Operation Trinity (The 39 Clues: The Cahill Files, #1)

Operation Trinity (The 39 Clues: The Cahill Files #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,199 ratings  ·  64 reviews
A brand new adventure from the world of The 39 Clues!
For 500 years, the Cahills have been the most powerful family in the world. For 500 years, they've protected the source of their power - the 39 Clues. And for 500 years, they've kept their secrets silent. Until now.
This extraordinary stand-alone novel cracks open the Cahill vault to tell the story of the most coveted p...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Scholastic Inc. (first published May 1st 2012)

The Maze of Bones by Rick RiordanInto the Gauntlet by Margaret Peterson HaddixThe Sword Thief by Peter LerangisOne False Note by Gordon KormanThe Dead of Night by Peter Lerangis
The 39 Clues
17th out of 26 books — 36 voters
Amaranth by John  KellettThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Maze of Bones by Rick RiordanThe Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis
What should be read by 13 year olds
23rd out of 93 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Melanie
My friends have always thought that it rather strange that I like to read "tween" books or some good old fantasy novels, rather than all those YA paranormal romances they're so fond of. But honestly, what would you rather read? A kickass tale of Grace Cahill saving an awesome piece of artwork from Nazis, or (yet another) novel about Mary Sue getting a makeover, discovering (yet another) magickal world full of magickal tall, dark, handsome, possibly secretly royal/rich guys with an angsty past, a...more
Angie
Doing my read-a-thon this week!! This was my first book and I read it in about 2 hours. http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.co...

Notice above in the goodreads description it says this is a stand alone novel. I disagree. I feel like you might get what's going on, but you really should'nt read this unless you have actually read the 39 Clues series. I didn't even know this book existed until I was looking through the new orders from my library and saw it. Then I found out that there are four "Cahill...more
XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL
Jun 05, 2014 XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like adventure
Recommended to XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL by: Public Library
Kevin Lin
The 39 Clues Cahill Files: Operation Trinity Scholastic Inc., 2012, 142 pp., $9.99
Clifford Riley ISBN 978-0-545-43143-9

Operation Trinity skips around to different events on people with the last name Cahill. They have to stop an evil organization, Vesper. According to the knowledge I gain after reading the book, the Cahill are supposed to be the protector of humanity, their main objective is to keep the Vesper from harming people and found out the real reason why they are after painting. What are...more
Hudson Campbell
I can tell you right now it's not bad, but its not the best book, either.

This book has 3 stories in it, all about a family of powerful and rich people called 'Cahills.'
It skips years, so the first story is from 1549 or something like that. The kid in this story is sent away by his family to be an altar boy, to protect an altarpiece from an organisation of people called 'The Vespers.' They are trying to get ahold of the special altarpiece because they say it has clues o a secret, we don't know w...more
Christian
At this point the Cahill sage, I think I enjoy the inter-book novellas more than the actual series. The smaller adventures have a stronger cohesion that doesn't seem like we're going through the same actions again and again, even though that is, in essence, what we're doing.

This story follows three events surrounding the Ghent altarpiece by Van Eyck. It was an effective way to connect that particular artwork to the sage of the Cahills and the Vespers. The first event involved the iconoclastic re...more
Garrett
I liked how the three parts of the book spanned many years but were connected by the same piece of artwork. It's one of the reasons why I love art, knowing that when I look at something, I am connected through time and space by all the other people that have experienced the same work. It was fun to get to know Grace Cahill's character better, and Riley did a nice job of maintaining continuity with the last time we saw young Grace in Morocco however many books ago. What stunk was that there were...more
Cathrine Bonham
The format for this book is the same as the format used in the eleventh 39 clues book Vespers Rising in which short episodes, from the far past, Grace's past, and the Present, form one story.
This is the story of the Van Eyck altarpiece. The secrets that it holds and lengths that the Vespers will go to to get it.

This has the potential to be a very interesting series expanding on the 39 clues universe and letting us get to know more of the Cahills. Sadly the rest of the books are only available as...more
Vidhi
Amazing! It is a must read for fans of the 39 clues series!
Madison
I adore the Ghent altarpiece and anything about Grace:)
Mark
leads on to cahills vs vespers great book :)
PWRL
Jun 30, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
SM
Miss Clark
Rishi G
I was really excited when I started reading this. I was really disappointed because from page 3 to page 43, the whole story was so boring. When the author started Grace's story, it got a little exciting but eventually it got boring again. The whole book doesn't have a story at all!! I have read his rapid fire series and I was amazed by the story in it. So I thought operation trinity would be a good book. It turned out to be bad. It's a ok book.
Ujwals
This book was a background book, filling you in on information that goes along with the series (39 clues.) It follows the Cahills, and their attempts to protect and decode a painting. It jumped between three generations, each one telling a different story.

