends that we learn more abo...more
Dee
I had read the first in the series a little while ago but was a little disappointed with it so decided it best to leave them. I was in the mood for an ER last night and this one was close to the top of the pile so decided to give it a go.

I have to say that this was much better and although I enjoyed it a lot more, I still don't think this series is as good as the Rough Riders series.
Kellie G.
Loved this one! Read it in 1 day! Fantastic main characters with scorching hot chemistry! Now I'm totally hooked on this series
Audrey
I'm conflicted about this book. Objectively, I'm pretty sure it's a good example of erotic romance and a couple exploring beyond "vanilla" sex. My ratings are subjective, though, and I can't say it was more than just "okay" for me. I found myself skim-reading the sexytimes to get back to the plot. Unfortunately, I thought the plot itself was rather bare-bones and couldn't hold my interest enough.

I initially liked the characters a lot. Harper, the surprisingly down to earth and friendly beauty q...more
Buggy
Opening line:"You're firing me?"

Cattleman Bran Turner (Bran, really!?) is left shorthanded during calving season and since rural Wyoming and in particular the sleepy town of Muddy Gap doesn’t have an overabundance of qualified help he reluctantly hires Harper Masterson for the job. Now while this down on her luck, former beauty queen may not look the part of your typical ranch hand (the gem encrusted sunglasses and leopard print gloves are a dead giveaway) Harper proves to be a quick study and m...more
Karla

5 Stars!Wonderful…LJ does it again with this second installment in the Blacktop series!

This book had it all, a sweet, fun, steamy, sexy, heart-warming love story. Bran is the gruff, charming cattle rancher who hires the loveable, strong-willed Harper as his helper. It was fun to see their working relationship evolve into something more and watch Bran turn inside out with his desire for Harper. She was gutsy and funny, everything I love in a female character. Laugh out loud moments, terrific dia...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
The reviews for this book are great and I'd like to read it, BUT Penguin is asking $12.99 for the ebook. No way! I'll wait until February when (hopefully) the wrongs in the publishing industry are righted and the outrageous pricing will drop.
Nikki
5 stars.

Best LJ book ever, even beating my favourite of her Rough Riders series - Cowgirl Up and Ride. I can't put my finger on every little thing that made Saddled and Spurred spectacular except to say that each aspect of it was quite simply perfect.

The hero - Bran - was hot, hard-working, gruff but not rude, caring but not sickly sweet. He wasn't overly Alpha but still permeated a strong, silent type of vibe.

Harper, our heroine, was fantastic. YES! FANTASTIC HEROINE AT LAST! She was a former...more
Holly
I really enjoyed this book, so much more than the first one, I knew that Corralled was a fluke for me because I am a great lover of Lorelei James and this book was more of what I love from her. This story felt more real to me, the love, the emotion, everything was so much easier to relate to!! Bran was the kind of hard ass Alpha that I love and even though Harper was 'technically' a beauty queen, she was one kick ass chick and I loved her!! Together they detonated off the pages!! Of course there...more
Kathleen
I really liked this book A LOT, but I can't say that it amazed me.
The story was good, the characters very likable. It took a while for the heat to turn up but when it did, I think it blazed too much too fast and too often and the story lag a bit at that point.
If your a fan of Lorelei's then I highly recommend you give this book a try. It was well worth reading and I look forwards to the next book.
Naima
One of the things that I like most about Lorelei James' books is that she is such an adept world builder that I actually enjoy how she weaves characters arcs throughout a series and that the introduction of numerous new characters and plots does not overshadow the excitement of the central romantic relationship.

She excelled at this skill in Saddled and Spurred.

Feeling much more like a contemporary romance than her previous books, Harper and Bran take a bit of time to get to know each other befo...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
4.5 Stars

Lorelei James is one fantastic, sizzling hot blooded, truly talented lady and I would love the opportunity to buy her a drink, but alas, I live on the other side of the world.

I haven’t read a Lorelei James novel in a while. Mainly because she popped my erotica cherry and whilst immersed in the Rough Riders series my husband refused to keep up with my sexual demands and declined taking time off work to “meet my needs” whilst reading said series. It was sooo god damn hot that I had to tak...more
ൠSinful
YeeHaw!
I just love Lorelei James and I love that she's creating a whole new town of cowboys for us to play in. The first book in the Blacktop Cowboys series, Corralled, was good. This one is bettah.

Harper is raising her sister and as soon as her sister graduates in a few months they are both out of the small town of Muddy Gap. The town has judged this beauty queen by her mother's whoring faults for too long and she is ready to be done with them.
Unfortunately the business she clerked for has gone...more
Tam
Did I really like this book? Yes and No. I'll start with the No part:

I say no because it was a bit expected in some ways and because of that I got bored before I was close to the final big conflict. In some ways the structure of the story didn't keep me hooked but...

Yes. I liked the characters and how they interacted. I liked Harpers determination, and Bran's insecurities. I thought it was an interesting plot.