This book was average. I didn't necessarily like it too much, but was worth a read. It gave good background info, and why things were the way they were in the the main series.
Alexis
In a nutshell: A prequel to the 39 Clues and Cahills v. Vespers starring Grace Cahill.

Notes: Liked that this book featured Grace instead of Dan and Amy. But I felt like this book felt rushed and wasn't as exciting as the other books. It was nice, though, reading about Grace as a teenager—her in action like we've come to know Amy and Dan in action—and then a little bit more of her before her death (the start of 39 clues).
Melissa Sodano
Despite the fact that this book does not chronologically fall within the 39 Clues, this book provides some interesting back story. Riley follows a particular work of art by Jan Van Eyck through three (non-consecutive) generations of Cahills, each of whom must protect it from the Vespers. A fun read, though you don't have to read it in order to know what's going on in the rest of the series.
Mjohnson
One of the best! We get to go back in time to hear , once again, from Grace Cahill in these "Cahill Files." She's really my favorite. And she's fighting Nazis in WWII. I'm only disappointed that (after much searching) the next books in this series will only be digital. I realize why, of course, they would be, but I so enjoy sharing the print edition with others.
Jovy
At the first couple of pages I was confused but as I kept reading it all started making sense... I like the idea of the Cahill mission throughout the ages. Also, this book made Grace a human being in my eyes, she basically have the same thoughts and feelings as Amy and Dan when she was younger not like her almost godly status on the first books in the first series.
Amy
The kids have read The 39 Clues books before, so when I saw this on the shelf I checked it out. I haven't read the books, but I think I'm now ready to. This gives you a History on the Cahills, and the story behind the search, and who they're fighting against.
Quick, and good.
Three stories. About how they were chosen, and why they keep searching.
Angela Oliver
A short chapter book spanning three different generations of the Cahill family and following the fate of a particular painting. Fast paced and action packed, this is a good, quick read and also gives some insight into the background of Ian and Nathalie Kabra, along with their cold-blooded mother. It was also nice to see Grace playing her part.
Richard
I think it was a good book, since it happened in different times, one in the 1600s, one happening in world war 2, which I liked the best, since it is about Grace Cahill sneaking into Austria to save a painting. The third one is happening in 2009, where a guy called Ian Kabra is trying to steal top secret information from one of his enemys.
2jindal_nirmit
I think this book is a real secret spiller! This book lets out all of the secrets that the Cahills and Vesper families have to hide. The Catherdal is the main item in this book and it has a great significance linking to the past. If you are a person that likes secrets and ones that link to the past then I would recommend this book to you.
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
This was a really great glimpse into 3 stories that were before and behind the scenes of the 39 Clues. One of the stories was about Grace and one of her first missions. It was really cool to read and see a part of the beginning.
If your a fan of the series I would recommend adding this to your tbr list.
Nicole
This was actually 3 different stories. Each one related to one piece of artwork from History. I enjoyed the story, but there was too much missing. Each story ended so abruptly. They each needed more. Plus, it never explained why the painting was so important. Not sure I'll finish this series.
Chris

I enjoyed how we were able to get to know Grace better as well as see that the tension and uncertainty that Ian has regarding his mother began even before the clue hunt began. I am still enthralled by the fact that so many authors can write one series so seamlessly.
Marcia Adversalo

I love the 39 Clues series. This is just another example of how great this series can be. I'm excited that there is potential for so many new books in this series. It's great to learn more backstory. I love seeing Grace Cahill as a younger person!
Kimberly
After reading the regular 39 Clues series and the 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers series, it was nice to read a bit of the back story on Grace Cahill (she's featured as a teenager) and the Kabras in this book. Amy and Dan aren't in it at all.
George Scott
I'm a fan of the 39 Clues series because of the mysteries to be figured out. This book had nothing. The one mystery of the missing painting, isn't even solved. It just shows up in the last scene. I'm a little disappointed.
Chris Anderson
I really enjoyed this new entry into the 39 Clues collection. This set of books tells stories of the Cahills vs. Vespers over the centuries. No Caldecott medals in their future, but still decent writing and interesting stories.
  • Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #1)
  • Breakaway (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #2)
  • Countdown (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #3)
  • Flashpoint (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #4)
  • The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • Day of Doom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #6)
  • 39 Clues Agent Handbook
  • The Black Book of Buried Secrets
  • Divide and Conquer (Infinity Ring #2)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues, #10)
  • Cave of Wonders (Infinity Ring, #5)
Legacy (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #1) Turbulence (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #5) Crushed (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #4) Invasion (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #6) Ignition (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #2)