I'm hot and cold about Lorelei James. I like what she does sometimes, but other times I...more
Cyn Mistress Kitty
I loved this book. LJ came through with another great story and in my opinion much better than Corralled. I really liked Bran and Harper and felt they were perfect together. I loved that Harper was such a strong woman and didn't take crap. She was a girly-girl but could get get down in the cow poop with the best of them. She was a hard worker and took care of her bratty, self centered sister. There were so many times I laughed out loud such as with the goat incident and the bunnies. These two ha...more
MountainKat
*4.5 Stars*

What a sweet story! Bran and Harper were so wonderful together, and they didn't even fight it too much! I loved Harper, she worked so hard at everything she did and in the end even worked hard for herself. Bran was the typical sexy cowboy, but even as such he didn't fight falling for Harper too much. Les was an ass, but I'm guessing we were supposed to feel that way as he had no redeeming features that I could see Fortunately, his part was small in the story. I really enjoyed this boo...more
Yodamom
3.7 stars.
Harper, has been stuck in this town raising her teenage sister for more years then she'd liked. Her mother ran off leaving them alone with a terrible reputation thanks to her loose ways. Most of the town folks expect the same of her. She trudges on, working for the day her sister graduates and heads off to college and out of Mud Creek. She can see the finish line it's only months away when she is forced to find a new job. the only job available is with one hard arse good looking cowboy...more
Kim O
Gosh.....what can I say about this book that I haven't said many, many times already? This was a re-read for me because I love their story so much. I laughed (fainting goats) and cried both times I read it. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of it. Bran and Harper are one of my ALL TIME favorite couples. Bran epitomizes the strong, sexy, gen-u-ine cowboy!! He's stubborn and pig-headed and half the time I wanted to strangle him, but he has soooo many redeeming qualities it's hard not to fall for...more
DD
This story takes place in the town of Muddy Gap, Wyoming. Sound quaint? Not really. No B & B’s for this little place. Former local beauty queen Harper Masterson (love the Name) has a drunken skank for a mother that ran off and left her to look out for her younger sister, Bailey, who is a Senior in high school. The oldest sister, Liberty, is enlisted in the Army and currently stationed in Afghanistan. Momma Masterson ran off with some local putz, pissed off everyone in town, leaving Harper st...more
Guilty Pleasures
Do NOT pass on reading Saddled and Spurred if you did not like Corralled as much as you thought you would. Saddled and Spurred is an AWESOME READ!!! I didn't want it to end!!!! LJ has a way of penning emotions so clear, it puts you right there in her books, and not just from the woman's point of view, she clearly gives us what the man is feeling as well. And she always has an ACTUAL story to go along with all the hot sex.

This book has it all steam, hot sex, drama, laughs, oh the laughs. LJ has...more
Ana
4 stars

Harper Masterson needs a job. Unfortunately, the only one available is the ranch-hand. Now, to some people that would be the norm, but Harper has some issues:

1. she never really worked on a ranch so she doesn't exactly know what to do (of course, she is a fast learner so that shouldn't be a problem)
[image error]

2.fainting goats, enough said (I loved that scene, it was so funny)
3. and the most important thing - her new boss, Bran.

Bran does need help with his ranch, but being stuck with Ha...more
Vallsykes
Alright, no hedging, I just straight out liked this book. It helped to assuage a bit of my current appetite for Western Romances.

Two things to point out about the hero and Heroine:
*Bran Turner wasn't my type of hero, but I liked that the author showed his vulnerabilities and mistakes, in bed and out. In the bedroom, I thought the encounters between Bran and his HEA, Harper, were sort of hot, funny, and ..well..REAL. Bran makes two hiccups that are no-nos and I suspect would make the female reade
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I am SO in love with this book!And the big reason is because of the heroine, Harper Masterson. I wanted to marry her because lezbi-honest here, she had spunk and class and the smarts. Everything I wanted in a heroine, Harper was that girl! I found myself totally immersed in Harper's world, rolling through the emotions along with her. She is the epitome of a great heroine. Perfect!

Bran, oh BRAN! I ended up loving him too. The end where he woos her? IT MELTED ME. *dramatic happy sigh* He's the kin...more
  • Rocky Mountain Haven (Six Pack Ranch, #2)
  • UnRidden (Studs in Spurs, #1)
  • A Tall Dark Cowboy
  • Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? (Turner Brothers, #1)
  • Make Mine a Bad Boy (Deep in the Heart of Texas, #2)
  • The Real Deal (Roped, #1)
  • Unbreakable (The Dalton Gang, #2)
  • Do Over
  • Half Hearts
  • Unbridled
  • Texas Two Step (Texas Montgomery Mavericks #1)
  • The Bikini Diaries
Lorelei James is New York Times & USA Today Bestselling author of contemporary erotic westerns and erotic romances. She lives in western South Dakota.
More about Lorelei James...
Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1) Cowgirl Up and Ride (Rough Riders, #3) Rough, Raw, and Ready (Rough Riders, #5) Tied Up, Tied Down (Rough Riders, #4) All Jacked Up  (Rough Riders #8)

“I plan to use my hands, my mouth, and my cock to fuck that basic vanilla sex right outta you.” 97 likes
“Bran grabbed her sleeve, forcing her to look at him. "What in the hell is goin' on with you?" "What is wrong with me? What is wrong with your goats? They're evil! And they're laughing at me! Look at their smug little goat faces! Go on. Look at them!” 45 likes